Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Waiting on the Stars - Chapter Five

Checking the time yet once again, Raiden anxiously wonders how anyone could be so consistently late.  Pressured to join in the outdoor activity to Oragone Falls, annoyed Raiden tries to fill his time by adjusting the stove and countertop to it's self-cleaning setting.


He finishes packing the Dream-Glyder, with the solar cooker for the barbeque.  The BBQ apparatus looks similar to a rainbow with solar panels that unfold to display the heating unit.  The panels are parabolic reflectors that induce heat up to 350 degrees to steam, roast, or fry delicious delights in as little as twenty minutes.  He throws in a couple of pairs of Fenix glasses that can see at night, provide up to date weather conditions and terrain, as well as a compass.  Packing a couple of portable rocking chairs with cup holders, hydrating backpacks, a global hotspot, and yeti cooler of items for the BBQ


Wearing his sapphire Tencel, merino wool, and nylon blend shirt to keep moisture from the skin, Crustidon superflap men’s leggings with matching hoodie in black, and his ultra train speed hikers, Raiden looks prepared for his outdoor adventure.  His leggings have a wrap around masculine skirt something like the old Scottish kilts that feature large pockets to carry a knife or other camping tools.


The lights flash on his music speaker as the doorbell rings.  “She finally made it” whispers Raiden to himself.


“Hello … it’s me … where are you?” sings Isla into the video box on the door adjusting her skirt and mini-top that do not look like she ever had any intention of spending the day in the woods.


“Are you going to be comfortable wearing that?” questions Raiden wondering if the plans changed that he may have not been aware.


“Yes of course, I’m wearing my ultra train sneakers, can’t you see?” remarks Isla modeling her new purchase for him.


“Do you want a hoodie to wear?” inquires Raiden suspecting the thin material will not keep her warm for very long.


“I guess.  It seems a bit chilly outside.  I don’t go out into the environment very often.  But can you find one that matches your outfit?” asks Isla always looking to coordinate whatever she wears. 


“I think my niece left one of her jackets the last time she visited, but it will probably fit you.  If not, we can stop and buy one for you” offers Raiden a little perturbed of the potentially even longer day.


“It’s fine.  I brought my lighted LED necklace in case it gets dark.  It has a compass on it too, but I don’t know how that works, do you?” sincerely asks Isla rarely outside of the boundaries of technology.


“Here you go.  Yes, I know how a compass works” replies Raiden judging her and wondering if she is being truthful with him and then considers her statement might be a fact.


Linking her arm with Raiden’s arm, Isla snuggles into him, “I’m so glad you are taking today off to spend time with me.  You’ve been so busy lately.  I think you have almost forgotten who I am.  But I would never let you do that you know.”


“As you are aware, I have been busy with the merger with the Elyson Foundation”, informs Raiden untwisting himself from her grasp “I’m sure you have plenty to do on your own when I am not around.”


“Someday I’m going to be spending every day with you so there is no way you will forget me”, teases Isla touching his hand and looking him directly in the eye.


“Who knows what will happen or where each of us will be, the future is uncertain”, Raiden returns not wanting to be put in a corner to confirm a more serious relationship between them that he is not willing or prepared to do.


Looking more deliberate and speaking in a direct tone, “I’m sure my brother’s investments into your company will guarantee a future for you, so you don’t need to worry about what will happen.”



Slowly Raiden strokes his chin and decides not to respond to her.  He grabs the last kit bag resting next to the door and heads toward the launch pad of his Dream-Glyder.


“Will your brother and sister-in-law be meeting us at the Falls or are we meeting them somewhere else?”, inquires Raiden relieved that others will be spending the day with them.


“Yes my sister, Eyta, is coming and so are my brother, Cohen and his wife, Morena” explains Isla disappointed that Morena had insisted on coming as well when Isla told her that they would be spending the day at the Falls.


“I don’t know how Morena ended up with Cohen”, remembers Isla “I was only a child.  But I liked Morena’s cousin, Adele, so much more. I haven’t seen her for years. She was a great babysitter and Cohen seemed to like her so much from what I could tell.  It never made sense that he married Morena rather than Adele.  While they were still engaged, I found a notebook that he had sketches in it of Adele.  I showed it to him, but he said that I should throw it away before Morena saw it.  He looked sad when he said it.  I’m sure he was in love with Adele rather than Morena.  I don’t understand how they ended up together.”


Considering some things that he did not want to share, Raiden responds “Some things are meant to be kept between two people, especially if it involves heartbreak or disappointment”


“Whatever, I think it is better to make good choices in the first place”, retorts Isla grabbing his hand “like I’ve chosen you.”


Moving his hand away from her and grabbing an ice drink container, “Experience and time often gives the answer to whether something or someone is a good choice or not. What still may be a good choice, may not be exactly the right choice for one person but the perfect choice for another.”


“I don’t know what you are going on about, but my family is probably waiting for us already at the Falls.  I ran a little late today because I couldn’t decide what to wear.  There are so many choices to be perfect you know”, explains Isla trying to assimilate with what Raiden has just said to her but not understanding what he was actually implying.


Flying over the urban center city, eventually they reach a dense wooded area near the staggered mountains of interwoven shades of blue and green.  The falls are within reach as the hear the thundering into the waters below them.


A voice announces overhead “Approaching Oragone Falls.  The portal is three miles east. You will be landing in 30 seconds. Prepare for your arrival.”


“Thank you, Myra”, states Raiden gathering his oversized bag of camping equipment together. “We will be leaving again in three hours.”


“I will be in hibernation until your arrival again at 4 pm”, responds the symmetric voice again.


“Why do you call your AI a name like Myra?  Why not something more modern?”, asks Isla. “My AI is called Dael, just like the amazingly handsome Fusion Vision actor.  He's so hot!"


“I like the name Myra.  I named my AI after my mother” explains Raiden wondering why a name of an AI would matter to her.


“Hi everybody! We’re here!” shouts Isla doing a rather childish toe trot to meet her family with her arm outstretched as if to hug them but does not.  “Did you wait for us for very long?  Raiden took forever to pack the glider.  He wanted to make sure I had everything I wanted.”


“Hi. How are you?” asks Raiden approaching the gathered group on the landing platform “I hope you didn’t wait too long.”


“Isla already explained why you are late”, offers Cohen taking one of the bags from Raiden’s shoulders. “Isla seems happy today, it's good to keep her happy. I never know what kind of mood she is going to feel the need to wear each day."


“Isla, where did you get those shoes?  I love them!” compliments Eyta envying the trendy if albeit peculiar, impractical, and expensive footwear “Did you see my new bag?”


“Maybe we should trade” suggests Isla admiring her sister’s newest purchase “that purse is absolutely gorgeous.”


“I’m not sure how a handbag can be gorgeous, but there are many things I’ve yet to understand”, murmurs Cohen glad to see another friend to spend the day with them other than just his wife and sisters.


As the group heads out along the trail to the picnic area, Morena announces “I don’t think I’ve seen so many birds in one place.”


“It’s beautiful here.  It’s one of my favorite places to hike”, shares Raiden admiring and picking up a colorful stone at his feet.


“I hope you don’t mind Raiden”, excuses Morena “I forgot to tell you I invited my cousin to join us for the BBQ today.  She recently returned to the city and I thought it would be a nice way to introduce her to the area again after so many years away.”


“Which cousin are you talking about?” curiously asks Raiden holding in his excitement for who this person could possibly be.


“I think you might have known her when you were younger.  I don’t know if you’ll remember her since it has been so long ago.  It’s Adele Elyson”, explains Morena “You probably don’t remember her, she wasn’t exactly someone like you would notice.”


“Yes, I remember Adele quite well”, responds Raiden not exactly liking Morena’s condescending tone and wanting to support his newly re-acquainted friend. "She's great.  She was lots of fun as I remember her."


“She used to follow my husband around everywhere before we were married.  I think she wanted to be me.  But Cohen couldn’t keep his eyes off me”, indignant if not accurate shares Morena “Isn’t that right, honey.”


“Whatever you say”, responds Cohen completely intentionally ignoring his wife before hearing the word ‘honey’.


“I think it was more like Morena following Cohen”, remembers Eyta whispering to Isla, who is still not an entire fan of Morena but resigned to the fact that her brother chose to be with her.


“Oh look, she must have heard us speaking about her”, chides Morena raising her hand as a megaphone and waving with the other, “Over here, Adele!  Look up here!”


About forty feet below the trail, Adele waves to the crowd gathered at a bench on the trail not too far above her.  “I’ll be there is just a minute!”


On the hill, Raiden turns his vision away from her, trying not to smile from his excitement at unexpectedly seeing her again. 


“I’m glad you could make it”, offers Morena “If there isn’t enough food for the BBQ, you can share with me.”


“Oh, were you not expecting me?  I don’t mind. I can make other plans, there’s a convenience shop at the crest of the mountain that has a café”, offers Adele slightly embarrassed to put the group in an awkward position.


“Morena forgot to tell Raiden you were coming.  He was planning the menu”, bluntly states Eyta quickly coming to Raiden’s defense.


“Don’t worry.  I brought enough for a week’s worth of food.  You can have as much as you would like”, sincerely offers Raiden hoping that Adele will feel welcomed and a part of the group.


“Uhhh … thank you”, offers Adele wondering if it was her cousin’s idea to invite her along or not.


Walking slightly ahead of the group, Adele is lost in her thoughts until she accidentally takes a misstep and slides along with the down the edge of trail.


“Be careful, the edge is rather dangerous, warns Raiden instinctively grabbing Adele by the arm pulling her away from the edge of the trail and closer to him.


“Thanks, I’ll keep a better eye on things”, agrees Adele sensing a spark of attraction from the simple touch on her arm.


“Raiden is always rescuing others”, explains Isla stepping between them breaking the grasp on Adele’s arm.  “He’s my hero."  Putting her arms around him with a huge hug and a kiss on the check to clarify with Adele that he is already taken in case there is any question.


“Adele always wondered off as a kid.  She’s a daydreamer.  If she’s not careful, we will find her at the bottom of the mountain”, suggests Morena desiring for the attention to be returned to herself “I can’t tell you how many times we found her reading a book under a tree or laying on a rock staring at the clouds in the sky while the rest of us were playing games or flirting with each other.”


“Yes, I guess that I did like to do my own thing a lot”, agrees Adele remembering writing poetry in her journals or spending the day reading a new book under the sky.


“I could never figure out what you found so fascinating about the sky or the outdoors” replies Morena with annoyance and disgust “It’s always too cold or too hot to bear it for any length of time.”


“I’d much rather be at a party than a BBQ, but since Raiden adores being outside, I guess that I have to compromise once in a while” pouts Isla having almost enough of the outdoors for one day.


“While you guys set up the BBQ, I’m going to go shopping at the convenience store.  Does anyone want to go with me?” asks Eyta tired of hiking.


“I think that I’m going to get a cappuccino”, suggests Isla “Wait up for me Eyta.”


“I’m going with you too.  I’m right behind you”, yells Morena fearing that she will be left out of something.


“Are you going?” asks Cohen looking at Adele wiping off the dirt from her boots.


“I’m fine.  I think that I’ll rest on this rock for a little bit”, offers Adele finding a comfortable stop and leaning back to look at the clouds in the sky.


“I’ll help you start the BBQ Raiden”, insincerely offers Cohen hoping that his offer will be declined.


“It’s all right I can do it”, states Raiden sensing the half-hearted offer.


“Okay, I’m going to the shop to charge my phone.  I think there is probably a hot spot there”, explains Cohen already headed further up the trail to the café.


As Raiden cooks the steaks, he watches Adele relaxing on the rocks.  She seems content to be where she is in that moment.


“Are you doing all right?” Raiden yells over to her after everyone has abandoned the BBQ for more desired things.


“I’m good!” replies Adele pulling out a newly released book from her backpack.


“What are you reading?” asks Raiden moving closer to her.


“I’m re-reading the books of Jane Austen”, explains Adele wondering if he will think of her classical version of chick-lit.


“Oh, I see” observes Raiden having a personal lifelong interest in reading “I personally like Tolstroy or Shakespeare.  But my favorite is Lord of the Rings.”


“I like those writers too, as well as the trilogy”, agrees Adele remembering discussing books many years ago with him.


Gathering his courage in that there are two of them for the moment, “Can I ask you something?  Why did you leave without saying goodbye?”  cautiously asks Raiden wanting an answer that he had been wondering about for years.


“Things were complicated then with my family”, cautiously begins Adele wanting to explain everything to him but unsure of where to start.  “I had lot of obligations to my family right then.”


“But why didn’t you say goodbye to “me”?” emphatically asks Raiden feeling as if she is not telling him the entire truth.


“Well, you see ….I couldn’t …” stumbles Adele trying to find the right words to explain their history.


“What are you doing? Trying to steal my boyfriend from me?” teases Isla but claiming her territory. She runs up behind Raiden and throws her arms around him, locking her hands across his stomach as she stands behind him.


“We were talking about things in the past” offers Adele moving away from Raiden and then towards Eyta not wanting to cause any issues with Isla.


“You better keep an eye on her, she might try to steal your man” taunts Morena grabbing her husband by the hand pretending to need his help to come down the trail to the picnic table.


Ignoring their comments, Adele opens her backpack and puts her book away. Eyta sits down next to her at the picnic table and gives her a reassuring look.


“These steaks are amazing Raiden.  I couldn’t have done a better job myself”, sincerely implies Cohen having never cooked food on a BBQ.


“Thank you, Raiden.  Next time we must invite you and Isla to our house for dinner.  Eyta, you can come as well and bring a friend so we can play games”, suggests Morena ignoring Adele sitting across from her.


“I’ll bring Adele with me” announces Eyta “From what I remember, she plays just about any game really well and she use to let us win most of the time!”


“Monopoly was the best.  We use to play for hours”, offers Isla “Of course, I always won.”


“You always cheated” counters Eyta still feeling sore from the memory of coming in second one too many times.


“No matter how I got there, I still won!” defiantly announces Isla slamming her fork down in mock agitation.


“I think you both maneuvered your own way to win the game” Cohen intervenes as the tension mounts.


“I’m ready to go home” states Morena feeling ignored and gathering her things together “Anyone else ready?”


“I still need to go back to the office tonight, why don’t you ride with your sister back to town”, suggests Raiden to Isla.  “It will take awhile to clean up here.”


“Okay. Adele came on her own, so I guess we will leave you to it”, agrees Isla having reached her capacity for enjoying the outdoors for the entire year at two hours and counting.


“Thank you everyone.  It was good to see you again”, warmly states Adele as she heads toward the café to purchase a bottle of water.


As she returns to the camp site after her purchase, everyone has left except for Raiden.  Adele silently helps him pack up the rest of the equipment and carry it down the hill to the launch pad.  


“Thank you for helping me”, returns Raiden not entirely sure how to begin to ask the difficult questions that he wants honestly answered.


“No problem, it’s the least I can do for being invited to join such a nice day”, explains Adele not knowing exactly what to say.


“About earlier, I didn’t mean to pry.  I thought that I would ask because it seemed rather abrupt the way you left”, explains Raiden wanting to prolong his departure and hoping to open a conversation again.


“I’ve wanted to tell you.  It was such a long time ago, but I didn’t think you would remember”, shares Adele “My dad was facing ….”


At that moment a hologram image of Isla appears on his wrist trying to reach Raiden. Not wanting to be disturbed, he interjects, “This can wait, I’ll call her back later.”


“No, go ahead and take it.  She might have forgotten something.  I need to be on my way anyway.  Thanks again!” offers Adele walking away from him towards her air-pod wishing that things had been different between them.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment