Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Crest & Shield - Chapter Twenty-Two

“Don’t you like my manicure?” enthusiastically asks Maggie raising and waving her hands above Anne’s face who is having her hair washed at the forest green marble top sink.



“I like them a lot! They fit you very well!” compliments Anne squinting to keep her eyes open



“Which one is your favorite Ellen?” asks Maggie skipping over to Ellen in the waiting section



“My favorite dwarf is Dopey” returns Ellen pointing to Maggie’s pinky “They are cute!”



Each finger has a fairytale decal of a different dwarf, with Snow White and the Prince on each big thumb as well as the Wicked Queen next to the Prince.



“This is where I could spend the rest of my life!” replies Jennings relaxing in the large multiple massage chair while having her toes painted in florescent orange.



“The salon was a very good idea Ellen. It’s so great to have a ladies-day-out once in awhile to treat ourselves” reflects Mrs. Dashing while watching the assistance applying a fresh layer of cream nail polish.



Ellen is haphazardly reading a People magazine while waiting for her appointment time. “What time in Brandon picking you up tonight? Have you decided what you want to wear? Celeste’s is one of the most elegant restaurants in town.”



“I think he said six if I remember right. I’ve been trying to decide what to wear all week. I think that I’m going to wear the periwinkle chiffon sundress that I got on sale the other day at Kohl’s in the mall” replies Anne with a smile “Brandon seems to like that color on me”.



“It seems to me that you two seem to be getting serious lately. Do I hear wedding bells coming our way?” teasingly asks Jennings flexing her newly painted toes back and forth.



“Well, he hasn’t asked me yet, but I certainly wouldn’t mind” Anne offers outrageously understating her true feelings but also not entirely understanding what is taking him so long to propose.



“Maybe you’ll have a happy ending today!” predicts Jennings “You’ll have to share with us all the details after dinner!”



A few hours later all of the ladies emerge quite transformed and refreshed. It has been a relaxing and enjoyable day for them.





“Where is Brandon? It’s getting late and he’s not here yet” Anne states looking at the clock and slightly concerned “I wonder where he is” anxiously pacing between the fireplace and the couch in the living room.



“I’m sure he’ll be here in a few minutes. He probably got delayed at the corps with someone who needed something at the last minute” practically offers Jennings momentarily taking a break from watching the latest version of “Sense and Sensibility” by the BBC on Masterpiece Theatre while eating a bowl of buttered popcorn and taking a sip of sweet tea.



“Ellen does my hair look all right?” asks Anne turning around to be viewed from all sides.



“Yes for the hundredth time. You look very pretty tonight” reassuringly Ellen comments “I’m sure Brandon will be here in just a moment.” The doorbell rings. “See there he is.”



“Hi! Sorry I’m late. I had a few things to finish up at the office.” Brandon offers an apology “I’ve had a few unexpected things come up that I needed to take care of”.



Anne walks in and shyly smiles at Brandon “Hi!” she feels herself leaning forward on the toes of her shoes in expectation of seeing him tonight.



“You look lovely tonight” As Brandon delightedly hands a bouquet of long stemmed roses to Anne “These are for you.”



“Thank you. They’re beautiful!” gushes Anne who takes a long deep breath of the floral rose scent of the flowers and then walks to the kitchen to put them into a vase.



“Are you ready?” asks Brandon taking Anne’s hand while walking out the door.



“Ready when you are” looking up to Brandon linking his arm to her own with a slight side hug and smiling. Brandon takes his other hand and touches the top of the hand where she is holding him for a moment.



As they arrive at the restaurant, Brandon opens the door for Anne and offers his hand to help her out of the car. Anne notices that he is carrying his black briefcase in his other hand.



“Did you forget that you still have your briefcase in your hand?” laughs Anne.



“No. I’m bringing it in with me” nonchalantly replies Brandon.



“You can leave it in the car until later” politely suggests Anne.



“I’d rather bring it in with me” states Brandon.



“I don’t think you are going to need it for dinner” Anne stating a little more firmly.



“I’ll just need it for a few moments. I won’t keep it out the whole time” returns Brandon as he again opens the door to the restaurant to let her walk in before him.



“If it is only going to take a few minutes, I think you could leave it in the car” annoyed offers Anne crossing her arms in front of her.



“No. I don’t think it will be a problem” counters Brandon.



“I think that whatever is in the briefcase can wait” defiantly states Anne believing that the briefcase will look out of place in the upscale restaurant.



“It won’t be a problem. Trust me” smiling returns Brandon placing his arm around Anne.



Anne moves slightly away from him because Brandon hasn’t been listening to her. “Whatever you want” states Anne slightly glaring at Brandon who happily smirks at her snide remarks.



They are led to a quiet corner table with a white linen tablecloth and ivory lace overlay. Conversation is somewhat terse because Anne is upset that Brandon brought in the briefcase. After the salad and main course, the server asks them if they would like dessert. Anne chooses a ‘murder by chocolate’ confection which Brandon asks if they can share. Anne after pausing a moment hesitantly agrees.



Brandon leans back and lays his black briefcase across his lap. Anne looks at it, rolls her eyes, hunches her shoulders and sighs while staring directly back at him. Brandon chucks to himself amused by Anne’s antics.



“I have something I want to give you” quietly Brandon explains “I’ve been working on it for quite awhile now and I think that I’ve finally found what I am looking for.”



Anne raises her shoulders up and down in a “give-up” salute. “Okay. I’ll look at it. I don’t see why it has to be right now and why it couldn’t have waited until later.”



Brandon pulls out a cellophane package wrapped in a metallic shimmering gold bow and hands it to Anne “I hope that you like this”.



Anne looks at the gift and notices at the edge of the bow is tied a diamond solitaire ring. Ecstatic at what is about to happen, Anne notices that Brandon has quietly moved from his seat and sits on one knee in front of her.



“Open the package. I wrote a song for you” sweetly directs Brandon.



Anne carefully opens the wrapping and reads the lyrics in a soft spoken voice.



Eternity in a moment

When all but Love stands still

The gift of heaven’s Angels leant

To put upon my heart a seal



To love Thee truly only

From now until all time

Our souls shall ne’er be lonely

With Thy hand entwined with mine



To love Thee freely

In the fresh and open aire

In purity and beauty

So that none can e’re compare



Nervously Brandon adds “I used a lot of ‘thees’ and ‘thy’ to make it sound like it was written by someone famous who lived years ago”.



Anne laughs as Brandon takes her hand “This is beautiful Brandon.”



“I wasn’t sure how to put into words how I feel and thought a song might help me” and then gently caressing her hand “Anne, I love you. Will you marry me?”



“Yes!” hugging and kissing Brandon and without thinking adds “I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to ask.”

























No comments:

Post a Comment