Search This Blog

Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Six


“I’m so excited!” floats Lauren between the kitchen table and moving towards the cabinets to take out a mug for some hot chocolate “I’m so glad that it was so easy to convince Mary to invite Captain Wentworth over for dinner.  If I didn’t know better I would say she was harboring a secret crush on him too!”
“Well that would make three of his.  I did see him first if you remember, so I have first dibs” snidely remarks Hailey flipping her hair behind her shoulder and sticking out her chin a little more pronounced than before and firmly confirming “I think he has noticed me as well”.
Rolling her eyes while twitching her lips Lauren rebukes her sister, “He might have noticed you but he kept his eyes on me all night at the wedding!”
As the competitive chatter continues, Anne’s eye glaze over as she stares at the herbal tea bag steeping in her mug bringing back many memories of a dear friend that once kept her attention nearly fifteen years before.
“Annie, I’m so glad that I caught up with you!” gasping for air Rick tries to catch his breath as he slows down his pace to walk gently beside her “I was looking for you after you left class today and you disappeared.  Were you in a hurry?”
“No, not really but I need to get back to the house because Lydia Russell has something for me to do and I really shouldn’t be late” nervously explains Annie shifting her textbooks in her hands to find a more comfortable position to get a better view of him.
“Do you want me to help you carry some of that?” grabbing without waiting for a reply, Rick takes three of the largest books from her “They look pretty heavy”.
“It’s okay, but thank you” genuinely relieved remarks Annie “I think that I’ve got enough homework for tonight to last me for a year”.
“Would you like to study together tonight?” eagerly asks Rick “If you wouldn’t mind I might need some help in understanding some of the medieval poetry I’ve been assigned which you seem to have a knack for explaining”.
Blushing Annie agrees “Ok, I think that I can managed some free time after work.  I have some new music that I think you might like to hear too.”
“Sounds great!  I’ll bring some snacks along. Maybe afterwards we can watch a movie or something?”  Anticipating a positive reply Rick continues “I just bought a couple of the new blockbusters that came out this summer which I hope you don’t mind seeing again.”
“Sure, I’ll bring some soda so it’s even. But I get to pick the movies the next time” Annie jokingly teases “But you may have to watch a chick-flick or two”.
“No problem, just don’t expect me to cry during the sappy parts, but I might be conjured into holding your hand to help you through them” flirts Rick not yet having held her hand but wanting to.
“Ha, ha” laughs Annie looking at him in the eyes just for a moment while taking her books back from him as she reaches her car “I might just let you do that”.
The aroma of the tea brings her back as she hears Lauren accusingly ask her “How thick are you going to make your tea?  Personally, I like mine pretty weak with lots of cream and sugar.”
“I didn’t realize that I had been stirring it for so long” notices Annie “I think that I made need to add more cream than usual to make it drinkable and not so bitter.”
“You know Annie I was talking to Captain Wentworth after the reception.  I really didn’t know that he knew you before.  He said that you had changed so much that he hardly recognized you.  I think what he meant with you getting older as everyone does, you just don’t look the same” Lauren continues reflecting “I can’t imagine what I’m going to look like when I’m your age.  I hope that I’m different and never get old looking instead I want to look beautiful and be the most gorgeous woman in any room my entire life!”
Forcing a grin, Annie looks at her for a second and then down at her teacup again “None of us really know our future until that time comes.  There are much more important and valuable things in life than just beauty which one day will come to mean more to you.”
“I certainly hope not!” refuses Lauren “People just say that when they don’t feel good about themselves and the way they look … no offense Annie of course to you … I’m going to marry someone rich who can afford to keep me looking pretty!”
“Really Lauren, you sound so shallow. Some people are born with natural beauty, look at Sophia Lauren, Dianne Keaton, Susan Sarandon, and Michelle Pfeiffer, they’re never going to look old” taking a moment to pause before Hailey wistfully adds “I think that I might have the same genes in common.”
“Whatever …” smugly replies Lauren “If you have them, then I have them too as your sister.”
“At least we have the Musgrove blood and not like the Elliots even if Mr. Elliot is the only one still attractive for his age” considers Lauren then noticing that Annie was still in the kitchen listening to them “I didn’t mean any offence, but your dad is still quite good looking considering his age.”
“Yes, I know.  He makes quite a bit of effort to look that way every morning” replies Annie with a tinge of resentment in her voice having been the sacrifice of many of his selfish whims to pamper himself over the years.
They hear a knock at the door which Lauren runs to respond too avoiding any more unintended insults to Annie whom actually she cares very much for like an aunt.  Annie looking at the ceiling can hear from the other room “It’s Captain Wentworth!  How are you doing?  What a surprise! Yes, we’d love to go for a ride!”
Walking into the kitchen Annie looks up to see Rick standing in front of her.  “Hi!  I saw your car outside.  I came by to see Charles.  I’ve invited everyone for a picnic at Kellynich Park if you would like to come.  The girls suggested going to the corps who are having a carnival to raise money for world services and thought it might be something fun to do.  Would you like to join us?”
“I don’t know if there will be enough room in Charles CRV for all of us if Annie comes too” pointedly announces Hailey.
“I can bring my car along” suggests Rick “if we take both cars there will be plenty enough room.”
“Don’t worry!” enthusiastically offers Lauren “I can ride with you and everyone else with Charles.  Then there is plenty of room.”
“What is all this noise about?  You can’t forget me.  I want to go too!” informs Mary wiping the last bit of glazed donut from her cheek and closing the Faces magazine in her hand.
“You need to ride with Charles and Mary and the boys” organizes Lauren and then somewhat disappointedly “Annie can ride in the back seat in the car with us.”
Feeling like a fifth wheel Annie states “I don’t have to go.  I’ve got things to do.”
Before anything else can be said Charles jumps into the conversation walking towards her pulling at her arm to join them  “Nonsense Annie, everyone wants you with us. It wouldn’t be the same without you.”
Glaring at Charles ability to be so comfortable with Annie, Rick smirks and turns toward Lauren “Everyone ready?”
Moving closer to him impulsively Lauren grabs a hold of his forearm giving him a gentle stroke in unity with her excitement “I can hardly wait!”
The all find their places in the car.  Rick opens the door for Lauren and lets her in and then moves to the other side of the car behind the driver’s seat.  Annie has already started to climb in and starts to shut the door, but Rick grabs a hold of it in a bit of a tug of war, before finally Annie gives in and lets Rick shut the door for her.  Smugly he looks to the sky pleased with himself before finding his place in the driver’s seat.
As the incessant questions by Lauren begins, Rick takes cursory glances into his review mirror observing Annie unaware that he is analyzing her.  Every time Annie looks up into the mirror, Rick quickly looks away and fidgets with the radio again or the windshield wipers for a cleaning.
Annie somewhat confused because he isn’t smiling at her and seems to be enjoying all the questions that Lauren is throwing at him concentrates on the scenery randomly passing outside her window. “Annie, are you listening?” pertinently Lauren demands “Captain Wentworth just asked you a question.”
“I’m sorry, I’m lost in my own thoughts.  What did you ask me?” embarrassed Annie tries to move her thoughts back into reality.
“I was wondering if you still like to write?” kindly asks Rick wanting to include Annie in the conversation that so far has only been one sided.
“Occasionally, but it’s hard to find time to” remarks Annie “sometimes it’s just a need to be inspired that leaves me blank without it”.
“I use to like to read your poetry and stories” remembers Rick with a warm smile at the reflection.
“I write too!” Lauren intercedes “I’ll have to show you some of my work as well.  Hailey and I like to make up commercials. We’ve done it since we were children.  I’m really good at some slogans and branding.  I’m considering marketing as a career.”
The conversation shifts back to Lauren as Annie relaxes into the comfort of cushions of the back seat.  She silently muses to herself for a moment “At least he remembers that I use to write.  There are so many things that I will never forget about him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment