Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Nineteen

“Are you ready?” politely calls Lydia Russell in a sing-song voice taking another last minute to look in the mirror to see if there is any hair out of place and then reapplying her lipstick just so “We don’t want to miss the Annual Craft show.  The Home League is counting on us to help with the registration table. I don’t think they can manage without me.”
“I’ll be there in a minute” answers Annie frustrated that she can find her car keys yet again this morning, opening every drawer of her dresser wondering if someone they could have dropped down in some unexpected place “Here they are!”
“Mrs. Croft has volunteered to help us with the registration table.  Since she’s new, it was decided to let her shadow me so that I might have an assistant next year” explains Lydia Russell being surprisingly impressed by the newest member of the corps.  “So, are you ready for our trip to New York?”
“I’ve been looking up as many things as I can and I’ve planned a schedule to make the most of our time while we are there” offers Annie handing Lydia a copy from her purse of what she has organized so far “Of course, it can be adjusted as we want it to be once we are there.”
“Looks like you’ve found some interesting places to go, see, and eat!” excitedly Lydia confirms Annie’s ideas “We just have to work out transportation.  We can rent a car, but parking might be expensive.”
“I thought that we might take the subway.  We can buy a week long pass which is somewhat reasonable.  The train is available throughout the city and most things to see are only a few blocks walk from a station” explains Annie hoping that Lydia will consider her suggestion “Many of my friends find it safe and convenient.  Although, I know it is not something you are used to doing, however, I think it will be a rather exciting adventure to use.”
For a moment, Lydia contemplates this suggestion imagining what life would be like traveling on the train in an urban city “Well, I guess if I don’t like it, I can always rent a car instead.  However, the thought of driving in downtown Manhattan horrifies me!”
“I can hardly wait for our trip!” Muses Annie while pulling out of the driveway and only softly hitting the curb this time, “It will be good to have a change of scenery and see some new things.”
“Mrs. Croft just sent me a text.  She wants to know if we can pick her up.  Evidently her car is in the shop for the next couple of days” explains Lydia Russell checking her mascara in the visor’s mirror and wiping her excess lipstick with a kleenix, “I told her that we were on our way.”
“Hello girls!” warmly greets Mrs. Croft climbing into the backseat of the small SUV tapping each of the on the shoulder in her welcome “I’m looking forward to the show today!”
“Did you make something for the craft show?” asks Annie having missed the plans that were made earlier over the summer while she was gone.
“Yes, I have some quilts I’m selling for world services.  Hopefully, they will bring in enough to be helpful” shares Mrs. Croft “I made different styles for a boy, a girl, and a couple of seasonal ones too.”
“They’re beautiful!  I’ve never seen such intricate and delicate work.  It’s quite impressive” explains Lydia Russell “I think she is the best quilter we’ve had so far for the show.”
“Have you heard from your brother?” shyly asks Annie “Has he said much about his time in Peru?”
“Yes, we’ve heard from him quite a bit.  It seems like Lauren is coming along nicely and healing at a steady pace” remembers Mrs. Crofts from the emails “Lauren is improving daily and it won’t be long until she’ll be returning home. It will be good to have Rick back in town for awhile too.”
“So, how are things going between Rick and Lauren?  A little bird told me that they were enjoying each other’s company” asks Lydia Russell having heard from Ethel Maysom the other day after Sunday School with the other intriguing weekly gossip.
“How does Ethel know about what happened in Peru?” curiously asks Annie trying to control the sound of jealousy in voice while wondering if Rick is writing to others what is happening between them.
“Well, evidently Lauren wrote Mary who told Maud who happens to be Ethel’s neighbor at the Catherin Booth Senior Center” thoughtfully explains Lydia Russell “I’m sure they are quite the couple now.  Lauren has hinted that she thinking seriously of someone.  Who else could it be except Rick?”
“Rick does seem very cheerful in his letters, happier than I’ve heard him in years” considers Mrs. Croft “I’m guessing my brother is finally considering settling down.  Maybe it took an random accident to make that happen.”
Annie bites her upper lip trying to constrain her feelings of disappointment at this news “He’s very kind.  I’m sure he is taking good care of Lauren while she recovers.”
“Oh Annie, I forgot to tell you.  Ben Wick sends his greetings to you.  Rick is sending a few things home since it would be cheaper than taking it on a plane.  Evidently there is a book in there that Ben Wick wants you to have” absentmindedly explains Mrs. Croft “From what Rick told me, you and Ben hit is off with your interest in poetry.  He even has Lauren reading some poetry now.”
“That’s really nice and thoughtful of him ” considers Annie finding a place in the parking lot of the church wishing that Rick had thought enough of her to send her something too.
“Evidently, he’s hoping to come back for a couple of weeks at Christmas and mentioned that he hopes to see you again” explains Mrs. Croft “It sounds like Ben Wick might be interested in you, Annie.”
“Oh, I don’t think so.  We’re good friends but that is really it” explains Annie not wanting there to be any confusion about her feelings with Rick’s sister should things not work out with Lauren “Ben’s a great guy and we get along well.”
