Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Covenant - Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Are you warm enough? Did you come by yourself?" asks Tanisha "I've made some coffee, if you'd like some. How do you take it?"
"That sounds good!  Two sugars and a little cream, please" replies Annie taking off her heavy winter coat, hat, and gloves and hanging them on the coat rack in the entry way. "A friend is at the corner getting some last minute groceries and walked with me".
"Oh that's good, I was afraid you went out by yourself.  The snow can quickly pile up in a blizzard which I don't think you would be quite use to" remarks Tanisha handing the coffee to Annie "This should keep you warm at least for a little while."
"Thank you!" taking a sip Annie replies "This tastes really good, perfect for the moment."
"I heard some news recently that you and Elliot are now dating and that wedding bells may be headed for your future" cautiously surrenders Tanisha taking another quick sip of her coffee.
"Oh ... yes I know Elliot but I wouldn't say we are dating, let alone headed towards getting married" surprised Annie shakes her head trying to figure out where that idea may have come from.
"Lots of being saw you at The Temple the other night and were remarking what a charming couple you made.  Quite a few others remarked how they have run into you and Elliott all around town.  Evidently he keeps a photo of you on his screen on his phone" offers Tanisha fishing for a response from Annie whom she has known for years.
"I never saw the photo.  Yes, we go out occasionally but usually Beth and Ariel are also with us so it is not like a date.  It might appear like a date to others on the days they can't join us." honestly replies Annie having not considered that others might assume they are dating because it is just the two of them at times.
"Are you interested in Elliot?" carefully asks Tanisha not sure how she will proceed once Annie answers.
"No, not really.  He's a good friend but way too much of a flirt to take him seriously.  He would definitely hurt my heart if I set it on him.  I don't know if he knows the definition of faithful or loyalty" acutely Annie responds to her friend's questions "I would only choose to be with someone who could be faithful and loyal to me, I don't need another flirt in my life.  They are usually only just a waste of time."
"I'm sorry to tell you this, but I am relieved that you are not interested in him.  I knew Elliot a few years ago.  I don't know if you are aware, but Elliot's car is the one that was involved in my accident.  He didn't have any money then and I didn't ask him for anything.  The insurance covered most of the costs but not really not all of them.  Eventually he married into money, as I am sure you are already aware" begins Tanisha taking another sip of coffee and resting a moment before continuing  as memories take over her emotions for a moment.
"There was a new experimental procedure that would have possibly helped me, but also counseling with the person who caused the accident had to participate in the program.  There was no cost to him, except for an hour a week sessions for ten weeks.  The program was to document not only the physical but also emotional therapy in the healing process." 
"That sounds interesting.  What an opportunity!"  encourages Annie feeling that anything that would possibly make her friend more comfortable would be worth the risk.
"Elliot refused.  He never told his former wife about the accident.  It was too humiliating for him.  I think he was afraid his DUI would come out and other information about that night that would ruin his political career potential" softly explains Tanisha  "We had been dating for awhile when the accident happened, but he barely spoke to me afterwards.  He didn't once visit me in the hospital. I wasn't asking for a money, only a chance to try something that might lead to my recovery."
"I didn't know Elliot was married before" replies Annie "He never told me.  He has a lot of secrets.  What happened to her?"
"He had several affairs on her and she eventually left him" blandly explains Tanisha without malice but being truthful "I believe Maria Bertram has married again. But she is also a handful."
"This information is all new to me" considering the information, Annie adds "I don't know Elliot very well.  He rarely speaks about anything personal with me.  I would only be interested in someone who could share about all of their life with me.  I'd much rather be with someone who is real than someone who refuses to completely be themselves."
"Well, I should probably go.  Rick is waiting for me at the store.  I'm sure he has bought everything in the store by now" smiles Annie to herself.
"Rick .... Rick Wentworth?" happily asks Tanisha "I haven't  heard his name for years.  Is he back from missionary duty?  I remember Rick.  He's a wonderful guy, always kind and thoughtful.  I never understood why it didn't work out for the two of you.  But I was dating Elliot and doing my own thing then, unfortunately we lost touch for awhile."
"Yes, I ran into him on service corps while in Peru last summer" remarks Annie with a sweet smile at the memory "He's in New York and has been assigned to the training college which he will begin in a few  weeks."
"You'll have to bring him with you the next time you visit.  He was very helpful to me in a couple of our classes in college and a good friend too" remarks Tanisha "Annie, you don't have to take my advice, but he's the one for you.  Maybe there is still a chance after all of these years."
"Yes, maybe.  I hope so.  But he has to figure that out too" bluntly replies Annie wishing that he would figure it out sooner rather than later.
 
Reaching the store, Annie looks across the street and thinks that she sees Elliot and Ariel sitting together at a table at the deli.  They look very animated with each other.  On closer look, it appears Elliot is holding Ariel's hand across the table.  Annie is puzzled but not jealous.  "I thought he was suppose to be in Vermont this weekend, skiing with friends.  Maybe he decided not to go.  Ariel was suppose to be in New Jersey for a family reunion, maybe that didn't work out either because of the weather.  Well, I hope they have a good time together during the blizzard."
"There you are.  I think that I have bought the store out of all of their marshmallows.  Are you ready to head back?  The snow is really coming down now" notices Rick putting a gentle arm around her back in case she should fall on the ice but not close enough for her to feel it through her coat. 
"Why don't you give me a bag or two?  I can help" as Annie takes a bag of bread and cereal, and a gallon of milk from his arm "I don't mind and I can carry them."
Quietly walking along the icy sidewalk together during the storm, each silently acknowledges that they would rather be together in the cold than a warmer place alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment