Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Blood and Fire - Thirty Four


“Liz!  We’re here!” knocks Jennings on the apartment door while walking in wearing a psychedelic tie-die t-shirt that states with large embroidered scissors targeted in the middle “Shop, Crop, and Drop is my Motto”. Alice Hammer trails in behind her.  “Oh Jane!  It’s so good to see you!  I’m so sorry to hear that you have to work this weekend and are not able to go with us.  It would be so much fun to have you along too, but I guess we’ll have to settle with just Liz this time.”

While finding a comfortable seat in the rose recliner, Alice Hammer props up her feet and searches for the remote.  She turns on the TV and then grabs the large oversized purse that she has grounded on her lap.  “I know it’s in here somewhere!  I promised Liz that I’d show her what I found at Earl’s Antique Treasures or EAT for short. But I can’t see to find it!”

“That purse is more like a lost Egyptian tomb, there is always something new she discovers that has been there for years” exasperated replies Jennings “at least it has literally anything that you might possibly want or need at the last moment”. 

“No, that’s not it.  Uh… maybe this is it.  Oh, I didn’t know I had that.  Let’s see …. Ouch.  I need to put that away.  Ummmm… is this it?” murmurs Alice Hammer capturing everyone’s attention waiting for her ultimate surprise  “You know, this might be it.” suggests Alice Hammer while digging a little deeper and biting on her top lip to give her strength for the extra searching effort.

“She’ll never find it, it’s a hopeless cause.  Well, maybe in a month or so when she finally dumps out her purse to find something else” states Jennings in a matter-of-fact tone continues “I never like it when they play the treasure hunt game with our purses during Home League.  We’ve started having to put a time limit on how long anyone is allowed to search.  Before then, she won the grand prize for the game every time.”

Looking a little disheveled while taking a second to pause in her search Alice Hammer adds “I always shared my bag of detergent pods with you.  I’ve never heard you complain”.

“You’re right.  I do appreciate smelling like a fresh ocean breeze” gratefully acknowledges Jennings taking a huge whiff of her sweater sleeve to demonstrate for effect.

“I wish that my schedule had worked out differently so that I would have been able to go with you this weekend” remarks Jane feeling a bit sad that she will not be able to spend time with some of her friends. “We have mandatory teacher training with the district tomorrow.  However, I made you some brownies that you can munch on while driving  on your trip this afternoon.”

“That’s very thoughtful of you, Jane” thankfully replies Jennings taking the full and overflowing plate of carefully cut squares covered with clear saran wrap.

“Thank you so much!  Brownies are my favorite!  I love chocolate.  All types of chocolate --any kind of chocolate.  Chocolate bars, chocolate cakes, chocolate chips, chocolate cupcakes, chocolate syrup, chocolate candy, even hot chocolate …. just about anything chocolate” wistfully mumbles Alice Hammer licking her lips in the palpable memories of her daydreams.

“I think Liz is about ready.  She’s finishing packing.  She just came back from Ethel’s Laundromat a few minutes ago.” Informs Jane “but she shouldn’t be that much longer.  She packed all her scrapbooking items in a crate last night”.

“Oh, we took nearly a car load of our things, but we did remember to leave enough space for Liz and her suitcase” replies Alice Hammer with a friendly smile even though she had to leave a few tubs back at home to make enough room for one more person.

“Do you know where you will be staying?” asks Jane unsure of the arrangements for the weekend.

“Well, we’ve been told that we will be billeted out to members of the Pemberley corps for both nights. But we won’t find out where we are staying until we get there.  Although it is a regional event, I really don’t know many people from the Pemberley corps except Darcy and Will Fitz families” contemplatively Jennings adds “Regretfully, they don’t often attend other divisional events other than for the music programs but are more of a self-contained church. But it will be nice to have an opportunity to get to know them better as well as make new friends.”

“I’ve never been to Pemberley.  I don’t think Liz or any of family has ever been.  I hear it is a large corps with many different activities and good leadership.  I wish every corps had that luxury” honestly reflects Jane unable to find a substitute other than the corps officer to teach Girl Guards the following day while she is attending a required work seminar “But I do enjoy the ministry that I have at Longbourne and I feel that I am making a difference in the corps with the girls and also in the community with some of our service projects”.

“What sort-of things have you done lately?” curiously asks Alice Hammer munching on a brownie that she quietly snuck out of the wrapped plate.

“Last weekend we participated in a Zombie crawl to raise awareness for children with infectious diseases.  Next month, we are going to make outfits for stuffed teddy bears that we are giving out to some of the shut-ins who use to be able to attend the corps” replies Jane thinking through her quarterly schedule “The week after that we are participating in a 5k to raise money for breast cancer research.  Last month we made cookies for the police department which one of the girl’s fathers works for.   I’d like the girls to be aware of a world outside of themselves and how they can help to make life a little better for someone else”.

“Sounds like fun.  Life must have balance to be healthy.  Caring for someone else for an hour or so can often bring more maturity than adding another day to a year” Remarks Jennings having experienced many tiny moments of growth in her outlook of life through the years.

“Are you ready?” asks Alice Hammer slamming down the foot rest as Liz struggles entering  the room pulling her suitcase in one hand and in the other a crate full of craft supplies and paper trailing along as well on wheels.

“Yes, I finally think that I am” shuffles Liz trying to maneuver putting on her jacket without having either piece of luggage tip over while they are balancing upright against her knees.

After rearranging the backseat, they each find a comfortable place in the car and head out for the seven hour trip.  Liz contemplates sending Darcy a text letting him know that she will be in town for the weekend, but decides to wait.  She thoughtfully considers “Maybe he’ll find out I’m in town and contact me instead, since I will be at his home corps.  If he wants to see me, he’ll make a way to find me. If he doesn’t make the time, then I know for sure that I need to move on and that he is no longer interested in me” staring out the window and twisting a strand of her hair, sadly considers “Although, I think he’s already told me that even if I don’t want to accept it.”

Finally after several hours of traveling, Jennings, Alice Hammer, and Liz arrive at the Pemberley corps.  It is a large beautiful building decorated in matching carpet whose flecks are in the same rose hue as the pews. The chapel is white with a large oak cross over the pastel stained class that colorfully reflects the sunlight. The crystal clear podium with the etched crest falls into symmetry with the grand piano and mahogany organ.   The stage is set for a 35 piece brass band for members who have grown up in the youth band which has its own practice room as well designed just for them in mind.  The praise team has a see-through shield for their three percussion players, and the stands form a sign of unity along the platform.  Risers are set in the corner for the Songster brigade that provides the offertory twice a month.

Large organized classrooms with plenty of storage and decorative murals line the hallways, one for children’s ministries and another for the adult life skill and Bible study classes with engraved name plates to reflect what activities take place in each location.   At the end is a commercial size kitchen with every modern convenience with a coffee bar as well in the adjoining room for the transition time for fellowship between the Sunday School activities and the morning worship service.  The professional size gym with durable rubber flooring is attached to the building with stadium seating for the basketball teams during the week.  At the end of the main hallway is a large carpeted fellowship hall with floor to ceiling rolling dividers to make smaller meeting rooms when necessary.  

Delicate light reflects through the entire building with plenty of windows and decorative foliage throughout.  Silk coordinated flowers greet each guest in each entryway. The atmosphere is a calming place of tranquility and comfort. Beauty is emulated through every room and corner.

In awe, Liz stands next to the welcoming fountain that such a corps facility could exist. In contrast, Longborne is forty years old and has come unglued at the edges.  A tint of mildew pervades the chapel where once the ceiling tragically leaked before the roof was finally replaced a few years ago and unfortunately soaked the carpet in murky water quite a few inches deep. A few tiles are missing in the classrooms here and there and the chairs are mismatched having been donated from camp to supply desperately needed replacements.  It’s not anywhere near the building she is standing in by comparison.

“Where do we go for registration?” asks Alice Hammer to the lady in a themed coordinated outfit walking towards the kitchen.

“Are you here for scrapbooking?” asks the woman oblivious to the fact they are each dragging large carts and carrying oblong totes of various sizes filled with odds and ends. “My name is Lydia Russell”.

“Yes, we’re here for the whole weekend” exclaims Jennings ready to charge and meet her challenge to finish an entire photo album in the next two days.

“At the end of the hallway before entering the fellowship hall is a registration table.  You will also be able to find out where you are staying if you signed up for that in advance” Lydia Russell explains “I will be back in a moment to help you.  I’m just getting some coffee.”

 Carrying all their things down the eternal hallways, Alice Hammer sounds out of breath, while Jennings takes a break to stretch before pulling her stuff again, and Liz shifts her tote from one hand to another before shuffling her crate to the other hand to pull down the rest of the way.

“So, what are your ladies names?” asks Lydia Russell taking a sip of her favorite flavored coffee from Star Cups and twirling a purple gel pin with her other hand.

“My name is Alice Hammer, and this is Brigadier Martha Jennings from Crestwood who is retired, and we also brought with us our friend, Liz Bennett from Longborne Citadel” explains Alice Hammer trying to catch a glimpse over Lydia Russell’s shoulder to see who else is registered for the regional event.

“Oh …” taken aback Lydia Russell checks their names on the list “It says here that you are staying with Georgianna Darcy” slightly condescending adds in the unlikelihood that this motley crew would know the Darcy family,  “Do you know Ginny?  Are you friends with her?”

“Actually, I’ve never met her” stumbles Liz shocked to be staying at Darcy’s home.

“It states that she even requested that the three of you stay with her” verifies Lydia Russell in her unbelief “Let me check with someone else for a minute to make sure this is correct and an error hasn’t occurred”.

Anxiously Lydia Russell wiggles down the hallway to find another woman who helped organize the registration for the scrapbooking retreat.

“What do you know?  We’re going to be staying at Darcy’s house.  Although, I talked to him earlier this week about helping with scout camp this year and he told me that he would be out of town for a business conference this weekend.  So unfortunately, we won’t be seeing him, but at least we’ll get to see Ginny again.  It’s been years” remarks Jennings delighted at the recent opportunity of meeting another Sunbeam from a previous appointment many years ago.

“Evidently, the registration is correct as stands.  Ginny Darcy has asked that the three of you stay with her this weekend” smugly replies Lydia Russell handing the small decorated index card to Liz “Here is her address and phone number.  She will meet you at 8 pm following the devotional time.”

For a moment, Liz stares at the card for a moment unable to comprehend that she will be unexpectedly staying in Darcy’s home.  Silently thinking “At least he won’t be there.  I won’t have to face him.  But it still would have been wonderful to see him again if he had been in town.”

Carefully Jennings picks out a comfortable spot at a large round table with plenty of light to see more clearly.  Alice Hammer sorts through her five tubs, 1 suitcase, and assorted three-drawer bins for easy access to utensils and supplies.  Liz sets out her paper, adhesive, scissors, and notebook of various collages of paper designs that she bought on clearance the day before.

Looking through her photos, Jennings comments “I just loved Israel.  It’s the best trip I’ve ever been on and a learned a whole lot too.  Wished that I had gone in my younger years and not waited until I was middle-aged.  It’s been over thirty years ago since my husband and I went.  I found these in an old tub in my garage.  I’ve been meaning to put them in a photo album for the last ten but never got around to it.”

“Let me see” asks Alice Hammer taking the stack of photos from Jenning’s hand “Remember my husband, Fred and me were also on that trip with you when we were all still officers? “

“Do you miss being an officer?” innocently asks Liz surprised by this new revelation while pasting a small pink silk flower to a page in her cut-out book.

“No, not really …. I certainly don’t miss the politics and some of the other nonsense.  I have found my own worthwhile ministry at the Crestwood corps over the years and have often felt God using me while serving Him there.”

“I missed you and Fred coming to officers councils with me the most” states Jennings joking “I didn’t have anyone to get in trouble with once you left, I had to wait until I retired once again”.

“Anyway, about that Israel trip.  I didn’t know anything about mechanics or electronics – whatever it is called.  Being able to do a live recording of something that was happening was new except for in the movies” explains Alice Hammer taking a bite of her cheese and crackers.

“I remember those.  I think that I still have mine out in the garage somewhere” contemplates Jennings making a note to sort through her fifty years of tubs when she finally gets around to it.

“You know what my husband did?   Mind you, this was thirty years ago when the VHS video camera recorder came out and it was quite the new thing although it was the size of a small shoe box” explains Alice Hammer “My husband Fred told me that if I turn the camera on the side it will give us a better angle for our movies and we will see more of the beautiful scenery.  What I didn’t know is that we would all have to lie down on the floor to watch on movies on the TV because the picture was sideways.  Can you imagine watching 11 hours of video tapes on your side every Easter?”

“That would be awful!” exclaims Liz without thinking.

Pleasantly amused Alice Hammer continues “It ended up being a family tradition of laying large pillows on the floor with plenty of popcorn and sweet tea each year.  I have many fond memories of that time”.

A few hours later, Jennings suggests “Why don’t we try some stamping?  I have these blank cards that I bought in a kit a few years ago that I haven’t used yet.”

“I’ve not done stamping before other than to stamp the back of a check at Christmas time during kettles.  Is it very difficult?” asks Alice Hammer ready to try and learn something different.

“No, it’s quite easy.  You’ll learn in a minute” encourages Jennings passing out the inking supplies to Liz and her across the table.

After a few minutes, Liz turns to Alice Hammer watching her scratch her forehead but then returning to concentrate on her own work “You seem like you might be a bit lost”.

Alice Hammer rubs her chin and gently wipes her nose away from the fumes of the ink.  “I’m not sure this craft is for me.  Are these ink pads washable?”

Focusing on her project, Jennings answers without looking up, “I think so but the darker green that you’ve been using is a bit more difficult to get off my hands in my experience.  It usually takes a few washings before it starts to fade.”

“I think that I’m having a little difficulty seeing” wiping her eyes Alice Hammer continues “I might need to take a break for a little while.  I’ve been working for four hours straight.”

As Liz finishes off her card by blowing on it trying to smooth the edges where she has trimmed it with ink dry faster, she gazes over at Alice Hammer and tries to suppress a smile.  “I think you may want to go to the ladies room for a moment” kindly suggests Liz “I’ll go with you.”

“Yes, I suppose it’s time I took a break” closing the green ink pad so it won’t dry out, Alice Hammer stands up from her seat. 

Jennings finally looks up and stares at Alice Hammer “Alice, do you know what you’ve done?”

“What do you mean?” asks Alice Hammer glancing at her hands for the first time which are entirely covered in shades of red, blue, and green ink.

“You have ink on your forehead, your chin, your nose, and a handprint on your cheek where evidently you rested your head for a moment!” inspects Jennings shaking her head “I don’t know how long that green is going to stay on either!”

As they are laughing at the table, a young woman very fashionably dressed and put together walks up to their table and begins with a warm and friendly “Hi!  I’m Ginny Darcy and I welcome you our Pemberley corps.  I don’t know if you remember me Brigadier Jennings, but I was your faithful Sunbeam many years ago.  The three of you, if you are not hanging around for the all-nighter sessions, will be staying at my home for the weekend.”

No comments:

Post a Comment