“I also forgot to tell you, Rick was so complimentary of the way you handled the emergency with Lauren as well as your entire attitude and enthusiasm this past summer” shares Mrs. Croft “He thinks a lot of you.  You’re a very good friend to him.”
At the kind words, Annie smiles to herself feeling a rush of warmth that Rick noticed her concern even though it wasn’t expected.
After the craft show, Annie drops off Mrs. Croft at her home and then heads back to the Hargrove’s house.  She notices that their car has moved in the driveway.  Walking in the door, she can hear Mary’s voice coming from the dining room.
“Boys, put your toys away!  I have a headache!   It was such a long trip and I want to sleep.  Go find something else to do so I can sleep!” whines Mary pointing her kids towards the backyard carrying a large bottle of aspirin in her hand “Leave me alone for awhile!”
“Mary?” asks Annie helping the boys find some their baseball and bats to keep them occupied for awhile “How was your trip? I didn’t expect you home yet.”
“We took an earlier flight.  I didn’t like waiting at the airport when it seemed just as easy to get on our way” explains Mary feeling only slightly guilty for the expense involved in the exchange of flights “We’re here five hours earlier and it was worth every penny.”
Annie can hear a disgruntled “humph” coming from the other room as footsteps disappear down the hallway.  “How is Lauren doing?  How was Peru?”
“Lauren is fine.  Between Rick and Ben Wick she had plenty of attention to take care of her needs” offers Mary “Charles and I had plenty of time to enjoy all the sites and go all over the country.  I don’t think Lauren missed us at all.”
“Oh” sighs Annie understanding Mary having grown-up with her “How is Captain Wentworth doing?”
“Totally in love” snidely remarks Mary knowing that he often asked about Annie but jealous that her sister should have so many admirers. “I wouldn’t be surprised if there is not a wedding somewhere soon in his future”.
“Really? Are he and Lauren serious?” cautiously asks Annie knowing that her sister likes to indulge the truth to make it more entertaining for those who want to listen to her gossip.
“Yes, of course he is.  He was reading so much poetry while we were there, I thought he was losing it a little” explains Mary noticing that her sister seems to have been inspired by this, changes her aim “He shared all of his favorite poems with Lauren who was absolutely enthralled with him.”
“When is he coming back?” asks Annie hoping it will not be too far into the distant future.
“I’m assuming when Lauren is better and they can come back together.  They’ll probably announce their engagement then, I suspect” imagines Mary watching her sister squirm at this recent news “Maybe she’ll ask you to be a bridesmaid.”
Before she allows this thought to sink in, Annie changes the subject “I’m going to New York with Lydia Russell on Monday.  We’re going to be spending a month there with our cousins.   Ariel Clay is also still there with our sister and dad.”
“That was such a nasty divorce” starts Mary “Fortunately she had a prenuptial agreement or else Willoughby would have taken her for everything she had.”
“Isn’t her income though mostly an inheritance from her dad rather than her own earnings?” asks Annie “Although he’s a lawyer, it doesn’t sound like some of his risky investments have worked out lately”.
“Obviously, since he was managing our father’s money as well” sulks Mary having spent many hours angrily discussing the loss of her rather large inheritance in risky stocks “Strangers have taken over our house that we grew up in! It’s not right!”
“The Crofts are lovely people.  I can’t imagine more kinder people to move into our home” sincerely reflects Annie “I’ve had a great time becoming better acquainted with them.  You’ll like them too, Mary, if you will give them a chance.”
“So, what was your impression of Captain Wentworth?” asks Annie wanting to her more about him.
“Well, if I were not already attached, I definitely think he would have been looking my way, but in that I was already with Charles, he missed his opportunity” eagerly boasts Mary pushing her ego just a little further up  than necessary “He spent a lot of time talking to me about our family and what life was like when we were younger.  He enjoyed my stories so much.  He found us quite amusing. I think he knows about anything significant that happened in our family over the last twenty years.  He was such a great listener.  Seriously, if I had been single then he would be mine now, but of course now he belongs to Lauren”
Overwhelmed by her need to know, Annie pushes herself to ask “Did Captain Wentworth ever talk or ask about me?”
“Ummm…. Let me think” Mary considers whether to tell her sister the truth but chooses not to “I guess once in awhile if I brought your name up.  But then he spent hours asking about me.  He wanted to know everything” watching her sister’s discomfort, Mary conceitedly adds “I’ve never seen someone so interested in me, but of course I’m already taken.”
“It’s nice to hear he asked about me once in awhile” acknowledges Annie wishing that he missed her as much as she was missing him.
Mary analysis of her sister takes a turn for a moment, “I guess he did ask a few more times now that I remember a little more. But he seems to be enraptured by Lauren and I’m sure all of his thoughts are for her now.  They’re flying back together next week, but you will already be in New York by then so I guess you’ll miss seeing them”.
“Yes, I suppose so” reluctantly agrees Annie wondering if absence will help her forget how much he means to her.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment