Search This Blog

Friday, October 25, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Twelve

“Beatriz, can you help me pass out the crayons?” asks Annie digging through one of the boxes of teaching supplies that will left at the children’s home once the summer has ended “Arcani, can you help me collect the scissors ?”
The kids are absorbed in their individual creative projects.  They are making colorful masks to wear for the special presentation that will be held at the end of the week celebrating all that they have learned during the summer.
“I think it is about time for chapel!” announces Lauren sweeping into the room excited for what lays ahead for the rest of the day.
“I’m not feeling so good …” informs Amaro walking up to Captain Wentworth holding his stomach “I think I might have had too many vegetables for lunch.”
“Mmmm … that could be or it might be the candy.  What do you think?” suggest Captain Wentworth with a smile and his arm around Amaro’s shoulder leading him to the infirmary.
“No, not really … candy is good for you, Capitan! I try to eat as much as I can every day” encourages the five -year old boy “I don’t think that I need the other green stuff.  It’s only good for grownups!”
“Maybe after taking a rest, you’ll feel better” offers Rick “We’ll save something for you that will be given out during chapel service.  I’ll let it be a surprise.”
“I like surprises! My sister once surprised me by giving me a turtle.  She found ‘Capac’ in the street around the corner from the children’s home” explains Amaro taking a deep sigh “ I had it for long time.  But one day I decided to let it go for a walk in the front lawn and it never came back! I looked and looked and looked and looked for it but it never found him! Do you like turtles, Capitan?”
“Yes, I think I do” considers Rick feeling as if something is about to come.
“Maybe you could get me another turtle” pleads Amaro tugging on Rick’s white pressed uniform sleeve leaving pink streaked traces of a Picounes tasty lollypop.  “You could name him!”
“I’ll have to think about that.  You’ve given me a good idea” kindly considers Rick looking at his sleeve for a moment and shrugging his shoulders enjoying the warmth of a child’s hand in his own as they chat on the way to the nurse.
“The children’s home only has Pedro.  He’s our dog.  He’s a lot of fun but I don’t think he would mind having a turtle as a brother” thoughtfully explains Amaro, “ He wouldn’t be lonely. He would have someone to play with him too.”
As they reach the infirmary where the volunteer nurse comes twice a week, Rick stoops to eye level with Amaro to tell him goodbye.  Amaro gives Rick a huge hug while rubbing his face into his shoulder smearing just a few more remnants of candy on his shirt with a urgent request “Remember my turtle!”
“What are you doing?” playfully asks Lauren “It looks like your shirt will need to be washed again”.
“It doesn’t matter, a little soap will take care of it” rationalizes Rick feeling as if he just had one of his best conversations of the day with a five-year old.
“I don’t like getting dirty especially from children” a little disgusted explains Lauren “Kids are great as long as they don’t share their dirt or germs with me”
“Ummm …. It kind-of goes with the territory” thoughtfully states Rick “A moment with one of them is worth anything that can be cleaned or will pass on by eventually”.
“If you say so” sarcastically responds Lauren “I keep a bottle of anti-bacteria hand cleanser in my purse for any time I need it.”
“That’s probably helpful to at least some degree” acknowledges Rick feeling as if working with children may be something that Lauren will not likely pursue as a future career.
As they are talking, Annie passes them in the hallway looking for the box of construction paper, glitter, plastic beads, and feathers.  Observing Annie for a few moments, Rick recognizes Annie’s familiar gait and smiles thinking that she hasn’t changed much over the years. 
Lauren noticing that Annie is gaining some attention attempts to interrupt his thoughts “Annie!  You need to go to the ladies room right now!  It looks like you have been hit by a cyclone of sparkles!”
Feeling slightly embarrassed, Annie looks up catching Rick’s eye as she starts to wipe the mixture of glue and purple, red, and silver glitter from her face.  “I didn’t realize that I still had some left.”
Seeing that the glitter has not only reached her face but her hair as well highlighting it in several places, Rick chuckles while helping her remove some of the unwanted shine and paste.
Crossing her arms with a bit of a pout Lauren insists “I think you need to go use a mirror.  Neither one of us alone can remove everything that you managed to get all over you.  Seriously, considering the amount of glitter on you, I can barely tell the difference between you and one of the children.”
In response Annie weakly grins and disoriented from being momentarily annoyed turns to head down in the opposite direction of where she has been directed. Rick calls after her, “I think you’re heading the wrong way.  I’ll walk with you and show you where to go.  I’m going that way anyway.  I need to check about a few last minute details about our trip this afternoon.  I’ll see you later Lauren.”
Realizing that she will be left alone in the hallway, Lauren grits her teeth and cooly stares back at him. “I think that I’ll walk with you too.  Annie might need some help after all.”
About an hour later, Rick meets the team back in the chapel for devotions and further instructions for the day.  While waiting for him each member has chosen a polished wooden bench to relax on from the long day of children’s activities.  It has been a rewarding summer but exhausting as well.   There are only a few days left before they return home to share their testimonies of the amazing things that happened to change their lives and hopefully the lives of others within a few short weeks.
“I know some of you have chosen to go to the market place in Miraflores with Harriet and Major Smith to get some last minute shopping done for souvenirs, as well as to tour the Aliaga House and Pucllana Temple.  For those who are left, I will be taking the group to Machu Picchu for the rest of the day and tomorrow” explains Rick and then more directly, “Please make sure you have started to pack for your return back to the States.  Anything that you would like to leave here to donate for the children’s home would be greatly appreciated.  In about an hour, we’ll be leaving for our destined locations.  So, keep track of the time, you don’t want to keep anyone waiting any longer than necessary.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment