Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Covenant - Chapter Twenty-Nine


The cool rain slowly drizzles against the pavement keeping its own rhythm of time and space.  While trying to dash between the raindrops, Annie notices a collection of water huddles above her in the green canvas veranda with simple white trim of the flower shop.  Observing the potential collision, Rick reaches out to move her away from the oncoming waterfall.  He keeps her hand in his own and doesn’t let go.

Outside the little storefront café former Christmas lights decorate the bare tree branches as their soft glow illuminates the local favorite restaurant.  Scents of fresh baked bread and other candied delicacies radiate into the night air as the wind catches the movement of the entrance doors.

The neatly organized hostess directs them to a corner table set for two.  They comfortably settle into their seats and absorb the menus laid before them.  After a few moments, Annie steals a glance at Rick and observes the way his forehead wrinkles as he concentrates, kindly remembering how he naturally sets his jaw before making a decision even if it is a basic choice between pie or cake.   She smiles to herself as some things appear to never change.

Looking up he rubs his chin while locking eyes with Annie just before her eyes fall back down to focus on her menu of assorted desserts and coffees.  There is so much he wants to say but his thoughts fumble as they experiment with words on how to begin as he overhears the most generic words tumble out of his mouth, “So, what looks good to you?”

For a second Annie slightly blushes acknowledging the awareness of her first impulse to respond “you do”, but then tempers her summation and answers more politely, “I think that I might try the carrot cake, I saw it in the display case as we walked in.  It looks delicious!  A hot chocolate sounds good too. What are you going to have?”

“Let’s see …. “, perusing the menu again Rick responds while closing his menu and handing it back to the waitress who daily challenges herself to accurately remembering orders without writing them down “I’m going to have the key lime pie with coffee.”

As Annie quickly surveys the room, trying to gather her thoughts on what to say next, she hears Rick ask “So, what have you been doing these last few months since we were in Peru?”

She stares blankly at him for a moment trying to remember what happened between the time she last saw him and now but nothing comes to mind except for the reality of how much she missed him, “Not much … my family was invited to spend a few months in New York so I came along with them.  I’ve been working at DHQ for the development department writing ads, mail appeal, thank you letters, etc.  It isn’t exactly my long term dream, but I’m able to write in the meantime.  How have things been going with you?  I saw that you are on leave between your new appointment and missionary service.”

“Yes, I have a couple of months to relax before beginning in a new place.  It seems likely that I will be stationed at the school to teach” replies Rick having just had a conversation with the personnel secretary a couple of days before “It will be a new experience."

“I think you would make a great teacher and mentor for the cadets” compliments Annie feeling as if there really couldn’t be a better choice.

“Thanks.  I hope the cadets feel the same way next year” replies Rick sincerely hoping to make a good mark that will impact them for life and teach them more than words from a book.

As Annie sips on her hot chocolate, a trace of whipped cream remains at the top of her lip. Rick without thinking, reaches out to wipe it away with his thumb. She giggles while smiling at him. He hears himself involuntarily say out loud “I’ve missed you.”

Slowly looking up Annie catches his eye and quietly whispers “I’ve missed you too.”

While absorbing her words, Rick looks down at her purse and finds the edge of a book protruding out of her bag and his thoughts retrace steps from years ago.  “Rick! Rick! Wait a minute!” yells Annie swiftly moving up next to him, “Are you going to the Young Adult retreat? Today is the last day to sign up.”

“Can I help you with that?” asks Rick watching Annie fling the heavy backpack onto her back while trying to loop her arm into the strap at the same time.

“No, I’m fine” determined Annie responds while struggling and failing at her attempt to secure it.  He reaches out and helps her find the strap securely fitting it to her, “Thanks.”

“Yes, I was thinking of going.  Will you be there?” asks Rick hoping to have the opportunity to have more time to spend with her. “We could ride together if you wanted to and don’t have other plans”.

“I signed up last week but noticed that your name wasn’t on the list” blurts Annie then realizing that it might be too obvious she is interested in him explains, “Jennings showed me the list this morning at the corps and there were still quite a few she wanted me to check with if I ran into them … ummm I’m glad to hear you’re going.  Riding together sounds great!”

“Where are you headed?” asks Rick hoping for a chance to talk for a little longer.

“The library as usual, I have a paper that I need to do some research for” dejectedly explains Annie wishing that she hadn’t waited until the last minute so that she would have more time to spend with him.

“Really?  I’m on my way there too.  Maybe we could study together, if you don’t mind” offers Rick having finished his actual homework earlier in the day but not minding a second trip to the library if it means spending more time with her.

“Sure!” smiles Annie for the first time ever grateful for homework “Do you have a paper to work on too?”

Unsure of how to respond, “I just have a few things to catch up on some reading for” quickly replies Rick hoping he doesn’t sound overly eager revealing  his true motive for wanting to go to the library which he rarely tolerates on most occasions.

“Oh, well maybe we could help each other out” suggests Annie “My paper is on the correlation between Mark Twain and modern American humor and dialogue.  What are you studying?”

“mmmm… I uhhh… it’s a mixture of things” replies Rick silently berating himself for a lack of an answer that makes any sense “it’s rather complicated and hard to explain.”

“I’d like to hear it” but then sensing his quiet aversion to do so counters “Do you think that it’s too difficult for me to understand?” asks Annie not appreciating that he would think that she is not as smart as he is.

“No, no, it’s not that at all” answers Rick realizing that she is offended about his fake subject and then stretching the truth to not reveal his secret replies “It’s just that it is very technical and the concepts are a little hard to grasp”

“I like theories, why don’t you try me?” challenges Annie with an urge to prove to him that she could comprehend even the most complex abstract suppositions.

“I … uhhh .. well… “ Rick pauses but then feeling her temper rise in the silence and unsure of how to respond to his blunder offers “You could probably help me.”

“I might be able to” assures Annie feeling as if she has accomplished a long sought after achievement.

Rick sighs feeling the tension dissipate and relief that the truth hasn’t been revealed - at least not yet there is still time before reaching the library to make up something.

But as they draw closer to their destination reaching the entrance, Rick worries about his lack of imagination and to prevent further misunderstanding rushes to explain. Finding himself stuffing his hands into his pockets and looking down at the ground intentionally not looking at her, Ricks slowly responds “I need to confess. I don’t really have a topic that I’m researching. I just wanted to spend the afternoon with you so we could get to know each other better.”

Hearing his words, Annie is so overwhelmingly pleased at his confession that she doesn’t know what to say so for a moment blankly stands there staring at him before coming to terms with an answer.  “Well, maybe you could help me then if you don’t mind reading through a few boring books of critique and analysis”.

“Sounds like a great afternoon to me” replies Rick relieved and content to find that she is not angry with him, but actually waiting for him to follow her into the library.

Bringing his thoughts back to the moment, Rick states “I see you still like to read.  What are you reading today?”

“It’s funny you should ask.  I’m reading a Mark Twain book.  Do you remember when you helped me with my paper?  I thought it was so sweet of you to help me.  I think that was the first afternoon we spent together” and then with a slight smirk Annie adds “You know, I intentionally gave you the stack of the dullest authors to read to see if you were sincere about spending time with me.  I don’t know what I was thinking.  But even if I didn’t tell you then, you actually understood the commentaries much better than I did.”

Rick chuckles remembering how he wondered why anyone would ever consider being a literature major if this is what they would have to commit their life to reading. “I learned more than I ever wanted to know. It was worth it though ….” Then adds more softly “… for a variety of reasons”.

“Yeah, you helped me get an A though in one of my toughest classes!” remembers Annie sincerely grateful many years later.  “How many critiques have you read about Mark Twain since then?”

“I think that I discovered all I needed to know then” smugly replies Rick “I’ve retained the information over the years”.

“So, did you ever finish those cooking classes?” whimsically asks Rick remembering her making a few rather unique dishes for him.

At this Annie laughs out load, “No, just as horrible a cook as ever but with a little more flair now!”

Taking another bite of her dessert, Annie thoughts drift to another time in college “I think that’s Rick!  He’s on time and I’m not ready!” running and limping to the door with one shoe on and the other dangling from her hand while trying to finish pinning her hair with the other hand.  She wipes out just as she reaches the couch tripping on the throw rug as Rick opens the door himself “I thought I heard you say ‘come-in’. Do you need help?”

“No, I got it” attempting to stand up but losing her balance while grasping the corner of the couch to pull herself up on one heel and then stalls to pose in an attempt to look graceful and elegant as her up-do falls apart in perfect timing. 

“Yeah, I can see that” replies Rick chuckling while heading over the kitchen counter “I brought some dessert which we can have later if you would like”.

“As you know I’ve been taking cooking classes and I’ve made something special for you tonight” encouragingly instructs Annie “I hope you like it!”

“What are we having?” asks Rick usually looking forward to her surprises.

“It’s meatloaf with a twist” offers Annie suddenly feeling slightly insecure about her creative choices.

“Ohh… sounds interesting” offers Rick not as confidently but believing that the outcome might be good.

“I added a few ingredients” explains Annie then reflectively “I like my classes, but cooking would be so much easier if you didn’t have to measure and just ‘knew’ how much to put in of this or that.”

Rick’s eyebrows raise but he manages to keep a somewhat even tone, “Do you like your classes?”

“Yes, for the most part I guess.  It just really isn’t my thing, but I do try” explains Annie feeling a bit anxious and wanting to please him and then looking at the clock above the stove, “I think it is about done”.

As he observes the trophy of meatloaf in front of him, he congratulates Annie “This looks really good.  It has a rather savory and sweet scent.”

“Yes, that is the ‘secret’, can you guess what it is?” excitedly asks Annie.

Not sure of what to say and a little afraid of the answer, Rick replies “Maybe I’ll try it first” while taking a small bite.

“What do you think?” asks Annie  “Can you taste the sweetness?”

“Uhh … yes” Rick answers trying to swallow and smile at the same time while reaching for a glass of water “It’s spicy. Did you have some?”

“No, I thought that I would let you try it first” explains Annie watching Rick’s eyes tear up and feeling that perhaps she might have added a little too much of her special ingredients.

“I thought a dash of curry and cinnamon might give it some zing …. but maybe not so much ….” suggests Annie “I wasn’t sure how much to put in so that you could taste it.  I might have estimated more than necessary.”

“No, it’s good” states Rick gagging while drinking some more water to cool down the mass of flavors exploding in his mouth.

For a moment Annie observes him as one loose tear falls down his cheek and feels some pity.  “You know, how would you feel about going out tonight instead?

“Uhh … only if you want to” gently replies Rick hoping to not hurt her feelings because of her obvious but failing effort to make something for him.

“Let’s go to one of your favorite places” suggests Annie already grabbing her coat not feeling hungry but not having enough courage to try her culinary experiment either.

“Sounds good … last week I drove by a place that I was thinking we might like to try” offers Rick heading towards the door “I think you’ll like it.”

“I can hardly wait!” agrees Annie leaving the burnt pan to soak in the sink and hopeful of a good dinner tonight instead.

After a few hours of sharing their memories, the waitress interrupts their conversation and kindly as she can in order to retain a good tip begins “I’m sorry, but we’ll be closing in about ten minutes. I hope you had a great evening and will visit us again some time.”

“Thank you” responds Rick leaving some cash with a friendly tip on the table.  As they walk out the door, Rick quietly takes Annie’s hand as they walk out as the clouds are gathering for a stormy night.

 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment