Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

A Journey

Ruth is one of my favorite stories in the Bible.  This is a modern retelling of her story . . . Ruth 1-4

Her hand slides down the white-chipped wooden framed window. So many memories fill that space. The sun brought rays of happiness but rain has fallen hard against the pane too. Many moments of life began in that room but now it was time to go.

As a tear falls she hears a voice calling from the hallway, “Let’s go, the movers are here!”

The journey offers new opportunities. Even though having lost both her sons, Nan encourages her to stay behind with her childhood friends.

But Nan is family now, “Don’t make me leave you. I don’t want to stay. Wherever you go, I’m going with you. My life is with you now. Nothing is going to separate us!”

Nan’s cousin owns his own company. Hired immediately in a temporary job, she is a very hard worker and well-liked.

One day walking through the office and greeting his employees Ben notices her, “Where is she from? What’s her name?”

The foreman replies, “She’s our best worker. She rarely takes a break. Nan’s related to her.”

Ben walks up to her, “I’m hiring you full-time. I’ve told my staff to be helpful and get to know you. Come join us for lunch.”

“Thank you! I’m new in town. I enjoy being here.”

“Well, I’ve heard about you and how you are taking care of my cousin. God will reward and bless you for your kindness and then some.” At lunchtime they sit down and talk as they will for many lunches to follow.

One day Nan said, “Don’t you want to be happy and settle down with someone? Ben is a good man. You need to go to the office party tonight. Buy a new dress, wear perfume, and get your hair done. When Ben is off by himself, go talk to him. Tell him how you feel. Then wait and see what he says. He’ll tell you what to do.”

On the rooftop for a quiet moment to contemplate the stars and his life, Ben doesn’t hear Ruth arrive. Startled he asks, “What are you doing here?”

After talking awhile, Ruth tenderly shares her feelings and also explains that she is interested in marrying again.

He warmly responds, “I love you too! You could have been with anyone but you chose me. Don’t worry about a thing! I’ll do all that you could want or ask.”

No comments:

Post a Comment