Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Five

“Hurry up!  The bridal party is headed to the reception and we’re going to be late!” pleads Lauren trying to encourage her sister to reapply her makeup more quickly so they won’t miss a moment of the celebration.
“I think Liz looked so beautiful!  I want to look as pretty as she did on my wedding day … her eyes were so bright and I loved the updo and wisps in her hair” lifting up her hair in an imaginary do looking side to side at each angle while pursing her lips in the large decorative mirror in the public bathroom, Hailey continues “Lauren, you’ll need to help me learn how to do that.  We can practice on each other.”
“Ok, but not now.  I want to make sure that we are able to sit in a good spot so Captain Wentworth to has a clear view of us” self-consciously Lauren explains “I want him to notice how ‘womanly’ I look today and not to think of me as someone so much younger than him but more of his equal. Don’t you think in this dress I look at least five years older than I am?”
“I guess so, I never really noticed.  You always look the same to me” bluntly states Hailey “Why do you need to look older anyway?  He already knows how old you really are.  If he really likes you, it shouldn’t make a difference anyway.”
“Yeah, I know but don’t you think I look more mature today?” insists Lauren mocking a glamour shot into the mirror as if it is a camera.
“Whatever … you think what you want” replies Hailey tired of the discussion and wanted to get back to the reception to see what Hayden is doing with all the other women dressed-to-the-nines at the reception. “Let’s go or we are going to miss the whole thing!”
After they leave, Annie comes out of the stall having overheard their conversation.  She looks at her hair which is plainly set and the lack of lipstick as it has worn off earlier in the day.  She looks tired from not having slept the night before thinking of the past and wondering if a future with Rick has been lost forever because of a bad choice but with good intentions that she made years ago.
In her reflection, Annie takes her hand and touches the corners of her eyes slighting raising her brow. “It’s no use.  I will never be twenty again” she whispers quietly to herself in the empty room. She finishes up drying her hands and applies some fresh lipstick to enhance her appearance.  She straightens out her dress while tucking her tummy in but confesses “I can’t breathe like this all evening. Fifteen years has left its mark, I might as well embrace it.”
“Oh there you are!  We were looking for you!” exclaims Jennings “I saved a seat for you next to me.  I’ll meet you back there in a few minutes.  You definitely don’t want to miss the bouquet toss.  However, I need to let you know, I’m planning on catching this one” nudging her in the ribs “Just between you and me, I’ve been hoping Mr. Woodhouse might get the hint – but so far he’s been rather clueless.  Maybe you can help me out by filling him in on the good luck that catching the bouquet means, especially if I catch it today.”
“Ok, I will.  It’s a promise. My best wishes on being the next bride!” giggles Annie having enjoyed watching Jennings and Mr. Woodhouse flirt back and forth for years since both of them lost their spouses and who always seem to enjoy each other’s company more than anyone else.
“Alice thinks I should leave it up to the younger ones” explains Jennings but with more passion confirms as she opens the swinging door “All’s fair in love in war, I say!  Mr. Woodhouse is definitely worth the extra effort!”
Walking down the hallway towards the corps fellowship hall, Annie finds herself smiling and hoping that one day she will also find true love whatever form or age in comes in.  Lost in her thoughts, she runs into a pair of black shoes that evidently were headed directly towards her.  Her head bumps the middle of a man’s chest.  She recognizes his cologne from a long time ago and deeply blushes.
“Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t see you”, gushes Annie trying to move out of the way but dancing to an odd rhythm in-sync with her unexpected partner.
“It’s alright, I should have moved out of your way.  I noticed that you seemed a little preoccupied” apologizes Rick and then fumbling for what to say next “It was a great wedding don’t you think?  People should get married all the time for the party afterwards”.
Annie instinctively gives him a puzzled look because without realizing his true motive thinks that the best part of the wedding is the ceremony and especially where the couple exchanges vows but afraid to say anything manages “I guess so, if you really like going to parties.  I don’t go to parties very often, I don’t mind being on my own”
She can feel the words come out of mouth but as words reach a tone all she can think to herself is, “Don’t give him the impression you’re a hermit.  You do get out … well sometimes … at least it happens once in awhile.”
“I don’t go to parties much either since being stationed overseas at least not like the ones that are here” explains Rick wanting to continue the conversation but not sure what to say next “It’s quite different being home again.  I’m getting use to some of the typical social customs again.  I guess that I’ve managed to acclimate myself to the culture where I’ve been the last ten years.  It’s very different being back again.  I feel a bit of an outsider even though I’m still familiar with everything.”
“Oh … have you had much trouble adjusting to the food again?” asks Annie wondering why she couldn’t come up with a better question at least one that was slightly more interesting.
“It’s all right.  I like rice and beans for breakfast though and I rather miss it since being back” chuckles Rick “It’s been good to get re-acquainted with everyone again.  I was afraid that they might have forgotten me.”
“Oh, that would never happen” excitedly states Annie then feeling embarrassed at her quick response continues “You’re family wouldn’t forget you and you have your other friends from school too”.
“Yes, that’s true.  It’s been a long time and people tend to focus on those right in front of them and forget about the ones they leave behind until they see them again” offers Rick “Everyone has been very friendly though and I’m enjoying my visit”.
Unable to respond because her heart wants to let him know that she never forgot him, not one conversation, not one look, not one moment since he has been gone; Annie looks him directly in the eyes but only says “I’m glad you’re having a good time with everyone.  Lauren and Hailey seem quite pleased to have you here.”
In that second Rick almost takes a step back and raising his chin while taking in a deep breath as if to re-group his thoughts “Yes, they are very sweet and pretty young women.  I never knew Charles had such beautiful and intelligent sisters.  They seem quite confident and goal oriented too.”
In contrast to these words of acclamation, Annie can feel every ounce of her inner soul falling into a deep pit at this true acknowledgement of her dear friends’ characters, “Yes, they are nice girls.”
“Well, I don’t mean to keep you from the reception” politely but in a colder tone states Rick “Your loyal friends are probably waiting for your return”.
“Oh … uh … yes I suppose they are” awkwardly agrees Annie “It is time for me to get back, I’ve been talking way too long. It was nice to see you again.”
“You too.” Blandly states Rick with his back already turned from her and purposefully walking away down the corridor.
After turning the corner of the hallway, Annie stops a moment to collect her breath and sadly thinks to herself. “At least that is over. I’ve met him and I obviously don’t mean anything to him anymore.  I can get on with my life now because there is no point expecting anything from him. But I’m just not sure how to do that …”
At that same exact moment, Rick leans against the bulletin board of the latest announcements of camp, day camp, Bible Conference, and other activities for the summer. A few posters gingerly fall to the floor as his back hits the wall. Resting his head in his hand for a moment, he can feel the pressure throbbing against his forehead. His eyes sting and he blinks several times while gritting his teeth to regain his composure. “Why did I ever think she cared about me? It doesn’t even seem like she missed me.  All I’ve done is spend my time thinking of her the last fifteen years.  She acts like she barely remembers me as even an old acquaintance.”
The music fills the room with plenty of smiles and laughter.  Everyone appears to be in a good mood celebrating the marriage of Darcy and Liz.  Both of them glow in their excitement and love for each other.  Everyone is more than thrilled and happy for them.   As the wedding reception winds down, the bridal bouquet toss is announced.
Lauren, Hailey, Beth, Ariel Gray, Mary and Kitty Bennett, and Lila Steele are also joined by Jennings and Alice Hammer.  
Jennings positions herself with her feet wide apart as if ready to receive a football after a hike. She pulls up her uniform skirt slightly above her knees in her off-black hose stocking feet.  She claps her hands once together “I’m ready for ya!” she chimes in as the other girls smile and feel the competitive edge rise to the challenge.  She flexes her shoulder muscles one last time as the bride prepares the bouquet to be thrown.
For a second, Annie looks up and catches Rick’s eye at the bridal table. He smirks but blushes slightly before turning away to talk to Charles for a moment. Seeing him choosing to turn the other way rather than watching her, Annie thinks to herself with deep regret “He’s the only one I would ever want to marry but it seems like that time has passed for us”.
“Ready?” asks a very happy and contented Liz to her friends “One, two, three, here it goes!”
The bouquet flies into the air as small clusters of baby’s breath glide to the floor, it twists and turns in the air and finally lands at it destination.
Jennings leaps in her best jumping jack pose.  It narrowly misses the goal posts of her hands, sliding to the right and into the palms of Mary Bennett.
“It got me!” shouts Mary squeezing her knees together while jumping up and down in a semi-squat position “I’m the next one going to get married! I can’t believe it! I’m so excited! I can hardly wait!” after pausing for a second and smelling all the beautiful array of flowers looking over at the bachelor cluster turning to her sister, Kitty, in utter excitement Mary squeals “ I just need to meet him first! Maybe today will be the day!”
Again, Rick catches Annie’s eye and holds it for a moment as they both exchange a smile between each other. But then she notices his attention switches over to observing both Lauren and Hailey who are quietly analyzing amongst themselves their disappointment and strategizing on how to spend more time with the male companionship that is dutifully there for the rest of the evening.  In acknowledging her loss, Annie finds that they are both quite animated and charming to watch. She politely smiles at each of them before returning to her place at the reserved assigned table.
With hands on her hips, Jennings playfully glares at Mary for a moment in her cycle of astonishment and defeat. Rather loudly she declares, “Well, I guess that I’ll just have to wait for the next one! One day I’ll get my man!”

No comments:

Post a Comment