Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Camp Mansfield - Chapter Three


Looking at the huge pile of shirts laying across her bed, Faith closes her eyes in frustration.  Nothing seems to look right.  Either she’s worn the shirt too much, it is too tight from when she wore it a couple of months ago, or too big from last year, or not the right color or in too busy of a pattern, too boring or too outrageous .... nothing .... not-one-single-top seems right.  She hasn’t even started to look at her shoes yet.
Faith stands in front of the mirror one more time and smirks. “This isn’t it” she thinks to herself “I should have gone shopping last weekend and then I would have had at least something to wear but I didn’t know he was coming. At least I have one pair of jeans that are fairly new that I can wear.”
Glancing at her shoe rack, Faith passes over the tennis shoes, pauses at the Mary Janes, but then aims her vision towards the attractive red strappy stilettos that she hasn’t worn in six months since her last birthday. “I’d like to wear these but I will be sitting on every bench that we pass in desperate need for a five minute break”.  She moves her gaze over to a pair of comfortable chocolate brown wedge shoes.  “This might be a only a little more dressed up than flats but at least I won’t fall in them”.
“Now to accomplish something with my hair” which looks like it might actually be in a contest for a fur ball of frizz, Faith plugs in her straightener with not much hope of success. 
“It doesn’t matter what I look like, he’ll just enjoy being with me again” Faith tries to unconvincingly comfort herself feeling as if her attire is completely inadequate for the impression that she would like to make.  “Maybe I should wear a sundress, but it is so cold today. Every other day for the past few months has felt like summer, but unfortunately not today. Jeans will have to do.”
Searching through the magazines under her night stand for a moment of inspiration, Faith signs in resignation “For once, I wish I had a least an interest in fashion so I would know what to wear and how to look good, but I haven’t got a clue.”
A bell echoes through her tiny cottage, “he’s here” whispers Faith to herself taking one last look into the mirror and realizing that she forgot to put on her makeup in her indecisiveness in choosing what to wear that day.  “Ugh, why can’t I get myself together?”  She grabs the nearest baseball cap on the shelf by the door and pulls it down over her face as she opens the door to meet Ted.
On seeing Faith with a baseball cap on and looking towards the ground so that he cannot see her face, Ted asks “Are you okay?”
“Yeah, I just forgot something” muffles Faith keeping her face towards the ground desperate for him not to catch a clear view “Come on in, I’ll be back in a few minutes”.
Wondering what she is hiding from him, Ted bends down to speak to her under lifting up the bill of the baseball cap, “Do you need any help?”
Faith starts to laugh because her disguise is not working, “No, I just forgot to put on my makeup.  Give me a few minutes and I’ll look much better.”
“You look fine to me with or without the makeup” sincerely remarks Ted remembering plenty of times swimming together in the camp pool enjoying each other’s company.  He laughs to himself remembering her absentmindedness and finding it pleasantly endearing.
While Faith disappears into the other room, Ted finds a comfortable spot on the outdated floral sofa. On the walls are framed photos that Faith has taken over the years of the campground.  They are artistic and good enough to be something that might be purchased in a gallery.  Unknown to Faith, a few years ago he had a few of the pictures that she sent to him blown up and placed in expensive wooden frames around his home. The photos are often a centerpiece of conversation when visitors have come to his own home and he has bragged about the skill of his best friend who is a photographer.
Hearing the shuffle in the front room, Sampson rushes through the dog door and pounces on Ted’s lap spreading out comfortably head to toe.  “So, you’re Sampson” the happy dog prods Ted’s hand with his nose prompting him to be petted. “Good boy” scratching him behind the ears as his tail furiously wags against the cushions of the sofa.
“Sampson get down!” demands Faith shocked and embarrassed that her dog has commanded attention so quickly.
“He’s okay. I wish that I had a dog again. It’s been awhile because of traveling so much.  He’s very friendly” chides Ted as Sampson moves closer to snuggle into him.
“Sampson behave!” commands Faith gently taking him by the collar and moving him to the floor.  In response Sampson plops down and pouts in the corner with his face nesting between his paws. 
Following behind Faith with a smile, Ted walks over and pats Sampson on the head “It’s okay buddy, maybe she’ll let me stay longer next time”. Faith turns her head on hearing this comment and Ted winks at her.  Blushing Faith replies “Well, we’ll see.”
“I like your car” replies Faith attaching the seat belt into its lock and leaning back into the comfortable seat.
“It’s not mine, but a floater from divisional headquarters for my time as a consultant in the division this month” remarks Ted genuinely grateful for the transportation that was provided “I agree, it’s very nice.  I hope you don’t mind but I need to check on the publicity booth at the fair while we are there.”
“No problem, I’m just glad that I’m able to go with you today.  It’s a nice change from the routine” replies Faith very content with her life at this moment. 
While driving the hour into town for the state fair, Ted finds Faith as easy to talk to as she has always been.  “Do you remember when we climbed the tree by the craft hut and you couldn’t get back down?”
“Yes, I was competing with you on who could go the highest, but then once I was up there realized that it was way too far from the ground” exclaims Faith feeling breathless at the recollection “You were kind enough to come up and help me back down.  I think that I would have possibly never made it down without your help! I was so scared.  I don’t know why it didn’t enter my brain that I might have to come down after climbing up, I just wanted to win.”
“Do you remember getting stung by all the bees?” asks Faith “It was awful.  I felt so sorry for you!”
“Yeah, you put calamine lotion all over me and then you had it in your hair but I didn’t tell you” remarks Ted feeling slightly guilty “I liked the pink streaks. I was disappointed when the cook, Mrs. Norris, told you in the dining room while you were doing announcements.  I probably would have waited much longer.” 
Joking with him, Faith punches Ted gently in the arm.  “At least I didn’t wear my shorts backwards to chapel!”
“Ugh, why did you have to bring that up? I was harassed about that for days” blushes Ted at the memory.
“What were you doing anyway?” chides Faith wondering how that would even happen.
“We were playing King of the Hill on the bunkbeds and running late because of goofing around. Our counselor came in looking for the group of us and said we had to leave right then for chapel or we would miss our free time later that day.  I just grabbed the nearest pair of shorts and put them on without looking.  They felt very uncomfortable walking but I didn’t bother to look down to see what the problem might be, unfortunately everyone else did.  And you seemed to be the very first one” shaking his head “Sometimes …”
“I thought it was hysterical!” laughs Faith “I thought that you might possibly have done it on purpose.”
“Remember when you tried to bleach your hair and it turned orange?” laughs Ted still finding it humorous after all these years.
“Oh yeah, no one told me I couldn’t go swimming after a perm.  It stayed like that for weeks” shaking her head, Faith brushes her hair with her hand at the memory. “I think that I wore a baseball cap most of the summer.”
While at the park their conversation of old times continues as it starts to rain.  Afraid that Faith might catch a chill, he puts his jacket around her shoulders and keeps his arm around her so that jacket will not slip. Faith relaxes in his company and finds the chatter refreshing like a new day is beginning.
“Do you want some funnel cake?” asks Ted as the sweet vanilla and caramel aroma fills the area by the food stand.
“Most definitely!” replies Faith walking next to him as he leads the way “I think it is my favorite amusement park item.”
“Mine too” agrees Ted paying the cashier and balancing the two plates over to a covered picnic table with a purple striped umbrella advertising a popular soda.
“Faith, if you could choose to do anything that you wanted to do, what would it be?” asks Ted wondering how Faith might fit into his life.
“Good question.  I like to do a lot of things, but I would want whatever I chose to do to be something that would make me happy and content” vaguely answers Faith taking a powdered sugar bite of her funnel cake.
“Do you want to stay at camp the rest of your life or would you be open to doing something else?” sincerely inquires Ted wanting to find out exactly what Faith’s goals are.
“Well, right now it seems that camp is the place I’m meant to be. If another door should open up that I feel God is leading me to, I’ll listen to Him” considers Faith wondering why Ted is asking her these questions. “What about you?  Do you like what you are doing?”
“Yes for now, but I can’t help but feel there might be something more meaningful that I could do.  I like what I’m doing now and I believe that I’m helping people where I am, but I have a nagging feeling that I might find more fulfillment doing something else” confidentially shares Ted feeling as if Faith is one of the few people who truly understand him.
“I think you will do well at whatever you choose to do” confidently remarks Faith believing that Ted is probably the most well-rounded person that she knows. “You have so many skills and talents, but you have a great personality too that is kind and considerate of others.”
“Faith, you always seem to have the right words to say that make me feel good about myself” bluntly states Ted looking directly at her “I feel the same way about you too.”
Returning his gaze, Faith can feel herself unintentionally blush. “Thank you” is all she can manage to say.
“At one point many years ago I wanted to be a pastor and corps officer.  My parents highly recommended that I go to college and have a career first which I’ve been doing the last ten years. I’m glad they encouraged me to get my education because it is necessary whether I am in business or clergy.  I feel that I can serve God wholeheartedly in either occupation” Waiting for confirmation that Faith is listening, Ted courageously continues “But recently, the thought of officer-ship seems to be coming up again and I find myself asking for some direction.  I’m not ready to go to training right now by any means, but I’m probably more open to it now that I have been for a long time.”
Not surprised, Faith nods her head and contemplates what Ted is quietly sharing with her.
“Faith, have you ever considered being an officer?  What do you think of it?” lightly prods Ted not entirely sure what her response will be.
“I think it is a place that is meant for those who feel called to do it.  I think if someone is going to be an officer, they need to prepare themselves as much for the life of service that is ahead of them as they can including education, volunteering, a lifestyle of giving, and learning how to communicate well with others” contemplates Faith “It really isn’t meant for everyone, but I think that God does call people into many different areas of service and surrender to Him whether it is officer-ship, a church leader, or a member of the community that is a representative of Him.”
“But what about you, would you consider being an officer?” asking a more direct question, Ted intensifies his tone.
“Yes, I think so. But I would need God to tell me in no uncertain terms that this is what He wants me to do” truthfully says Faith “I don’t think God usually speaks in ultimatums though.  He does like us to take a step in faith, just like my name.”
“Knowing when and how to take the step sometimes is the most difficult thing to know though” remarks Ted pondering if Faith would ever be an officer with him.
At that moment Ted’s phone announces that a text has just been received, Ted glances at it.  “It looks like my mother is impatient for me to get back to take her to dinner she always has the worst timing.  Are you ready?”
“Yes, thanks for letting me borrow your jacket” handing it back to him, Faith continues “It’s been a lovely day and I’ve enjoyed talking with you quite a lot and its been fun catching up on old times!”
“I’ve enjoyed the day with you too.  We’ll definitely have to go out again, but you get to choose where you want to go next time and I won’t have to work at all” informs Ted hoping that the next time will only be a few hours and not days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment