Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

Blood & Fire - Chapter Twenty-Five

Disparagingly Liz stands glaring at the mirror in the dressing room of the Giselle store in the mall.  A pile of clothes lay haphazardly tossed on the bench in the changing room. “Nothing seems to fit!  Or I just look stupid!  What do you think of this, Char?”

Standing in the hallway, Char feels the endless agony of trying to help her friend decide what will make her evening special.  Liz stands in front of her, her face buried in a collage of ruffles and frills with a waistband so high that it appears that a designer has decided that there is only one part of her body left to accent.

Char sighs with a note of comfort in her voice “I’m sure whatever you decide will be all right”. 

In a fit of disgust, Liz kicks the spare pant leg away from her body but her shoe randomly collides with her frustration knocking her shoe into the stall next to her.  Liz bends down and yells between the end of the wall and the floor “Sorry!” The shoe with deliberate momentum is kicked back with a gruff humph.  “Obviously, her clothes are not fitting her either” murmurs Liz quietly to herself.

“Thanks for helping me hang up all these clothes again” appreciatively states Liz and then sigh of feeling overwhelmed,   “He just wasn’t very clear.  I’m not sure if this is a date or not –a-date.  I don’t want to overdress and make us both uncomfortable.  In particular I don’t want to embarrass myself if we are just going out as buddies.  I guess it doesn’t matter because I can’t find anything that doesn’t make me look like an Amazon, clown, or an elephant!” rationalizes Liz as she tosses another less-than-perfect shirt on top of the large pile “But if he has really invited me out on a date, then I want to make sure that he knows that I’m really looking forward to spending the evening with him.”

“Wait a minute, I’ll be right back!” excited states Char watching another woman returning some dresses that evidently were also lost cause.

Assuredly Char returns after a few moments. “Why don’t you try these two?” suggests Char handing her a black dress on a hanger through the slight opening of the door which she spent the last ten minutes looking for tired of looking at Liz’s choices of which not seemed quite right.

After a few minutes of shuffling and banging her elbow on the door with an “owww”  Char hears a shrieking voice “I like it!” as the door finally opens “What do you think?” asks Liz.

It is a simple black spaghetti strapped blouse with a chiffon see-thru bolero top with cleavage hidden but tastefully unconcealed with matching tailored dark slacks.  “I think that is very nice!” agrees Char “You’ll definitely have to get that one!” then with some encouragement “Why don’t you try this dress on too?”

After a few more minutes of wiggling and scuffling, “Wow!” Char hears Liz’s voice through the door.  “I think that I might have to save this for a time when I know for sure it is a ‘date’!”

“What do you think?” asks Liz twirling so Char can see and measure every angle to make sure it fits right.

With eyebrows raised Char confirms and pleased for her friend “I think Darcy will like that very much!”

“I think it is a bit daring for a first date” pointing to the slit on her right leg and a neckline that decidedly plunges a little deeper than a t-shirt” admiring herself again in the mirror “but I think he will like it too! Hopefully he will ask me out on another date or a first date depending on whatever this is.”

Now realizing that it is time to pay for her items, Liz glances down at the dangling price tags from her handful of items.  Absorbing the price of each items Liz grimaces “Well, at least working the required overtime will help me pamper myself a little bit”.  She digs through the chasm of her cluttered purse to find a debit card and confidently places it on the counter in front of the clerk.  The clerk picks up each item and admires her choices boosting Liz’s confidence that she has chosen wisely.

“Did you bring some black heels with you?” asks Char cautiously aware that this might mean another trip to a different store.

“Yes, I have some black platform pumps with a peep-toe that I think will work well with both outfits.” Relieved explains Liz ready to taking her shopping conquest home and rest her feet for awhile.

“Why don’t we head over to Starcups for some good coffee?  I think that I need to find a burst of energy that seems severely lacking at the moment” announces Char alleviated that the shopping tour has ended.

Resting in a comfortable booth holding their warm cups of steaming coffee, Char casually glances around the café and notices two of her recognizable friends walking towards the counter.

“Liz, you might want to slowly look over your left shoulder.  I think a few of our friends had the same idea” instructs Char smiling at this chance meeting among friends.

Before turning hearing a familiar voice request a cappuccino, Liz feels her cheeks gently turning crimson.  Instantly, Liz grabs the store bags with large labels and pushes them under the table.  Anxiously but without reason Liz wants to remove any proof for Darcy to realize that she has been thinking about him all day during her shopping adventures.

“Hey!  Can we join you?” asks William pulling up a chair before waiting for a response “What are you doing here?”

“We’re shopping” responds Char with a twinkle in her eye towards her friend “It’s what women usually do on a Saturday or so I’ve heard.  It’s not my thing, but today we have had fun.”

Uncharacteristically Liz is quiet and goofily grins not trying to give herself away.  She starts to touch her cup but has forgotten the sleeve and it is too hot to touch.  Darcy leans his head and little to the left, noticing that something is up even if he isn’t sure what it is.

 “Just a minute . . . “politely states Darcy. He returns with a mug sleeve for her coffee. 

Noticing his kindness, Liz warmly smiles up at him “Thank you. I somehow managed to forget to pick up one”.

When Darcy attempts to pull up his discovered lone chair from across the room to the table, William competitively scoots his chair closer to Liz to make room for Darcy, but then casually rests his arm on the back of Liz’s chair while talking to the others as if claiming his seat.  Darcy looks him in the eye and then shakes his head at him and turns away.

“So, what have you been shopping for?” practically asks Char “It doesn’t look like you are carrying any shopping bags that I can see”.

“I just came along for the ride.  Darcy needed a haircut. He was insistent on wanting something more stylish than his typical mop.  He thought the mall would be the best place to find one” jokes William laughing at his cousin “He needed me as an advisor to tell him what was ‘in’ since he seems rather clueless to me.  What have you girls been up to?”

“Nothing really . . . we’ve been just mostly looking.  I found a couple of things, when we decided to take a break and have a cup of coffee” interjects Liz before Char can explain any more unwanted details “By the way Darcy, the haircut looks good on you.”

Pleased, Darcy’s cheeks turn slightly pink at the reception of her compliment “Thanks.” Then self-consciously tossing his head to the side as an after comment and softly spoken “I’m glad you like it.”

Watching him in response Liz beams thinking to herself how handsome he looks today.  She adjusts her chair so she has a better view of him and not so much of William who is sitting next to her.

“So Liz, what kind of movies do you like? Darcy and I were talking and trying to figure that out today” William looks over at Char sipping on her hot coffee and with a friendly smile and twist of his lips “Don’t worry Char, you weren’t left out, we discussed you and Collins too.”  He smiles a very large cheesy smile. Char rolls her eyes and smiles back at him as she sets her coffee on the table waiting to hear what this discussion contained.

“Umm . . .  I’d like to hear what you picked out for me” curiously responds Liz wondering how well William or Darcy know her.

“I said you like horror films and heavy action movies with futuristic military men” confidently admits William “I think Darcy was way off.  I don’t think he knows you as well as I do.”

Scrutinizing William’s choices but trying not to give her thoughts away, Liz jokingly asks “Okay Darcy confess . . . what did you choose for me?”

Darcy blushes, “I … don’t know … I was just guessing” shuffling his feet under the table “It was a conversation William started and couldn’t get away from” glaring at his cousin for the moment.

“Go on tell her, or I will.  Then we’ll see who is right!” teases William enjoying seeing Darcy look so uncomfortable about being put on the spot.

“I would guess since you like to write that stories would be something that interests you.  So, I think books made into movies, period dramas, some action if it relates to a point in history might be something that you would like, but I could be completely wrong.  I guessing from what I know about you” unusually shyly responds Darcy taking another sip of his warm coffee.

“Well, you are right.  I do really enjoy movies from history and I do like thrillers, but unfortunately not the horror scream-a-thons which most people seem to enjoy.  I do like the occasional sci-fi movie with futuristic beings, but not where the movie is one entire battle scene.  Of course my favorites which you were able to surmise are the period dramas but I like comedy and most movies in general” rambles Liz providing a more than necessary and descriptive answer which Darcy attempts to memorize for future reference.

“I’m really disappointed in you.  I thought the scream-fest would be at the top of your list” teases William “I’m not so sure about those old-fashioned costume movies though . . . not my thing” unconsciously shaking his head in response to that unwanted answer.

“What movies do you like Darcy?” curiously asks Liz to see if their interests are the same or what they might share in common.

“Adventure, action, but I also like history movies too as long as it is a realistic and mostly accurate portrayal of events in time” offers Darcy contemplating “I like some drama if it is done well and not over the top, and a good comedy is always fun.  I’ll have to take you to some of the movies I like and see what you think Liz.”

“I think that would be a great idea! Just don’t be mad if I don’t like something.  Some people are very protective of their movie opinions” smiles Liz recalling for a moment and unable to stop before expressing herself trapped within her memories “I went on a very bad first and only date experience that just went downhill from there.  Fortunately, he never called again.”

Darcy nervously chuckles “I hope those things go better with me . . .  or us . . . uh “then shaking his head “you know what I’m trying to say . . .”

“I’m not so sure Darcy” intentionally confused states William “Sometimes you are hard to figure out. But I do remember that time the group of us went to the alien movie in college and Caroline Bingley clung to you the entire movie when she wasn’t screaming at the top of her lungs in the theatre”.

Both William and Darcy rambunctiously laugh to each other until Darcy notices the look of irritation on Char’s face and an image of disappointment hanging from Liz. He suddenly gulps and takes another sip of his coffee.

“Who has Caroline been dating anyway?  Has she caught you yet?” taunts William “She’s been chasing you for years! Frankly, I don’t think she’ll ever give up until she has her trophy.”

“Caroline and I are just friends” firmly states Darcy looking at William but then directly looking into Liz’s eyes to confirm the truth of his statement.  “I think Caroline would never be happy with me, and I’m sure she’ll find someone else who is willing to keep her attention”.

“You’re probably right.  Caroline is a bit of a viper though.  You never know when she is going to bite you though if you cross her” mocks William from personal dating experience “There’s always Anne, I guess, if Caroline chains someone else.”

Feeling uncomfortable with the whole conversation, Liz interrupts “I’ll be right back” and heads towards the ladies room. Char picks up her purse and follows behind her.

Swiftly Darcy kicks William in the shin under the table. In response William squeals rubbing his leg “What did you do that for? I haven’t done anything!”

 Tightening his upper lip, “Would you quit bringing up the old girlfriends? Find something, anything else to talk about!”  Darcy crosses his arms in front of him and rests his knee on his leg too turning slightly in his chair away from the view of William beside him.

Char and Liz return after a few moments.  It appears both have refreshed their lipstick and have shared some secret communication with each other although the code is still unknown to the men whom they are sharing coffee with.

“So what are your plans for the next month or so?  Will you be seeing the Bingley’s?” curious but with a motive of intent asks Char.

“I think that I’ll be running into Bingley next week at a conference.  I don’t know when I’ll see Caroline again” offers Darcy in an attempt to make it clear that Caroline is not an item on his social calendar.

“Please say “HI!” to Bingley for me and I’m sure Jane would like me to send greetings to” offers Liz “Jane has been doing very well and likes her job.  Hopefully the Bingleys will be returning again next summer”.

“I don’t know what they are planning.  It’s difficult to keep up with their schedule” abruptly states Darcy “I suppose your sister has been spending time with her friends”.

“Yes, she has lots of friends” defensively reprimands Liz not understanding the change in tone of Darcy’s voice but trying to match it “She goes out all the time with people she cares about.”

“It figures” retorts Darcy under his breath smartly taking another sip of his coffee and ignoring any response Liz might have.

For a moment, Liz looks at him puzzled a little confused by his behavior when her sister is mentioned.  She decides to dwell on the possible reason later on her own.

“Let them know, we would like to see them again at Longbourne Citadel when you happen to run into them again!” continues Liz hoping that Darcy will encourage Bingley to make another visit.

“Well ladies, I think that it’s time Darcy and I headed out.  We’ll see you later!” chants William pushing his chair back into the table.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Liz.  I’ll be there at 6 pm” confirms Darcy rather briskly.

“See you then!”  Returns Liz with a smile still not sure if it is a ‘date’ or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment