Search This Blog

Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Ten

“Hola mi amigos!  Como estan Ustedes?” Shrieks Harriet running down the pathway into the luggage area completely bypassing the security guard and over to her American friends.  He smiles recognizing her uniform and having met her many times before at the airport.  She hops and stops right into front of Annie and gives her a gigantic hug.  “Are you still reading?  I miss our book club so much!”
“Yes” giggles Annie brushing a strand of hair away from her face “I miss you sharing your wonderful ideas! You need to come back to our corps this summer although I’m sure your boyfriend has first dibs on where you want to go.  But you have to promise to visit!”
“I’m so glad you’re here!  We’re going to have such a great time together!” exclaims Harriet clasping her hands and jumping with enthusiastic pleasure being able to be with her friends again.
“Have you met Captain Wentworth yet?” asks Annie wanting to make everyone comfortable with their new friend.
“I don’t think so.  He’s a good looker” frankly states Harriet and then in a lower confidential tone but way to obvious with her intention as her wide eyes proclaim “Annie maybe you need to take a look in his direction.  It certainly wouldn’t hurt.”
Overhearing Harriet’s comments, Rick catches Annie’s eye as she deeply blushes unable to figure out how to respond in a calm and natural way. Annie giggles instead and shakes her head at her friend.
Seeing the Rick’s focus has moved from her, Lauren swiftly moves into place next to Rick “Do you mind helping me with some of my luggage? I might have brought one too many things with me.”  Lined up in front of her is seven bags in a variety of sizes from gigantic case to a makeup tote of leopard print luggage.
Wanting to check on Annie but being unavoidably deterred, Rick sighs and politely smiles, “I think they have luggage carts which would help you much better. I’ll get one for you.”
Within a few minutes, Rick finds the money that he has already exchanged and puts coin into the cart rack enough for three carts.  He moves one next to Lauren’s luggage and then heads toward where Annie is standing.
“I didn’t know if you needed a cart, but I have an extra one if you would like to use it.” Kindly offers Rick making an effort to have a moment to speak with Annie.
“Thanks, that was very thoughtful.  I only have one suitcase that has wheels and a backpack, but we could load on the school, toiletries, and medical supplies that we brought with us on it” looking around for a moment Annie adds “I think everyone else has their own instrument to carry too so a cart will be helpful.”
“Annie, I don’t think it would be a problem if you would like to go with us tonight” hopefully offers Rick, “If there are any issues that arise, I should be with the younger members of the team anyway. Ben Wick has decided to come along too with us so it will be a group event.”
“Oh, I’ll definitely think about it” states Annie while shuffling through her backpack to find her passport once again “I enjoy walking in the city at night and seeing the sights.”
“There you are!” rushes Lauren pushing her overloaded cart as quickly as she can up next to them. “This is so heavy.  You are so much stronger than me, I need your help.  I can push your cart while you push mine! I’ll save you a seat next to me on the bus too while the luggage is being loaded underneath.”
“Uhh … thanks” slightly dismayed states Rick looking back at Annie who has already started to walk towards the Exit doors of the airport towards the rest of the group that is waiting outside for the bus to arrive.
“I brought a couple of tour books with me and we can look at them while we drive to our destination.  You can help me pick out places that you would like to see while we are here on our free days” firmly offers Lauren with a smile looking directly into his eyes and insisting “It’s going to be so much fun!”
While waiting for the bus to arrive, Harriet runs and slides on the wet cement as if she is riding a slick surfboard and gently bumps into Ben Wick before stopping.  “Oh, sorry! I was just having some fun.  Have you ever been surfing?  You should try it sometime!”
“I haven’t been in a very long time.  Deidra loved to surf. Since my girlfriend was in a fatal car accident last year, I really haven’t been doing a whole lot of anything” fumbling with his luggage, Ben Wick takes a small awkward pause before continuing  “This summer was rather given to me as a gift to get away for awhile and hopefully get a fresh start”.
“I’m so sorry to hear about your girlfriend” offers Harriet brushing her hair behind her ear but then not knowing what else to say looks at the rest of the group loading into the bus “I think there is a empty spot open next to Annie. I’m already sitting next to my mom who is the corps officer and I think Annie is sitting alone.  She might like some company if you don’t mind.”
“Sure, no problem” replies Ben Wick feeling a sense of relief “She seems very nice and it will give us a chance to become better acquainted before the summer of service really begins.  This is my sixth year on a service corps team.  I could have been a leader as I have in the past, but I asked to have some time off from that role which is why they ended up assigning an officer to the team for the summer.  Captain Wentworth is a good friend and mentor too.  I’m so glad he is the one that territorial headquarters assigned to the team.”
Entering the bus Harriet shakes her hair back and adds a bandana as a hair band to hold back her dark curls. “Hey everybody!  We have a few announcements.  You are being passed back a brief of the daily schedule for the next six weeks.  Of course, the best thing to do is to “go with the flow” as you Americans say.  Being “flexible” with a consistent good attitude are the essential keys to a happy and fulfilling summer!  We’re very excited that all of you have come to help and serve.  There are many needs that will be uniquely filled by each one of you.  Remember God sent you here for a purpose and has many wonderful and challenging things in store for you. Keep your heart close to Him and everything will be all right.”
Rather than chatting with Lauren, Rick pulls out a large black leather notebook filled with various letters, forms, and papers.  He seems to concentrate heavily on what they contain.  Lauren a little perturbed takes out her small mirror and reapplies her lipstick and mascara hoping to gain some wanted attention.
As they pass the quiet countryside, Ben Wick pulls out a book from his gray knapsack and begins to read. 
“So, you like Tennyson?” politely asks Annie surprised that anyone on the team would be interested in poetry as well.
“Yes, he’s one of my favorite.  But I also thoroughly like Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and E.E. Cummings” offers Ben Wick pleased to find a kindred spirit for the summer.
“I like Langston Hughes who was part of the Harlem Renaissance and Emily Dickinson.  But Lord Alfred Tennyson is definitely my favorite.  I like especially like “In Memoriam” about the death of his friend.  I particularly like “Break, Break, Break” as a individual poem.”
“I’m reading “In Memoriam” about Arthur Hallam right now” surprised that Annie would even recognize his poetry “The series is helping me get through losing Deidra.”
“I understand. You can feel every emotion with each line” reflects Annie starting to quote a favorite stanza with sensitive inflection“Be near me when the sensuous frame is racked with pangs that conquer trust; and Time, a manic scattering dust, and Life – a fury, slinging flame”
“Yes!  How about ‘I sometimes find it half a sin, to put to words the grief I feel, for words like nature half reveal, and half conceal the soul within’ is one that I quote often to myself” offers Ben Wick smiling at his new companion.
“I know one too!” jumps Lauren into the conversation from across the aisle feeling a bit bored with her seat partner “’It is better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all!’ But I don’t know anything else in particular he ever said so don’t ask me.”
“That is a good one too” politely responds Ben Wick with a bit of a smirk and then turning to Annie.  “Here is another favorite ‘And, what delights can equal those that stir the spirit’s inner depths, when one that loves but knows not, reaps a truth from one that loves and knows?’”
“Oh I like that one!” exclaims Annie pleased with her unexpected new friend “We’ll definitely have to share our quotes.  Maybe we could have one we pick every morning that we can share with each other?”
“Sounds like a great idea!  It will make the summer all the more interesting with something to inspire us each day” quite content Ben Wick smiles from the corners of his eyes “I think this is going to be a good summer already.”
“Before I forget for each person I have a bookmark for you to place in your Bibles not only for the summer, but to remember to pray for us when you return to the States” explains Harriet taking a cluster of colorful hand-woven crosses out of her bag and handing them to Lauren to pass around on the bus. “We’re stuck in a bit of traffic but don’t worry it’s really not that much further to the children’s home in the mountains.”
