Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Covenant - Chapter Fourteen

Heading towards the oversize front doors leading from the hotel’s lobby to the outside , Annie feels a buzzing sound coming from the hidden pocket of her rustic backpack.
“I’ll be there in a minute… I’ll catch up with you!” yells Annie bending on one knee attempting to open the tied drawstrings of her backpack which have now turned into a knot as the phone continues to buzz.
Looking behind him, Rick notices Annie and tells the others, “We’ll wait outside the doors for her.  It isn’t a good idea for anyone to go off wandering on their own even if it is just a block or two away.”
“Hello?” frantically asks Annie into the receiver afraid that she might have missed the call while searching to find her phone.
“Hello? Hello? Hey, Alice, can you figure this out?” requests a familiar voice on the other end of the line. 
Annie hears some shuffling and asks again “Hello?”
“Hello!” exuberantly greets Alice Hammer and then Annie can hear Jennings jumping in “I think you need to hit that button!”
The phone goes completely silent and still, Annie asks again “Hello? Is anyone there? Hello?”
“Ahhh … yes, we’re finally here!  Jennings hit the mute button instead of the speaker so we could both talk to you at once” delightfully explains Alice Hammer “We are actually speaking to you in Peru!  How exciting!”
“Can you hear us? How do we sound? Are we clear enough?” inquires Jennings in tones of a crescendo and decrescendo while fidgeting with the phone in an attempt to turn up the volume.  
“Do we sound any different? Do you have an accent yet?” curiously asks Alice Hammer anticipating an affirmative answer “I always wanted a Spanish accent when I talked.  I thought it would be terribly romantic, just like Zorro”.
“Oh course she doesn’t! She’s only been there a couple of months!” snaps Jennings wondering where her best friend comes up with these ideas and then mumbling not directly into the phone “Zorro please … “
“Well, how about maybe someone that has been in “Evita” perhaps like Antonio Banderas or Salma Hayek … But that was Argentina, not Peru” considers Alice Hammer meandering through her random thought tangent.  “I always liked that song ‘Don’t Cry for me Argentina’ when Madonna sang it.  I’d like to sing like her but definitely not wear her costumes.”
“At least you are agreeing not to expose yourself too much, now that would be a scary sight to behold” mockingly states Jennings clearing her throat with a moment of compromise  “At least you got the right continent of South America instead of the country of Spain which is now considered to be in Europe.”
Missing her friends but attempting to bring the conversation back to something she can join in on, Annie giggles “No, not really… but I can teach you a little Spanish when we get back. How does that sound?”
“Wonderful! I’ve been practicing a little on the postman.  I’ve been saying to him “ Moo-cha-chas Grass-see-ahs” when he hands me the mail.  He seems quite pleased”
“As you can tell, she still needs a little help” sarcastically replies Jennings “She found a book about learning to speak Spanish in seven days, but I think she needs something more like Rosetta Stone that she can listen to”.
“Also, when I’ve run in to my favorite clerk from Shop-mart I’ve asked her “Comma estates you stead is’” speaking really slowly so Annie can understand her “I’m not sure I’m saying it right, but at least she smiles back at me! Last week she even patted my hand after I showed her the lovely blouse I bought and I replied “Mooey bandana.”
Annie can hear a ‘ughhh’ sound on the other end of the line and then asks “What? I didn’t quite get that.”
 After a sigh Jennings remarks blandly “Annie, don’t strain yourself, if you can’t figure it out, Alice meant to say ‘muchos bonita’ - not quite the same thing…”
“So, how about you?  What kind-of things have you been doing?” cheerfully inquires Alice Hammer taking another bite of her cookie.
“We’ve been doing daily children’s worship services as well as a vacation Bible School type thing but instead of one week it has ran for eight.  We’ve also did a few ‘open airs’ on the street corners with drama and sacred dance using a small brass ensemble , Bible Studies at senior care facilities, helped paint the bunk beds in the Children’s Home and also the walls with lots of fun designs.  Let’s see, some of the guys painted the outside of the building and planted a few seeds and trimmed the yard work” states Annie trying to recall just a few things that they were able to participate “Also, we served meals to the community during the week for lunch, and in the evening we either lead worship or planned family activities for those who attend the corps”
“You sound very busy” frankly confirms Jennings “I wish that I were young again and could go on a mission trip.  The service trips are some of the highlights of my time as an officer before I retired.”
“Are you getting enough rest?” asks Alice Hammer concerned for her friend who’s voice sounds a little weak on the phone.
“I take some time for myself, everyone has to in order to recover some of those who don’t make it a little tougher on the rest of us because they don’t always make the best decisions when they are exhausted, and to be blunt are more difficult to get along with while they continue to run on little or no sleep” explains Annie have witnessed and experienced some exhaustion from other teammates over the last few weeks. “Even though at times each of us has been tired, it has definitely been worth every moment being here.”
“We sent you a care package.  One box is for the school with a few extra supplies.  The box for the team includes candy, tissues, some eye drops and aspirin, band-aids, cough drops, microwave popcorn, chapstick, toothpaste, stickers for the kids, money to buy postcards and stamps” explains Jennings running through the list in her mind “oh yes, some children and adult  praise and worship CDS which are always beneficial.”
“Thank you so much!  It will be very helpful!” gratefully shares Annie watching as Rick walks towards her “A group of us are going out for a walk tonight.”
“How romantic! Are you going with Captain Wentworth?  He’s so handsome!  He’s a good match for you, Annie.  I saw him noticing you quite a bit before all of you left town.  Have you made him your boyfriend yet?” curiously asks Alice Hammer hopeful that they have connected in an unfamiliar place.
“No” giggles Annie “We’re just friends. However, I think that he might be interested in someone else on the team.  At least she is making every attempt to make him be.”
“Oh, that’s too bad.  If things are meant to be they will eventually work out.  But if not, then your future is elsewhere” offering words of encouragement Jennings continues “ Just keep a smile on your face and find happiness in what you are doing, then when the right person comes along it will be the best time for you.”
“Well, I have to go now.  I’m sending quite a few postcards you way.  Have any of them arrived yet?” asks Annie flipping her backpack over her shoulder while still clinging to the phone in order not to keep her friends waiting any longer than necessary.
“Oh yes.  I have them all over the refrigerator!  I’m thinking of making a scrapbook for you once your trip is done!” offers Alice Hammer suddenly inspired with a few ideas that involve glitter, paint, and a little flair.
“Sounds wonderful! I can hardly wait to see it!” smiles Annie treasuring already the future gift of her friends.
“Well, see you.  Make sure you take lots of pictures so we can look at all the places you went to!” orders Jennings “We miss you Annie.  Have a great time!  Bye!”
Looking down at her phone already missing her dear friends, Annie sighs as she clicks ‘end’.  Rick places a kind hand on her shoulder bending his head towards her, “Is everything all right, back at home?”
“Oh yeah, everything is great.  I’m just missing home a bit, that’s all” reflects Annie gently moving away from Rick and taking a few steps towards the front door “I’m sorry that I kept everyone waiting.  I’m ready to go now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment