Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Blood and Fire - Chapter Eight

Jane looks out the window and sees the cottage in the distance along the country road. With great dismay, she takes one quick look in the visor’s mirror as she applies some nearly-there plum lipstick. She glances over at Liz who is deeply lost in thought wiping off her dirt stained jeans. This definitely isn’t how she expected to arrive to see Bingley again.



“We’re here ladies! I’ll call you on Tuesday to let you know about your car. I hope you have a good weekend with your friends!” politely states Mr. Conway as he helps to carry their luggage to the front door of the cottage. The rain has mercifully stopped but a humid mist remains hovering in the air.



Waiting for someone to answer the door, Jane brushes her mud crusted hair behind her shoulders with Liz at her side trying to wipe the sludge off her boots onto the edges of the porch. Liz and Jane sympathetically look at each other. This isn’t exactly the best start to the week-end.



Standing in the wind, Jane sneezes and Liz replies “God bless you” and hopes that His care and providence really will be more than readily available this weekend.



After a few minutes Caroline smugly answers the door “Oh there you are. We were wondering if you had changed your mind because of the weather and decided not to come. What happened? Both of you look awful!” Caroline looks them over head to foot as if under military inspection by a drill sergeant and finds them wanting. Caroline continues “If you would like to change, your room is the second one on the left”.



“Thanks. A shower would be wonderful at the moment” eagerly replies Jane dragging her floral suitcase behind her. Next to her, Liz picks up her small suitcase but the handle breaks. Liz rolls her eyes in disgust and awkwardly carries it in her arms into the other room.



While waiting for the girls’ arrival Bingley and Darcy are sitting in the common room chatting when Liz and Jane walk through the vestibule.



“Jane, are you all right? Did you get hurt?” asks Bingley standing up concerned that Jane doesn’t quite look like herself. Jane sneezes again in response.



Across the room looking up from his Blackberry, Darcy is sitting on the divan laughing. Entering the room, Liz catches his eye watching her. Feeling that he is intentionally criticizing her appearance, Liz snickers in return. A trail of dried mud follows Liz across floor to her desired destination in her sludge trimmed pants.



The name plague on the room reads “Angler’s Delight”. The blue room is decorated with fish nets and hooks, a large colorful stuffed sword fish in the center of the room, with fishing rods above each headboard. The bedspreads have prints of active trout jumping into pools of water. The twin beds look comfortable with fluffy pillows.



Feeling refreshed after her shower, Jane returns to the room looking more like her self but her eyes are swollen with a red nose, and her face is flushed.



“I don’t feel so good” remarks Jane looking at her own reflection in the dresser mirror as Liz brushes her newly shampooed hair “I hope that I feel better soon. I don’t want to miss out on anything. Are you cold Liz? I’m shivering” asks Jane searching through her suitcase for a sweater in the warm September evening.



“I’m fine, but Jane I think you might be coming down with something” states Liz as she places a hand on Jane’s forehead “You’re burning up”.



“I think that I am just going to lie down for a few minutes before dinner. I want to be able to stay up tonight so I can have some time to be with everyone” replies Jane hoping that she’ll be able to recover after taking some aspirin and a light nap.



Liz finishes up drying her hair and heads out into the common room looking for some bottled water for Jane.



“Is Jane okay?” asks Bingley anxious to see Jane again after waiting for her arrival all day “We’re so glad that you were able to come this weekend. It’s going to be great!”



“Jane’s resting a little before dinner. I think that she might have caught a cold but she’ll probably be feeling better in just a little bit” suggests Liz surprised at Bingley’s warmth and concern. She finds an empty place in the forest green glider next to the sofa and places her sandaled feet on the matching ottoman.



Darcy looks over to her and smiles. Liz notices him looking at her dark indigo nail polish on her pedicure. Liz blankly stares back and then looks around for something to do avoiding eye contact not sure how to take Darcy’s friendliness.



“How was your trip?” asks Darcy attempting to start a conversation with her “How was the weather? Were the roads very bad?”



“Well, unfortunately it didn’t go quite as we expected. My car is in the shop until Tuesday. We may have to stay until then if it is all right with you unless I can find a ride home sooner than that” frankly replies Liz not excited about staying in the house any longer than she has to.



“I’m sure Bingley and Caroline will enjoy both you and your sister’s company however long you decide to stay” offers Darcy.



Liz suspiciously eyes him wondering if he is being kind or avoiding the obvious by not mentioning that he would also like or not like her to stay.



“I don’t want to inconvenience anyone. I’m hoping that the mechanic can fix whatever is needed on Tuesday since he is currently out of town with his family” explains Liz continuing “This is an interesting place. I’d like to see the other rooms.”



“Yes, Bingley’s family rents the cottage every year after Labor Day for a week since they were kids. I’ve been with them a few times and the place has some special memories for me” offers Darcy as Caroline enters the room.



“Yes, Darcy and I go way back. We’ve known each other forever. We’re very close. We even know each other’s hidden secrets” offers Caroline sitting on the couch leaning towards him and touching his shoulder with her own in a tone that implies that they are ‘very close’.



In response Darcy leans forward and shuffles the business and health magazines on the wooden wagon wheel coffee table. “I suppose whatever secrets children might have.”



“I don’t think there is any one who knows you quite as well as I do though” replies Caroline in a tone affirming her own judgment of the intimacy of their friendship.



“Are you ready for dinner?” asks Darcy not entirely sure why Caroline is acting so strange tonight but doesn’t feel tempted enough to find out. Darcy walks over to Liz but Caroline quickly shuffles up behind him and grabs his arm entwining it with her own.



Considering that they must have dated in the past and possibly that there is some encouragement for the romance to be rekindled, Liz unintentionally feels a slight pain but tries to ignore it. Liz politely responds “I’m going to check on Jane, I’ll meet you in the dining room.”



Caroline smiles directly into Darcy’s eyes deliberately snuggling into him and then looks back to see if Liz is watching their interaction. Darcy pulls away from her “I’ll check on Bingley. I’ll meet you there.”



Feeling slimly defeated for the moment but not in the conquest, Caroline smirks and shrugs her shoulders releasing his arm but not until Liz is no longer in view.



Entering their room, Liz finds Jane snoring in her own cadence buried underneath the covers of the twin bed. Liz lightly touches her arm and asks “It’s time for dinner. Are you coming?”



Exhausted and aching, Jane sighs with great disappointment, “I think that I better sleep. I don’t feel well at all. Please tell everyone that I’m sorry” feeling particularly heartbroken that this weekend is not going very well so far and she is missing an opportunity to get to know Bingley better.



As Liz walks into the dining room Caroline greets her “Oh, we didn’t know if you were going to make it. It seems like you run on your own schedule. I told everyone to go ahead and start.”



Bingley impulsively counters “You said she wasn’t coming! We would have waited for you Liz if I had known. Where is Jane?” as Caroline gives him daggers and takes another sip of her glass of cucumber water.



“Unfortunately Caroline is right, Jane is not feeling well and is going to try to sleep. Hopefully she will be feeling better in the morning” explains Liz finding an empty chair next to Bingley and directly across from Darcy buttering a rolll



“Tell her we missed her” enthusiastically states Bingley stabbing his salad obviously disappointed that Jane will not be with them tonight and then mumbling “It isn’t the same without her”.



“So have you dried off? You must be use to it much more than we are. It is so cold and wet down here” remarks Caroline “I wouldn’t have dared getting out of my car and trying to push it in the rain. You must have larger muscles that I do” states Caroline with an emphasis on “larger” and demurely bringing up her shoulders to point out her slimness by comparison.



“Well, I’m afraid we weren’t very effective. I think “Maud’ got the better of us” replies Liz hoping that she was able to remove all of the mud from her body and hair and that there are no visible leftover remnants still lurking around.



“Who is “Maud”? Oh yes . . . I forgot. Darcy told me that is what you inventively call your car . . . “snidely remarks Caroline with a chuckle in a tone to imply some sort of foolishness in the labeling “Where did you ever come up with that name?”



“I liked the name and we have been friends for years” replies Liz a little ticked.



“I would have never have been as valiant as you with ‘Maud’ in the rain. Giovanti just did my hair and I wouldn’t have wanted that horrendous storm to destroy his beautiful creation either. He is such a wonderful stylist.” Turing to Darcy “He is really an artist don’t you think?” showing off her trendy haircut for him to admire.



Darcy looks at her for a second and considers a response but chooses not to respond He passes the rolls to Liz instead “Would you like one?”



“I really should take you to him. He could do wonders with your lifeless hair, Liz. You really could look beautiful with just a little help such as a new cut, dye, and highlights and of course a conditioning treatment. I’ll give you his number after dinner” offers Caroline in a tone of authority and supervision.



While taking the basket from Darcy, Liz sighs recognizing Caroline’s offer of friendship but feeling as if it is has been wrapped in a double-sided insult “Thank you, I’ll have to look into it.”



“I think Liz looks great just the way she is. What about you Darcy?” offers Bingley “What kind of girls do you like?”



“Personally, I prefer a natural look. I find a woman’s character and intelligence are attractive to me too. I’m not against improving physical looks, but if she is also confident in whom she is without the artificial enhancements than she is all the more appealing to me” honestly replies Darcy not particularly liking the topic at hand.



Liz is not sure whether or not he complimented her and studies him for a moment. Dropping her eyes, inwardly Liz is surprised to find that she hopes that he finds her attractive.



After dinner is completed, everyone moves back into the common room for some coffee and conversation.



Again Liz checks on Jane who is deeply snoozing in the depths of dreamland. Liz is disappointed that she will be on her own tonight and hopes that Jane can recover soon.



As Liz joins her friends in the common room, Caroline inquires “Liz, we don’t know much about you. What would you like to tell us about yourself?”



“I don’t know that there is a whole lot to tell” humbly replies Liz twisting in her seat at having been put on the spot.



“It looks like you must be a scholar looking at all those books you brought with you. How do you find time for a social life spending all of your time reading? I’m sure that you are a warehouse of facts and figures” suggests Caroline and in a snide mocking tone “I’m sure whatever you had to say would be over our heads”



“Yes, you’re right I do like to read but I enjoy all types of books from chick lit the are light and fluff to other serious things. My sister and I enjoy doing things together and traveling so my life isn’t quite as dull as it sounds” states Liz gently defending herself “However most of the time, I doubt that anyone would not understand anything that I wanted to say. This seems to be only a problem when I verbally get lost in my own thoughts and tend to ramble”.



In the chocolate plush recliner, Darcy chuckles with memories of appreciating the frankness of Liz’s speech. Liz looks over at him a little puzzled by his reaction.



“Yes, you do tend to like to, what is the expression? Say-it-like-it-is no matter who is in the room” replies Caroline looking over at Darcy “You could probably teach me a few lessons since I tend to be too polite and conscientious of others feelings too much of the time”



Darcy directly understands what Caroline is implying but also knows that empathizing with others is not one of her strong points. He replies “I like it when someone is straight forward with me and appreciate their honesty rather than trying to figure out what kind-of impression they are trying to make or what their hidden motives might be.”



“What on earth are you talking about Darcy? Would you prefer people were rude to you?” mockingly asks Caroline tapping him on the leg.



“I think you misunderstand me, Caroline. I have many people in my life who compliment me whose motive is to get close to me to gain something from me. I’d rather have a true friend than one who uses and manipulates me by not telling the truth” frankly replies Darcy recalling many years of experience in a variety of personal and business relationships. “I admire Liz’s ability to be honest in her friendships”.



“I wouldn’t go that far to say that. I’ve been known to hide my true feelings if I felt that it might be more painful if my real opinion was exposed. Sometimes I’m too blunt to a fault and it gets me into trouble” honestly replies Liz remembering a few times she has stuck-her-foot-in-her-mouth in less than convenient times.



Caroline looks temporarily vanquished but is inspired again. “I hear you and your sisters play the piano. Why don’t you play for us? We would love to hear you play. Darcy is an excellent musician and I’m sure he would like to share tips with another accomplished musician.”



“I play a little, but definitely not like Jane. I would much rather be a listener than an entertainer. Perhaps Darcy would prefer to play for us” suggests Liz not wanting to ‘show-off’ in front of him without a chance to practice.



“I’m rather tired tonight. But I would like to hear you play very much. I haven’t heard you play yet. Would you like to play something for us, Liz?” asks Darcy feeling incited by discovering something new about Liz.



“There is music in the piano bench if you want to play and I also brought some classical pieces of my own” offers Caroline and then informing them of her achievements “I took lessons all through my youth. I was offered a scholarship in college but had to decide between the piano and violin. It was a tough decision for me to make. Please, go ahead and play for us. I’m so sure we will be impressed by your exceptional abilities.”



“Honestly, I play all right but really only for my own enjoyment. I taught myself but I’m sure that I do not play as well as anyone else in this room” nervously responds Liz “I would much rather not play but listen to one of you.”



“Okay, if you insist. You’ve pushed me to my limit. I guess that I have no other option” obviously falsely chiding states Caroline adding in a tone of mock humility ‘I’ll play, but don’t listen too closely.”



Walking over to the piano in the corner, Caroline searches for the most difficult piece that she brought with her and flawlessly plays the classical piece. “I haven’t played that one in forever” states Caroline lying in that she practiced one stanza alone over forty-three times in one setting waiting for Darcy to arrive the day before.



Sitting on the couch, Bingley loudly sighs hardly tolerating the same twenty measures tormenting his ears for one last time. “I think that I will check on Jane”.



He knocks on the door, but there is no response. His shoulders fall and he slowly walks back into the common room. “I’m tired. I think that I’m going to turn in for the night. I’ll see all of you in the morning” as he heads towards his themed room called “Cowboy’s Twilight” with glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling and a painted crescent moon.



The three of them sit staring at each other for a moment not knowing what to say. “I brought UNO with me if any one would like to play” offers Liz not ready to turn in for the night but no longer wanting to be the focus of future discussions.



“I don’t like card games much or really any type of games. I’ll play Darcy if you insist though” replies Caroline even though there has been no direct mention of including her in the game “I’m usually too busy working at the station or traveling for my job. I’m meeting diplomats, celebrates, or interviewing people involved in up-to-the-moment current events I don’t have time to sit at home and do nothing but throw cards around.”



“Cards sound like a great idea! I brought a UNO deck of my own and a few others too” offers Darcy wanting to continue the evening with Liz and ignoring Caroline’s commentary “Playing cards is one of my favorite things to do”.



Glaring at Liz who returns with a deck of cards from her book bag, Caroline looks incensed but then grabs the deck from Liz’s hand and shuffles like an expert to Darcy’s amazement.



“I played a few times at camp at a teen” states Caroline intuitively feeling Darcy’s attention on her agility and skill.



The deck is professionally dealt as Darcy and Liz surprised and in awe look on.



Throughout the game Caroline takes and creates many opportunities to touch Darcy’s hand, his arm, or his shoulder. She giggles at every thing he says which is slightly amusing or not intentionally meant to be humorous at all.



Darcy spends most of the evening ignoring Caroline’s flirtation, but concentrates on chatting with Liz throughout the evening enjoying the banter with her and appreciating the sound of her genuine laughter and quick wit.



Liz notices during the game that Darcy’s eyes charmingly glow in the light and crease at the edges. He has a warm affectionate smile. She likes that he is able to match her challenging wit and humor with stories and quips of his own. She appreciates how comfortable they appear to be with each other. Liz also likes the way he throws his head back when he laughs and turns his head to the side as he contemplates his next move or touches his chin before putting a ‘skip’ or ‘draw four’ down waiting for her next turn.



After several rounds which Liz wins, Darcy announces “I think that I will have to give up my long worn title since I have been surprisingly defeated by a new champion”.



Feeling exhilarated Liz smiles looking over her total points having enjoyed the friendly game with Darcy. “In between Caroline’s condescending comments, she has been pleasant enough too” considers Liz to herself.



“Well, I think that it is time for me to get some sleep. I’ll see you in the morning” announces Liz somewhat disappointed that the evening went so fast and that there wasn’t more hours in the day to talk with Darcy.



“Goodnight Liz, sleep well. I’ll meet you for breakfast in the morning. It will be served at 8 am” states Darcy looking forward already to tomorrow’s dawn.



“Yes, Darcy and I will see you tomorrow. We enjoyed playing the game with you tonight. We like playing card games together and it was nice of you to join us. We don’t often get a chance to relax together and we had a great time.” offers Caroline with special exaggerated emphasis on “we” and “us” as a small reminder to Liz of their joint understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment