Search This Blog

Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Twenty-Four

"Really, Annie why don't you wear this dress tonight?" advises Lydia Russell pulling out a dress that she bought for Annie on their last shopping spree at an exclusive clothing store "I bought it for you as a gift and you haven't worn it yet.  I think tonight would be a perfect night to wear it."
Annie shifts in front of the mirror having already chosen an attractive dress but one that she has worn for many special events. "I don't know.  Do you think it will be too much?"
"You will look beautiful in it.  We're going to The Met tonight, there are all extremes of dress there from divine and elegant to casual.  Whatever you choose to wear, you will fit in" then sarcastically adding Lydia Russell "Of course I wouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt.  I wouldn't doubt they would let you in."
"It is very pretty.  I like the simple lines of the black dress" agrees Annie holding it up to her in the mirror and taking her other hand to hold her hair up as tresses fall down along her cheeks "It is rather flattering."
"Good.   I've made appointments to have our hair done in an hour.  I like the idea of an up-do, it looks quite nice on you" suggests Lydia Russell "You'll have such a good time with Elliot tonight."
"Yes, I suppose so" half-heartedly agrees Annie wondering why she has a continual nagging feeling that he isn't all that he presents himself to be.
"You are being ridiculous!" chides Lydia Russell  "At Commissioner Darlrymples dinner all he could talk about was you and how wonderful you are.  He seems very charmed by you, Annie.  Any other woman would be ecstatic that such a catch would be interested in them.  He's probably the most eligible man in the Army right now and you're acting as if he is just one in the ocean."
"He's nice and has been a good friend to me, but something is missing" honestly explains Annie "He likes to flirt a lot too which makes me uncomfortable.  He seems to crave a lot of attention."
"You're just a little jealous.  Women do throw themselves at him because he is so attractive.  It doesn't matter how many woman want him but that he only wants you" advises Lydia Russell.
"I would rather that he didn't provoke their attention even if he wants me.  I want someone who feels that I am enough for them" replies Annie resolute in her feelings "I want someone who loves me more than their need to be admired."
"Well, he's young and a little immature on that point.  But I'm sure it is just a phase" compromises Lydia Russell having observed his friendly manner with both Beth and Ariel Clay when Annie is not present "Once he is committed to you so will be his heart."
"I'd rather find someone who in loving me commits before anything agreement is made" argues Annie.
"He will, dear.  He's almost there, I am sure of it" encourages Lydia Russell "His whole countenance lights up when he talks about you.  He's quite taken with you even if you don't realize it yet."
"I  wish he's save some of that sparkle just for me, he seems to be quite generous in sharing it when there is someone pretty around that has noticed him" counters Annie "At least he is very nice to me and he does make me feel special and the most important person in the room when I am with him."
"See ... I know you feel the same way ... he does care about you" agrees Lydia Russell smiling while standing behind Annie in the mirror and placing her hands on each of her shoulders.  "He's been attractive to you because of what you have on the inside of you, tonight you're going to show him a little sparkle of your own on the outside."
"I guess you're right.  I certainly haven't encouraged him to like me but we seem to get along well.  He likes who I am without trying to impress him at all" considers Annie "which really isn't that bad of quality to have".
"Before you know it, you'll be falling in love with him too" delighted states Lydia Russell "it doesn't hurt that he comes from such a prestigious Army heritage and that he has a little money to go around too.  He'll make a very nice home for you Annie and he loves you too. What more does woman want?"
"I don't need money or a name, but I do want someone that sincerely loves me and that I love with their whole heart too" sighs Annie not sure that Elliot would even understand what it means to love someone with their entire soul.
"We shall see" smug lydia Russell is determined to convince Annie that Elliot is the right man for her "I'll meet you downstairs in the lobby in about ten minutes and we can leave for our hair appointments".
The door closes behind Lydia Russell as Annie can hear her greet her father "Oh Mr. Elliot, you look so handsome today!  I'll have to watch out for you!"
After Lydia Russell leaves, Annie collapses on the bed and stares at her phone glancing at pictures of Rick and the kids from the summer.  Her heart fills with sadness and longing remembering sweet moments that they shared just a few short months ago.   She enlarges the picture that Rick took of them with her phone as they were arriving at the airport to return to the states.  The silence is deafening as she feels her heart pounding as tears try to force their way to be felt.  Annie swallows and takes in a deep breath staying still in hopes that the stillness will quiet her heart as well.
A few tears escape which she quickly brushes away, blinking to prevent anymore from leaving their home.  "I won't care" she states out loud to convince herself of a new mantra "I need to move on.  Rick has already forgotten about me and I need to deal with it."
She forces herself to get up from the bed and finds her coat laying on the chair.  As she's placing her scarf around her neck, Annie can feel the determination for a new start building within her.  "I will be fine" she confidently tells her reflection in the mirror as her heart refuses to agree with her.
A few hours later the Eliot family is gathered together in the living room.   Everyone is dressed and ready to go, but they are waiting on Annie to finish up since both Beth and Ariel Clay took as long as possible in the bathroom with their own accessory needs.
"I'm coming" yells Annie from the closed door "I'm just putting my shoes on."
"I don't mind waiting" offers Elliot looking forward to seeing Annie dressed up for the first time to attend the opera accustomed to seeing her in jeans and sweaters "I know women like to have a few extra minutes to look special."
"I wish she would hurry up.  She's always last" pouts Beth "I don't understand why it takes her so long.  She's had the room to herself for fifteen minutes, that's plenty enough time to get yourself ready."
"Maybe we took a little too long today.  I know that I an hour to myself and I think you had a little longer than even that" apologetically adds Ariel Clay knowing that Beth selfishly monopolized the bathroom for two hours to prepare for tonight.
"She's fine.  Annie never needs much time to get ready.  She doesn't do anything with herself anyway" begrudgingly  remarks Beth jealous of her sister's natural beauty  "I don't know why she bothers at all, she doesn't care if anyone is looking at her or not."
A few seconds later, Annie walks out into the room.  "You look beautiful Annie!" exclaims her father "I've never seen you look so pretty before.  You might be in competition with me for the most attractive member of this family tonight!
Elliot moves to stand next to her.  He quietly places her coat on her shoulders as he whispers in her hear "You look lovely tonight, never more beautiful."
"Thank you" Annie blushes looking down wondering what all the fuss is about or the envious look in the eyes of her sister and her best friend.
"Annie, see I told you that dress was perfect for you.  It looks like it was made specifically for you!" exclaims Lydia Russell thrilled with her expertise of choosing exactly the right dress.
Shyly Annie smiles and checks to make sure that not too much is showing but is met with a fierce look from Lydia Russell of "Don't-you-dare-touch-that-to-cover-anything -up!"  So Annie decides to cover herself with her coat anyway.  Elliot catches her eyes and lingers in  his stare for a few seconds longer than usual while moving closer to her and placing his arm around her waist refusing to let go as she walks towards the door.
The Opera is entertaining.  Each have brought their own pair of opera glasses to watch back and forth between the stage and the words translated into English in the electronic captions in front of them.  But Elliot often "borrows" Annie's glasses and makes quiet commentary of the show, either brushing her cheek with his hand to whisper to her and staying very close to tell of his secret commentary.
Annie is very flattered by Elliot's attention but her thoughts drift to a discussion she had with Rick about the very same opera not to long before.  She sighs and wonders why the person she loves isn't the one sitting her next to her whispering sweet nothings into her ear.
The opera has an outstanding finale. As they begin to leave the auditorium, Elliot grabs her hand as they exit The Met for the subway.  Lydia Russell smiles smugly in her achievement at creating such a great match.
In contrast, Beth has met a very attractive young man during the intermission and appears not to be bothered that Elliot is lost within the depths of her sister.  The man walks with them to the station getting Beth's number and setting up to meet her tomorrow which immensely pleases her. 
Mr. Eliot walks with Lydia Russell on one side and Ariel Clay on the other, both showering him with compliments on his choice of entertainment for the evening, his ego being sufficiently stroked. 
As Elliot incessantly continues to talk, keeping as close as possible to her, Annie thoughts trail to another place and time.  She seems a familiar figure in the shadows on the other side of the fountain.  She talks within herself "Don't be ridiculous.  It couldn't be him.  You need to get yourself together!"
Noticing that Annie hasn't responded to the question causing a break in his pretentious soliloquy, Elliot asks "Is everything all right?"
"Yes, I just thought that I saw someone that I knew but I was mistaken" explains Annie shaking her head "It's been a wonderful night. Thank you."
"My pleasure.  We'll definitely have to do this again" smiles Elliot as he pulls her closer to him and kisses her cheek as her family watches quite thrilled with the attachment that appears to be growing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment