Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Blood & Fire - Chapter Twenty-Three

Adjusting the visor and then his seat, Darcy leans back as he waits in the parking lot of the bowling alley for his other friends to arrive.  He glances at his watch.  It is a little early and gives him time to think about his hopes for the evening.

With a friendly smile, he hears the familiar sounds of “Maud” gliding around the corner.    He ducks down so that he will not be noticed.  He watches as Liz attempts three times to Parallel Park between to the white lines of the parking space.  She still misses as he sees Liz shrug her shoulders while rolling her eyes and then turning off the ignition.  

Pulling down the visor and peering at the mirror, Liz brushes her hair and then makes a face scrunching up her nose.  Darcy sees her bending over in the car seat, obviously frantically looking for something.  She again comes to attention and stares back at the mirror adjacent to her forehead.   She applies the lipstick and then appears to be growling in the mirror.  Darcy can’t figure out what she is doing, until he notices her finger brushes her teeth to remove some unwanted mauve lipstick. She does a cheesy smile, grimaces, and then throws her leftover hair back over her shoulder.

With the sound of the cranky door opening, Darcy ducks deeper beneath the dashboard but keeps enough of a periscope view to watch her disembarking.  Liz steps out of her car but is suddenly snapped back as she attempts to sling her purse over her shoulder.  The seat belt whips around her, practically choking her.  Darcy stifles his chuckles in case he should be caught observing this nonsense. 

Angrily Liz attempts to separate her errant purse from the seat belt that is stubbornly still attached to her car.  She with grace closes her car door, and then quietly looks around to see if anyone has noticed.  Convinced that she is free from shame, Liz smiles to herself unable to control her laughter at her own silliness while heading toward the entrance door of the bowling alley. 

Feeling the pain of biting his lip too hard in an attempt not to be heard, he finally lets out a guff of laughter.  Recalling how much that he has enjoyed being with Liz lately, he pulls again at his shirt to make sure that he is ready for the evening with her.

As he locks the door to his car, Anne pulls up beside him in her tiny Smart car. “Hi Darcy!  Look, how convenient, I found a space right next to you!  It’s as if you saved it for me!” suggests Anne flashing her biggest smile.

“Hi Anne.  How are you?” politely asks Darcy slowing down not to make it appear to Liz that they might have arrived together. 

Noticing the slowing of his moments, Anne continues “Don’t rush!  I’ll wait for you.  We can go in together.  I find it so hard to always be the first one to arrive or to end up going in alone.  It’s much easier having someone to meet the crowds with.  You know what I mean?”

“Yes, I do.   But I might be a moment or two; I think that I left my wallet in the car.  Go on ahead, I’ll meet you inside in just a moment” offers Darcy not sure what else to do.

“No, you didn’t.  I can see it in your back pocket.  I forget sometimes the simplest things too.  I’m always losing my keys and can’t find them anywhere then I realize that they were in my hand the whole time!  I’m sure you never do anything like that though.  You are someone others depend on to find things for them” states Anne with a twinkle in her smile and then setting her pace to match in line with Darcy’s step.

Darcy smiles as he takes in a deep breath.  This evening may not go exactly as he had originally planned.  When reaching the sidewalk, he feels a slap on his back.  Darcy turns around to see his cousin William.

“Ohhhh” in a singsong voice “I see you have a date tonight!” smirks William glad that his competition is already occupied with someone else.

“No, uh, I, uh, we, uh” stammers Darcy unable to think of a quick response to counter what he knows to be William’s thoughts.

Anne interrupts, “How funny!  Darcy and I on a date!  Yes, I can see how you might think we were together.  Sometimes people do that if they don’t ask assuming what a great couple we would make. But we’re “just friends” you know” moving in closer to Darcy and giving him a little squeeze and hug around his arm while catching William’s eyes to confirm his suspicion.

Darcy nervously smiles and moves a step in the opposite direction from her to put some distance between the two of them. 

Seeing that Darcy is quickly moving ahead of them up the cement stairs, Anne calls out “Darcy, could you wait a minute?  I wore these heels with my jeans and I think there is a pebble in the bottom of one of the shoes.  If you don’t mind, I need to borrow your shoulder to help me balance for a moment”.

William contentedly smiles at Anne’s conquest.  With one hand in his pocket and the other opening the door, enters the bowling alley for the evening of activities with Liz and his other friends.

Intentionally keeping Darcy’s attention, Anne removes and places her errant shoe a few times back on her feet until William is safely in the door and beyond being able to return.  “I think that I got it now.  I really could not have done it without your help!”

Dismissively Darcy replies, “No, problem” as he anxiously moves quickly towards the door to catch up with his cousin with Anne successfully tottering closely behind.

As they enter the bowling alley Alice Hammer greets them at the entrance, “What are you doing here?  I just saw William and Liz at the soda counter but haven’t had a chance to say hello yet.”

Although normally thrilled to see Alice Hammer, Darcy is a little agitated not to be able to talk with Liz before it appears William already has a chance.  “We’re having a get-together will some of the people of the corps and we’re running a little late”.

“Oh.  I hope I’m not holding you up!” smiles Alice Hammer chopping on some bright pink gum and attempting then to blow a bubble. “I just love Bubble bonanza gum.  It blows the biggest bubbles.  I just can’t help myself!”

Darcy relaxes and smiles at his friend.  “It’s good to see you too!  I didn’t know you played in a bowling league.”

“Oh yes!  For the last few months I’ve been on the corps Home League team with a few members from the Men’s Club.  We had to add the men after Myrtle and Olive got mad because we decided that gutter balls had to be counted rather than just being considered a practice throw. They quit, so we added Mr. Woodhouse to the team.  Jennings came up with the name “Super Salvos” for our group.  If you notice, our colors are in red, yellow, and blue.  See the name is on the back of my yellow bowling shirt” excitedly explains Alice Hammer grabbing an unobservant Jennings by the sleeve coming up next to her.  Alice Hammer models the team logo on the back of Jennings’ shirt with bright red glitter letters spelling “SUPER SALVOS” as if pretending to be Vanna White on Wheel of Fortune.

Deeply sighing, Alice Hammer continues “I wanted each of us to wear a tiara like Wonder Woman with the shield in the middle, but Jennings thought that might be a bit too much” lifting both of her wrists in a crossed formation for an easy view raising her voice in sheer excitement “However, she still allowed us to have the gold terrycloth wrist bands with the red star the middle!”

Jennings standing next to Alice Hammer now, rolls her eyes and shakes her head feeling rather helpless to make any other choice.  “What can I say?  Compromise is always a good idea if you want to make your team happy “displaying her own empowerment wrist bands “I guess we are all super heroes.  I just wish that I could manage my gutter balls a little better” excuses Jennings feeling a bit dismayed by the evening’s final team score.

“We’re about ready to go get some pizza at the “Pizza Palace” around the corner.  Maybe if it’s not too late you could join us later” kindly offers Alice Hammer,  “However, Mr. Woodhouse has a bedtime of 8 pm, so if we are not back at the Silver Crest by then, he’ll be a real cranky teddy bear tomorrow!”

Jennings standing beside her giggles at the truth of this statement. “Mr. Woodhouse functions as our manager.  But it is hard to keep him awake during the game especially if it lasts longer than we expect it to because of having to wait for a lane to open”.

“It’s good seeing you!  Hope you have a great evening together!” waves Jennings pulling Alice Hammer towards the door “Well kids, it’s time for us to go, my stomach is speaking back to me.  I’m hungry and Pizza Palace has the best croutons!”  Just behind her Mr. Woodhouse raises his arm branded with his own gold terrycloth wristband waving “Good seeing you guys!” and then with a large yawn letting the door slowly close behind him.

Trying to keep up, Anne quietly follows Darcy taking rapid tiny steps over to the shoe counter.  Darcy asks for his shoe size and turns to Anne waiting for her response.  Anne looks a little confused for a moment, but then seems to have an idea “I’ll take a nine” calmly states Anne.

Anne picks up her standard pair of bowling shoes from the counter and catches up with Darcy to walk in sync with him to the seating coral where William and Liz are chatting while waiting for the others to arrive.  Darcy aims for an empty seat on the other side of Liz.  Anne rushes to sit down next to him.

After a moment while putting on their shoes, Anne declares “I don’t think that I got the right shoes Darcy!  What am I going to do?  I think my feet are going to slip right out of these!”

“Sometimes the shoe sizes run bigger I guess they’ll probably trade them for you with no problem” offers Darcy.

“Oh, I’d be too embarrassed to go up and tell them that I intentionally chose a pair of shoes too large for myself.  I brought thick socks thinking that I would need a larger size.  Would you trade them for me?  I don’t think they would ask you too many questions” pleads Anne acting a little too afraid of her shadow.

Darcy looks up from tying his own shoes, catching Liz’ expression of a compassionate grin with closed tight lips and shrugging shoulders and feels unwillingly obligated to help Anne exchange her pair of bowling shoes.

As Darcy walks away towards the shoe counter, Anne quietly whispers to Liz but loud enough for William to hear too “He knows how exactly to take care of me.  He’s such a sweetheart!”  Anne smugly smiles to herself.

In contrast, Liz looks down at her feet doubting that she would ever ask someone else to exchange her shoes for another pair. 

As Darcy returns with a new set, Anne has moved his shoes and jacket to the next set of benches so that he and Anne are no longer sitting on the same bench as Liz and William.  A third bench remains empty for the late arrivals bursting through the front doors with the neon sign.

“We’re so sorry!  I didn’t know we were going to be this late!  Char forgot to plug in the GPS and I forgot where the bowling alley was located!  I didn’t want to stop and ask for directions because I’ve seen this place dozens of times before but it kept hiding from me!” animatedly excuses Collins wistfully entering the room so that everyone can hear his excuse for being late.

Liz tries to contain her shock at the spectacle before her.  She glances over at her best friend.  Char weakly smiles in return and helplessly unable to find a reason shakes her head hiding behind Collins. 

“Do you like me outfit?  I found this online!  It was such a deal!” exclaims Collins proud of his purchase achievement.  He is wearing a bright mango shirt with black and white panels of cow print down the front with matching cow print trousers with “Yee” and “Haw” printed on each back pocket.  For the final flare, the back heels of his brown suede shoes have a pair of Texas long horns printed on them.

Unable to control his laughter, William coaxes “Wherever did you find it? I may want to by myself an outfit too!”

“I found it on ‘this is your lane dot com’.  It’s an excellent place to find clothing and other things that you can’t find anywhere else” enthusiastically explains Collins “I was going to wear the cowboy hat that comes with it, but Char told me it was better to leave it at home in case someone accidently picks it up and takes it with them”.  Char slyly grinning sitting behind him on the bench as she reaches for a pair of socks from her purse.

“Well who is up first?” asks William ready to get the game started.

“I suggest we go in alphabetical order so that it can be fair to everyone” remarks Anne moving closer to Darcy in the seat beside her.

“Sounds good to me” states Char not really caring one way or another as she contemplates the outfit her husband has chosen for the evening finally but relinquishing her anxiety among close friends.

“Anne, you are up first” notifies William as he finishes entering their names into the computer screen.

Weakly, Anne chooses the heaviest ball from the carriage with a large 14 printed on the front.  The ball looks as if it will crash from her hand with little effort.  She appeals directly to Darcy “I don’t know what size ball to use.  I think this one might be too heavy for me.  What do you think, Darcy?”

“There are some lighter balls that you can use.  Look for the blue one that Liz chose with a 10 on the front.  I think that will work much better for you” wisely offers Darcy not realizing Anne’s intent.

“Thanks.  You’re right!  This is so much better!  Now, let’s see if I can get it down the lane!” jokes Anne smiling sweetly to Darcy “I’m not too good at things like this!”

Anne throws the ball with ease down the center of the lane hitting six pins on her first try.  She ends her turn with a spare.  Char and Liz share a look between themselves at Anne’s triumph.

Char’s turn is next.  She manages to take down four pins and is pleased with the outcome.  Collins follows her for his turn. 

He walks up to the carriage and examines all the balls.  He raises his hand and flexes each finger.  He does a unique exercise with his index finger in particular. He lifts each ball and tests each one for their weight and centrifugal force as he extends each ball back and forth twisting in the process while maintaining his hold.

A little annoyed William urges “Collins, we are going to be here all night if you don’t choose a ball already! I need to get more soda . . . “

Collins approaches the line and then gently backs up four large steps backwards while facing forward. He nearly falls from the platform but is able to catch his balance with the ball still in hand.  He intently concentrates on the ball while it is held equal to his eyes for a full moment. He then spreads his arms out before him side to side and with a fleur sort of leaps towards the penalty line with two giant lunges.  Ironically, as the ball bounces in protest against the polished wooden floor, he bowls a strike.

Everyone glances at each other in stunned amazement at his technique and victory.  Char earnestly claps at his achievement.  Collins comes quickly to her side and gives her a huge hug “That was for you, darling!”

“Darcy, I think it is your turn now to entertain us!” teases William typing in the score “However, Collins is a hard act to follow.”

Tugging at the back of his shirt, Darcy heads toward the platform.  He makes an attempt to remember the steps to achieving a good bowling score that he learned in middle school.  He glances to the arrows printed on the floor and choose to focus on one that is slightly to the right of center.  Taking three steps, he releases the bowl for a fairly good result of knocking down five pins.  He takes another turn with the result of adding another four.  He smiles proudly to the crowd of his score on returning to his reserved place on the bench next to Anne.

“Good job!” politely remarks Liz getting ready for her turn while trying to remember which ball she chose for the game.

Darcy smiles up at her “Well, I tried my best! Good luck!”

In response, Anne loudly sniffs and crosses her legs in the opposite direction accidently gently hitting Darcy on the shin.

Sorting through the weight of the balls, Liz picks a light weight ball and correctly aims for the center.  She knocks down eight pins, and then a gutter ball on her second turn. “Oh well, I’ll do better next time! Eight is not so bad.”

“You did a great job, Liz!” exclaims William “Now, we’ll have to see how I do.”

“Liz, you need to focus more when you play.  You seemed to have lost your concentration on your second turn.  You need to keep all outside influences at bay and you could do so much better” advises Collins re-tying the lace on his suede shoes with the long horn prints.

Taking a deep breath, Liz glares in return but then empathetically smiles at Char who is nervously biting her lower lip knowing that Liz does not like to be unnecessarily criticized.

As the evening continues, each takes their turn.  Finally it is William’s turn again.  Confidently, William turns to Liz with a huge friendly smile, “Wish me luck!” as he eases his way up to the platform. 

Quickly glancing over to the next bench, Darcy takes Liz in for a moment to see if she is returning William’s attention.  Relieved, he sees that she doesn’t appear to be overly interested but enjoying her time with the entire group.

With skill and ease William bowls a comfortable spare.  He raises his hands above his head like Rocky winning a championship.  Char, Anne and Liz cheer in recognition of his antics.  Darcy smirks, “It’s time to get some nachos.”

“I’ll go with you!  You may made need some help” offers Anne rushing to catch up to him as he is several strides ahead walking towards the snack bar.

Annoyed, Darcy glares at the menu.  He is tired of his cousin flirting with Liz throughout the evening.  “What do you want?” asks Anne moving very close to him.  “My favorites are the mozzarella sticks and onion rings! Have you ever tried them?  We could share if you wanted to.”

“Ummm … I think that I’ll settle for the nachos” blandly replies Darcy with other thoughts crowding his mind.

“I don’t think that I brought enough with me, would you mind letting me borrow a few dollars?” replies Anne “I just love their cheese sticks!”

“Don’t worry about it.  I’ll get it for you” kindly offers Darcy wondering what is happening with everyone else.

The waitress hands them their order.  “I might slip in these shoes, would you mind carrying my food for me?” asks Anne pretending to catch her balance.

“No problem” offers Darcy taking her paper red checkered container from her with his left hand while balancing his nachos in the other.

On arriving back with everyone else, Liz comments “that looks really good.  I’m going to get some for myself!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll let you share some of mine I’ve got plenty!” offers Darcy.

Slightly annoyed at the diversion of attention Anne interrupts “Darcy was so kind.  He got nachos and cheese sticks for us to share.  I’m sure we will have enough for you too.”

“This isn’t a restaurant!  Anne it is your turn again” sternly orders the competitive Collins “You can eat after you take her turn”.

For a second Anne narrows her eyes at Collins but quickly regains her composure realizing that she is being watched by the others.  Anne starts to step on the platform but intentionally lets her foot slide off the edge. “Oooo . . . I think that I hurt my ankle.  See I told you, Darcy the floors were too slick for my shoes.” Anne limps back to where she has been sitting next to Darcy.  “Do you think you could look at it?  It really hurts”.  Before Darcy has a chance to answer, she has lifted her foot and rested it on Darcy’s knee.

Taken by surprise, Darcy leans back away from her obnoxious foot and states, “It looks fine to me, and I think you’ll be all right.”

“Only if you say so” smirks Anne with a sly smile to the side in the direction of Liz.  She gentle removes her foot and places it where it belongs on the floor.  But moves in closer to Darcy to slightly rest against him.

Feeling uncomfortable with how things are going, Darcy quickly stands up “I think that I need another soda. Would anyone else like one?” Looking directly at Liz and then at Char.

“I’m fine.  Thanks though” offers Char “I still have the one from earlier”.

“I’ll take one” suggests Collins pounding his hand with his chest “the carbonation has a tendency to affect me, but another one sounds good right now.  I’ve been using up a lot of energy while bowling.”

Everyone is amused by this statement.  His dance routines in his effort to release the ball have been quite entertaining all evening.

“Liz would you like another soda or anything else?” asks Darcy walking over to where she is standing and inhaling her sweet floral perfume.

“Thanks.  I’ll come with you” offers Liz smiling up at him “I want to see what else they have too”.

Pleased, Darcy waits for Liz so she is able to walk and chat with him.  Anne notices his attentiveness to Liz.  Disgusted, Anne sulks in her chair plotting what to do next.

Looking up at the computer screen William notices “Collins, I think it is finally your turn again!”

Collins confidently walks to where his ball is resting quietly among the others.  Only the orange neon color of the ball stands out to reflect the personality of its owner. 

He grasps the ball tightly between his alternate fingers.  He conscientiously tests his aim raising the bowling ball to his eye level and holding it steady for several moments for effect. He focuses his energy on the center pin.  Takes his creative steps towards the foul line and swings with much gusto.  However, this time the moment of the ball shifts against the weight of its director, turning him in a 180 degree direction towards his friends where he obediently releases the force of the ball.  With great agility William ducks just in time as the ball glazes the air next to him barely missing the scoring machine.

The bright neon bowling ball comes to a disastrous conclusion falling loudly against the linoleum flooring and rolling under the bench banging again the metal rods of support.  Collins clasps his hands over his mouth to suppress a loud whelp of shock to his less than perfect throw.

Simultaneously Char laughs loudly and cannot seem to stop.  Tears stream down her cheeks as she tries to speak.  “I.. i..don..don’t think that is wha..what.. youuuu..wanted. tttto do!”

Shivering as a peacock about to spread his feathers, Collins with unnatural confidence walks over to the bench and recovers his ball that has been lodged underneath.  “I will try again.  It slipped out of my fingers.   It’s a new ball, sometimes things like that happen!”

While making a second attempt, Char’s stifled giggle can still be heard In the background with an occasional burst of laughter.   Collins knocks nine pins down.  Bursting into another stream of giggles Char quips “Great job honey!  You threw the ball in the right direction!”

In the meantime, Darcy asks Liz “How have you been doing?  I wanted a chance to talk to you tonight, but everyone has been rather busy. Are you enjoying your stay with Collins and Char?”

“I’m having a very good visit with my friends.  You know, I wondered how Char would like being married to him, but she actually seems very happy and content.  To be honest, I’m not sure I could handle him on a daily basis though.”

Darcy smiles and nods in agreement, “I think they’ve found a comfortable niche in relating to each other.  I think it is important to find someone you’re comfortable with and have an appreciation for”.

“Definitely.  I think it is much easier to be with someone you have a lot in common with as far as interests and personality rather than not.  Frankly, there is not as much explaining to do.  They just automatically understand without too much effort.” Suggests Liz.

“I don’t know about that.  I’m not sure that I will ever completely understand someone else.  I feel bewildered most of the time why things happen the way that they do especially in relationships” offers Darcy “Char is happy, but when I first met her I would have never matched her up with Collins”.

“True, he wouldn’t exactly have been my first choice” agrees Liz adding “But I think it’s important to find that person you feel you fit with rather than depending on everyone else’s opinion of what ‘might’ be good for you.  Usually that person is a version of what they would choose for themselves but not with you really in mind”.

“I think that you have a point there.  I often feel pressure from friends or family to date a certain woman who matches me in status and opportunities but they seem to be lacking in matching my soul” insightfully remarks Darcy lost in his thoughts “I want someone who can be with me on my good and bad days and still want to be with me”.

“I like that idea.  I’d like to find someone I could talk to who shares my passion and understanding of life” reflectively asserts Liz “Otherwise I think marriage could become quite a boring adventure.  I think that I would be constantly frustrated trying to find some equal ground and always falling short.”

“Well, I think we get along pretty well.  At least you are never boring to me” sincerely jokes Darcy as he moves closer to Liz and smiles tenderly at her.

Returning with their sodas, Anne announces “the game is almost over.  We’re just waiting on the two of you.  It took you long enough.  There must be some really slow help here.  My ankle is sore and I don’t think that I can play another game.  Darcy it is getting late and as you already know my mother hates for me to drive home alone.  Would you mind following me home after you finished your last round?”

Disappointed but feeling obliged because of numerous comments of nagging by Major Debourgh, Darcy agrees “Yeah.  I’ll follow you home.  Liz, do you think you’ll be alright?  I can wait for you to get to your car if you would like too”.

“I’ll take care of Liz you don’t need to worry Darcy.  Go ahead and follow Anne home.  You wouldn’t want anything to happen to her that you might be blamed for” nudges William happy to have a few more moments with Liz without the others before she goes back to Char’s home for the evening.

“We can follow Liz home.  William, you can go to your own house” states Collins oblivious to the dynamics and motives in the room.

“Uhh… okay” surprised states William not exactly sure how to handle his response.  He smiles at Liz “We definitely have to get together again sometime this week.  I’ll call you and you can let me know what your schedule is like”.

“Yes, it would be great for all of us to go out again together” interjects Darcy into the conversation.  “We need to make plans this week.  If you don’t mind, I’ll call and find out what is happening and I’ll let everyone else know.”

“Sounds like fun to me!  Just let me know.  I’ll see all of you later.  I need to stop by the store on my way back.  Hope all of you have a great evening!” states Liz walking towards the red Exit sign not sure how to absorb the last five moments and what really has been decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment