Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Waiting on the Stars - Chapter Two

In the lobby, Adele stands in front of the full wall directory wondering where she would like to go next for the rest of the day, not ready to go home before clearing some thoughts from this afternoon.  An image of the entire city is below her feet. On the screen it displays options of restaurants, entertainment, museums, lodging, etc.  She chooses by providing a short wave over the square block titled “restaurants”.  A series of tear drops appear on the virtual map below her shoes.  Adele decides a caramel macchiato is just what she needs to calm her nerves from the interview earlier in the day.


Descending the circular gliding escalator, Raiden notices Adele by the location directory.  He observes her from across the rotunda.  Her hairstyle has changed and she is older, but she is still the same woman he remembers.  She seems to his memory to appear more confident and accomplished now, but maybe not as adventurous. Pondering why he didn’t make more of an effort to get in contact with her earlier in his life, he considers there were so many excuses both real and imaginary. Fearing that she had found someone else or that maybe he hadn’t accomplished enough to impress her or her family, things had been difficult when they had parted ways nearly twenty years before and it was daunting to think that it was possible to start over again.  Their lives had moved in different directions with goals influenced by their circumstances.


As he leaves the escalator, Raiden sees Adele step away from the city directory and head towards the Market Street level exit. Anxiously he observes her, moving behind a guest who is considering a foreign language class that a hologram is offering with 25 percent discount if they sign up today. The guest looks a little surprised at the man standing to her side.  While watching Adele pause for a moment as her suit changes into auto-temp mode, Raiden recommends to the guest “This is a great product, I’ve tried it.  Great conversational programming with virtual narratives.”


As she heads out the door, Raiden follows Adele at a safe distance where he is the least likely to be noticed.  When Adele enters the Primo CafĂ©, Raiden quickly moves towards the same location as he contemplates what excuse he will give if caught intentionally following her.


Tapping her lower ear to select a playlist, Adele listens to some of her favorite music while waiting in line for a gourmet coffee and Danish from the vending processor. Standing in the queue six feet from her, he glances at the menu at the vending kiosk. He selects a couple of items while the translucent apparatus audibly gives nutritional value and calorie intake for each selection.


A couple of minutes later, Adele takes her coffee and Danish in hand while heading for a booth meant for just two people.  Raiden slowly approaches where she is sitting engrossed in a crossword displayed on the table in front of her with a virtual keyboard to enter answers.  He finally reaches the table, but it doesn’t appear that Adele has noticed.  Raiden clears his throat, “umm … I personally prefer Suduko.”


She looks up at him and stares for a moment.  Adele feels like she can’t breathe as she senses that all the air has escaped the room.  She can’t bring to the surface her voice, as she perceives that she is not sure it has ever existed. Suddenly Adele audibly hears herself release a guttural “Oh ...", feeling her face burn in embarrassment.


“Do you not like Suduko?” joking asks Raiden surprised at her rather loud response but notices how embarrassed she has become offers “The trivia games are not too bad”.


“I’m not very good at Suduko, but I do like trivia” weakly smiles Adele gathering courage continues, “I don’t know if you remember me.  There really wasn’t a chance to ask you during the interview.”


“Yes, I remember you” slowly replies Raiden shifting to his weight to his back leg for more support, unsure what reaction Adele will have while acknowledging this fact.


“Ms. Daring told me that you don’t like bringing up connections and that I shouldn’t attempt to during my interview, but I’m not sure if knowing you twenty years ago would be a current connection or not” impulsively adds Adele wanting to be honest, “I guess it depends on if you still consider me a friend or not.”


Pausing before speaking, Raiden begins “I think that I will always consider you someone who was special to me at one moment in my life even if things have changed now.”


Looking down at her coffee to contemplate what he just said, Adele genuinely responds “I’m glad that you remember me, you were special to me too a long time ago.”


“I wanted to ask during the interview but didn’t feel the appropriate time was available, did you know that I manage the company?” curiously asks Raiden nervously tracing the edge of his cup with his finger.


"I didn’t know.  Liana knows the HR manager from college and told me to apply for the position” Adele explains while anxiously wondering if it will disqualify her for the position that she needs and would like to have.


“Unexpectedly I saw your name on a list of applicants that came across my desk and requested to interview you to see if you were the same person I met many years ago” confesses Raiden taking a sip of his coffee hoping that it will not appear to be a strange thing to do.


“Really?  I feel complemented that you remembered me, it has been such a long time ago” offers Adele feeling more comfortable with him as their conversation continues.


“Do you still travel much?” asks Raiden wondering if she will truly wants to stay in Kell City. 


“I do when I can afford it”, honestly replies Adele wishing the opportunity came more often than the actual reality of traveling.


“Do you still perform in concerts?” inquires Adele having seasonally looked him up from time to time over the years.


“Yes, occasionally as a ringer when someone else is not available or on vacation.  It’s definitely not consistent”, admits Raiden not realizing until that moment how much he missed performing.


“I'll be honest, I use to find articles about you a few years ago.  You were quite good” compliments Adele rather proud over the years of having known someone who was so talented.


“Well, thank you but that is definitely in the past”, blushes Raiden touched and pleased that she would remember even in her absence.  “I looked up your articles on your travel as well, so I guess we’re even.”


Both smile and nervously sip their coffee as memories flood their thoughts.


“Do you have a family?” asks Adele interrupting her thoughts not sure if she is prepared for the answer now that they have met again.


“I tried marriage for a few years quite a long time ago, but it didn’t work out and we each went our separate ways”, sincerely offers Raiden concerned that this might be an issue for her “I don’t have any children.  What about you?”


“I was married for some time until he decided that he no longer wanted to be married to me and would rather be with someone else”, calmly Adele replies long past the pain of that decision “I have a daughter and a son, but they have their own families now. Time does fly and moves on too.”


At that moment, Raiden’s wrist lights up.  As he holds out his palm a rotating hologram image of an attractive modern woman appears.  “I’m sorry I have to take this call. I forgot that I have a dinner appointment. The selection process is determined by a committee but if it works out, I look forward to working with you.”


As Raiden begins to walk away heading towards the door, Adele speaks loudly “It was good seeing you today.  Maybe we can go for coffee again sometime in the future.”


“Sounds great! Looking forward to it!” blithely promises as he turns away. Wistfully Adele's eyes follow him, as Raiden disappears into the crowd along the moving sidewalk outside.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment