Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Crest & Shield - Chapter Seven

The next morning Jennings arrives knocking at the door in a bright yellow outfit with large orange polka dots. “I have wonderful news! This is such a great day! So full of guests! When it rains, it pours!” Looking teasingly over to Ellen as if sharing a secret “I think you might know one of our fri-e-nds . . .” in a singsong voice.




Then jumping in without pausing for an answer “Not only are my friend’s children coming today, Liz and Lila Steele, but Major Middleton got a call last night and guess who is coming?” with the delight of a child who can’t hardly wait to share the answer “Ted Ferris! He is stopping by to drop off some supplies that Brandon’s corps ordered from THQ on his way to a conference” then a little distracted “ I don’t understand why he needs to do that -- everyone else uses UPS” as the words are coming out of her mouth she turns around looking outside and states, “Speak of the devil! He’s here!”



Seeing him through the screen door, Maggie immediately runs up to Ted and hugs him around the waist. “It’s so good to see you! I thought we would never see you again! Ellen will be so excited! She’s been waiting for you to come!”



Jennings adds, “Sit down, get comfortable and stay for awhile! The Steele sisters should be here sometime this afternoon. Just so you know, I’ve already told them that you will be here today. They’re both quite excited to see you again too!”



Ted’s smiling face loses its electricity and his eyes fall as if trying to catch his breath “Uh, unfortunately I can’t stay for much longer. I just came by to drop off these things and say ‘hello’ to the Dashings”.



At that same moment, Ellen walks into the living room. She looks healthy and tanned from working in the backyard garden the past couple of months. Pleasantly surprised she radiantly smiles back at Ted’s beaming smile. “Ellen, you look great! It’s been such a long time. I don’t know what to say . . . I’m so happy to see you again!”



“It’s good to see you too! I didn’t know you were in town. How long are you here? Will you be able to stay for awhile? Would you like to join us for dinner?” The questions ramble one after another out of her mouth.



As he starts to speak everyone kindly leaves the room so they can talk. Maggie doesn’t want to leave and shakes her head when her mother motions for her to leave the room. But she sees a stern “eagle eye” and index finger calling her out of the room and Maggie decides to obey at once. Maggie stomps her foot feeling that she will yet be left out again of something special.



“I’d like to but I’m only here for a few minutes. When I heard that Crestwood Temple had ordered new instruments, I offered to drop them off rather than have the instruments shipped for Captain Brandon since he is out of town and I am on my way to a Youth Specialties conference a few hours from here. I thought that I would make a short stopover and see all of you again” replies Ted as he glances around the room for reassurance.



“How have you been Ellen? Are things good for you? What do you think of your new home? Is everyone adjusting to the move?” shaking nervously and not waiting for answer between each question but smiling with excitement at Ellen.



“Things are good with me as usual. Maggie likes middle school this year and has made quite a few friends which has been a good thing. Mom likes the corps family and the pace of the community; and Anne has a boyfriend – so all is right in the world” optimistically replies Ellen with a bounce and sway.



“Oh that’s too bad” looking at his feet replies Ted without thinking, “Oh, I don’t mean that. I’m glad things are good and good with you . . . umm I think” appearing flustered raising his head looking at the ceiling while biting his lower lip.



“Look Ellen, I’ve missed you . . . uh, uh . . .” Ted blushes “I mean I’ve missed being around here. No, I haven’t been here before . . . I mean that I’ve missed having me around you around here . . . I don’t know what I mean.” Ellen likes what she thinks she is hearing but is not sure about what exactly is being said.



Ellen flashes a smile for encouragement and then Ted asks “Are you going to the Future Officers Fellowship week-end at the training school? I’m planning on going because I’ve been assigned to organize some of the media for the meetings. It would be great to see you in January if you want to go” hopefully asks Ted.



Ellen looks down at the floor as she explains “I saw the registration form online but I’ve been contemplating whether to go or not. I’m thinking of going to training in a couple of years after paying off some of my school loans. I’ve stayed with my mom the past few months to help her adjust to life without dad and it has also allowed me to save some money on rent to put towards my debt.”



“So have you started your paperwork for training? There is so much to do including medical and dental appointments, psyche tests, Bible and reading tests. It takes a long time as I’m sure you are already aware” persuades Ted “It would be good for you to go ahead and start working on them”.



Ted continues “I’m finally an accepted candidate but my family is not too happy about it. They would rather or actually forcibly insisting that I become a professional musician but honestly, I feel compelled and called to ministry. There is so much I feel that God would enable me to do to help others. I like being around people and creating visionary mission concepts that truly help the community. Although I don’t know how effective I would be, I know that God could use me” explains Ted.



Looking kindly towards Ellen “It would be great if we could be in the same session next year, “Crusaders of Christ”. What do you think? We could hang out and have a really good time together like we did last summer” eagerly beaming at her.



Ellen’s heart leaps “I’ve started my paperwork but was sidetracked with my commitments to the corps, classes, and other things. However, I agree that it would be wonderful to be in the same session! We would have a great time together!” confidently adds Ellen “I can hardly wait!” “Me too!” concurs Ted.



Gaining assurance Ted places his hand on Ellen’s elbow and begins “Look Ellen, I would really like some time to talk to you but things are not worked out right now. I would like to explain why you haven’t heard from me lately. It’s not because I didn’t want to contact you . . . it’s because I . . . um, you know . . .”



At that moment, he is interrupted by the squealing voice of Jennings “Oh look I just received this text, the Steeles are on their way over” she mirthfully yells from the other room “They’ll be here any minute” continuing as she pops her head in through the entrance of the living room.



Ted looks panic and flustered “I have to go now. Ellen, I’ll talk to you later. I’ll try to keep in touch.” Ted apologies to Mrs. Dashing while quickly heading towards the front door to walk out. Ted is hurrying as quickly as he can as Samuel jumps up and down begging to be petted. He stoops for a quick pat, glances back at Ellen with an apologetic smile.



Ellen is puzzled by his actions but at peace that he has promised to talk to her again.



A long haired blonde with large brown eyes dressed in a form fitting bright teal dress with large looped ear rings, and four inch heels comes in through the door without knocking and in a high pitched voice “Oh there you are Teddy! Why are you here?” sticking up her nose previewing the interior of the house while talking “Lila and I already went over to Captain Brandon’s to see if we could catch you so we could go out to dinner together before you leave again!”



After pausing for a second breath Liz starts “Captain Middleton met us and told us how to get here. He said you have been impatiently waiting for us to arrive!” She reaches over to hug him as Ted rises from petting Samuel. Liz places Her hands with rings on one thumb and a couple other rings thrown in too around Ted’s shoulders but Ted’s arms remain at his side. He doesn’t look happy but very stressed out at the new turn of events.



Her sister, Lila, stands behind her. Lila’s hair attempts to be in a ponytail but is falling out on all sides. Her dark lava red make-up clashes with her pale skin. Lila is standing pigeon towed in order to make her appear thinner than she already is in an awkward tight fitting outfit. The maroon in her top and lavender skirt do not match, one is of a bluish hue and the other in red but she seems unaware of her mistake but seems strangely confident in her own version of fashion sense.



“How long do we have to be here? Let’s get Teddy and go. I’m ready for a salad at Outback Steakhouse” then adding as if anyone cared at that moment “I’m a vegetarian and I don’t eat meat but their salad’s are good even if they are expensive for some” while looking Anne up and down as if she wasn’t worthy to be in her presence. Liz turns around and shoots Lila a look to say “shut up!” without words.



Interrupting with a syrupy plea Liz shares, “We left my car at the Middleton’s house and asked Major Middleton drive us over. He dropped us off and is headed back to his corps if he is not there already. Teddy, I assured Major Middleton that you would give us a ride so that we can all have dinner together” then erratically looking at her wrist as if looking at her watch, “Teddy, don’t you need to go? You don’t have much time and there is so much I need to talk to you about before you leave for the conference.”



Liz egotistically smiles at Ellen and Anne. “I’m sure Teddy is grateful for your hospitality. He’s been so tired lately and he drove out of his way to deliver all these things which he really didn’t have time to do for Captain Brandon” turning her head to Ellen with a pout back to Ted moving beside him and leaning in to hang her arm from his shoulder “They ask too much of him. He works way too hard.”



Ted appears to be beaten and clueless in how to respond to the scene that has played out in front of him. He is confused by Liz’s over familiarity but doesn’t know what to say at that moment. He looks at Ellen but she seems to be graciously taking in all the nonsense of Liz’s dance act.



All he can think of to say is “It was not a problem. I offered to bring the instruments. The Dashings are friends of mine and it is very good to see them again” nodding in particular to Ellen.



“Well that’s nice” in a quick sharp voice “but it is time to go. I promised to pick up a gallon of milk for Mrs. Middleton on our way back and she needs it to make gravy for dinner for her family which she already started before we left to come here. You need to say goodbye to your friends so you won’t keep her rudely waiting.” manipulatively lies Liz and nods to Lila who adds “yeah, Sue told us she needed the milk right away” while snapping her chin and flicking her ponytail with her hands on her hips.



Ted looks dismayed and helpless. This is not how he planned for the visit to go. He hasn’t had a chance to talk to Ellen. It was all wrong. He didn’t know that Liz and Lila were going to show up. He didn’t even know they were in town. Thinking it over he remembers that Liz sent him quite a few texts in the last few weeks which he ignored and did not bother to read or listen to her voice mail messages either. It has been a couple weeks since he unexpectedly ran into her at a territorial band concert. They said a few words but he explained that he was busy and couldn’t talk right then. He vaguely remembers mentioning going out town to drop off some instruments. But how did she find out they were for Captain Brandon? Why were they here? Things were already confusing with Ellen. Why did they have show up especially right now?



“Before you leave I want a hug Ted” begs Maggie “you need to hug all of us too because we’ve missed you so much! You’ve got to come back!”



Ted hugs each one of them. Mrs. Dashing reminds him that he will always have a place to stay at her house. Anne genuinely invites him back for a visit again by patting him lightly on the back. When he gets to Ellen, they gently hug each other but neither of them says anything. As he walks away, Anne looks at Ellen and raises her lip to the side with a lifted eyebrow with a “what-is-that?” look.



Ted holds the screen door open as Liz and Lila walk out ahead of him. As Liz walks out, she “accidently” squeezes next to him as if there is not enough room for both of them in the doorway and smiles within centimeters of his face while passing him and then smugly looks back at Ellen to see if she noticed.



In order to divert her attention Ellen quickly moves her eyes to the floor as if looking for an imaginary item. Ted looks back and catches Ellen’s eyes as he grins and raises his hand to say good-bye.



Ellen is happy, excited, mad, jealous and disappointed all at the same time but doesn’t know how to sort through the reality of her feelings. Jennings speaks up in the loudness of silence in the room, “Well, that was something wasn’t it? Those girls are always interesting and full of drama.” Mrs. Dashing agrees quietly to the side “You can say that again.”



A sympathetic Anne looks over at her sister who seems like a creature from another planet at the moment. Anne asks her if she wants to go for a ride to the library to return some books. Ellen slowly nods and heads back to her room to collect the books and DVDs which are more than likely overdue.



Mrs. Dashing remarks “Ted is a great guy. It’s good to see him again. He looks much older now and more mature don’t you think from the last time we saw him a few months ago?”



Maggie throwing Samuel’s favorite squeeze toy to him agrees, “Yes. But who are those two snotty girls with him? They are really different and stuck-up. Did you see that they weren’t very nice to Ellen? I wonder how Ted became friends with them.”



“I wish that Ted had a chance to talk to Ellen. He seemed really nervous and flustered” adds Anne trying to technically analyze Ted’s behavior “He appeared to be glad to see Ellen until that girl Liz and her sister showed up”.



“Those are nice girls even if it didn’t seem like it today. I’ve known them since they were very little as babies. I’m good friends with their mother” adds Jennings with authority of knowledge to the conversation “Their father is one of the longest serving corps sergeant majors at the largest corps in the territory. Actually he’s a bit of a snob too but a genuinely good fellow.”



Jennings reclines in the large chair while sipping on a Dr. Pepper, “If I remember my facts right, I think Ted was a corps helper there over ten years ago and was a good friend of the father of the girls. I think Liz is the same age as Ted and Lila is a few years younger and probably the same age Anne” remarks Jennings to Mrs. Dashing “I don’t recall Liz having many friends except for Ted. She dated a lot though as a teen in high school.”



Taking another huge slurp from the soda can, “From what I remember, it seems that she could only be friends with one girl at a time and then something would happen. Eventually she would move on to another buddy that she could basically control and the girl would mimic Liz in clothing, attitude, and even the current trendy slang. But they were just on the verge of becoming adults and I haven’t been around her much since then.”



As if sinking deeper into her thoughts Jennings continues “Ted was always so kind and well-liked by everyone but of course that was years ago. He had a lot of friends but didn’t date much that I can recall. He was a very handsome young man. I don’t recall him ever getting into any type of trouble. He was always too intuitive and seemed to be wise and sensible about things beyond his years.”



Shaking her canary polyester leg in the air that has fallen asleep from sitting too long Jennings continues “Ted was too busy usually with all of his different band gigs that I could tell to have too much free time. We all played in divisional band together. Ted was an extremely talented player, naturally gifted. He is sincerely quite well-respected by his more experienced fellow peer musicians.”



As Jennings pauses Mrs. Dashing asks “How long are the Steeles in town for? Will they be staying long?”



“Oh my yes that is what I forgot to tell you! My daughter hired Liz and her younger sister, Lila, to work with her during the Christmas season for Angel Tree and kettles. Liz will be organizing Adopt-A-Family and Lila will be the kettle coordinator. They are staying with us. Sue is so excited for the company and free babysitting” Placing a perpendicular hand on the side of her mouth like sharing a comment from the peanut gallery “Personally, I charge her so she doesn’t take me for granted.”



Jennings continues “Sue has known Liz for years. They’re good friends because of the friendship between the girl’s mother and myself” oblivious to the previous dynamics in the room “I’m sure that they will become best friends with your girls too!”



Anne looks at Jennings incredulously with an “humph!” While getting up from the couch calls out from where she is standing to the other side of the house “Ellen, are you ready to go yet? I’ll be waiting for you in the van!”



Ellen grabs the Community Care canvas bag with a large printed crest in the center propped up against the long mirrored dresser. It was originally given to all of the CC members during the annual meeting to hold War Crys for senior care facility visitation but Ellen has found it to work well as a good library book bag too.



Once reaching the library, each of them head to their separate sections to find something to read in their little spare time. Anne heads for the biographies and Ellen for the mystery section at the far end of the library. Having gathered quite a few books each, Ellen searches for her sister and sees her weeping across the room. She walks over to see what has happened to unusually upset her sister so much. Anne is holding a book on motorcycle repair. Ellen sympathetically shakes her head and places the book back on the shelf. “I have to pay my fine for my overdue books and check out these books then we can go.” Anne nods wiping her eyes and follows her sister to the main counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment