Search This Blog

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Twenty


"I think that is all of it" sighs Annie reaching for the last bag the yellow taxi driver hands to her while leaves a good tip for the friendly driver who thoughtfully pointed out a few stops to see as well as some concise history of the city of New York on their way from the airport "Hope you have a great day!"
"Thank you ma'am.  Best to you and yours!" he nods his head with a smile and then while getting back into his car contented to find some rather surprisingly pleasant and talkative passengers to share part of his day  "Be careful and have a good time!"
"Come on, Annie.  I believe the entrance to The Camden Residence where your family is staying is just around the corner" states Lydia Russell fixing her hair and adjusting her skirt before taking a few steps forward down the sloped sidewalk on the upper west side "Mostly seniors live at the residence, but your dad was able to make arrangements to stay for a few months with his cousin who is the manager."
"That was extremely thoughtful considering our situation.  It's in a lovely location in the city with access to everything" observes Annie quite pleased and wondering what the next weeks will hold "We'll definitely have to go out for a walk later to investigate the city."
"Oh, I don't know about going out at night.  Maybe Beth or Ariel Clay will go with you instead.  I'm sure there are plenty of things to do and see" suggests Lydia Russell "I can keep your dad company while you are away and having fun.  I'm sure he'll want to hear about everything that has happened in Kellynich while he's been gone."
"Well, it's you're loss ... I think you would really enjoy a walking tour" chides Annie taking in a deep breath of air to consume the various scents surrounding her that comprise a large urban city. "I love the smell of the restaurants and bakeries!"
"I don't know what you are talking about. I smell day old garbage and exhaust" sniffs Lydia Russell whipping her eyes looking up at the rather musty sky "So much noise too!"
"I think it's great!  Everything is alive and breathing here ... so many people, each with their own stories of challenges and accomplishments" dreams Annie lost her thoughts and shifting her scarf to keep her a bit warmer in the fall breeze "Wasn't the park beautiful as we drove in?"
"Yes, I suppose so with the changing leaves.  It was rather scenic in the middle of a city" agrees Lydia Russell checking for any scuffs on her designer boots which she purchased yesterday "Maybe we can go for a walk tomorrow through Central Park."
"That's a deal!" cheerfully agrees Annie double checking the instructions she wrote down on the piece of paper from her pocket "We're suppose to ask for Major Zwalsky who has keys for us."
The women walk through the open doors to find a friendly security guard keeping watch over the entrance.  After explaining who they are, the security guard gives them directions on where to find Major Zwalsky in the chapel for the residents.
The lobby is decorated in fall colors with phrases of friendship on the pillows and a warm homey atmosphere.  The picture frames on the walls display gardens from all over the world. It is a peaceful and inviting place.  The residents are scattered throughout the lobby.  Some men playing a game of chess in the corner with a couple of best friends sharing photos on the loveseat.  A group of four is playing a rather competitive game of canasta near the dining room entrance.  An older gentleman has fallen asleep in the oversized recliner snoring rather loudly with a open history book resting on his chest while one leg hangs down from the foot rest.  Another friend is explaining the most recent beauty tips that she found in her Best Housekeeping Secrets magazine to the preoccupied woman waiting anxiously for her granddaughters to arrive for a visit.  Soft music echoes through the lobby as they listen to someone playing the piano in the chapel providing a beautiful ambiance among the treasure of friends.
 
"Shall we go this way?" asks Lydia Russell leading them towards the lovely arrangement of a well-known hymn from the songbook.
 
"You're playing one of my favorites" warmly states Annie after he has finished his arrangement of the piece "Fewster is probably at the top of the list of all time favorite tunes".
"It's one of my favorites too!" he broadly smiles "Where are you from? My name is Alfred. What's your's?"
"My name is Annie, and this is my good friend, Lydia Russell" explains Annie with a polite nod from Lydia who is admiring some of the intricate stain glass in the chapel "We're going to be staying here for a little while with my dad and sister."
"Oh really?  You'll have to come down and sit with me for awhile. I'll play for you. I use to take requests at a piano bar when I was younger, I know quite a few of the standards but those recent songs on the radio just don't have much melody, you sort of have to make it up as you go along to give it any flavor" smiles Alfred wrinkling his nose with a chuckle "Do you like Broadway tunes? Or, Frank Sinatra?  I suppose you probably know Michael Buble songs which are practically the same thing."
"Yes, I listen to both and I like Broadway songs too!  It would be fun to spend an afternoon with you!" delighted Annie smiles back at him  "It might be kind-of fun to sing along with live music too!"
"Great idea!" agrees Alfred "It's a date!  Just let me know when and I'll meet you here.  I've got to go check on my Isabel.  She wasn't feeling so well this morning.  I'll talk to you later."
"Is Isabel your wife?  I hope she feels better soon!" sincerely offers Annie.
"He,he,he ... she thinks so.  She's bossy enough.  No, Isabel is my shihtzu.  She's fourteen years old and such a sweetie" states Alfred taking a photo out of his pocket "Florence went to be with Jesus about seven years ago.  Here's a picture of her, such a beauty both inside and out,  I miss her every day."
"She's lovely" agrees Annie feeling sorry that he would have lost someone so dear to him "You look very happy together in this photo."
"Yeah, we do" smiles Alfred lost in sweet memories of the past "Wait for the right one.  She was my second chance and made life rather wonderful for both of us.  I'll always love her."
"I'll remember that" states Annie looking him directly in the eyes and finding a small tear there "Thank you for sharing her photo with me."
"Next time we meet, I'll play some of her favorites for you" suggests Alfred heading towards the elevator while leaning on his cane. "It was good to meet  you Annie! Who did you say your family was again?"
"I didn't yet.  My dad is Walter Elliot and my sister's name is Beth" explains Annie while grasping her purse a little tighter feeling that the mention of those names suddenly made the room more tense.
"Ahh ... yes" listens Alfred bunching up his lips and looking towards the ground not sure how to blend the impression of her family versus this lovely lady he just met "Well,  I'll see you later"
"Bye!  Looking forward to hearing you play again!" yells back Annie as the elevator doors close feeling as if she just made her first friend in New York.
"I think Major Zwalsky just arrived" notices Lydia Russell walking to meet the administrator and stretching out her hand to greet her "My name is Lydia Russell and we have made arrangements to stay here with the Elliott family."
"Oh yes.  Commissioner Darylmple made me aware of your visit.  I've prepared a guest room for both of you.  The other members of your family are staying on the guest rooms two floors above you" curtly explains Major Zwalsky.
However a few minutes later having  met with an abundance of enthusiastic compliments from Annie about how impressed she is with the residence,  Major Zwalsky kindly returns "Thank you so much!  We do our best to make everyone comfortable here.  If there is anything you need, please let me know and I'll try to find a solution for you.  Enjoy your stay!"
"I already love it here!" exclaims Annie in the elevator excitedly looking forward to the new adventures that lay ahead of her.
"Mmmm that's interesting.  We've only been here twenty minutes" snidely remarks Lydia Russell taking off her scarf and coat before the doors open "It's so hot in this building.  I wonder if they always keep it this warm?"
"Probably, it helps the residents from catching cold or feeling uncomfortable" thoughtfully answers Annie "I get cold all the time and my circulation issues haven't been around for as long as some of the others here.  I can't imagine what I'll be like when I'm older .  I'll probably have to wear three coats inside to keep warm in the winter!"
"Let's see.  Major Zwalsky said your dad was in room 1463 which looks like it is just down the hallway" instructs Lydia Russell grabbing her handbag having left the rest of her luggage behind the check-in desk down in the lobby for someone else to take to where she is staying at a later time.
"Okay" states Annie picking up a bag and throwing it over her shoulder along with her purse and then on the other shoulder a book bag  and a smaller bag of tourist items she bought at the airport while she drags her large suitcase down the hallway. 
As Annie passes an adjoining hallway, she sees the back of a figure headed in the opposite direction who seems vaguely familiar but can't place where she might know him from at the moment. "I'll have to think about that" she tells herself "I think that I should know him.  Maybe I'll remember who it is later."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment