Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Crest & Shield - Chapter Fourteen

The mauve carpeted, well decorated glass and gold glittered mall breathes with the elevator music of Michael Buble, Barbara Streisand and Josh Groban that streams throughout it stores, cafes, and kiosks to its well-heeled listeners.




In the center of the upscale mall is a pastel decorated hut trimmed in shades of aqua, peach and pink with a happy life size bunny with a pale pink nose holding awestruck children having their photos taken by a Easter helper. The female assistant is wearing a mint gingham dress and a ruffled lavender apron with canary lace. She tops her outfit with a large straw hat covered in various pastel plastic flowers tied with a large powder blue bow at the front. Uninterested nannies texting on cell phones wait in line with their tiny responsibilities soundly sleeping in oversized strollers or with others hanging on to toddlers wearing leashes for their turn with the large white cottontail.



The mall smells of fresh baked cookies, hot brewing dark bean coffee, and expensive perfume of different kinds of fruit and spice scents.



“Be a dear . . . get me a non-fat sugar free caramel macchiato at the Java CafĂ©” spuriously tired Fannie requests to a limping Liz. “Okay. I’ll just be a minute” accommodatingly returns Liz “It’s been quite a day and I’m ready for something good.” Blisters created by wearing too tight of new fashionable shoes hinders her mobility while she shuffles to the green marble counter to order their mocha drinks.





Liz slowly hobbles back with a venti coffee for each of them and hands one to Fannie with a chocolate chunk gourmet cookie. “It’s so wonderful to have someone who sees and thinks just like me!” muses Fannie “You know exactly what I want! You and I make quite a team!” biting into the delicious confection.



“This is the best day I’ve ever had!” exclaims Liz drinking a sip of her hot specialty coffee “I’ve never done so much shopping in just a few hours!”



“Well, since you didn’t have many things with you, I felt this was definitely an emergency and it was my duty to help you. You obviously needed some attention” advisedly replies Fannie glancing down at her gold chained link bracelet watch “I suppose we should probably head back to the corps.”



Designer bags of all different shapes and sizes fill their hands as they have help from the valet service to load them into the trunk of the black luxury Acura after a long day of proposed “window” shopping at the downtown Galleria.



“Next I want to go to the John Frieda Salon to have our hair done” announces Fannie “I’ve been looking through magazines and I want a new trendy hairstyle to wear with my uniform for officers councils”.



At the moment, Fannie is in silver strapped sandals, “I love everything that I got today. Donna Karan has the best clothes!” confirming her opinion by wearing a corresponding name tag in the backless sundress in silver grey and chalky white nipped at the waste with a matching belt made of the same material.



Liz sits next to her and turns up the radio. Tapping her new pedicure in black leather roman sandals to the music in a tomato cowlick blouse and black cashmere tube skirt “This has been such a wonderful day, don’t you think?”



As they arrive back at the Norland corps Captain John Dashing meets them at the door. “Where had you been? Corps Council starts in about an hour and you need to change!”



Fannie smiling and lightly touching his chin with her finger “I’ve been out shopping with Liz. Look, haven’t you noticed anything different?”



“That there is now less money in the bank from my paycheck?” inquires Captain Dashing.



“No. You know that’s not what I mean” mockingly sulking replies Fannie “I still don’t understand why your name is the only one on the paycheck when I work just as hard as you do but I am only considered a ‘volunteer’” remarks Fannie and teasingly looking to her side directs her comments “Liz when you become the second woman National Commander, please make sure that both the men and women officers each have their own paycheck with their names listed on the front and not just one check given for the male version of the couple”.



“Ummm” ignoring Fannie’s comment and anxiously looking at his watch irritated that time is passing too quickly Captain Dashing frustrated but ignoring her premonition states, “I give up. What’s new that I haven’t noticed?”



Turning around in a circle and then looking back over her shoulder like a model “Can’t you see?” asks Fannie.



Rolling his eyes “I really don’t know what you are up about” stating in an irritated tone.



“My hair silly, I got a new haircut. What do you think?” invites Fannie “Liz got her haircut too.”



“Quite nice,” with a compromised sigh “now are you ready to go change into your uniform? Tonight is an important meeting since they are discussing the addition of the new gym and athletic facilities as well as many other things including new carpet for the chapel” firmly reminds Captain Dashing.



“Yes, I suppose so. Come on Liz, I guess its time to put our things away and get ready for tonight” swinging her labeled bags as Fannie heads to the newly professionally decorated bathrooms of the administrative staff to change.



After changing her clothes, Liz walks down the education wing to find her sister who is working away in the after-school classroom decorated with posters of times tables, list of prepositions, geography of the world, periodic table of the elements, and basic greetings in Spanish. Most of Lila’s hair is still in the pony tail but quite a good portion has exploded into its own design and form.



Wearing a lime green t-shirt with a slogan from youth councils 2002 “Sympathy is no substitute for action ~ David Livingstone” and ripped jeans, she calls the kids to put away their homework and reading books. “The Hour of Power is over and your moms and dads will be here very soon” commands Lila “Time to go outside for field games. Everyone needs to put their coats on with their hats and find your gloves!”



“Lila, how did it go today? Was it better than yesterday?” inquires Liz “You look exhausted. You need to do something with yourself.”



“The kids and I had a great time. But I’m having trouble with their homework” resting her head against her folded arms on the metal teacher’s desk “I don’t understand some of the questions” honestly replies Lila look up “Fortunately there are enough volunteers from the senior program to help with their homework that I don’t have to worry about it too much.”



“Liz and Lila, where are you?” sings Fannie down the hallway as she enters the classroom “It’s almost time for corps council to start and I don’t want to sit there in that boring meeting all by myself. I’ve got to have someone to talk to! They just talk and talk and talk but never come to any decisions except to put the topic on next month’s agenda.”



“Will Robert be there?” asks Liz concerned if he will attend after a very heated personal confrontation with her the night before that didn’t have the outcome that Liz had expected.



“Oh of course Robert enjoys adding all of his opinions. I think he likes the sound of his own voice way to much for comfort” honestly replies Fannie “He likes to think he has all the answers even when the rest of us know he doesn’t but we can’t stay awake long enough to tell him that by the time he finishes talking.”



Liz and Lila nervously smile to each other agreeing with Fannie’s comment but not too much that she would be offended. “What about David? Is he coming tonight?” anxiously asks Lila.



“I guess he seems to be like a little puppy dog following around Robert. They are always together” says Fannie resignedly. Lila leaves the enthusiastic children in the care of the two assistant afterschool helpers as they head out the doors to the soccer fields.



They all enter the fellowship hall where fifteen men and women are scattered around three ivory plastic eight foot long tables. The leaders are not sitting close together, but each physically allowing for their own space of authority.



Liz sees Robert and grabs the nearest folding chair. Liz moves as close as possible as she can next to him. Robert grins at her a little uncomfortably and glances around the room to see if anyone noticed.



Lila chooses the chair next to David who yawns and yet again seems indifferent to her. Lila starts smacking her gum loud enough for the entire room to hear in hopes that David will notice she is sitting next to him and say something to her. Visual glares can be felt from the various leaders sitting in near proximity and annoyed by the irritating sound of smacking and snapping with all but Lila or David noticing.



Captain Dashing starts the meeting after a word of prayer, “As you can see the agenda for tonight is rather long and so I would appreciate keeping the discussion to the topics at hand so we can reach some conclusions as far as bids and suppliers.”



“The first topic as you can see on the agenda is choosing new carpet for the chapel” remarks Captain Dashing in an informative tone.



The well dressed businessman to the left jumps in to be the first in the discussion as it begins “Why does the carpet need replaced? It’s only twenty years old, I’m sure it would last for another ten years with the use of some patches to cover the stains, holes and tears. I think there are still a few pieces of the remnants up in the attic. Of course, I don’t know how good they would be considering the leak on the roof from the air conditioner last year” replies the man in a suit with the polished shoes.



An artistically vibrant woman sitting across the table from him counters “I disagree. I think we need to pick something that will last for a long time and be aesthetically pleasing. I think teal or amber would be good colors or perhaps even a lilac, however we would have to change out the material on the pews and altar furniture to match so it wouldn’t clash so much. Do you think they would let us change the red, yellow, and blue colors in the Army flag to some softer shades that would blend better?” asks the French manicured interior designer.



“No I don’t. The Army flag is not an optional item. The red is for the blood of Christ. The blue is for the power of the Holy Spirit and the yellow represents light of God” bluntly answers Captain Dashing “It will not and cannot be changed.”



Leaning back looking over the printed agenda with his opposite foot resting on his knee, the man sitting at the edge of the table corner responds “I had no idea myself. I’ve been a soldier for nearly thirty years and didn’t know what the colors were there for. I’ve always assumed the material had conveniently been on sale when the flag was originally made and that is how we ended up with those primary colors” responds the man in the polo shirt and khaki pants with loafers.



A little bored already with the discussion, Lila takes her thumb and finger and pulls a large string of stretched gum about a foot away from her mouth. Liz hisses “Put that away!”



Lila snaps her head around at the venom coming from Liz. Loudly complains “Oh now look what you made me do! I’ve got gum all over my hair! Ick!” standing up and pulling pieces of her hair apart “How am I going to get this out now?” A whimpering Lila stomps out of the room followed by disgruntled Liz and Fannie.



As they walk out Captain Dashing continues “Now that the evening entertainment drama is over we can continue with the meeting now. So far we have a vote to not change the carpet at all and another vote to remodel the entire chapel . . . ”.





As the weeks continue to go by, Liz feels quite comfortable around Fannie. They have become very good friends but Liz has intentionally not confided anything about the history of her relationship with Ted to Fannie.



Liz, Lila and Fannie settle down in the Home League room to put together community care bags for Easter distribution of socks, a plastic stained window with a chained hook to place in the bedside window of senior care facility residents, and a traditional Easter War Cry with a valiant Jesus on the front. The goal is to make about a 1,000 bags for the seasonal distribution to senior care facilities.



“So Liz so far you haven’t told me about your love life” begins Fannie “is there anyone you are interested in? If you don’t have anyone, I know of several unattached single men in the territory which I could probably set you up with. You deserve to have a good man in your life who can promote your assets and skills. ”



“Well there is one” timidly begins Liz



“Really? Who is it? Do I know him?” eagerly gossips Fannie.



“Yes actually you know him quite well” hesitantly replies Liz “but I don’t want to say too much.”



“You can tell me or let me guess. What is he like? What does he look like? Is he handsome?” keenly asks Fannie.



“Everyone admires him. He’s quite well liked. He’s fascinating really. Everyone knows who he is. He’s kind and thoughtful. He always has something encouraging to say even to people he doesn’t know that well” admirably describes Liz.



“He sounds too good to be true” frankly remarks Fannie while counting the number of Easter War Crys left in the large stack on the table.



“He’s real” defends Liz “He’s amazing. I’m sure you will like him.”



“Well, we all have our own opinions on that dear. However, it is quite admirable that you consider my opinion something of weight and value” egotistically remarks Fannie “What is he interested in? What are his plans for the future?”



“He’s a fantastic musician, one of the best that I have ever heard and he is so humble about it. But even though he has the potential to become famous, he wants to be an officer” slowly replies Liz.



“Well that’s ridiculous. Anyone that gifted should be a professional where he can make real money and not have to sacrifice his life. It is quite a simple life as an officer and there are not many thank yous or obviously rewards except perhaps a particular appointment here or there. But they are all the same really in the end – lots of work, lots of personalities, lots of difficulties – and just as soon as everything seems to be somewhat sorted out, it’s time to move again” truthfully reflects Fannie trailing off in her own thoughts.



“Actually I think he would make a fabulous officer. He’s very caring and compassionate. He’s a spiritual guy too” continues Liz “I think you would really like whom I have chosen.”



“Are you going to tell me?” insists Fannie “I’m very curious who you are talking about. He seems perfect.”



“You might think he is perfect too. You’re related to him” cautiously replies Liz.



“Really? Let me think of my cousins” questions Fannie as she takes a moment to go down her heredity line in her thoughts “I don’t think I have any cousins who are your age.”



“He’s closer than a cousin” gently responds Liz “if you think for a moment it is not that difficult to find out who he is.”



Fannie frowns and sharply asks “Is it Robert?”



Liz laughs out loud “No! Why would it ever be Robert?”



“Well, I wouldn’t think that could be possible anyway. He has higher standards and he is not a musician either” candidly remarks Fannie.



Liz is slightly offended at this remark but shrugs her shoulders and ignores what she has just heard. After a momentary pause she bravely considers telling Fannie the truth.



“You do know him. He is related to you. He really couldn’t do better” defensively continues Liz.



“I don’t have a clue who you are talking about. The only one that is your age and related to me that I know about is Ted. He’s too busy to be available” considers Fannie looking over to Liz who is smiling with excitement and glee.



“NO! No, no, no, no, no! . . .Tell me it is not Ted!” shaking her index finger while Fannie stares with tightened lips and an evil look “You don’t know Ted. There is no way he would ever be interested in you!”



“Yes he is!” exclaims Liz while staring directly into Fannie’s eyes.



“I can’t believe this nonsense. You’re not even remotely his type!” rebukes Fannie.



“Yes I am. He loves me!” angrily confronts Liz slightly twisting the truth to her advantage.



“You’re a silly girl. You are not nearly as smart or as talented as he is. He would never look at you twice!” challenges Fannie.



“That’s not so! We’ve been secretly promised to each other for five years!” defensively replies Liz.



“You have not! You are a liar!” yells Fannie.



“I am not lying. Call him. He’ll tell you the truth” angrily replies Liz hoping that a call will not be made in spite of her impulsive challenge.



“Well we’ll see about all this fairytale. My family has plans for him and you are definitely NOT included in them” threatens Fannie.



Fannie furiously trudges out of the Home League room with Liz and Lila restlessly concerned about what will happen in the next few moments.



After a few minutes of silence Lila asks Liz “What are you going to do? What if we lose our jobs? What if we can’t stay? What are you going to do about Robert?



“What do you mean about Robert? I’ve just been flirting with him” while dismissing Lila’s implication Liz examines the nail polish on her fingernails.



“You know exactly what I am talking about. If you don’t like Robert, you certainly have been using him. That’s not right” admonishes Lila “You and he seem like a couple. You haven’t even mentioned Ted’s name for weeks now.”



“Well, what do you know? Robert isn’t interested in having a serious relationship with me, he told me himself a few weeks ago” remembers Liz stating with a twinge of pain.



Liz continues “Ted is back at territorial headquarters after being out visiting several corps in the territory. I got a text from one of my friends that work in the same department as him today. She’s interested in dating him but I’m not going to let that happen. I really don’t think that Ted would be that interested anyway.” scheming adds Liz “I think it is time that we returned to the training school to visit the home officer who was so friendly during the Future Officer Fellowship week-end so we can conveniently run into Ted again. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to directly speak with Ted and see if we can stay with him instead.”



“I’m going to miss David very much. I hope you really don’t get us kicked out of here with your ‘plans’” sadly pleads Lila “I like working with the kids and you seem to enjoy being around Robert a lot too.”



“Yes it is true. I do enjoy being around Robert and we have such a good time together but he won’t make a more serious commitment to me. I’m ready to get married. I’m nearly thirty and time is ticking. I need to be with someone who is interested in marrying me too” frankly states Liz with determination.



“I think you are making a huge mistake giving up Robert for Ted” genuinely replies Lila “Ted doesn’t even seem that interested in you. You are always the one contacting Ted and saying this or that about him but he wants to keep your relationship a secret.”



“You don’t know anything about anything at all” defensively argues Liz “I have certain goals and I plan for my life to fit within them if I can help it.”



“I hope you are not making a fool of yourself or making a mistake that you will later regret” answers Lila as the door opens.



About thirty minutes later Fannie returns. “I’m taking you home to pack your things and then Captain Dashing is taking you to the airport so you can go home to your mother or wherever else you want to go. You will have your paychecks at that time so you can pay for your own flights. Your mother will know what to do with you and put you in your right mind.”



Liz cunningly pleads “But we’ve had such a good time together! Why are you so angry at me now?”



“You are a little manipulator! You are a problem! I’ve talked to my mother. If Ted stays with you he is losing the financial support to continue his music studies at the university and my mother is not assisting at all with his tuition for the training school. Our family will make sure that he does not have the backing he needs to go to training to be an officer either so that he cannot play your silly games. You are a very foolish girl!” Lividly sneers Fannie “if you loved him at all you would let him go!”

No comments:

Post a Comment