“When are we going to eat?” asks Hailey putting an arm around Chris “We’re both really hungry!”
“I forgot about that.  We’re going to a local restaurant and for those a little more adventurous I would suggest that you need to try to eat some Cuy which is a local favorite” giggles Harriet as if she is holding a secret that is just about to burst from her “You can get it baked or BBQ’d.”
“I might try some of that” considers Annie while Ben Wick smiles at back at her.  He has been on many trips to Peru and had enjoyed the delicacies of the area, but carefully debates within himself whether to tell her or not what it is before she tries it.
“I definitely want to get some music while I am here.  I’ve listened to quite a bit these last couple of weeks. I enjoy listening to the drums and wind instruments” remembers Annie having downloaded quite a few songs “I would like to bring a Zampona back home with me if I have a chance to find one.”
As the bus comes to a half by a local restaurant in the center of town, everyone quickly embarks into the new world encountering in awe of the colors, design, and architecture of the buildings and the people that surround them.  The group opts to enjoy the outdoors and finds a cluster of tables under the canapés outside.
The breeze is cool and welcoming in the upper sixties since Lima is in the mountains, but as the summer continues the air will decrease in temperature more like fall weather for the team. 
Taking the lead, Ben Wick locates a table with a good view of the city. Annie follows closely behind him and he pulls out a chair for her.  Observing where everyone is seating, Rick notices Ben and Annie and heads toward the same table with Lauren in tow hurrying to claim the fourth seat.
Everyone settles into a comfortable place and begins to scan the unfamiliar menu requesting translation of Harriet and her mother several times.   Annie has already confessed to the team they probably know more Spanish that she does, but she makes an effort to speak and try to communicate in her rather peculiar accent and broken grammar to the waiter, the security guard, the bus driver, and just about anyone else that she meets.
“I only eat things when I know what they are.  I am a very picky eater” pronounces Lauren skeptically moving unfamiliar vegetables to the side of her plate.
“It’s always good to try things.  For one, your host will feel appreciated as they share with you some of their favorite things; and two, you might find something new that you really like; and three you’re here to experience the culture in order to blend and connect with the people you are helping.  By rejecting things that are important to them, you will only isolate yourself and be less effective” instructs Rick feeling as if it is necessary as the leader to set a standard of conduct. 
Listening quietly with his years of service corps experience in many different countries Ben Wick graciously interjects, “As a bit of advice, limit how much you compare the States to what is available to them or habitually whine about things you are missing.  Find a way to appreciate what is in front of you and let yourself experience whatever it is for its own worth and value.”
“Well, you’ve convinced me to at least try this dessert.  The picarones look like little donuts” taking one from the plate Lauren critiques “These are the best ever!  They taste a something like pumpkin and the chancaca syrup is really good too! I may need to take a goodie bag with me for later …”
“So what are the plans for tomorrow?” asks Annie taking the last bite of her tres leches cake.
“What about tonight?” interrupts Lauren simultaneously moving her chair closer to him “Captain Wentworth, are we going to walk the city? It looks like Annie and Ben Wick will have everything covered while we are gone.”
“Actually, I’ve invited Annie and Ben to go along with us since both Harriet and her mom will be staying at the children’s home for those who want to catch up on some sleep” answers Rick not wanting anyone to think they are already an ‘item’ “The four of us would be a good size group to do things together while we are here”.
In response Lauren lets out a huff and then purses her lips, “I guess that will be all right” and then takes a moment to glare in Annie’s direction but then cunningly smiles back at her “We easily fit into two couples, Annie can partner with Ben Wick when necessary.”
“Sounds great to me!” agrees Rick pleased to be sharing the time with his best friend and another he wants to be reacquainted with.
“Good, we’ll be able to have a few more discussions about our favorite poets and writers” suggests Ben Wick looking forward to the future adventures together and feeling much better than he has in months.
“Yes, I think it will be fun.” Affirms Annie cautiously wondering how the dynamics of this small group will play out over the next six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment