Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

The Salvationist - Chapter Five


“You are a fabulous cook Ms. Taylor! This is the best dinner I’ve had in my life!” gushes Mr. Weston.



“Please call me Ann” with a sweet smile offers Ms. Taylor while gently blushing “I’m glad you are enjoying it so much. You will have to come over more often and try some of the recipes from the other dishes that I like to make.”



“Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to me – great food with marvelous company!” blurts Mr. Weston with a very huge smile and eyes that only seem to be focused on Ms. Taylor.



Emma is very pleased with the results of the feast. Mr. Weston and Ms. Taylor seem perfect matches for each other. Emma wonders why she didn’t think of putting them together sooner then now.



“Are you very busy Sunday?” inquires Mr. Weston intently looking at Ms. Taylor.



“Yes, I have to be at the corps potluck to welcome the new Lieutenant Elton, but I am available in the afternoon” replies Ms. Taylor.



“Oh I will be there too, I forgot about his welcoming. How would you like to join me for a stroll around the lake and perhaps a boat ride on Sunday? I own a small boat, the “Blue Wish” but I’ve had it for years and it hasn’t sunk yet!” Heartily explains Mr. Taylor.



“A boat ride sounds delightful! Do I need to bring anything extra or special with me?” asks Ms. Taylor enchanted with the thought of spending the afternoon with Mr. Weston on the lake.



Realizing that she is being ignored in the conversation, Emma is captivated by the mutual admiration she is experiencing between two of her very good friends and mentors.



There is a few seconds pause as Mr. Weston and Ms. Taylor seem to muse in the contentment of their plans. After a few moments, Mr. Weston remembers that he has not included Emma in the last thirty minutes of conversation. “Emma would you and Knightly like to join us as well? I know he went back for the week-end to DHQ but he told me yesterday that he is coming back for the Welcoming of Lt. Elton”.



“It sounds like a lot of fun but I will have to check with Knightly to see if there is anything on his schedule for the afternoon. Thanks so much for inviting us as well” earnestly replies Emma contemplating that a day on the lake seems like an adventure and something that she hasn’t done for quite awhile.



After a late evening of conversation, Mr. Weston and Emma prepare to leave. “I knew that you often cook for yourself, so I made your favorite pie to have for dessert” bashfully presents Ms. Taylor with a chocolate pecan pie in a white baker’s box.



“Thank you so much. Now I have a reminder of your friendship that can remain with me all week!” cheerfully suggests Mr. Taylor taking the pie acknowledging to himself that this is the happiest evening he has spent in ages.



“Please come any time. You have my number. It was wonderful spending the evening with you and getting better acquainted!” affirms Ms. Taylor helping Mr. Taylor on with his jacket as he balances the pie in his hands.



“Do you mind if I call you tomorrow to set up a time to return the favor?” shyly asks Mr. Taylor.



“No not at all, I’ll be waiting for your call. It would be great to see you again!” honestly replies Ms. Taylor.



“All right then, I’ll talk to you later” Mr. Taylor widely grinning “Have a good evening. Thank you very much.”



The door closes as Emma smugly looks up to the stars in the sky. “Yes this has been a wish come true for Ms. Taylor and Mr. Weston. I need to forget about what Knightly said, I know what I am doing” thinks Emma to herself as she enters her car to drive home for the evening.



In another part of the city Harriet and Robert Martin are chatting away at the movies with his sisters, Ashley and Katie sitting next to them on each side.



“These Whoppers are so good! Have you had Whoppers before?” asks Robert.



“Yes. It was one of my favorite treats for my cabin this summer. If the girls were good for me, I’d buy each of them a box from the sweet shop at the end of the week” replies Harriet popping two in her mouth at the same time “Thur realluy gouod!” nodding her head in time to confirm her statement.



Robert grins delighted with how much fun he is having with Harriet. After swallowing Harriet asks him “How many can you put in your mouth at the same time?



“I don’t know. I’ve never tried to put more than one or two in at a time” replies Robert expecting a challenge.



“I dare you to see if you can put more in than I can” challenges Harriet “I bet that I can put more in my mouth than you can at one time!”



“Ok. Just say when” Robert states rising to the dare and enjoying the friendly competition.



“Go!” says Harriet stuffing as many Whoppers in her mouth while stealing quick glances of her competitor.



Katie and Ashley keep track of the number of Whoppers. Katie yells “Robert has six, no eight!” but Ashley counters “Harriet is winning, she has seven, no eight, no she has nine!” Robert shakes his hands like no more as Harriet attempts to stuff one last Whopper into her mouth. But something starts to shift and Harriet starts to gag. Robert comes to her rescue and pounds her back with force. The inevitable happens. But Harriet is quite relieved for the instant comfort.



Robert laughs at her effort with Harriet quickly joining in after taking a moment to catch her breath. “You won! Great job! Are you okay?” asks Robert.



“Yes. Ha Ha! I won! I think that I need to take a break and go to the restroom now” as Harriet stands up and squeezes between the legs and seats of other people trying to watch the previews in the dark theater.



Robert turns to his sisters after Harriet is out of ear shot. “What do you think of Harriet?”



“I think she is great. It is almost like she is already a sister. It has been so much fun the last few weeks. I’ve had such a good time working with her at camp this summer!” Warmly responds Ashley to her brother.



“I’ve had a great time with her too. Robert, I think she likes you” suggests Katie.



“I like her. She’s a lot of fun. I think it will be great getting to know Harriet better” shares Robert “She’s on her way back.” Ashley moves down one chair so Harriet can sit next to Robert during the movie. “We need to do this next week-end during our break.”



“Would you like some popcorn?” asks Robert “I got an extra large bucket so we can all share.”



“Thank you! I love the smell and taste of buttered popcorn at the theater. It just isn’t the same at home with the microwave bags” observes Harriet dropping a little out of her hand and down the front of her shirt which she quickly brushes away with her other buttery hand smearing the grease into small stained pockets on her red t-shirt printed across the front “Wilderness Explorers: Lives of Moses and Joshua” and the word “Staff” in capital letters with “Doing the Most Good at Long Branch Camp” on the back.



“Oh no! Look what I’ve done!” remarks Harriet “oh well. This was my favorite shirt!” shrugging her shoulders “I guess I’ve worn this one long enough and it is time to get a new one.”



As the movie commences Robert stretches in his plaid shirt and rests his arm on the back of Harriet’s theater seat. The woody, orange and spice aroma fills the air with the scent of Robert’s Stetson cologne. After gathering enough courage his hand gently comes to rest on Harriet’s shoulder. Harriet squirms in nervous delight and glancing with her peripheral view catches Robert turning slightly towards her to see if she has noticed how close he is to her. She anxiously responds by caching his eye and smiling back at him.



After the movie is over and walking out to the parking lot through the back exit, Katie asks “Harriet what did you think of the movie?”



Harriet can’t remember the movie at all. She can’t even recall who was even in the movie. Her thoughts have remained on Robert the whole time. “Uh, it was really good . . . it had some interesting parts”.



“What did you think of the lead? I think is his first time in a lead role. I thought he was wonderful!” comments Katie.



“He’s good in any movie he is in!” asks Ashley adding to the conversation.



“He always saves the day!” enthusiastically adds Harriet not having a clue what she is talking about.



Satisfied with Harriet’s answer, Ashley and Katie continue to reminisce and repeat every line they can remember from the movie to each other in the back seat of the four door red candy metallic Ford F 150 truck.



“I’m going to drop you girls off and then take Harriet home” firmly states Robert in a tone he would prefer that there was no more discussion about it. Ashley takes the cue “Yeah, we’re really tired tonight and there is a lot to do tomorrow at the corps with the welcoming and all.”



“What?” starts Katie but Ashley nudges Katie in the ribs. Katie looks annoyed at Ashley for poking her but then realizes the point for the attack “Oh yeah. I have to make something for tomorrow and I haven’t decided what I am going to do yet!”



As they drive up to the Martin’s home the girls hug Harriet good night over the seat and make their way out of the truck and towards their lighted front porch with the garden swing to the door with a summer wreath of flowers and ferns.



Turning down Goddard Lane Harriet begins “Thanks for taking me home. Mrs. Hammer likes to keep an eye on me. She is a light sleeper and doesn’t like to stay up too late. But in that she knows that I’m with you, I’m sure everything will be all right” explains Harriet hoping that Robert and she will have some more time to talk before he drops her off at Alice Hammer’s home.



They chat about the music on the radio, upcoming events in the city, and discuss various interests and hobbies each of them have.



“Did either of your sisters tell you about my new job once camp is over?” asks Harriet.



“No, they didn’t mention it. What are you going to do?” eagerly asks Robert hoping that he will be able to see more of her but not sure how to bring up the subject.



“I’m going to be seeing you a lot! Since Ellen is off to the training college with Ted, Mrs. Dashing needs a receptionist. Ellen use to volunteer a lot for her when she had time to” states Harriet.



“What sort of things will you be doing?” excitedly asks Robert pleased that she wants to see him as well even before he mentioned it to her.



“I’m going to be answering phones, filing, putting together food boxes from the pantry, making appointments for the social worker, organizing maintenance jobs for the community service workers and typing some correspondence. I type 70 words a minute but I don’t really spell that well. However, there is always spell check, right?” explains Harriet.



“Being bilingual and having a great personality will also be a true help to Mrs. Dashing and the community too when families come in for assistance. You are just the right person for the job” objectively observes Robert.



“Thanks! I can hardly wait for the job to start even though I am enjoying camp. There are only three more weeks to go” and then Harriet courageously adds blushing “I’ll permanently be back the first week of August and we can see each other a lot more often then if you would like to.”



“Definitely! I can take you around the city and show you all the sites. The Rodeo championships will be starting when you get back. Have you ever been to one?” asks Robert.



“No, but I’ve always wanted to go” sincerely offers Harriet.



“I’ve got season tickets. The bull riding is my favorite part. I think you’ll really enjoy it too” explains Robert “We’ll make it a date then. If we go before the show starts there is a chuck wagon buffet of baked beans, potato salad, BBQ mesquite ribs and brisket topped with Texas toast at the arena.”



“Awesome! I can hardly wait!” frankly exclaims Harriet.



As Harriet attempts to open the truck door without much success, Robert starts to open the door for her but midway changes his mind and aims for a kiss instead. Harriet oblivious to what is happening at the moment turns too quickly. Her nose bluntly hits his cheek a little too harshly. Robert jerks back. Harriet screeches “Ow!” as Robert’s metal buttons on the sleeve cuff of his plaid shirt are trapped in Harriet’s tresses and refuse to let go.



Harriet leans as close as she can to his hand in order to relieve the pain as Robert tries to sort out the tangles in her hair from the metal snaps. Finally Harriet realizes if she unsnaps the buttons there is instant relief. Both Harriet and Robert laugh at their unanticipated antics.



Robert looks a little defeated, but Harriet intuitively turns and offers a quick peck goodbye as she jumps out of the truck and lands on her hands and knees. She stands up instantly hoping that Robert didn’t notice the fall. Waving with muddy hands, she yells “Goodbye!” and then hurriedly walks into the house. Robert sits completely still in the truck stunned but gazing at Harriet while she enters the house for a final wave goodbye before going in.



“Ya Hoo!” Slapping the steering wheel he hollers inside the truck to himself as he drives off and heads towards home.

No comments:

Post a Comment