Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Marsha's ATM - Exodus 3:1-14

This was written for a class.  It is a modern retelling of scripture in a contemporary setting . . . I tried to be a neutral as possible in a SA setting . . .

(Narrator) Now Marsha Median is a faithful assistant officer of the Dirt Creek corps in West Texas. She had originally been raised by foster parents in the Southeast division but has decided to return to her roots in Texas where she has met and married her husband. She is currently assisting her father-in-law, Major Jet Median at the local corps.


Enjoying the country side and wide open spaces, she decides to drive out in her old blue Dodge Caravan to Armadillo for the upcoming regional human resources conference at Camp Three Twigs.


(Marsha) It’s such a great summer day! It must be about 97 degrees today with no wind, and a lot of humidity. I just love the effervescent beauty of the dry arid highway of the desert. The lovely blue bonnets and cornflowers are in full bloom along the edges of the withered road. In just a little bit I will reach the state capital surrounded by the beautiful azure mountains.


Oh no . . . ! It looks like I’m on empty and I need to get some gas very soon. Well, I don’t see anything. Oh look . . . there’s a blue information sign. It looks like I’m in luck. How amazing! There’s an Exxon station in the middle of nowhere. I can just pull off here for a few minutes and fill up my tank.


Can you believe it? There is no attendant and this gas station only takes cash at the pumps – no credit cards. The only block of Main street that I can see is vacant and deserted. My pocketbook is empty. Where am I going to find a bank around here?
What’s that? Oh look! There’s an ATM across the street. No way! It looks like its on fire! The flames are shooting across the street! I need to find out what’s going on and see what I can do about it!


Hey what a minute, what’s this? The ATM is engulfed in flames and its not burning! It’s not even melting!


(Narrator) Now the Lord sees that Marsha is quickly running over to look at the burning ATM, God calls out to her speaking from the depths of the ATM machine.


(God) “Marsha! Marsha!”


(Marsha) I don’t see anybody. It doesn’t look like anyone is around me . . . Could this machine be talking to me? Hmmmm “uhh . . . Here I am.”


(God) Do not come any closer. Take off your sandals, for the place where you are now standing is holy ground. I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.


(Narrator) Internally acknowledging that God is speaking directly to her, Marsha immediately raises her arm to shield her face from God because she is afraid to look at God.


(God) Marsha, I have seen the misery of my officers in the Northern Territory. I’ve heard them crying out because of their difficult city commanders, insensitive advisory boards, and corrupt leaders, and I am concerned about their suffering.


So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of their current leadership and to bring them out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with honesty, integrity, respect and appreciation.


And now the cries of the soldiers and officers have reached me, and I have seen the way that the current leadership oppresses them. So now, go. I am sending you to the Territorial Commander to speak on behalf of the officers and bring them out from under the suffering that they are currently enduring in their appointments due to the unfair harsh treatment of their leaders.


(Marsha) Who am I? I’m just a new lieutenant. I’ve only been commissioned for a couple of years. I’m the low-gal on the totem pole. Why do you want me to go speak to the Territorial Commander two thousand miles away?


(God) I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you. When the officers are released from their oppression, they will be encouraged. They will worship and fellowship together - united as one body of believers.


(Marsha) What if I go to my fellow session mates and Army friends and say that God has sent me to speak on their behalf and they ask me, “Who do you think you are?” What do you want me to tell them?


(God) I Am who I Am. This is what you need to say, “I Am” has sent me to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment