Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2016

Camp Mansfield - Chapter Four


"Faith!  Wait up for me!" breathless shouts Ted running after her golf cart that has just left the administration office and heading towards the dining room for some breakfast with the other staff members.
Faith pounds on the breaks and because of the restless gravel in the parking lot slides to a prolonged halt.  "I didn't see you!" laughs Faith finding it rather humorous that the once athletic Ted is not quite so in shape as he use to be when they were teens. 
As Ted starts to climb into the cart, she gently steps on the gas moving the cart slightly forward.  Ted looks at her and laughs while making a second attempt to step in.  Again, she teasingly pushes on the gas and Ted hops a few inches on one foot with the other resting in the cart.  He softly pushes her shoulder with his free hand as he did often when they were younger and climbs in and with a happy smile "You're still ornery as always."
"How are you doing this morning?" asks Faith wondering how he is managing with an earlier schedule than his typical office routine. 
With an uncontrollable yawn, "I'm awake.  But I'll probably need a couple of coffee cups to keep me this in this state" admiring the beautiful horizon of orange, gold, and pink in front of him  "It's been a long time since I've been up before sunrise and managed to be ready for the day. However I would say this sunrise is worth it!"
"Mornings are one of my favorite things about living here" admits Faith "In the morning, I often sit by the cross over the lake during my devotions.  The colors of the sunrise reflect on the water and it's one of the most peaceful places in camp."
"Sounds like it would be nice" agrees Ted "Sometimes I find myself too busy but can only grab a few minutes alone to meditate in my office.  I think at camp you would be daily reminded of God's presence in everything that surrounds you."
"Yes, sometimes it feels that way even on the days that are hectic" concurs Faith taking a deep breath in of the sweet aroma of the peach and violet chrysanthemums outlining the concrete golf cart trail to the dining hall.
As they head down the road, Ted comfortably rests his arm behind Faith.  "Why did it take you so long to visit again?"
Looking momentarily concerned, Ted leans forward and shifts in his chair and vaguely replies "I've just been very busy".
"Oh.  I guess it is rather far for you to come now that you work at territorial headquarters" puzzled replies Faith not sure what caused Ted's sudden change in mood.  "It's been a little over five years since you spent more than a day here.  At least you will have time to catch up with your family."
"Yes, I suppose so" signs Ted appearing lost in his thoughts "Have you been busy too?  Whatever happen to Russell Worth?  Last time I was here he seemed rather interested in you."
"You mean Rush?  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  He's crazy.  Anyway, he's dating Mariah and has been for awhile.  Didn't you know?" shocked inquires Faith dubious that Ted would not know the romantic adventures of his younger sister.
"Really? I don't talk to Mariah much other than making sure she is actually attending her college classes.  It will be amazing if she ever finishes" confesses Ted " I think she's looking towards an M.R.S. degree rather than one she can actually use for an occupation.  I had no idea she was dating Rush."
"They're practically engaged.  Although I think Mariah might want to defer a wedding for awhile.  She's hoping that she will be discovered soon and  her singing career will take off" replies Faith mimicking what she has been repeatedly told by Mrs. Bartram who has high but delusional dreams of her daughters attempts to be famous.
"Mariah sing?  She's tone deaf!" rebukes Ted shaking his head "I don't ever remember her being able to stay in the same key for an entire song."
In hearing his statement, Faith blushes but doesn't respond not entirely sure how her agreement with his statement would be taken by the rest of the family.
"She tells everyone that she was named after Mariah Carey but truly that is where the similarity ends.  Hasn't dad talked any sense into her yet?" pleadingly requests Ted "What about you?"
"Oh no.  I'm not going anywhere near that one" wisely remarks Faith "Eventually she'll figure out that she does many other things well and it would be better for her to concentrate on them".
Leading back into his seat, Ted rolls his eyes and sighs. "It's hopeless.  I should have never given her that Chrissie Candie mighty mic when she was ten, she's been in her deranged state since then".
"It's not that bad" counters Faith knowing that she might be stretching the truth just a little "It will all work out for what it is meant to be".
"So Rush and you didn't get together?" slowing inquires Ted relieved that the answer might be what he is hoping for.
"No, not at all.  I'm not his type.  I was never really interested in Rush.  He was nice to me but that was it" remembers Faith suddenly understanding that Ted might have been a little jealous of Rush then but not entirely sure.
"You were too good for him, but I didn't think you could see it" bluntly states Ted more confident to share his opinion now that time has passed "You seemed to have your act together while Rush was still trying to figure out which end was up."
'You're probably right" reflects Faith not sure what else to say and this new discovery of possible former interest on Ted's part.
"He's definitely a lot more like Mariah" considers Ted "They're both very ambitious but rather directionless."
Widening her eyes, Faith doesn't know how to respond to a remark about Ted's potential brother-in-law and sister. "Oh" is all she can managed.
"To be honest, he's one of the reasons why I didn't come back for awhile.  Since we were such good friends, I decided to give you some space to see if things would work out with him" shares Ted not quite telling the truth that he had already believed that Faith had made a choice and it wasn't him.
"No, that would have never worked out.  I never saw him in that way in my life" truthfully shares Faith trying to figure out how to say the next statement without revealing too much  "I think I was looking elsewhere but the man I was looking at seems to be focused on someone else."
"That was a stupid guy" sharply remarks Ted and then to encourage her "Any guy that wouldn't look at you first is an idiot."
"Yeah, well that didn't happen" softly murmurs Faith "It's okay though. I don't think that I was ready for any kind of permanent relationship at that time."
"Probably not. I know that I wasn't." considers Ted looking over to her but turning away as soon as she moves her head to look at him  "But I can't help but sometimes wish things had worked out differently a few years ago."
"Here we are!" exclaims Faith relieved to change the conversation but wishing that she had been able to share more "The door is just on the other side.  Everything is still buffet style for most meals as it has been for years."
Walking up the split wood plated porch, Ted holds the door open for Faith as she ducks under his arm and moves ahead of him through the glass door entry.  Ted gently leaning towards her, smells her fresh blossom shampoo triggering memories of pushing her on a tire swing by the soccer field when they were in high school. Ted smiles to himself and cheerfully follows behind Faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment