Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

Blood and Fire - Chapter Forty Three


 “Where is Jane?” impatiently asks Mary carrying her trombone case with red folder of music to practice at some later date “She left before we even finished that piece and I haven’t seen her since.”

“She’s fine” confirms Liz as if keeping a sweet secret “I think she has her own ride home this afternoon.”

“I want to get back home.  They are doing an all day series on the tribes of West Kenya that I do not want to miss on the National Geographic channel” explains Mary “I’d like to use the information to share with my Sunday School class about World Services this week.”

“I’m sure that you’ll be back in time for it” assures Liz curiously looking around to see if she can find Darcy anywhere to thank him for everything in helping her younger sister “I’m going into the Fellowship Hall for the box lunches.  Are you coming with me?”

“Yes, I suppose so.  I’ll be there in a minute, save a place for me.  I want to help Emma Knightly sort through the music since she is the librarian for the band.  I have offered to be her assistant but I have yet to be given the local officer commission yet” explains Mary rather proud of her rather eccentric organizational skills “I have a better file system which I think we will be more appropriately beneficial to everyone.”

“What are you thinking?” cautiously curious asks Liz hoping that at the next rehearsal she will be able to locate all of her music.

“Well, as you know composers have their own style of music.  I thought that I would organize it by the style of the generation of which it sounds like.  I’ve come up with the following categories so far. For instance, swing pieces would be grouped together, patriotic anthems, gospel hymns, marches for United Meetings, reflective pieces, unusual tunes, and ‘other’ for anything I can’t explain or do not like.”

“Why would you put pieces that you do not like in the ‘other’ category?” asks Liz a little concerned about the response.

“It’s obvious isn’t it?  If I don’t like it or if it is too difficult for me to play then it will make it harder for Captain Brandon to find” thoughtfully explains Mary proud of her ingenuity.

“Don’t you think he will catch on soon?  How are you putting together the directory for the other pieces?” skeptically asks Liz envisioning a future rehearsal of utter chaos as members try to find the identical piece to play in their folders using the new system.

“How else? I will sort it by the publishing date.  Numbers are much easier to remember than words any day” frankly states Mary “Like most people for example,  I have a difficult time remembering  the correct title to a book or the author, but ask me what year some event happened, and I know right away. I think this same theory should work well with the band music too.”

“Good luck with that” sarcastically offers Liz hoping to give Emma a heads up about this new proposal during the break time so that Mary can be deferred to a different harmonious volunteer project for the band.

Entering the Fellowship Hall, Liz looks around and observes Darcy sitting across the room talking with her dad.  She’s excited that they seem pleasantly animated during the conversation.  Her mother is in the kitchen helping to serve the dessert.

As she starts to walk towards the table that is now being joined by other family members, Major Debourgh steps rather firmly in front of her and blocks her way. 

“Ms. Bennett, I would like to speak to you privately” commands Major Debourgh in a tone that is adamant that it will be obeyed.

“Uh … okay.  Would it be already if we talked after lunch?  I didn’t have breakfast this morning” explains Liz looking for an excuse to avoid any type of confrontation which appears will be taking place soon for some unknown reason “Is everything all right with my friends?”

“Yes, of course it is.  Collins is fine and his wife manages herself well.  I want to speak to you about your behavior” smugly informs Major Debourgh “Everyone has noticed you flaunting yourself and Darcy.  This needs to stop immediately.”

“I’m not throwing myself at anyone.  How can you say that?” confused asks Liz but with a tone of anger as the accusation sets in “I don’t know what you are talking about.  I haven’t even spoken to Darcy for over a month.”

“He’s here and so are you” confirms Major Debourgh as if being in the same building is proof of guilt.

“Yes, he is and so am I” nonchalantly agrees Liz not liking that they are standing in the middle of the Fellowship Hall for others ears to take notice “A lot of people are here today for music rehearsals from all over the division.”

“But he came to see you!” informs Major Debourgh raising her voice “I saw the way he was looking at you during the rehearsal.  There is a secret between the two of you and you need to put an end to it.”

“If anything existed like that, why would I stop being around him because you didn’t like it?” defiantly states Liz more than a little confused why this conversation is taking place in the first place “What does it matter to you if I talk to him or not?”

“It matters to my daughter, Anne.  She has been in love with him for years.  All her friends know that she has liked him and you are making a fool of her” angrily explains Major Debourgh “She has a right to be with him.  She knew him first.  You just came along and flirted with him.  You messed up his mind.  They should be together.”

“Frankly, I think he is a man and old enough to make up his own mind who he chooses to share his life with.  Whether it is me or anyone else, it is his choice and shouldn’t depend on who ‘knew him first’” frustrated states Liz not sure why this argument is occurring “I’ve heard my middle school teens in Girl Guards have the same rational and you’re daughter is quite a bit older than that!  I think it is time for her to grow up and face reality. If he doesn’t want to be with her that is his prerogative and he shouldn’t be battered into being forced to be with someone which he has no affection for just because she knew him longest.”

“If you weren’t in the way, Anne would be with him right now!” adamantly demands Major Debourgh blocking her way as Liz attempts to move away from her to end the conversation but at this statement Liz looks her squarely in the eyes. “I’ve had plans for years that my daughter and Darcy would be married one day.  You are dashing my hopes of their future union.”

“If he loved you daughter, it wouldn’t matter if I were standing next to him or on the moon.  He would be with her.  He’s has had years to choose to be with Anne and has decided by his own will not to be” clearly states Liz as tears form in her eyes “That decision has nothing to do with me.  But it does have everything to do with your daughter and his perception of her that has been formed over the years by their acquaintance.”

“You didn’t help anything by flirting with him so much!” debates Major Debourgh “If you hadn’t thrown yourself at him, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

“I didn’t throw myself at anyone.  If he wants to be with me, I’m happy to be with him.  I don’t even know if that is a possibility.  You are viciously accusing me of things that have not happened!” retorts Liz feeling that this personal defamation of her character is uncalled for considering the circumstances “I’m finished.  I don’t have anything else to say to you!”

“Will you promise not to pursue Darcy anymore?” firmly asks Major Debourgh “You really don’t deserve him.”

Her eyes filled with tears steam as Liz vehemently begins to speak “Deserve someone?  How does someone actually deserve anyone? Everyone has faults as well as those wonderful things that make them the unique individuals that they are.  If he loves me, he takes me as I am and I will love him the way he is -- just because I want to and because he wants to be with me --- mistakes and all!”

In response Major Debourgh with her hands on her hips glares at Liz as if a stand down at high noon in an old western town. Defiantly, Liz returns the constant stare and then moves to the side walking away from her nemesis.

As Liz considers the conversation, she wonders how much the idea of being Darcy’s wife was actually Anne’s idea or her mother’s since they have so little in common with each other.   They only share old memories of a friendship as children to, keep any connection with each other.  She suspects that Anne’s interest has been purposely encouraged by her mother because of her own personal motives of status and recognition. Liz glances over to Darcy across the room next to her father and wonders “I don’t even know that he likes me.  At least he is good to my family and hopefully will be able to keep him as a friend through all of this nonsense.”

Since the conversation lasted much longer than expected, no seats are left at her family’s table.  She finds a comfortable spot next to Ellen and Ted Ferris to share her meal.   In a moment, Jennings joins them “So how is everybody doing? Liz, you look a little worse for wear.”

“I’m okay.  It’s just been a long day” shares Liz taking a small bite of her club sandwich from a local deli  and feeling  a little discouraged as she notices Anne finding a seat that was recently abandoned by Kitty next to Darcy at his table “I probably won’t stay too much longer.”

Having observed and intentionally overhead some of the conversation Jennings wisely offers  “Liz, some moments are meant to give us a new outlook on life whether through events that can determine our joy, anger, disappointment, or hope.   Our response to situations can have the potential to build such things as character, integrity, values, and define us as individuals. In life most of the time you can’t change what happens to you, but you can choose to determine what it will make of you.”

After a moment of contemplating what Jennings told her, Liz slowly smiles back at her “I wish that I knew what to do with this moment.”

A few minutes later, Alice Hammer comes up talking to them munching on a piece of cake with a bit of bright blue frosting remaining on her lip, “This is the best cake ever!  I need to find the recipe and try it at home.”

“Liz, I didn’t mean to overhear, but unfortunately my ears are not deaf enough when I would like them to be and not clear enough when I need to understand something” apologizes Alice Hammer smacking her lips to finish off the icing “sitting in the corner in the second cornet row, I have a good view of the band and what happens. I just love musical romances.  Sometimes for fun I imagine myself as the heroine in my own story of lost love”.

In response Jennings interrupts and confirms to the rest of the group “Yes, I’ve heard some of these silly so-called love stories.  I particularly remember the last one, of an old retired corps sergeant major riding up in a disaster truck to rescue you and the rest of us from a chili cook-off at Home League camp. ”

Looking at her, Alice Hammer’s lips thin as her eyes narrow towards Jennings, “As I was saying, I noticed that Darcy was looking at you all during lunch and throughout the rehearsal.  I hope you don’t mind my sharing, but I think Major Debourgh might be somewhat off in her assumptions about her daughter.  In all the years that I’ve known Darcy, I don’t recall him ever giving the impression that they would be any more than friends.  You are not interrupting anything except perhaps a few false hopes or expectations.”

After the rehearsal, as Liz heads toward Maud in the parking lot, she hears familiar footsteps behind her walking along the gravel and smiles to herself at the memory.

“Liz, do you have a moment?” asks Darcy catching up with her as she reaches for her car door “I’ve been wanting to talk with you all day but every time something or someone was in the way”.

“I’ve been meaning to talk with you too.  I wanted to thank you for everything you did for Lydia.  It was so thoughtful and kind of you.  I don’t know how my family can ever repay you” sincerely offers Liz “You will always have a place in our family.”

“Well, although I’m glad that everything worked out well.  I didn’t do it for Lydia’s sake” swallowing and gathering courage Darcy continues “I hope you don’t mind, but I did what I did for you and myself”.

In return Liz looks directly at him to intuitively read his motive for saying what it appears that he is implying. “I don’t know what to say.  Your thoughtfulness was really unexpected but deeply appreciated.”

Finding a second wind of courage, Darcy replies “Liz, I know that we talked a long time ago and things didn’t end very well between us.  If you feel the same way as before, please stop me before I start again. I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable.  I’m glad that we are at least friends again.”

“I’m not stopping you.  If you must know, I felt the same way as you did before but unfortunately, I misunderstood what you were trying to say to me and then I was offended before I had a chance to really think through what was actually being said” nervously shares Liz shaking slightly at her confession “I thought you were telling me that you weren’t interested in me or at best making fun of me.”

“I wasn’t doing either one.  I was trying to let you know how much you meant to me but it didn’t come across like I expected it to” humbly explains Darcy “my intentions meant well by my execution proved to be somewhat lacking in explaining my true feelings.”

As Darcy leans closer to her and touches her arm, Liz looks at him again and recognizes their mutual feelings for each other. “When you left so quickly after hearing about Lydia and then I didn’t hear from you for quite awhile, I thought that you had changed your mind about me again.”

“I’ve never changed my mind.  I was just giving you some space as I helped your sister.  I wanted to give you answers rather than just hope” explains Darcy putting his arm around her “I’m here for you as long as you want me to be.”

“Hmmm … that’s a nice offer.  What if I didn’t give you a deadline?” anxiously teases Liz “I might like keeping you around for company.”

“Well, you’re definitely not losing me this time and I rather like the idea of finding myself next you for a very long time” flirts Darcy in return as he tenderly confirms his loving promise to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment