Search This Blog

Monday, March 4, 2013

Blood and Fire - Chapter Thirty Six


“Ready Alice?” yells Jennings up the large grand staircase checking her large oversized purple striped bag for extra items that she decided to bring along this morning.  She pulls out her matching orchid zebra trimmed reading glasses holding them up to the light wiping off the left over smudges with a soft blue cloth.  Her coordinated lavender t-shirt of choice for the day reads “The Scrap Chick” with small  parade of chickens all decorated in patchwork outfits holding scissors, tape, glue, etc.

In a few moments, Alice Hammer excitedly hops down the stairs but gently trips on a loose shoe string on the last step, “Ohhh… I wish that I could figure out a way to keep these new laces tied!” shaking her head while reaching down to her brightly glittered translucent lime shoelaces.

“What do you have in your hair?” suspiciously asks Jennings leaning over for a closer look but without her classes on and in need of some magnification “It looks like you have a leaf or something stuck in your hair” attempting to pull it out.

“Be careful.  I made a new headband to match my outfit theme today” Alice Hammer looks up at Jennings tenaciously squinting at her  “I think that you’re staring at the quilted daisy that I added” patting her head proud of her creative achievement  “Do you like the pink and magenta shamballa beads too?  I had to spend some time with the hot glue gun this morning which is why I am running a little late.  But I don’t think it has entirely finished drying before I put my headband on.  I tried to adjust it a little in the mirror and I think the glue dried and attached itself to my wig” then adding smiling at her ingenuity, ”Oh well, I’ll have one to keep that is already accessorized.”

Hearing the conversation, Darcy walks in and joins them with a thermos of coffee in his hand “How are you ladies this morning?  Did you have breakfast yet?  Did you get some coffee or tea?” graciously asks Darcy pleased to see his friends.

“Oh yes, we’ve already had breakfast a few hours ago” explains Alice Hammer “Jennings was up at 5 pm doing her devotions on the deck while trying out some of your flavored coffees.  By the way, I really like your Alamo coffee machine’.

Politely Jennings looking directly at Alice Hammer corrects her “Tassimo”.

“Oh yes, ‘Tableau’” affirms Alice Hammer with a smile “I had four cups to try a few different flavors, but I think that I might have overdone it, I’m a little wired and shaky from my experiment.  But they tasted wonderful!”

“I think you meant to say, ‘Tassimo’ ” again corrects Jennings grabbing her large striped bag swinging it to add momentum around her shoulder.

“I’m not so good with names.  I’ll have to remember to remind myself to call it, “Trousseau”, the next time” informs Alice Hammer intentionally trying to memorize the right name of the appliance.

Surrendering and in awe, Jennings blankly stairs at her friend that she has known for decades, “Call it whatever you like.  I at least I know what you are talking about after all these years.”

“I’m glad you liked the coffee, I’ll have some waiting for you when you get back this evening.  Have you seen Liz this morning?” asks Darcy anxious to talk with Liz again.

“Yes, she was out on the porch upstairs outside her room watching the sunrise.  I could see her from where I was on the deck.  She was taking some photos” offers Jennings “I’m sure she’ll be down in just a little while.  The beauty of a miracle comes quite unexpectedly sometimes, and it’s always best to take a moment to reflect and enjoy it.  Well, Alice and I have a long day ahead of us and we better get going.  I forgot that Ginny has been out in the car waiting for us so we better go.  I hope the two of you have a great day together!” wishes Jennings winking her eye with a knowledgeable smile.

A few minutes later, Liz makes her way towards the kitchen where the breakfast scent of eggs and crisp hot bacon with warm biscuits are filling the air. “This smells delicious!”

“I thought that you might something more substantial than toast before heading to zoo” offers Darcy bringing over a glass of orange juice to her at the table.

“Thank you.  I’ll have to make breakfast tomorrow, but to be safe I might just try cereal.  At least I know that I can’t burn it” smiles Liz spreading melted butter on a biscuit “I wish that I had learned how to cook, but every attempt seems to be doomed to failure”.

“What are your favorite animals at the zoo?” asks Darcy wanting to discover even the tiniest details about her interests.

“I like the giraffes probably the most.  Monkeys are another favorite too.  The giraffes are graceful and elegant animals, nurturing towards their children, and seem quite creative in finding ways to reach for things that they want” remembers Liz “The last time I was at the zoo, one baby Giraffe called “Molly” reached over the fence into the Caribou’s cage and shared some of their lunch from the trough. What animals do you like the most?”

“I’ll have to think about that one.  Probably, the Orangutans because they seem patiently observing everything that is going on around them” considers Darcy politely wiping his mouth with his napkin and laying it down again in his lap to catch future crumbs “Also, they like hanging out in trees and taking it easy munching on a mango which unfortunately unlike me I don’t have a chance to do very often.”

“Are you ready?” asks Darcy as Liz moves the empty plates into the dishwasher “If it sounds all right with you, we’ll catch lunch while out this afternoon”.

“I just need to grab my coat, I’ll be back down in a minute” informs Liz rushing upstairs for a last minute make-up check and to run a brush through her hair.

On the way to the zoo, Darcy turns the radio on to his favorite station while enjoying the feeling of comfort and familiarity of having Liz near to him again. He has missed her so much during these last few weeks of silence.  He wonders if there is any hope that she has changed her mind and might consider him again.  The conversation is easy and they talk about everything that comes to mind except how they are feeling even though the reticent question is not far from their thoughts.

As they walk by the pelican pond, Darcy moves closer to Liz.  As they observe the various shades of the birds, Liz places her hand on the iron bar to protect them and remarks, “It’s amazing how long they are able to stand in one spot without moving.  I don’t think that I could stand that long on one foot”.

In response, Darcy places his hand on top of Liz’s hand resting on the bar, “I don’t understand it either.  Maybe it’s just because they have found a comfortable spot and can’t see beyond the bushes to find someplace else better to explore.”

Feeling the warmth of his hand, Liz entwines her fingers with his for a moment.  Walking away feeling that this is a new beginning, Darcy places his arm around her shoulder as Liz nuzzles in and finds a comfortable place to wrap her arm around his waist to continue their leisurely walk through the zoo.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment