Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Blood and Fire - Chapter Forty


 “Darcy seemed very nice last night” remarks Jane brushing her hair “I think that you haven’t told me everything.”

“We’re really good friends and I enjoy being with him” honestly replies Liz a little anxious to say too much in case her sister feels compelled to tease her about it.

“It’s very sweet that he came” considers Jane but a little more forlornly “I wish that some of his other friends might have been able to make it.  But I’m sure they have very busy schedules.  A birthday party probably is not very high on an agenda list of things to do.”

“Did you invite anyone?” curiously asks Liz wondering if Darcy has recently talked to Bingley.

“Only Caroline who said she would pass the message along to see if anyone else wanted to come with her” sadly answers Jane “Evidently no one wanted to come.  She sent a text that they were all too busy and would try to come another time. She said Darcy and she were going to be together yesterday but that couldn’t have been true because he was here with you.”

“Maybe something came up and he changed his mind” thoughtfully considers Liz wondering if he had other plans but made the choice to be with her instead or the other option that Caroline was just trying to stir-up doubt so Liz would distance herself from him.

“Well, whatever happened he decided to be here with you instead” happily acknowledges Jane putting her brush away in her purse looking for her lipstick.

“Liz, look at your phone!” anxiously states Jane searching through the list “I have a ton of texts from Kitty.”

“I do too.  But Darcy just sent me one that he’ll be here in an hour.  I wonder what is going on?” skeptically asks Liz “She probably just forgot a bracelet again at the corps last night and is panicked because she can’t find it”.

“I’ll call her” softly returns Jane used to this scenario with her younger sisters “It’s probably nothing, but obviously Kitty is upset. Maybe I can let her borrow some of my jewelry until she can find whatever is missing”.

“I’m going to pick up things around here” responds Liz “I want our apartment looking at its best since it’s his first time here”.

Quickly and methodically Liz begins to straighten things around the apartment and spraying the room with floral air freshener so that it smells more like  a garden then the garlic and basil that it usually does.

Stunned in silence, Jane walks out of her bedroom.  “Liz, I need to talk to you.  Would you sit down for a minute?”

“We don’t have much time.  Just let me finish dusting and I can talk” nervously replies Liz spraying the cloth again for the hundredth time to dust off the dining room table.

“I think this is important” unusually firm replies Jane “The dusting can wait.”

“What is it?” asks Liz staring down the mirror in the living room that needs a few fingerprints removed with Windex “I don’t have much time.  Darcy is going to be here in any minute! I could use your help too.  What did Kitty want?”

Taking a deep breath, Jane looks up at her sister not knowing how to tell her the news.  “It’s Lydia.”

“Ok, what has Lydia done to herself this time?  Did she trying tanning again or do something crazy with her hair?” snidely replies Liz rolling her eyes and taking one last wipe off the end table.

“I think this might hurt your feelings some. Lydia has done something very stupid.  I don’t know how you feel about Wickham anymore either” seriously replies Jane taking her sister’s hand.

“What are you talking about?  You look so serious.  I don’t have any feelings where Wickham is concerned.” Honestly remarks Liz “I’m not sure that I ever did.  He was nice but not my type.”

“I’m glad to hear that but it’s awful!” weeps Jane breaking down into tears “Lydia ran away with him last night!”

“What?  She did what?” exclaims Liz in disbelief “What was she thinking?  Where is she?”

“Kitty said that they don’t know but she left with Wickham after the party.  She told Kitty that she was going to leave with him about an hour before the party was over.  Evidently they went back to the house and picked up all her things and then took off with him” carefully explains Jane “I know that she has been obsessed with Wickham but I didn’t think she would run off with him!”

“I feel so bad! I should have warned her but I thought she would be over him in a few weeks as soon as someone else came in the picture like all of her other crushes” reluctantly considers Liz “You know, she barely likes anyone more than a month and then she sets her focus elsewhere!”

“She’s just a kid.  Yesterday she turned 18.  What does she know about life yet?  She hasn’t even paid a bill except maybe her cell phone and car insurance” remarks Jane “And she even still owes me some from what she borrowed last month to buy a new pair designer shoes that she thought she couldn’t live without!”

“Wickham knows what he is doing” frankly observes Liz “This isn’t his first time to take off with a young  girl.”

“What are you talking about?” asks Jane “He’s only liked you and Lydia from what I know.”

“She isn’t the only one”, sadly replies Liz “Considering my friend’s situation, I’ve had time to think about it for awhile. I think he just likes the power over them and the sincere devotion that a young girl offers without any requirements or expectations from him.  He thrives off of her immaturity, selfishly taking from her everything that he can, and she naively adores him in return.”

“Doesn’t sound like a great relationship to me at all.   Definitely not anything I would want” firmly remarks Jane glad that she has distanced herself from Bingley to allow him time to miss her and to realize that she is the one that he wants to be with “What are we going to do though?  She’s with him now wherever that is!”

“Everybody is going to talk so much!  The Army is like a fishbowl where gossip is concerned. One little seed of information is covered so much with slime and mold that the truth is simply forgotten and overlooked” sadly remarks Liz “I don’t know why people have to talk so much.  I think they must like the power of how much their words can hurt and destroy someone whether what they are sharing is the truth or in reality only a pebble of what’s left in the mountain of truth.”

“This is going to ruin Lydia’s reputation.  It will probably ruin our name too” responds Jane “Why would she do such a thing?  Why couldn’t she wait until she graduated if she wanted to be with him?”

The doorbell rings.  With a look of panic, Liz wipes her eyes and straightens her clothes heading over to the door.

“Hello!  How is everyone?” asks Darcy hiding a spring bouquet of flowers behind his back  and then taking a deeper look into Liz’s eyes “Is everything all right?”

Unable to hold back tears, Liz starts to cry again “Something terrible has happened. I’m not sure what to do about it … Lydia has run off with Wickham last night.”

“Oh.  Do you know where she is?” sincerely asks Darcy “Has anyone heard from them?”

“Kitty talked to Lydia just before she left.  It had to do with something Lydia Russell said to them at the party.  Kitty couldn’t remember everything but something about Lydia Russell’s lawyer and his daughter, Ariel Shephard” slowly explains Jane wiping tears from her eyes as she’s speaking “She wasn’t sure but it sounded like he was still married to Ariel.”

“I figured as much” quietly whispers Darcy under his breath setting the bouquet of flowers on the table “Liz, I brought these for you.  But I’m going to have to cancel our day together.  I will call you later.”

“Ok” states Liz as she watches Darcy turn to leave and exit the door.  Her heart breaks as she watches him walk away when she needs him so much right now.

In response Jane watches Darcy leave and puts her arm around Liz’s shoulders comforting her sister, “He’ll be back.  Maybe he just had things to do today that he forgot about.”

“He’s gone.  Lydia has managed to destroy us by her impulsiveness. Everyone is going to be talking about us now.  He won’t want to have anything to do with me once this is over” dejectedly sulks Liz wishing that the day was only a dream rather than a harsh reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment