Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Covenant - Chapter Thirty-Eight

 
"Did you remember the mascara?" asks Beth "I'm almost out and I don't know what I'd do without it!"
"No one is going to see you for the next few days and we have all seen you without your makeup!" Annie remarks shaking her head while unloading the bags of groceries in the kitchen.
"Rick hasn't" smartly replies Beth "Isn't that right?"
"I guess so, but it really doesn't matter that much to me" awkwardly replies Rick not sure if he should get in the middle of a sister argument.
"I like to look good no matter what the occasion, isn't that so dad, impressions are everything" notes Beth gleefully finding the stick of mascara in the bag "Thank you so much Rick! You even picked my favorite brand."
He whispers to Annie, "That was the easy part, it was the most expensive one."
Annie looking directly at him, "You didn't have to do that.  Beth could get what she wanted a couple of days from now."
"It was worth it to avoid two or three days of whining" smiles Rick being a little more truthful than he probably should.
"Awww ... hello Rick.  Nice to see you again.   I see you have been helping Annie and making my little Bethie happy as well" replies Walter Elliot comfortably relaxing in his high-end recliner.
"Where is your other beau, Annie?" asks Walter Elliot completely oblivious that this might not be a topic she wants to discuss in front of Rick.
"Last I heard from him was that he was skiing in Vermont with friends" replies Annie as shortly and accurately as she can but not remarking on what she saw just a few moments ago.
"I like that Elliot.  He's much alike a man like myself.  Adventurous, suave, debonair, and know the value of a dollar and good breeding" analyzes Walter admiring his own reflection in the large mirror above the sofa.
While listening, Rick puts his head down considering if he has anything else on his agenda that might place him in another location.
While trying to figure out what to say, Beth walks in holding her phone "Ariel just texted me.  She is having a great time at her family reunion but misses us here.  She may be staying there an extra couple of days because of the storm though.  That's so disappointing.  I'm stuck with Annie now, no offense Annie, but Ariel is so much more fun to talk to."
"It reminds, Elliot and I were discussing your trust fund the other day" remarks Walter unaware still that Elliot isn't a welcomed discussion at the moment.
"Why were you discussing my trust fund with him?" questions Annie not happy with any answer that might be offered.
"Well, I told him it was quite a deal of money your mother left to you.  Unlike the rest of us who have spent what she left to us, you have not.  I thought he might offer some sound advice on how to manage it since he seems to have a knack for business" explains Walter taking on an air of authority as a considerate father which rarely happens.
"I manage my funds fine.  Her gift to me paid for college and I'm saving the rest for a home, retirement, and eventually college for my children if I ever have that opportunity" firmly replies Annie not wanting to discuss money with her father who runs through it like water.  "She has helped to pay for our stay in New York which everyone seems to be enjoying.  I miss her and wish that she were with us now to enjoy it."
"Your mother was a good woman, but I wish that she had left more money to me rather than dividing the rest of it between the three of you.  Both of your sisters have already spent their inheritance" then huffing in annoyance Walter adds "I'm surprised you've still managed to hang on to your own which was why I was talking to Elliot."
"I don't understand why the conversation took place.  Elliot has nothing to do with me" haughtily responds Annie wanting to no longer discuss anything to do with money.
Ignoring her Walter continues "He had a wonderful idea.  He suggested that you buy the largest home possible with the money, then turn around and sell it for more money that you paid for it.  Then you could use the extra money for whatever you wanted to.  If you marry him, he could help manage your funds for the best possible use."
"No, thank you.  I'm doing just fine.  It's for a future home for my own family and to help with things when we need it to" bluntly responds Annie very angry that her father would discuss her own finances with Elliot.
"Well, he will soon be part of the family anyway" responds Lydia Russell quietly sitting on the couch but feeling the necessity to intervene especially now that Rick is also in the room "Elliot was asking about your ring size only last week and we went through your jewelry together to see what shape of stones you like.  It sounds like an engagement is soon to be on its way to me."
Bursting into the room, they hear Alice Hammer's voice ascending the vocal stairs "Hello, hello, hello!  We're here for some fun!"
Unable to hide his emotions, Rick quickly stands up "I'm heading down to Alfred's apartment.  It's been a long day and I think being out in the cold has made me more tired than I expected."
"Oh that's too bad" sadly remarks Jennings "I was hoping you could be my bridge partner this time!  I'm sure we would win!"
"Maybe next time.  I'm sorry, I'm going to go now.  I hope you have a great evening.  I'll see you tomorrow" stammers Rick not wanting to be around anyone at the moment until he can collect his thoughts.
Not wanting to leave things unsaid, Annie jumps up from her place and rushes into the hallway where Rick is already waiting for the elevator and walking through the sliding doors.  "Please come back tomorrow.  I'm making cookies and you won't want to miss them!"
He smiles and nods as the doors close between them.  Annie stands in the hallway staring at the metal doors in front of her. "Why do things always have to be like this?" she whispers to herself so that no one else can hear and then shaking her head  "I can't even bake cookies very well. How am I ever going to get him to stay because of my cookies?"

No comments:

Post a Comment