Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chapter Eighteen - Blood and Fire

“Alice it’s time to climb in the red bomb” commands Jennings as she aims for the door in her purple shirt trimmed as if wearing a feather boa around the collar. “We’ve got plans for tonight and I want to see my girl. Liz was a good kid, I hope she is still making something of herself” and then more eagerly to hear the latest gossip “I need to catch up on all that boyfriend stuff though. I feel that I am falling behind the times.”

Calling from the kitchen in a sing song voice, “I’m coming! I’m making me a large diet Coke to take with me to their house. It’s always so stuffy there and it takes forever for her to offer anyone some tea to drink!” Alice Hammer explains for the slight delay tip-toeing carefully through the living room to catch the swinging screen door just ahead of her.

Climbing into the twenty year old Grand Torino painted in bright fire engine red, Alice Hammer smiles with thrill preparing for their new adventure.

“I bought this baby in retirement because I was only allowed to drive a blue Ford before” sincerely adding “I picked it because I liked the way it matched my epaulets” states Jennings while tenderly tapping the roof of her car.

Finally the car stubbornly answers to the ignition as they pull out of the drive way with intensity and speed. The leaves of the trees lining the front entrance of the Silver Star Senior residence ruffle and flitter in response to the unusual and welcomed activity.

Hitting a few pot holes and the random curb, Jennings and Alice Hammer gleefully trot down the road. “That Lieutenant Collins sure beats to his own drum” reflects Jennings thinking of last week’s corps council meeting “But Char is so sweet. I wonder how she puts up with his rhythm every day”.

“Yes, he kind of is his own ‘bird’ – as I like to say. Each of us has our own feathers and colors. Some of us fly, some of us prefer walking, and even a few would rather swim” politely considers Alice Hammer stretching her restless legs while “Fly like an Eagle” comes to mind that she subconsciously begins to hum.

Through her peripheral vision, Jennings glances at Alice Hammer trying to understand what she is talking about and decides to give up. But Alice Hammer sensing that she is being watched catches Jennings’ eye mid-hum and they both giggle at their own humor.

“How was corps council?” curiously asks Alice Hammer unable to make it because Peaches was getting her monthly hair cut.

“Let’s just say. Lieutenant Collins offers so many compliments about Major Deburge it is very difficult to decipher what he is actually trying to say. He seems to get lost in the fluency of his own thoughts. I find myself drifting to someplace else and have forgotten what we were even talking about.” Jennings explains “It was rather embarrassing this last week”.

Knowing that something interesting is sure to have happened, Alice Hammer excitedly asks, “What happened?”

“Well, it is like this. As usual Lieutenant Collins was rambling fand I was drifting into my own little world. Evidently, the only words I heard were ‘auction’ and ‘world services’. Both seem to be rational words to me. He asked for suggestions. I thought he meant volunteers to set up. He wasn’t. I volunteered myself to be auctioned off to a very lucky party to have a dinner date with me” grumpily states Jennings embarrassed by her own foolishness.

Alice Hammer laughs quite loudly at this announcement but with great enthusiasm, “Maybe Mr. Woodhouse will finally take you out on a date rather than just watching the comedy “Pastors like Us” on Sunday evenings in the common room! Wouldn’t that be exciting! Maybe I can go with you too!”

At this cataclysmic idea Jennings frowns to herself. Should Mr. Woodhouse finally take her out, the last thing she would like is a chaperone to record this exceptional event. “ It definitely would be a disaster then . . .” muses Jennings in her own thoughts. She imagines Alice Hammer taking photos as if she is a tourist having found the President sitting at the next table for dinner clicking at every sip and movement of silverware. The image does not inspire her but she does begin to think about what she will wear should the event actually happen.

“What will you wear? It’s got to be something special. I could help you and do your hair. But I don’t think we should let Martha Wilmere do your nails. She’s free but lately she is fascinated with black sheep decals. Last month it was lizards. I think Martha may be losing it a little” thoughtfully considers Alice Hammer glancing at her own nails which still reflect faded shades of dark green.

“I have a dark blue sequined floor length dress that I found at the thrift store a few years ago. They had a beautiful Southern plantation hat in light blue which matched quite nicely. I found some long sleeve white gloves to give the outfit some flair. At Home League camp they decided to have a beauty contest that year. I won the “Miss Congeniality”, but unfortunately not the talent contest. I did a clog routine to the march “Down the Street” and was runner up, but Eloise Winterise won playing the Founders Song on the hammer dulcimer. She was very good” remembers Jennings with a friendly air of disappointment.

“I think we’re almost there. Major DeBurge can be so intimidating. I’m not sure whether she likes me or not” considers Alice Hammer straightening her shirt and checking for any leftover spots from lunch earlier in the day.

“Of course she likes you. Everyone likes you. If they don’t, it isn’t worth being concerned about. Happiness in life isn’t based on how others feel about us but found in how much we enjoy and appreciate others” encouragingly offers Jennings hoping that this will be a good evening of fellowship at the home of their corps officer.

“I am looking forward to seeing Liz and Char tonight! It will be so good to visit with them again. I hear that Darcy and his cousin are in town too. I wonder if they will be there as well. Liz is such a beautiful girl, I could really see Darcy and her together but they didn’t really hit it off at the wedding. Maybe this will be a better setting” remembers Alice Hammer as they pull up into the family driveway that has belonged to the last five sets of officers stationed at Crestwood. The trim on the windows have changed, but that is about it.

Jennings takes a deep sigh in preparation for the evening after turning off the ignition and the car slowly settles into place from its personal rattling sounds. She silently considers to herself “It is always fun to be with friends and enjoy the chatter of those who care for each other.”

No comments:

Post a Comment