Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Camp Mansfield - Chapter Twelve


"Really Julia, where did you put my scarf?  You borrowed it last week and I haven't seen it since.  You're always borrowing my things and not returning them" disgusted remarks Mariah "I wanted to use it for my video blog tomorrow."

"It's right here, under your purse on the bed!" whines Julia "If you opened your eyes once in awhile, you could find your own things rather than blaming me for losing them".

"I don't know why we ever decided to share an apartment together" retorts Mariah knowing that in spite of their arguments they were also the best of friends. "I might as well start charging you for everything of mine that goes missing. I might make some money that way."

Julia stares down her older sister for one moment, "Maybe I should just sell some of your things when I find them rather than returning them to you.  I would make a fortune."

"Don't you dare!" threatens Mariah "I spend quite a lot on everything that I buy.  Designer Brands are essential for any wardrobe."

"I know.  I have a closet full of them" challenges Julia opening her closet door and expertly moving her hand of as if the items are on display and she is the beautiful model standing next to them.

"Yes, but you are always wearing the clothes with the labels printed outside on the tag or back, or boldly displayed on the purse.  While I try to be more subtle with my choices" explains Mariah.

"If I'm going to spend the money, I think everyone should be aware of where they came from.  How will anyone know where you bought that bag if there isn't any proof that they can see" rebukes Julia feeling a little disappointed that her sister doesn't entirely admire her sacrifices of fashion.

"Well, I'm about to go" zipping up knee hi black boots with four inch heels attached replies Mariah. Wrapping a woolen designer angular cardigan around her with a spritz of floral perfume, "I don't want to be late, Henry is coming too."

"What time are you supposed to pick up Rush at the airport?  Isn't he coming in soon?  I printed off his flight information for you" helpfully offers Julia wanting to steer her sister away from the opportunity for Henry's attention.

Mariah sighs "Yes, I guess you're right.  He will be at the airport in an hour.  One benefit of having a rich boyfriend is that he always brings the best presents with him after returning from one of his trips with his company. Rush does have great taste."

"It also helps that you send him a list of what to bring home with him too" remarks Julia bringing reality to the case-in-point. "He's more like a personal shopper for you than an actual boyfriend.  Are you sure you want to spend the rest of your life with him?"

"Rush provides me with what I need.  He naturally provides status and wealth without much effort.  I'll admit he's a bit goofy but I can transform him. It won't take long" replies Mariah already having considered the steps to his eventual makeover.

"Shouldn't you like Rush for the way he is now if you really love him" pointedly asks Julia having once considered Rush but who never returned her affection after being introduced to Mariah.

"I don't think so.  Everyone should take care of themselves and make sure they look the best.  Life is a competition, you know" honestly considers Mariah "If we're going to be at the front, we both need to look the part as well."

"Yeah Rush is a little awkward but he's still a good guy.  Why do you want to change him?" asks Julia feeling that her sister doesn't appreciate all of the facets that Rush has to offer.

Miffed that her sister should be considering any affection towards her boyfriend, Mariah challenges "If you like him to so much, why don't you marry him instead? Except that I don't think he would ever be interested in you.  You are not his type."

Julia ignores her comment and continues to put together her clashing outfit of designer labels that can clearly visible to anyone walking by.  She looks at her phone for any messages and sees a text from Rush, "Please - tell - Mariah - to - pick - me - up - at - 6:15 pm".

"Rush asked me to remind you that he will be at the airport at 6:15 pm.  I wonder why he always text me rather than you, except you never bother to read his texts" snidely replies Julia wishing that she had a boyfriend that Mariah envied instead,  "Once Mariah is engaged, I'll have Henry to myself though".

"I'm on my way" informs Mariah heading out the door and adjusting her Ray-bans in place  "You can come if you want but I'm leaving now.  I don't want to be late for the concert tonight."

 Back at the camp cottage, Faith is finishing up the last bite of her leftover chicken fried rice. "This is so good.  I think that I could eat this at least once a week" explaining to Sampson flopping his ears back and forth hoping to find a few bites of his own.

Bending down to pet him, "Sampson , you're such a good boy. I don't know what I would do without you.  Do you want a treat?"

Dancing in circles in front of her, she offers him a treat.  She has on her favorite velour lounge pants and an old holey camp shirt which she finds comfortable for evenings in front of the TV or reading her favorite book that she borrowed from the library.  "I guess that I should be getting ready for tonight. What am I going to wear? At least my hair is washed even if I haven't flat ironed it yet.  it looks a little wild though" gazing at her reflection in the bathroom mirror.

She brushes her teeth and gargles with mint freshener, applies her makeup and then begins to straighten her hair.  Her eye itches which she rubs.  "I hate having so many allergies at camp.  It's either the mold in the winter or buds in the spring".  She hears a knock at the front door, "I didn't plan on seeing anyone before the concert.  Maybe it is Shirley bringing some leftovers again from dinner at the dining room".

"Hey Shirley. Thank you for bringing the leftovers" welcomes Faith opening the door without looking who might be standing on the porch in front of her.   Her hair is half straightened and half of a teased mess.  The mascara as collected and smeared into two large clumps under each eye.

Ted reviews and smiles at her "It's me instead.  Hope you're not too disappointed. I thought that we could ride to the concert together."

"Come on in.  I was just getting ready for the concert.  I didn't know you were coming" casually offers Faith "Would you like some coffee while you wait?  I have a few things that I still have to do" as her hand touches her hair , fleeing chunks of hair balls, remembers that she hasn't finished straightening her hair. "I'll be back in just a minute".

Walking into the bathroom she catches a glance of herself in the mirror.  Utterly mortified, she grabs the nearest wash cloth and quickly scrubs her face to remove all the dark mascara that has decided to adorn her cheeks. She looks at the fuzz ball of hair only on one side and gasps.  "I look more like a creepy Elvira than myself!"  She notices that she is still wearing her old camp t-shirt that states "Camp Hair - Don't Care" and thinking this was her unfortunate chosen mantra today.

Finishing her hair and reapplying her makeup, she pulls out her favorite maroon and gold trim dress and low heeled pumps.  "It looks simple, but at least it fits me well" thinks Faith before walking into the living room.

"You look great Faithless!" offers Ted helping holding her coat so that she can easily put it on  "Thank you for the coffee, it hit the spot."

"Thank you for helping me" returns Faith feeling the temperature in her cheeks slowly rising while standing so close to him.

"I like this look much better than the other one.  But I'm okay with the other one too" offers Ted trying to ease Faith's self-consciousness.  "You should see me in the mornings.  It's rather frightening."

Placing his hand gently on the middle of her back, he closes the door and walks with her down the porch stairs.

"Did you have a good afternoon?" asks Ted wanting to start a conversation with her "What kind of things did you do?"

"Today was my day off, so I didn't do a whole lot of anything other than read and work on a puzzle" honestly answers Faith wishing that her quiet life was a little more interesting "How was your day?"

"I had to work on the project so I guess it was all right.  It would have been much nicer to have been here with you" suggests Ted suddenly wondering why he would say something like that and then silently admitting to himself that the statement was true "Were you very lonely? Or do you mind being alone?"

"Most of the time I don't mind it at all.  I have Sampson who keeps me company.  He doesn't mind me practicing my singing or playing the piano into all hours of the night  or talking to myself" teases Faith "He's learned to talk in his own dog language right back at me, so it works."

"Would you mind looking up the directions for the concert?  I forgot the address" explains Ted changing the knobs on the stereo for his playlist of favorite songs.  Without paying too much attention, Faith reaches for the screen on the dashboard to enter the address of the concert.  As their hands accidentally brush against each other, "Oh sorry" offers Faith feeling a rush of an unexpected feeling of attraction.  Ted turns towards her with an odd expression that Faith can't decipher but doesn't say anything.  Faith signs and looks out the window to find something to say.

"What do you thinking of the changing leaves this year?" Randomly asks Faith to push away her feelings of awkwardness.

"I think it looks beautiful.  It's one of my favorite seasons of the  year" confirms Ted "We need to take a drive around the area and take some photos.  I remember that photography is one of your hobbies."

"I'd love to.  It's been awhile.  I really enjoy finding landscapes that seem to tell their own stories in one glimpse.  I often wonder how many people have wandered over each spot and what events have taken place over the years of its existence.   I think about all the people who must have traveled there with their hopes and dreams, heartache and loss, and all the emotions that must have filled that space at difference points in time.  It's just dirt and ground, but that's what memories are made of too."

"If I could event anything it would be a picture that would smell and feel like that day that it was originally encountered" imaginatively offers Faith "that way you could not only see the memory but experience it too .... Except for bad days, they can all be forgotten."

"That would be an interesting idea, I'd only want happy memories as well" agrees Ted wondering if those types of photos will ever exist.  As he looks at Faith sitting next to him, he hopes to not forget the comfortableness of this moment either.

As they pull into the driveway of the corps, Faith cheerily shares "Oh look there is Jennings and Alice Hammer!  It's been forever!  They were my Girl Guard leaders as a teen.  I learned so much from them and had such a fun time doing it too!"

"Let's go over and say 'Hello' to them" offers Ted happy to see them again.  "Jennings played with me in the band for a few years.  She's a nut, but the best kind there is."

No comments:

Post a Comment