Search This Blog

Friday, February 15, 2013

Blood and Fire - Chapter Twenty Eight


Hearing some unwanted chords downstairs, Kitty softly grunts “Ughhh” while throwing her pen down on her daily entry of her journal.  Meticulously describing how Louisa and Henrietta sang a beautiful duet at the recent talent show at school, Kitty finds the disconcerting noise is obnoxiously interfering with her concentration.

Reluctantly grabbing one of her multi-colored plastic crates from the corner of the room which normally holds various knickknacks, photos in crafted frames, silk flowers in matching pink vases, a cup of gel pens, and other assorted items, Kitty dumps the eclectic contents throughout her floral green bed spread and promptly transforms the rectangular container into a practical stepping stool.

Throwing her winter knitted scarfs, Lydia’s mixture of wool hats to match each outfit, and assorted mismatched gloves to the side, she finally finds the ultimate goal of her search.  Kitty immediately places the bright red ear muffs over her head and smiles contentedly to herself.

Kitty plops down on her bed again after scooping up the contents back into its haven to be sorted and displayed at a later and more convenient time.  Lost in the world of words, Kitty is oblivious to anything that surrounds her including her sister’s voice of faux fatal emergency.

“Kitty!  Kitty!  Kitty,  you’re not listening to me!” adamantly stands Lydia directly at the foot of the bed  in front of the quilted seated hope chest with hands on her hips. “Kitty!  Take those dumb things off!  I’m talking to you!  It’s 85 degrees today and I don’t know why you are even wearing them!”

Slowly Kitty looks up from her silent world having noticed a pair of blue faded jeans standing in front of her. Speaking loudly unaware of her volume Kitty replies “What do you want?  I’m trying to write!  Go ask Mary, she’s just playing the piano and we all need a break from that!”

Annoyed, Lydia roughly grasps the ear muffs along with some strands of Kitty’s hair and throws them across the room.

“What did you do that for?  I wasn’t bothering you!” whines Kitty holding and rubbing her head reeling from the few seconds of unexpected torture. “What do you want?”

“I’m going to meet Wickham after school and I need your help flat ironing my hair.  I want to make sure every strand is perfectly straight.  I would ask Mary but you remember what happened the last time.  She got busy trying to read some lame book at the same time and didn’t watch all the steam coming off the iron and accidently fried a strand of my hair” shaking her head in disgust at the memory Lydia continues in a voice of consolation “At least you try to pay attention and understand how necessary and important this is to me”.

Kitty agrees and kindly decides to come to her rescue, “At least your orange tan has finally faded.  The salon did a good job of trying to cover it up” and then absent mindedly Kitty asks “Why do you like Wickham anyway?  Isn’t he a little too old for you?”

“He’s in college, and I will be there next year” frankly states Kitty.

“Yes, but he was in the military first and he is at least ten years older than you.  How much do you really know about him?” curiously asks Kitty not sure if Wickham is really interested in her sister or if it is more of an unrequited love situation like last year with John Thorpe.”

“Whatever.  I don’t think he’s that much older. Wickham likes me. I know it” confidently states Lydia with a tone of determination “He is going to like me before Liz returns from visiting with Char.  I’m sure he has already forgotten all about her and is focusing on me!”

“You know, have you tried searching for him on the internet? The internet is full of information and would probably tell you a lot about him, probably even more than Liz knows” suggests Kitty having already looked herself and wondering how to bring up some facts that Lydia might have missed in the quest of her romantic pursuit.

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt.  It would also give me some ammunition in how to win Wickham.  The more that I know the better off I’ll be able to find things that we share in common with each other” muses Lydia “Where’s your phone?”

“Where’s your phone?” counters Kitty not wanting to share her phone with her sister. 

“Well, if you must know it is sitting in a bowl of rice.  While I was applying my makeup Banjo came running up to be petted and his paw scooted my phone right into the toilet” remarks Lydia and then adds with a relieved sigh, “ Fortunately it wasn’t my Estee Lauder eye shadow that I got from the Precise Kit gift box at Women’s Camp last year. Although I could never afford it on my own, I look forward to receiving the makeup every year”.

“Okay, you can use mine as long as you let me try some of that purple eye shadow.  I like that violet shade. I think it would look good with my eyes” admires Kitty as Lydia looks through her makeup bag and hands her the small blue case.

“Let’s see. Intelius seems like a good search engine to find out ages.  I don’t exactly know how old he is. Daniel Wickham” types Lydia “I don’t think this could possibly be him. It lists the right locations where he has lived but it says that he is 31. It lists an Ariel Shepherd Wickham too. She’s only 19.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard him mention anyone by the name of Ariel.  Maybe she is a sister”

“Why would she have Shepherd as her maiden name then? She lives in Kellynch. Her name sounds familiar.  I wonder if she attends Kellynch Hall?” considers Kitty trying to place a familiar but unknown name “Beth Elliot attends that corps. Maybe you could ask her about Ariel the next time you see her at school.”

“Why bother?  I’m sure she is nobody.  It was probably a mistake on the internet” rationalizes Lydia examining her manicure again.

“I don’t think so.  Whatever is on the internet is true. I do all my reports for school with information off the internet. Anyway, he’s so old.  He’s in another decade even two decades from me” observes Kitty “Why would you like him?”

“It just means that he is mature and manly.  He’s ready to settle down with someone and I’m sure that woman will be me” sternly answers Lydia even more determined to set her claim and ignore any red flags that Kitty is attempting to raise.  “He’s picking me up in an hour so we need to get started on my hair”.

“Don’t you want to try and look up some more things?  Maybe you could look on Facebook?” suggests Kitty.

“I’m not worried.  But there is only one thing.  Don’t tell Liz or our parents that I’m going out with Wickham tonight” Lydia more forcefully states “Promise me that it will just be our secret.  If you tell, I’ll tell them about you denting the bumper on “Maud”.  Liz will kill you for damaging her precious car while she has been gone.  You’ve only had your license a week and I don’t think she would be happy to know you are ‘borrowing’ her car.”

“I don’t know how she could tell anyway, she’s backed into so many things. Her bumper has so many different colors on it from brushing against a lot of places” justifies Kitty “remember, she is the one who always pulls through at the grocery store or parks as far away as possible so she won’t back into anyone”.

“Yeah, remember last month when she went over the curb while trying to turn from the lane and hit the ATM at the bank!  That was so funny!  But I don’t think they were too happy about it” reflects Lydia as both girls share a giggle at their older sister’s expense. “I don’t understand how “Maud” wasn’t dented but the ATM looked a little shook up by the incident”.

A few minutes later, Lydia returns from the bathroom in full make-up and a short black miniskirt with a slightly transparent ruby blouse that has a deep ‘v-neck’ in the front.  She is wearing off-black shear hose with stiletto heels.

“Where did you get that blouse?  I don’t remember seeing it before.  I know mom would not have let you buy it.  How are you going to get passed mom and dad in that outfit anyway?” worried asks Kitty “Where did you tell them you are going?”

“We’re just going out to Burger Palace but I want him to see how attractive I am.  I want him to remember me and forget about Liz or whoever that Ariel girl is” emphatically challenges Lydia “The blouse I borrowed from Mary Crawford.  She said I could have it if I want it but I would have to find a way to hide it from mom or she’ll donate it to the thrift store”.

“It still doesn’t answer my question how are you getting out of the house and how are you getting to Burger Palace?” shrewdly asks Kitty wanting to discover what her sister’s attempt at subterfuge will be.

“I’m going to wear my long blue Army uniform coat and put my heels in my community care canvas bag.  They’ll know I’m up to something if they see my heels and then I’ll have to come up with another excuse where I am going.  This way they just think I’m on my way to visit someone at the senior care facility” delightfully pleased with her romantic scheme gushes Lydia “They won’t know a thing.  If I take too long, they’ll just think that I’m being entertained by one of the seniors at the home.”

“I like going to the nursing home, so don’t wreck this for me.  Last week Mrs. Olson’s mother had cookies and sweet tea waiting for me.  I love hearing her stories from when she worked as a SA representative in the USO during World War II.  She use to sing in a big band and helped organize the entertainment on the weekends. She also wrote the soldiers letters of encouragement too.  I could see myself being a lot like her if we had been friends and lived at the same time” dreamily offers Kitty lost in her own thoughts of the many stories of broken hearts and seeing herself in uniform with many young men in military uniform surrounding her with hot coffee and donuts.

“Earth to Kitty” calls Lydia snapping her fingers in front of Kitty’s face “Remember, don’t say a word.  I’m taking Liz’s car.  She won’t know if she is not here. I’ll be back.  Do NOT tell mom and dad where I’m going  or who I am with! They know Wickham so it shouldn’t be a problem anyway except that it is a school night.”

“Ok, I promise.  But you owe me one.  I don’t know for what right now but I will one day” yells Kitty while Lydia is hunched over and largely tiptoeing out of the room clinching her long blue coat at the neck with her black flats and carrying a rather large canvas bag. Kitty rolls her eyes and wonders how her parents could possibly miss Lydia acting suspiciously with that kind-of peculiar behavior.

As she sneaks downstairs, Mary can be loudly heard banging in a series of mishmash chords on the piano. Passing the family room, forgetting her strategy for a moment Lydia raises her neck and shakes her head.  How she wishes Mary would one day learn how to really play the piano rather than just attempting to.

She quietly passes her dad reading the paper in the recliner but quickly comes to a complete halt on hearing his voice “Where are you headed Lydia?” 

“I’m not really going anywhere” replies Lydia forgetting what excuse that she had rehearsed in her mind earlier afraid to lie to her dad.

“It looks like you are at least planning to go outside with that big coat on.  It’s 85 degrees and spring, but I guess if that is what the kids are wearing nowadays you are entitled to play the role of a fool once in awhile and be an active participant in your generation” then more gently Mr. Bennett replies “However, I would advise that you wear something more like spring under the coat. It might get a little too uncomfortable in this heat.“

“I did dad.  Don’t worry.  I’ll be very comfortable in this weather” remarks Lydia “I’m taking Liz’s car to Burger Palace to meet some friends.”

Looking at the community care symbol on the bag and assuming that one of the seniors from the Sunshine Club is going to meet her, Mr. Bennett replies “I hope you have a great time on your visit.  Don’t worry about rushing home.  Some people are lonely and need some company. Smiling at his daughter with deepest admiration for her surprising compassion and care “Have a good night.  I’ll see you later.” 

“Thanks dad!” graciously appreciative replies Lydia believing that somehow he is able to read her mind and that she is meeting Wickham “I won’t be too late.  But don’t worry about me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment