Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Salvationist - Chapter Eight

“It is quarter past ten, where is everyone?” asks Elton “Has anyone shown up to work today?” peering into the glass framed office with a name plate listing “Emma Woodhouse” on the door and impatiently noticing that its occupant is not there.



Mr. Weston glances at his watch and cheerfully states, “I think they will be in the break room since it a little past ten and most everyone enjoys a cup of coffee in the morning. Would you like a cup of coffee Lieutenant?” in his friendly cheerful manner.



“Yes, thank you. Please lead the way. I think that I have the layout almost figured out but I don’t recall seeing a break room” replies Elton.



“I don’t see how you could have since we have not been there yet. I still need to show you the next floor. The elevator is just around the corner” instructs Mr. Weston as they walk towards the closed door and Mr. Weston pushes the “up” button with the same action repeated by Elton to encourage the lighted button to respond more quickly.



The doors finally open and as they enter Elton accidently bumps into Knightly who is exiting. “Oh excuse me. I didn’t realize you were here. Do they not need you at DHQ today?” jokingly but annoyed inquires Elton.



“Actually, I am helping with some training today with a few of the new employees since I was already in town and thought this might be the best use of my time” frankly replies Knightly aware of Elton’s tone in his comment. For a second, he wonders if Emma will be spending time with him today.



“I’m taking a tour of the facility this morning and on my way for a cup of coffee. Hopefully we haven’t missed the coffee break. We’ll have to speak later” states Elton pushing the button to close the elevator doors.



“I’ll see you around I’m sure” politely states Knightly wondering if Elton will haunt his feeling of comfortableness with Emma in the next few weeks.



Emma is sitting at one of the six black and gray granite top tables drinking a diet Dr. Pepper and munching on a bag of mountain blend trail mix of chocolate, sunflower seeds and peanuts. She is reading the most recent “Priority!” magazine that someone has left behind which include articles about some of her friends.



“Emma! What a surprise to see you here again!” exaggeratedly exclaims Elton “I didn’t know that we would run into each other so soon!”





Emma squints and looks a bit perplexed, “I thought that I mentioned it yesterday, I must have been dreaming. It’s good to see you again too. How are you enjoying the day? Is Mr. Weston treating you to an interesting tour with lots of Army history and trivia?” Emma warmly smiles at Mr. Weston.



“Yes. It has been quite the adventure. I have learned more than I ever thought that I would know. Mr. Weston is full of facts and intriguing details about who did what and when even with a few infamous and notorious characters thrown in too for fun” nodding to Mr. Weston in appreciation.



“I didn’t share too many juicy details just enough to keep him interested” chuckles Mr. Weston in response as he pours a cup of coffee “Lieutenant, would you like some coffee?”



“Yes, thank you I had some earlier at the office this morning but another cup seems like a great idea right now” exclaims Elton “I take mine with a spoon of sugar and a pinch of cream”.



“Would you like a cup Emma?” asks Mr. Weston.



“No thanks, I’m still sipping on my soda” answers Emma “so, what are your plans for the day?”



“I’m going to finish my tour and spend some time unpacking at home. I’m still trying to settle in some to my new surroundings. The house is much larger than the room I had in training. It is nice to have so much space again but I’m not sure what to do with it” explains Elton “I’ve set up an exercise room and also a music room in two of the extra bedrooms. I’m keeping my books in the den which I am still unpacking. You are invited to come over anytime and help me if you would like to”.



“I just might. Perhaps I’ll bring a few friends along as well to throw you a house warming party and blessing” offers Emma rather excited by the idea of planning a special social event for the corps “When would be a good Saturday for you?”



“How about next week-end?” suggests Elton “I don’t have any particular plans at the moment. The following Saturday all of us will be at the Conservatory graduation at Camp Long Branch.”



“That reminds me, Harriet and everyone will be home on another break from camp next week-end. Saturday is a great time to have everyone over!” excitedly projects Emma “Mr. Weston, are you and Ms. Taylor free too?”



“I am but I’ll have to check with Ms. Taylor. Maybe I can suggest that she bring along one of her fabulous desserts to share” blushes Mr. Taylor at the thought of seeing Anne Taylor again “I’ll check with the Middeltons, Jennings and Mrs. Dashing.”



“I’ll ask the Bates, Jane and Alice Hammer too. I think that it will be a fantastic party!” dreams Emma “What do you think of a barbeque?” inquiring of Elton “We can have a dress-up luau! What do you think?”



Immersed in Emma’s enthusiasm, Elton found himself saying “I couldn’t think of anything better myself!” not knowing if he had anything that remotely resembled island clothing in his closet.



Knightly walks into the break with a new promotion mug he has been given with “Doing the Most Good” printed across the front to fill up his cup with some hot vanilla nut coffee.



“Guess what we’re going to do!” jumps Emma in the excitement of her wish list.



“I have no idea, but you seem awfully excited by what you are about to tell me” practically responds Knightly.



“Lieutenant and I are planning a Luau as a housewarming party!” exclaims Emma “Isn’t that exciting?!”



Knightly doesn’t know exactly how to respond to the idea of hearing that Elton and Emma are working together for a party at his house. He knows that Emma is probably just being kind and likes the idea of taking over social events, but he is not sure of Elton’s motive but politely chooses to remark “Sounds like an interesting possibility to me.”



“You need to find your Hawaiian shirt from your vacation last year. Do you remember any of the moves of your hula classes? Do you remember how to do the hula kahiko in your bare feet? I still have the Kala’au rhythm sticks you gave to me and also the lei of sea shells that you brought home to me. I think Harriet knows how to play the ukulele which will add to the music. Jennings has her puniu and ipu heke drums on display in her living room, I’m sure she’ll bring them with her too.”



“I suppose that I can dig out my uli uli rattles and lli’ili castenets too. It does sound rather fun Emma. When are you and Lt. Phillips planning this grand event?” asks Knightly.



“It is going to be next Saturday. Harriet and the Martins will be home from camp so we’ll have a pretty large group too” explains Emma with a million unspoken ideas running through her head for decorations and food.



“Would anyone like to know how to hula started?” asks Mr. Weston full of trivia on about any subject available.



“Yes, I think it would be interesting to hear how it all started” encourages Knightly as Elton sighs disappointed not to be spending as much time as he hoped getting acquainted with Emma as he would like.



“If I remember right, it goes something like this with perhaps a little ingenuity of my own” apologetically offers Mr. Weston as he begins “Once upon a time, there was once a beautiful Indian princess by the name of Pele. She was the goddess of fire but her sister, the goddess of the sea, was very jealous of her and drove her far away from her home in a little canoe. Sailing for many days she finally came to rest on an island which benevolently protected her from the waves. A chain of volcanic craters lined the island where she danced the first hula in victory that she had been saved. The volcanic craters exploded in her honor. A young king name Laka a great canoe builder from Fiji traveled far and wide and also came to find rest on the island. He saw her dancing and joined her intuitively dancing the events they both knew in silence, gracefully moving to each memory of their journeys. As a result the hula was born.”



“I love legends and fairytales!” exclaims Emma placing a hand on the side of the shoulder of Mr. Weston “Thanks so much for sharing that story with us!”



Elton smiles politely but thinks of many other things he would rather be doing with his time.



“On that note, I need to get back to work. I didn’t realize it was getting so late and I have an important meeting with a donor. Emma, would you mind keeping Elton’s company for a little while?” asks Mr. Weston knowing that this will probably not be a problem at all.



“Sure. Do you want to come over for dinner tonight? Ms. Taylor is coming over as she usually does on Monday evenings” making a mental note to herself to call Ms. Taylor to remind her about dinner if he accepts.



“Yes, dinner would be great. What time should I be there?” asks Mr. Weston delighted at the opportunity to see AnneTaylor again in a comfortable setting at the Woodhouse home.



“Six-thirty would be a good time” then turning to Elton, Emma asks “What floor have you not been to yet?”



“I haven’t been to your office yet” states Elton technically but not entirely truthfully



“Why don’t we go there next, then?” suggests Emma “Knightly, do you want to join us?”



Knightly thoughtfully considers for a moment before responding, “No, I have a few last details to finish up before I leave for home. Hope you have a good afternoon. I’ll talk to you later.”



“Why don’t you come over for dinner before you leave? Do you have to get back right away?” asks Emma wanting to see Knightly again but not sure why.



“I might think about it. What are you having tonight?” asks Knightly knowing that it won’t really matter what is being served becomes enjoys the company of Emma and her father.



“I was only have spaghetti and garlic bread with some salad. Is that all right with you?” asks Emma “It will be ready about six-thirty.”



“I’ll see you then!” nods Knightly as he exits the break room and walks toward the elevator again but doesn’t understand the tinges of jealousy he is feeling leaving Emma with Elton. Whoever she has been with has never bothered him before now. This is definitely a new feeling. He doesn’t feel completely comfortable with how much attention Emma is giving to Elton but tries to shake it off and focus on the tasks on his schedule today.



Elton follows Emma to her office watching the way her hair moves and the observing the timing of her steps as she walks along the carpeted hallways. Emma introduces him to the other employees as they pass each cubicle and office. A few of the younger adult women seem a little too taken away with Elton’s looks and surface demeanor as he greets each one. A couple of the girls flip their long straight hair a little more obnoxiously than usual and giggle at every other word in which he attempts to be humorous.



As they walk in the door of Emma’s office, Elton walks directly to Emma’s chair leans back and puts his crossed feet on her desk resting his locked hands behind his head “How does it feel to be boss?”



Emma is taken aback by his brashness honestly answers, “I don’t think about it too much. I try to focus on working successfully as a team with my staff and the city officers to complete each project. Many minds working together are much better than one trying to come up with all the ideas and do it themselves.”



Elton shrugs his shoulders and leans forward on the desk, “I prefer to do the job by myself in order to make sure that it is done right. It is always difficult for me to explain exactly what I want because other people don’t seem to try and understand why I am conceptualizing. It never turns out right when I trust anyone other than myself to get a job done” tapping a pencil that he has grabbed from the pen box on Emma’s desk to some unknown rhythm on the burgundy wooden top.



After tired of standing and realizing that Elton is not going to surrender her chair, she takes a seat in one of the comfortable upholstered chairs in front of her mahogany desk and crosses her legs wondering how long he is going to stay.



“How much longer do you have left of your classes?” asks Emma trying to think of something to ask to get her mind off being annoyed that he is messing with things on her desk.



As he fumbles through her papers casually judging each sheet of work and making a face in response, “I only have about ten classes left before graduating. I’m halfway through. Not many officers have their doctorate in the Army. I’m sure this will help my career” states Elton.



“I always considered it a “calling” rather than a career. It seems to me there are way too many sacrifices continually involved throughout the lifetime of service of an officer to make officer-ship as a career choice seem rational. However, any time someone wants to further their education to be more qualified and informed in their chosen field is a wonderful opportunity in my opinion. It makes sense to me that you have chosen to focus on doctrinal studies in that you are a pastor” suggests Emma “God speaks to some and calls them to a life of shepherding and caring for others.”



“What about you, Emma? How do you think about being an officer yourself?” asks Elton considering the future possibility of finding a wife at Crestwood.



“Personally, I feel called to local service in the corps as a lay pastor working with the Singing Company and any other door that God opens up for me in the future. But as far as going to training, I don’t think that is in the plan for me. However, I really do believe that God has a plan for me right where I am at Crestwood” genuinely explains Emma in a tone of sincerity “What about your calling?”



“What smells so good in your office?” asks Elton intentionally avoiding the question.



“It is the summer breeze air freshener in the outlets. But you didn’t answer my question” acutely points out Emma “When did you feel called?”



“It wasn’t like many teens do during the final Sunday at youth councils or at a congress at a Commissioner’s retirement. It was in my car on a late night drive” he intensely looks at Emma and then continues feeling a moment of trust “I was going through a difficult time feeling at the end of my rope and I knew that it was what I had to do after praying and humbly surrendering myself to God. So here I am now sitting in your office and breaking your stapler” which has snapped while he has unintentionally messing with it while speaking to her.



“Well, I think you are going to enjoy Crestwood. There are a lot of wonderful people here who are more than willing to step in and help you when needed” encourages Emma.



“I think the Army sent me here to help me find a wife. There are not many single male officers in the Army and I think they want me set up with someone as quickly as possible” suggests Elton.



“I think it would be wiser to leave that decision up to God and His timing rather than jump into anything that might not be what you are looking for because you are lonely or feeling pressured by anyone else” wisely suggests Emma thinking to herself that she knows the exact person he needs but he doesn’t know her yet even though he will soon.



Elton glances at his watch, “I didn’t realize it was getting so late. It is almost noon. I’m meeting the advisory council chairman today who is taking me out to lunch to acquaint with some of the recent business decisions of the corps. I’ll see you later this week. It was good talking to you today” warmly shaking Emma’s hand goodbye.



“Would you like to join us for dinner as well? It looks like we are going to have a full house of company tonight.” politely asks Emma.



“Dinner sounds good any time. Would you like to me to come at six or earlier to help with dinner?” asks Elton



“Come at six-thirty by then everything should be ready. Ms. Taylor will probably arrive a little earlier to help me prepare dinner for everyone” explains Emma.



Emma closes her office door behind him and returns to her desk putting everything back in its place. She then takes out a yellow post-it note to make a grocery list for the meal that evening to take the store during her lunch hour. Emma decides to pick up a new release movie at a Red Box just in case Knightly decides to stay a little longer this evening with her father to keep him company before returning the two hour drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment