Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2016

The Covenant Chapter Thirty Four

"I can't find my green sock!" exclaims Jennings dumping her  zebra striped suitcase for the third time in a row "Alice Hammer, did you borrow my socks?"
"Why would I borrow your socks?" asks Alice Hammer carefully sorting and lining up her socks in a row "See I have fuchsia, magnolia, terracotta, chocolate, and turquoise"
"Why can't you use normal names like everyone else? pink, white, orange, brown, and blue?" remarks Jennings.
"I like to add a little excitement to my life.  Doesn't terracotta sound much more exotic than orange?" justifies Alice Hammer raising the matched socks and rubbing against her cheek "I think of terracotta homes in the Mediterranean when I see that color and imagine myself lying on a beach under a beautiful sunset."
"Ok, I don't know why I am asking, but what about Magnolia rather than white?" questions Jennings biting her lip a little afraid of the response.
"I see myself as a gentle southern belle full of grace and elegance" dreamily explains Alice Hammer slowly tossing her head side to side in politely in mocking awe of her surroundings raising her hand to softly rest upon her cheek as if contemplating between murmur and a sigh.
Staring her down in a confused state, shaking her head with a furrowed brow Jennings curiously asks "So what does fuchsia remind you of?"
"Oh, it always reminds me that I am a beautiful princess.  I can image myself walking around with a crown and scepter" explains Alice Hammer twirling and pulling her checkered pants far out to the sides, bowing and curtsying to an invisible prince before her.
"Ummm .... it's amazing what the colors of socks can do ...." considers Jennings amazed by her friend once again, "Is Alfred the prince in this imaginary fairyland of yours?"
Blushing Alice Hammer confesses to her best friend for years, "He most definitely is..."
At this reply, Jennings and Alice Hammer share a giggle like they once did as young girls together many years ago.
"Oh look, it's starting to snow!  I love snow!  I wonder if Alfred is back from walking Oscar this morning?  I bought a little winter dog coat for her that has wings like an angel on it" brightly shares Alice Hammer pulling a lemon quilted coat with translucent wings out of the bag from the convenience store down the street from the Silver Crest Towers.  Alfred was saying the other day how much Oscar was an angel to him. Do you think he will like it?"
"I'm sure he will" confers Jennings wondering what will happen between the two of them once they return to Crestwood Gardens contemplating that she might end up with a new neighbor.
A few minutes later in the middle of their laughter, there is a loud rhythmic knock at their door.  As the door opens Jennings can hear Alice Hammer's voice from the other room, "Oh Alfred, how sweet of you!  You brought my favorites, salted caramels and daisies.  Thank you!"
In the quiet stillness of her room, Jennings smiles and wishes her friend all of the best.
As the snow continues to slowly collect on the window ledge in another room across the hall, while waiting for Rick to call, Annie tries to remember the events of many years ago when she was waiting for another call.
"I just don't understand why he hasn't called or even written me" pouts Annie throwing herself on the bed in the cabin that her family owns for the summer.  "You gave him the note with this address and my new cell number, didn't you?"
"Yes, of course I did" concealing the truth from her, Lydia Russell suggests "He's probably very busy and doesn't have much time to think of you.  I've checked the mail in town at the post office box and nothing is there."
"I don't understand why we can't have a landline phone at the cabin.  The cell service is awful here" sulks Annie throwing her favorite stuffed animal from not so recent childhood on the floor. "He must be trying to reach me.  He promised."
"Well, young men often find other things to distract them.  You know the saying something about not remembering what is not in front of you"  seeing a twinge of pain, Lydia Russell slightly softens her words "I'm sure he hasn't forgotten you, but he does have other friends and he is probably focusing on them right now.  You need to be fair to him and give him some space.  No one likes a clinging vine and you dear are clinging."
"But how could he forget me so easily?  I've written to him practically every day" whines Annie trying to hold back tears but being entirely unsuccessful "He hasn't called or written once all summer."
"Well, maybe you need to consider that he wants some freedom.  Perhaps he thought by not talking to you would be the easiest way to break up with you.  It's rather cowardly, but some men are like that" unsympathetically offers Lydia Russell soothing Annie's hair as she cries "You know, my nephew Thomas is here.  He seems quite interested in you.  He has so much in common with you and our families are so similar we're practically related already."
"Thomas is a nice guy, but there isn't any spark.  I don't think he is interested in me" honestly replies Annie "I don't think that I am the right one for him."
"Nonsense, you've just been spending too much time thinking about Rick" orders Lydia Russell then more manipulatively "You need to give Thomas a chance.  Let me be blunt, Rick has moved on and it's time for you to do the same."
"I just don't understand.  Things were really good between us before we parted three months ago.  Now he acts like I don't exist" moans Annie sobbing into not so comforting pillow.
"It's time to grow up Annie.  Rick has different goals and he has moved on.  He doesn't need you anymore or he would be contacting you" argues Lydia Russell "And in the meantime, Thomas is here waiting for you to even notice him and he fits you so well too.  You're not going to find anyone else that is such a good catch.  Rick will quickly move on to someone else, he probably has already.  Dry your tears.  You have your whole future ahead of you."
Coming back to the present as a chill surrounds her, Annie wraps herself in a warm blanket and wipes a random tear or two from the past that have quietly fallen down her cheek.   The snow continues to gather along the sidewalks and streets.  She hopes that the day will not be cancelled with Rick.
About an hour later there is a knock at her door, Beth walks in and flatly announces "That officer is here to see you again.  I don't know why you are hogging all the men, first it is Elliot and now Rick.  What makes you so special?  The guys have always liked me, not you.  Why were you with Elliot yesterday and now Rick today?"
"I wasn't with Elliot.  I went to the bookstore" honestly explains Annie.
"That's not what Ariel told me" defiantly Beth informs  "Ariel said the two of you were together all day and she ran into you both at the deli.  She ended up spending the afternoon with Elliot and you."
"I don't know who was with Elliot.  It wasn't me. I didn't see him until the concert last night" shares Annie wondering why Ariel would not be telling the truth.
"Don't be silly.  Ariel said you spend every Thursday with him" refutes Beth jealously remembering lost time with Elliot, the object of her affection.
"On Thursdays I have book club and then I go to the library to write for awhile away from everyone.  I'm definitely not with Elliot.  He knows that is the day I like to have to myself" confused Annie explains.
"Well, one of you is lying and I don't think it is Ariel because she is a true witness that the two of you are together every Thursday" stubbornly insists Beth with a small stomp of the foot.  "Why would she lie?  She's my best friend.  You like Elliot and you're trying to take him away from me when you know how much I like him!"
"Think whatever you want. I've been at the library by myself" replies Annie but thinking 'except for the times I've run into Rick but I'm not telling you about that'.
"You're not telling the whole truth Annie. I know it!  I've known you for your whole life.  We're sisters. You can't lie even if you wanted to" retorts Beth jealous that her sister would be spending time with a man that she has laid a claim on.
"Did you say Rick is here?" trying to change the subject and ignoring her sister's nonsense, Annie heads towards the door and smoothing down her hair  "Do I look okay?"
"Why are you asking me?" haughtily replies Beth slamming the door behind her. "Maybe you should find another friend to ask. You're the one with all the secrets."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment