Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Camp Mansfield - Chapter Nine


"What dd you think of Tom?" asks Ted wondering what Faith's opinion of his brother might be in his adulthood "Has he changed much since you remember him from years ago."
"Yes, it's been a long time ago.  He's probably changed quite a bit" suggests Faith wishing that he turned into a kinder and less arrogant man from his childhood but not wanting to point out her opinion "He's interesting."
"Interesting is a good description, but what does it really mean?" curiously asks Ted wanting to know how Faith feels about him.
"Tom always had his own set of friends he hung out with, it was very exclusive of the others.  But he was popular with everyone.  I think they were more in awe of him than an actual friend to him though. Tom seemed to be able to charm his way to get by with anything even if he was outright breaking the rules" accurately states Faith not surely how upfront she should be about how she felt about him.
"Did you ever have a crush on him?" anxiously asks Ted worried that every girl he liked also carried a torch for his older brother as well.
"No, are you kidding?" a little too bluntly expresses Faith remember Tom "He was a little too sure of himself for my tastes and he wasn't particularly sensitive to others.  He sometimes seemed oblivious to how his behavior hurt some of those around him, who he really had the power to protect but did nothing about it."
Ted raises his eyebrows and nods his head without a response for a moment reflecting on her comment.  "Did you know that he was interested in you at one point?"
"What? That's ridiculous.  I don't think so" remarks Faith appalled that Tom would ever think she would consider him "Tom always had a bunch of silly girls hanging around him to feel that need."
"No, I'm serious.  He asked about you a lot.  He always had a girlfriend.  But I think he still liked you because he couldn't figure you out or make you like him" genuinely replies Ted even though the thought of Faith and his brother together upset him then and now.
"The only reason he would like me is because I didn't like him. We didn't have anything in common with each other" stunned acknowledges Faith "I wouldn't have dated him anyway if I had known.  I was interested in someone else."
"Who was that?" curiously asks Ted not sure that he wants to hear that there was another guy in her life even as a teen.
"It's my secret" blushing replies Faith not wanting to expose the fact that he, himself, was her crush.
"I'm glad you weren't interested in Tom.  But this guy had to be not a great guy if he didn't act on you being interested in him" disturbed states Ted and adds " You deserved someone who would have noticed how wonderful you are."
"One day maybe" wishfully replies Faith hoping that he will notice who is sitting on the bench in the baseball field next to him right now.  "What about you?  Who did you like?"
"I'll never tell" playfully smiles Ted nudging her in the shoulder with his own "It's my secret."
"That's not fair.  We discussed Tom.  I always thought Mary Crawford was interested in you" thoughtfully replies Faith dreading that Mary will soon be around them again.
"Mary was okay.  But I think all the guys had crushes on her at one point or another.  It was more of my mother's idea rather than my own" Ted explains "Her uncle is a Commissioner and I think my mother thought  that it would be helpful in their position with all the politics in the Army as you know".
"Did you ever hear from her after camp when we were teens?" asks Faith not entirely sure what has happened in Ted's life after they lost contact for awhile.
"Yes, she dated Tom for awhile in college until he cheated on her.  She was in a lot of my classes so I often saw her.  We had the same group of friends so we often went places together.  She dated a lot of my friends, but the relationships didn't seem to last very long" explains Ted "I was too busy studying to care much who she was with at one point or another, it seemed to change rather frequently."
"What about you?  Have you been dating anyone these last few years?" nervously asks Ted wondering if there might have been a few serious boyfriends along the way.
"You know, it's camp.  I took classes as I could while working full time and eventually graduated.  I met a few vendors, contractors, and staff that came and went" offers Faith but being fully honest adds " I dated a contractor for awhile who was very nice but it just didn't work out.  He's married to someone else now and seems very happy with his own family."
"Oh.  Did you love him?" impulsively asks Ted before realizing what he asked  but wanting an answer anyway.
"Ummm ... not sure.  I think we were really great friends.  I even thought about what it would like to be married to him.  But loving him deeply without reservation ... no, not like that at all" reflects Faith remembering how sorry and sad she was when they broke up but having realized later that it had been a good thing.  "What about you?"
"Up until now, I haven't found the woman who I'm willing to give up my independence for.  Dating is one thing, but marriage for a lifetime is quite another" resolvedly replies Ted having repeated the statement many times in the past to his friends and family. But as the words are spoken this time, they no longer have the same ring of truth to his ears.  feeling unsettled by them  quietly adds, "i could one day though."
"This is such a beautiful day.  I could stay out here all day!" states Faith leaning her head back and smiling up towards the sun.
"I think it is quite nice too.  I might join you.  However, are you ready to meet my brother again?  I told my mom that you were coming for dinner at 6 pm, even though I haven't asked you yet.  Are you free?" asks Ted feeling a bit sheepish that he assumed she would be available without asking her earlier.
"Let me check" pausing for a moment without saying anything, Faith quietly waits and then smiles teasing  him "Yes, I am free.  Dinner sounds great!  I just want to run home for a few minutes to change my clothes after being in the sun all day and I'll meet you at your house afterwards."
At home, Faith looks through her closet and finally chooses an periwinkle vintage dress with a v-neckline and tiny buttons down the front with matching flats to wear.  It looks elegant on her in its simplicity.  She pulls her hair back into a loose bun with some tresses accidently falling from place but with an air of country beauty.   Choosing her favorite perfume, she dreams of the evening to come.
On reaching the house, the door is answered by a man who has the same features as Ted but slightly taller and with a more distinguished face. Tom  smiles as he greets her, "It's been forever, Faithless!  Ted didn't tell me how beautiful you are!" Giving her a tight hug and kissing her on the cheek, before she can even respond.  She can clearly see Ted standing directly behind Tom glaring at him.
"That's enough.  You need to let Faith breathe!" commands Ted taking his hands and separating the two of them "Faith hasn't seen you in a long time.  How do you know she even remembers you?"
Noticing that Ted sounds slightly jealous, Faith blushes and smiles at Ted.  "It's okay.  I remember Tom."
"Faith is sitting by me tonight.  We have a lot to catch up on.  It's been years" orders Tom guiding her into the dining room with the back of his hand. 
"I already set the table for Faith to sit next to me" sharply replies Ted not liking that his older brother appears to be taking over as he always did when they were kids.
"Let Faith sit next to Tom" advises Mrs. Bartram wanting to separate Ted and Faith for a while knowing that Tom is a bit of a player so nothing serious could come of it "They haven't seen each other in a long time.  You can still talk to her. You're sitting at the very same table.  Logan is here to, you can talk to him as well."
Seeing that Tom is already pulling out the chair for where Faith will sit, Ted reluctantly finds his place diagonally across the table from her.  Logan sits down next to him with his parents at opposite ends of the table.  They pray for dinner like a family and everyone enjoys that delicious meal that Mr. Bartram has made for this special occasion.
"So Faith, what have I missed these last few years without you?" teases Tom while winking at her with a friendly smile and turn of the head.
"Just living and learning at the camp.  Every day is something different and a new experience" shares Faith realizing that there is more truth to that statement than whimsy.
"What kind of things?" asks Tom wanting to know more about her life.
"Oh for instance this past week, we had snake bites, a tire fall off a wagon full of campers while doing a longhorn feeding, the pump breaking on the pool, the waste water overflowing, a friendly bear having a meal in one of the trash cans, that sort of thing" offers Faith running down the list of current adventures as she likes to positively refer  to issues that occur on a daily basis.
"Sounds entertaining or at least not a typical day like mine at the office" offers Tom smiling at her again "I think camp would be way more interesting than an office building."
"It can be.  How is your business going?" asks Faith wondering if things are improving for him.
"It is what it is.  I've got my hands into some new cutting edge projects that look incredibly promising.  I'm looking for integral funding for some outstanding investments that will have a atmospheric return on them" replies Tom in the tone of his typical exaggerated sales pitch.  "The new projects are fail proof.  Whoever invests in them is going to make so much money that they won't know what to do with it all. You wouldn't be interested would you?  If I remember right as a kid, you had a hobby of saving money and seemed to do much better than the rest of us"
"Well that was then" replies Faith not wanting to leave any room for a promise of investment in one of Tom's potential projects.  She had a feeling there was more talk than substance in the projects that were mentioned that evening.  She was saving her money for an extended trip to Europe or perhaps a wedding if that were to ever happen. 
"Is anyone ready for dessert?"  proudly asks Mrs. Bartram having won many county fair competitions for the best pumpkin pie for several years running. 
"Sounds great!" determines Tom not having homemade dessert for a very long time because of traveling and often staying in hotels while eating in restaurants for his business interests.  "When are Mariah and Julia arriving?"
"Tomorrow and the Crawfords are coming a couple of days later" replies Thomas Bartram "Your sisters are bringing their boyfriends with them as well.  It will be a full house for Thanksgiving."

No comments:

Post a Comment