Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Blood and Fire - Chapter Thirty Eight


“Kitty hurry up!” orders Mary frantically rushing down the aisle looking amidst the princess decorations “Lydia wants some sangria crinoline to decorate the fellowship hall and I still can’t find any!”
“I think we might have better luck at a fabric store” suggests Kitty “Too bad it’s not Halloween, we might be able to find all kinds of different shades”.
“Obviously it is not October, it’s only March the last time I checked the calendar” factually states Mary “There are still eight months to go”.
Annoyed by her sister’s typical sensory perceptions, Kitty stands behind her and rolls her eyes over to the strangers next to her looking at the Strawberry Shortcake matching plates and napkins hoping for confirmation, “I know that.  I was just thinking of all the costumes.  Usually crinoline is used for making slips for southern bell or princess dresses.  I’ve been thinking that I would like to be Scarlett O’Hara next year.  What do you think?”
Mary frowns at her and starts to pretend that she doesn’t know her while walking away to another section of the aisle. 
In response Kitty throws her hand backwards against her forward as if in the process of fainting and loudly mimics “Oh Mary, please don’t go!  You can’t leave me!  Please!  I’ll never forgive you!”
The child and mother standing next to Kitty giggle amused by the sibling conversation which only spurs Kitty to further dramatics.
“Kitty, where are you?” asks Mary searching to find her sister again who has disappeared into the wedding section to catch up on her daydreams “I need your help to find the rest of the things on Lydia’s list. I don’t know why she chose to have a Southern Belle themed party.  It’s difficult to find things for it.”
Placing her hands on her waist Kitty exclaims “I can’t think of that right now.  If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll have to think of that tomorrow.”
“Stop your nonsense, Kitty, we don’t have tomorrow. ” demands Mary shaking her head “I need to find a plastic dipper for the punch bowl.  Dad decided to use the last one for his goldfish in the fish tank.”
“Fiddle-de-dee.  I’ve never heard of such nonsense” copies Kitty with a twinkle in her eye gracefully moving her arms around her face and stroking her cheek with the back of her hand as if she lived two centuries ago.
“Why are you looking at this marriage stuff anyway?” asks Mary entirely not understanding any practical value of looking at the wedding bubble bottles considering Kitty’s age “You don’t need that any of that anyway. You don’t even have a boyfriend!”
Throwing her hand back in an act of mock desperation, Kitty expounds “My life is over. Nothing will ever happen to me anymore.”
“Whatever.  Kitty, you’re not making any sense today” states Mary pulling out the long list of items to be found and purchased “I think that we’ll try Fashion Fabrics on Main Street.  They might have something at least similar to the color that Lydia is looking for.”
“How could you do this to me? And, why should you go now that it’s all over and I need you” intensely adds Kitty and then with extra fervor furrowing her brow to Mary’s annoyance pleading with her hands,  “Why? Why?”
“Kitty, have you lost your mind?  We’re only going to the next store because we have to since they don’t have what we need here” frankly explains Mary completely missing the mark and to her sister’s delight “Come on.  I think that we’re done here”.
“Oh Mary!” giggles Kitty following along after her out the front doors “Maybe it’s because I have always had a weakness for lost causes, once they are really lost. Maybe I’m ashamed of myself, who knows?”
“What are you talking about?” confused Mary finally turns towards her “Really Kitty, you don’t need to be worried about not finding everything Lydia wants for her birthday party.  We can only do our best.”
Amused by her older sister and having a little fun, Kitty waves to strangers in the parking lot with her very rehearsed beauty queen wave strutting as only a southern belle might do with a very cheesy smile.
While unlocking the car door Mary asks “Do you want to get something for lunch?” but then looks up and watches her sister acting rather strangely walking in the parking spot next to the other side of the car “What are you doing?”
“I can’t let it go. I won’t let it go while there is one breath left in my body.  As God is my witness, they’re not going to lick me! I’m going to live through this and when it’s all over I’ll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat, or kill” and then raising her fist to the sky for special effect Kitty promises “As God is my witness I’ll never be hungry again!”
Slightly ignoring her sister due to being quite use to her peculiar antics Mary states “I don’t know what you are talking about but there’s a new BBQ place just around the corner, how does that sound if you’re ready to eat?”
“I’m going to have a good time today and do my eating at the barbeque! I know he likes to see a girl with a good appetite!”, playfully smirking Kitty glides into the car as she pretends to adjust her petticoat as if entering an imaginary carriage.
“Who’s going to like your appetite?  Who are you talking about?  I can’t figure you out today” frankly states Mary turning on the ignition puzzled by her sister’s behavior and conversation which she has half-way listened to for the last hour due to concentrating on all the details on her shopping list that need to be accomplished today.
“After lunch, I think I’ll drop you off at the house” suggests Mary feeling that she might find what she needs more quickly without Kitty “You might feel better if you lay down for awhile.”
“Home! I’ll go home.  I’ll think about him tomorrow.  After all, tomorrow is another day!” exclaims Kitty bursting with pleasure after Mary looks at her raising a lip and squinting her eyes in utter confusion.
“Well, I guess you can come with me tomorrow if you’d like to” replies Mary grabbing the bag of party items out of the backseat and wondering how everything will come together for the event.
“How did you girls enjoy shopping together today?” asks Mr. Bennett “Mary, did you accomplish all of your tasks? Was every item checked off your list with precision? Kitty, did you find many things to dream about one day owning once you are moved out of the house and on your own?”
“Kitty wasn’t much help today but we did find most of the things we needed” calmly replies Mary “She was prattling on about some guy, being hungry, and didn’t want to leave the store until we had everything.”
Kitty looks at her sister in stunned disbelief “Mary, I was quoting Scarlett O’Hara all day.  You didn’t notice?” ultimately more disappointed that her acting talents did not bring up more glorious images of Vivian Leigh, than that they were actually not understood in context “What did you think I was talking about then?”
“Who knows… you and Lydia are always talking about some boy or another.  I can’t keep up with you. How was I suppose to know you were quoting some old movie?” frankly states Mary a bit miffed that her sister was playing a joke on her all day which she entirely missed “If you had been quoting Paula Deen or Bobby Flay I might have understood you.” 
“Jane and Liz just called and they will be here in a minute” informs their Dad taking a comfortable seat in his recliner to read the latest articles in the Easter War Cry adding with a wry smile “I suggest that you make sure your rooms are clean before the guests arrive tomorrow for Lydia’s party.  As an incentive, it will allow you some extra time tomorrow to prepare for all those things that girls do for the chance of an opportunity to meet a somewhat charming young boy whom fancies you much more than I would like”. 
Dreaming of that possibility, Kitty kisses her dad on the cheek and heads wistfully upstairs to her room.  In turn, Mary smiles at her dad’s encouragement and decides that she might take the extra time to mix and match from her closet to create a new outstanding outfit for tomorrow evening.
A few minutes later, Lydia comes bouncing down the stairs to the living room and plops down on the armrest of the recliner.  ‘Daddy, would you have $20 that I can borrow.  I can pay you back next Tuesday after I get my paycheck and pay mom back the money I owe her too.”
“And what is motivating my generosity this time?” asks Mr. Bennett “Is the culprit some item of rare and priceless value that you cannot live without?”
“No, not clothing this time but I would like to have my nails done” letting her dad have a thorough examination of her hands, Lydia continues “I need to have them filled in so they can look perfect for my birthday tomorrow.”
“I guess that I can spare a little for my birthday girl” offers Mr. Bennett reluctantly pulling his well-worn wallet out of his trousers and handing her a crisp bill while Lydia gives him a hug and heads out the door in less than a minute’s time.
“Where is Lydia going?” asks Jane having just missed Lydia walking across the lawn while getting out of the car “She knows we’re decorating tonight, right?”
“Come in!” welcomes their dad holding the door open for them “Long time no see.  I miss you girls.  Are you staying for dinner?”
“Yes, I think so.  I thought that we might help get everything ready for the party” offers Liz explaining “I have a few things which I thought might come in handy that I left in my car to take down to the corps in a little while.”
“I let your mother handle details like that” sarcastically states Mr. Bennett but not too far from the truth “I’m only meant to observe, hammer a few nails, take out the trash, and to pay some of the bills.”
“Only some?” chides Liz waiting for an informative reply.
“Only the ones I can afford, the others, mostly kindly generated by your mother, I bury in my top dresser drawer and pretend that they don’t exist until I am ultimately forced to face the stark reality that another payment is now due yet once again” informs Mr. Bennett feeling that perhaps this party may create a deeper stack than what has previously intentionally been hidden away from sight and mind.
“I heard my name.  Liz, what is your father saying about me? Many wonderful things I hope!” asks Mrs. Bennett teasing her husband as she walks into the room from the kitchen “Your father is a great man with many talents most of all his wit when he remembers to aim it in any other direction other than mine. If not, he knows there are consequences” remarks Mrs. Bennett sweetly kissing him on the forehead as she smoothens down his ruffled hair.
“We’re meeting Lydia at the corps in a half-hour” informs Jane grabbing her purse resting against the sofa “and then we’ll come back here for dinner.  Are you about ready to go Liz?”
“Where are you going?” asks Kitty skipping two stairs at once and landing with a flop and a slide on the floor in her pink bunny slippers.
“We’re just about ready to head down to the church to decorate.  Do you want to come along?” asks Liz considering that an extra hand and creative mind might be helpful.
“Sure!  I have some extra streamers that I brought home from a birthday party at the daycare.  Maybe we could use some of it” offers Kitty “I found a few ceiling decorations as well at the store this afternoon too which I think will look nice”.
“Where are you all going?” shuffles Mary into the room eating an apple with an armload of music with the intent to attempt to conquer “I want to go too!”
“We’re getting ready to leave for the corps in a few minutes” explains Jane “Grab your things and let’s go.”
“I’ll bring my notebook to jot down anything that we forget or need to remember” offers Mary “I’ll bring my songbooks too.  There might be some music that Lydia would like me to play.”
“Mary that’s a very sweet idea but I think we’re going to use an Ipod instead” thoughtfully responds Liz not wanting to hurt her feelings but knowing that having her sister play is the last thing that Lydia would want for entertainment.
With arms overflowing carrying bags of streamers, balloons, and material Kitty and Mary head towards Maud.   Just behind them Liz brings the stack of pink, purple, and yellow plastic tablecloths in one hand and trying to balance a box of coordinated floral centerpieces in the other.   Jane carries two stacked boxes filled with plates, cups, silverware mumbling “I’m glad the corps has serving dishes and a punchbowl and I don’t think Maud could hold anymore”.

No comments:

Post a Comment