Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Three


“Jonathan Markus Musgrove, come right back here this minute!” insistently screams Mary angrily scowling at the empty staircase with her hands adamantly placed firmly on her hips and animatedly shaking her head in rhythm with her words.  “You cannot take that squirrel upstairs!  It belongs outside and it is not your friend!”

On hearing these words as she enters, Annie begins to silently giggle to herself.  There is usually an adventure of some sort at the Musgrove household.  “Where is Andrew?” asks Annie looking around for the smallest but most mischievous member of the family.

“Last I saw him, he was chasing a wild rabbit around the backyard with a bucket of water” offers Charles yawning while searching through his Ipad for the latest technology news “He’ll be back some time, not to worry.”

Frustrated with the undesirable outcome, Mary stomps into the room making everyone aware of her presence. “uhhh … I put up with so much.  I’m so tired.  I don’t need this nonsense” looking towards her uninterested husband in a voice of unquestionable command “You need to tell your children to behave!”

“Have of them belong to you, dear” slyly looking up to her from his recliner, Charles adds “honestly, their ingenuity is from me, but their cunning ability outwit you comes from your side of the family.”

In return Mary glares at him for a moment, but unable to respond shakes her head and rolls her eyes in defense because she knows his words are true. “It’s been such a long day.  I shouldn’t have to put up with all this Charles!  I work so hard at home and all you do is sit at a desk all day.  You should take care of the boys when you get home so I can have a break!”

Appearing to be sensitive to her wishes, Charles contemplates this less than ideal offer for a moment and determines in order to save the happiness that remains in the house the room is better left silent rather than to comment.

Observing the mood of the conversationalists, Annie opens up her favorite book hiding a smile behind the pages and reclines on the sofa into a more comfortable spot.

“I’m looking so forward to the rehearsal dinner tonight!  It’s going to be so much fun!  I haven’t been to one in such a long time.  It was so nice of them to invite me along.  Charles is standing up with Darcy.  They were on service corps together as teenagers.  They’ve been friends for years.  Such an opportunity to be friends with someone as well-connected as Darcy doesn’t happen very often” Mary adds with a note of superiority  “I would understand it if he chose to be friends with me since I have so many friends among his acquaintances, but Charles is quite a surprise to discover that Darcy would like him so much.”

Hearing the tone of Mary’s voice, Annie glances over to Charles to see if he noticed the sting within Mary’s words. She sees him shrug his shoulders and ignore her as unfortunately her soliloquy continues.  “I’ve always been ahead of Charles as far as my social status.  As Elliots our family has been around for generations in the Army. Everyone recognizes our name.  Who wouldn’t want to make a connection with us?  Musgrove, I must admit, is a fairly new name in Army circles.  Darcy would easily recognize our name as a counterpoint to his own, rather than Charles’ family”.

Uncharacteristically Annie counters Mary’s opinion in order to support Charles “Everyone has a place with me.  It doesn’t matter where they come from or how long I’ve known them.  I enjoy people for who they are not because of some name that is attached to them.  Every person has something to give to life and I like to discover and share whatever that is with them.”

Hearing this reprimand, Mary tightens her lips and raises her chin slightly higher than normal, sets her shoulders and turns to walk defiantly towards the kitchen but remembers something, “Oh, I forgot to tell you.  Rick Wentworth will be there.  I’m sure you will remember him. I ran into him today at the grocery store.  He is standing up with Darcy as well and is considering staying in the area during his furlough time from being stationed overseas.”

Hearing the name that she has adored for so long yet for years, unable to speak his name out loud, Annie wide-eyed stares at her younger sister reaching for breath that remains elusive as her heart pounds against her chest.  Anxiously Annie asks, “Whhhhaat did he say? Did he ask about anyone?”

“I don’t think so.  He said how wonderful I looked and how glad he was to see me again.  I can’t really remember what else he talked about.  Let’s see, it was something about how much he likes the area and has good memories of being here.  He said he made a lot of friends during the time he spent here” Mary takes a moment to check herself out in the mirror by the door  and smack her lips “He’s quite handsome now.  He was just a young teen really when he left.  I wouldn’t mind looking him every day.”

Glancing over at her, Charles sighs and grabs the remote for the TV to watch his favorite show that he has DVRd from the previous evening.

“Did he ask about me?” cautiously asks Annie not wanting her sister to remember the reasons for the less than happy terms on when he last departed.

“I don’t think so.  He seemed quite taken with the memories of me.  He didn’t forget about me” vainly expressing her impressions, Mary insensitively continues “Of course I’m someone who is hard to forget.  You are a bit of a wallflower.  I wonder if he even remembers who you are.  Most people don’t, you know.”

A note of sadness pervades Annie’s heart, “He was always kind to me.  I couldn’t forget him.”

“Well, maybe you’ll have a chance to help him remember who you are at the rehearsal dinner tonight if you can manage to be attractive enough to get him away from all the other women in the room who will definitely be seeking his attention” suggests Mary brushing a hand through her hair still gazing into the mirror “Maybe you should wear that purple dress you bought last year for Emma’s wedding. It looked nice on you.  It at least brings out the color of your eyes, but you’ll need to do something with your hair.”

“Yes, that is a pretty dress.  I liked the way it fits on me. Hopefully it won’t be too snug, it’s been awhile since I tried it on” adds Annie thinking of how to put her hair up to make it look more attractive than the pony tail she normally keeps it in because of the intense heat during the summer.  Holding her hair up in a loose French roll “What do you think of something like this?”

“Hmmm … let me think about it.  It might work” offers Mary “Fortunately I have an appointment with the salon in about an hour to get my hair done.  So, I guess that I’ll see you later. Keep an eye on the boys for me will you?”

Mary doesn’t wait for Annie to respond expecting to be available as she always is.  Walking out the door, Mary glances down at her phone.  “Uhhh.  Janelle can’t babysit tonight!  Well, this isn’t going to work. I have to go to the rehearsal dinner.  My husband is a groomsman.  It is expected that I will be there.  Annie, why don’t you stay here with the boys?  No one is really expecting you.  I’m not even sure you are really invited.  I’m sure they were only trying to be polite.  You’re only helping with floral arrangements and don’t have a significant role in the wedding.  They won’t miss you, but it will be obvious if I’m not there.  Who is a groomsman without bringing his wife along to make a complete couple?  You’re just by yourself anyway and will be like a third wheel there.”

“I was invited.  Liz asked me personal” defends Annie not appreciating being forces to babysit by using a guilt trip “But if the only choice is to leave the boys home alone because you can’t find anyone else to watch them, I don’t mind taking care of the boys.  We always have a good time together.  But I would appreciate you looking for a substitute rather than me, so I can go to the rehearsal dinner too. They are my friends as well”.

“Oh all right. But you do such a better job than a neighborhood teen who spends their entire time texting on their phones and I end up having to pay for that” reluctantly acknowledges Mary “It’s very difficult to find good help, and you are one of the best who love my children as your own even though  you’ve never been a mother.”

“Well, although it hasn’t happened yet, I hope to be a mother one day and time with your children give me plenty of practice” snaps Annie offended by her sister’s commentary.

“Yes, it’s always okay to dream.  You’re not getting any younger, but it still may happen” snidely remarks Mary remembering that she was not her husband’s first choice who instead had actually chosen Annie who gently refused him but is often reminded by her husband “Your prince may come one day. At least in the meantime, you have plenty of opportunity with my children to keep you company. Your nephews look up to you and love you so much”.

Not feeling like wanting to spend any more time with her sister or with someone who has already forgotten her, Annie offers with a sigh “I’ll stay.  Don’t worry about calling anyone.  I will take care of them.”

“Oh, you are such a lifesaver and a dear!  I don’t know what I would do without you!  Most are not as lucky as I am to have a sister like you!” exclaims Mary thrilled to be going to the party without her sister hoping to be the center of attention instead. “You don’t know what this means to me!  I get out so little because of the boys.  You don’t mind.  You’re single and can go out as much as you want. This is a chance of a lifetime for me!”

Feeling rather at a loss, Annie faintly smiles feeling like she has just surrendered to the Queen of Hearts of Alice in Wonderland “Say ‘hello’ to anyone who asks for me”.

“Fine, I’ll do that for you” blandly remarks Mary applying another layer of lipstick before heading towards the door “I’ve got tons of things to do before tonight.  I may go buy a new dress after going to the salon.  I’ll see you later Annie.  Thanks so much for watching the kids.  Charles, come on, you can go to the Good Deals to see what new tech toys they have in stock while you wait for me”.

The front door shuts behind them and the room is silent for a moment. Annie picks up the trucks and comics scattered about the room placing them in a large wicker basket for that purpose.  Her heart deeply aches at yet another lost moment. She comforts herself, “He probably wouldn’t recognize me, let alone remember me anyway.  If he wanted to get in contact with me again, he would have a long time ago.  He knows where I live, I haven’t moved. I’ll never forget him though.”

After making sure the boys are all right, Annie leans back into the recliner and drifts into the cavern of her lost memories …

“How can you even consider marrying him?” Lydia Russell questions her in disgust “You’re both still children.  What do you know about marriage?  What do you even know about love?  This is just a crush and it will pass as soon as you meet someone else more interesting than him.”

“I don’t think so.  I’ve never felt this way about anyone before” honestly states Annie standing firm in her resolve to let her love for Rick be known.

“Yes, I sure you think that you do, but it will pass.  Of course you never felt like this before, and there will be many times you will make the same statement when you experience something new with other men in the future” excuses Lydia Russell trying to offer some advice with the intention of being heeded.

“No, I don’t think so.  He loves me and I love him too.  We may be young, but we’re good for each other” defends Annie wanting to share all the love she feels inside for him with everyone that is important to her.

“You’re just a girl still.  You’re not even quite a woman yet.  Legally you’re an adult, but you are just starting out in life.  You haven’t had to be pay your own bills yet, or learn how not to be lonely living on your own, you need to finish your education if you want a real satisfying career.  It isn’t time for you to be married or even thinking about it” rationalizes Lydia Russell placing an arm around Annie’s shoulders “You have so many opportunities in front of you, being married will only make you feel trapped later.”

“But he loves me.  He can take care of me.  I’ll take care of him too! He makes me happy being with him.  I don’t want to be with anyone else ever!” snaps Annie feeling as if she is not being heard.

“You’re mother asked me to take care of you before she was promoted to glory. I’m here for you. She wouldn’t have chosen me to take care of you if she didn’t think that I knew what was best for you.  Your mother wouldn’t have wanted to see you giving up your future so quickly just because you met a boy and thought you were in love with him” informs Lydia Russell taking Annie’s long hair into her hands as her mother use to do when she had something important to say to her.

“My mother would have wanted what was best for me.  Rick loves me and understands me.  I’m not ever going to meet someone like him.  I’ve met him now not later.  We are meant to be together” defends Annie with the peaceful assurance she feels inside.

“That’s what all girls say when they fall in love for the first time.  There will be many young men in your future.  You need to finish your degree.  You don’t even have a proper engagement ring.  He gave you a pearl because he can’t afford a small diamond.  You will be living at a level that you are not accustomed to”.

“I don’t mind living simply.  I never have.  I’ve always wanted to be a missionary and have never been influenced or have the desire for too much excess” sincerely defends Annie knowing that what she says is the truth “I don’t need things to make me happy with him.  We will have each other for that.”

“Well, see.  When you get older, you’ll realize how much things can substitute for loneliness” states Lydia Russell who finds shopping at the mall an escape from her personal choices of solitude “How does he plan to support you?”

“We’re going to be officers.  We’ll be fine” frankly states Annie “We don’t need a lot of things.  But we do need each other.”

“Don’t you think that if you both finished your education first, you would make better officers” begins Lydia Russell from a new angle of argument “You’ll be more informed and can offer more experience and wisdom to your future congregation.  Education never hurts, only enhances.”

“You have a point, but there is no reason we can’t be married and finish our schooling while we are officers” considers Annie “Continuing education is necessary and a requirement.”

“It will be so much more difficult after you are married and if some ‘surprises’ show up along the way.  Children are blessings, but you won’t have time to study nor the energy to do it either” explains Lydia Russell from experience.

“Do you just not like Rick?” curiously asks Annie wondering why her mentor is giving her such a difficult time about their engagement.

“He’s fine.  But he’s not for you.  He’s not anywhere near an ‘Elliot’.  He doesn’t have your status or upbringing.  You have so many opportunities because of your mother’s wealth and inheritance that she left to you” Lydia continues noticing that Annie appears to be finally listening for the moment “How do you know that he isn’t just after your money?  Will he wait for you or is he demanding to be with you now?”

“He wants to be with me now because he loves me” argues Annie crossing her arms in front of her.

“Have you told him about your inheritance?  He’s getting a lot by being with you, but what are you getting from him?  Does he have a decent job right now to take care of you?  How will he support you?” asks Lydia knowing already the insufficient answers.

“He’s a corps helper so he can learn how to be an officer before training.  He doesn’t make much, but we could live on it.  I have a job too as the receptionists at the Boys and Girls club.  We’ll be all right” offers Annie “He doesn’t care anything about my money.”

“Then why can’t he wait?  Why doesn’t he encourage you to finish school first?  He isn’t thinking of you and what is best for you.  He wants to get married to have someone cook and do his laundry for him since his mother is no longer there to do it” perceptively offers Lydia knowing Annie since she was a child  “You need more than that, trust me. I know you quite well. If he loves you, he will wait. If he doesn’t want to wait, you’re better off without him.  If you run with him now, he’ll abandon you in the difficult times too”.

“He’s not like your ex.  He loves me, I know he does” states Annie feeling tears well up in her eyes “He’s perfect for me.  I’m never going to find anyone that loves me as much or that I love so deeply!”

“Maybe I should have a talk with his family.  They can support your ideas about marriage and perhaps help me to come to a conclusive opinion that will be best for you too” suggests Lydia with the hopes of also discouraging his family from such a hasty marriage.

“I think that would be great then you would know how excited his family is too about us being together” agrees Annie “Rick will never let me go, he loves me too much.  We’re going to be married. You’ll see.”

“Aunt Annie!  Aunt Annie” yells Jonny while shaking her arm “Andrew just fell off the top bunk.  He was pretending to be superman!”

“I’m coming!” jumps Annie up from her restless memories “Is he okay?”

“Yeah I think so.  But he’s got a bump on his forehead that is all red” explains Jonny “He flew really well though.  He nearly hit the dresser across the room!  I wish that I could fly like that! Have you ever wanted to fly away Aunt Annie? I’d bet you’d be a good flyer too!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment