Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Salvationist - Chapter Twenty Two

As Harriet wakes in the morning feeling as if the ceiling will collapse upon her, she looks over at the lamp stand where she has laid Robert’s card the night before. Feeling rather foggy last night with the fever and all the medication, she wants to re-read the card again.



As Harriet opens the envelope she finds a picture of a baby chicken with a thermometer and a bandaid on his forehead. There are no typed words on the inside, but only a few notes of poetry that are scribbled in Robert’s handwriting.

 

Dearest Harriet –
 
When the day ends not feeling well

And radiance fades to shine as bright

Rest – Angels take one’s hand to tell

And share the beauty of your light

 
Sleep as Heaven’s stars glow above

Let Comfort and Peace be your friends

As Healing soothes its gentle touch

Until life is whole once again
 
Thinking of you,

Robert
 


Sniffling and smiling Harriet is thrilled to see Robert’s creativity in writing a poem meant just for her. Even if she can’t entirely comprehend what it means at the moment, Harriet is touched by his sensitivity. Harriet looks over to the bed next to her where Emma is soundly sleeping. Rather than wake her to share her thoughts about the poem, Harriet carefully places the card in her purse where she can easily find it to read many times later.



Her throat is nearly closed from the swelling and she can barely speak. She realizes that this is much more serious than she originally thought. There is a knock at the door. Emma exhausted from the last two days of adventures is sound asleep and doesn’t hear the knocking.



Wearing sweats, Harriet grabs her fluffy robe to answer the door. Robert chuckles because standing before him, Harriet hasn’t bothered to brush her hair which is matted and standing on end as well as her face is red and swollen from not feeling too good the entire evening. She reminds him of a cartoon character attempting to be spooky.



“How are you doing this morning?” asks Robert already knowing the answer.



“Not too good” Harriet whispers “Thank you for the card. It was lovely”.



Robert is concerned about her, “Harriet, I think that it is time to go to the doctor. On the way in, I noticed they had a clinic up the road that is opened twenty-four/seven and I think that it is time for us to possibly check that out.”



Feeling overwhelmed and if she is about to pass out, “Ok, just let me get my things together. I’m nearly packed anyway because I knew that we would need to check out this morning.” She finishes putting things together for a few minutes. Robert grabs her pillow and blanket. As soon as she has finished packing he carries her suitcase as well for her. Still in her sweats, Harriet takes the pillow from him while the blanket trails behind her down the hallway to the elevators.



“I’ll call Elton and let him know what I am doing. I’m sure my sisters can catch a ride back with April” explains Robert.



As everyone gathers in the meeting room of the hotel, Emma explains “Harriet left a note. She went to the clinic because of not feeling well. Evidently, Robert took her to the doctor this morning.”



“I’m so sorry to hear that” compassionately states Grant walking towards Emma and then sitting down next to her in the empty chair. “I hope that she feels better soon. It’s awful being sick this time of year.”



“Ashley and Katie are riding with me. I’m dropping them off at their parent’s house on my way back to Bristol. But I will still be near Crestwood if anyone would like to join me for dinner” April offers eyeing Elton glancing over his notes for the devotional that day and not paying much attention to the conversation in the room.



“Dinner sounds like a great idea!” suggests Jane having become friends with April over the week-end now that everything has been clarified and straightened out between them.



“Do you want to ride back with me and the Martins?” asks April “We could have a good talk on the way back home.”



“Yes! It would give everyone some more room in the mini-van” offers Jane hesitantly looking over at Emma and Grant chatting about something next to Elton.



“Well, there is just room for the four of us in my car and you are all early birds so Emma will have to find another ride back home” states April matter-of-factly not really wanting to make room for Emma.



“Grant is riding with me because we are going to golfing tomorrow. He is going to teach me a few his tips that hopefully will improve my skills” Explains Knightly “but unfortunately there isn’t much room for anyone else because of all of the extra media equipment.”



“Well then it looks like it will be Emma and me riding back together!” excitedly responds Elton to the new turn of events and the arrival of an unexpected opportunity. Emma sighs in response but tries to hide her feelings. It isn’t working out at all as she had originally hoped for the week-end.



The last service is meaningful and enjoyable for everyone. It has been a good week-end and the sensitive time of worship has been heart-felt. After giving their hugs good-bye, everyone loads their baggage into their respective vehicles to head back home.



As he shuts the door, Elton asks Emma “What temperature would you like? I like it cold, but I don’t mind if you would like it to be warmer”.



Practically Emma points out “It has adjustable temperature controls for both the driver and passenger so we can both be comfortable if we want to”.



In the visor above him, Elton fumbles with the CDs which land and roll all over the van. Emma helps him to pick them up and put them back into their particular storage sleeve. “What would you like to listen to?” asks Elton eager to please Emma.



“Anything is fine. I like all kinds of music. I’m rather eclectic in my tastes” sincerely offers Emma as she watches Knightly pull out of the parking lot with Grant putting on his seat belt in the passenger seat.



“How about we listen to Transmission on the way back?” keenly asks Elton.



“Anything with Phil Laeger or Marty Mikles sounds good to me” explains Emma.



Elton entirely pleased with her selection turns the volume up so Emma can clearly hear the recorded vocals.



As they travel Elton grasps and twists the steering as he rehearses what he is about to say to Emma. Elton anxiously glances over to the passenger seat as he feels his temperature rising. His heart begins to pound and flutter.



Watching the fields outside her window, Emma is deeply lost in her own thoughts. She can’t understand why Knightly did not make room for her in his car. He always makes a place for her. Why did today have to be any different?



Knightly was so kind to her this morning bringing her a fresh cup of Starbucks from the hotel dining room. He offered to bring down her suitcase without asking. Knightly even seemed very interested in everything he had to say to her this morning. Although Emma didn’t sit next to him because she didn’t realize he was saving a seat for her everything else seemed fine. However, she recalls that he really didn’t talk to her after the meeting but that was because she talking to Grant who was keeping her busy rattling on about something in regards to ways to improve her skiing techniques.



With his lips shut rather tightly Knightly looked a little sterner than he usually does, but he can sometimes be like that thinks Emma especially when he is in a bad mood. She wonders what upset him. He did sit there for while with his arms crossed on his chest and his legs crossed in front of him which isn’t really like him though.



When April mentioned about taking the girls back with her, Emma considers she looked over at him but he seemed to be intentionally avoiding catching her eye. She was hoping that Knightly would offer to give her a ride home.



As the ride continues Emma ponders that Knightly seemed fine at the beginning of the day but by the time the meeting was over, he was rather short with her when it was time to say good-bye. She doesn’t know anything that happened that normally doesn’t. Grant sat next to her with his arm resting behind her chair making witty comments in her ear the entire time but he always does that every time she sees him at Crestwood. He doesn’t mean anything by it and Knightly should know that. He just likes to talk and talk a lot.



Emma stretches and moves her legs out in front of her trying to find a more comfortable position. She glances over at Elton who appears to be mouthing words that are not being heard. He seems a little flushed. Perhaps he is coming down with the same thing Harriet has considers Emma. She assumes he must be going over the next week’s sermon in his mind and looks back out the window again.



In truth Knightly is one of the kindest men she has met in her life. He always seems to be there for her no matter what is happening. He not only says thoughtful things but he does them as well. He’s very attractive and doesn’t seem to be aware of it either. She thinks that he is wise in his judgments and intelligent as well as knowledgeable about many subjects. He has a sense of integrity and honesty about his life.



Emma thinks more seriously, it isn’t as if he is a pushover either. He can stand up for what is important to him and also for others. As memories fill her thoughts, Emma remembers Knightly can be rather passionate about his interests, but is also open minded to new ideas and opinions that come his way. He isn’t a player either. He is the faithful and committed type which character traits Emma greatly admires. He has an active spiritual relationship and prayer life which she is attracted to as well. She contemplates all the qualities that she admires in Knightly one by one.



Her thoughts are interrupted by a loud clearing of the throat followed by, “Emma, I need to speak to you”.



Shaking her head from being stunned out of her reverie, Emma turns sideways a little confused “What? I didn’t hear what you were saying.”



After an obvious attempt at swallowing “Emma, I would like . . . I need to . . . I want to . . . talk to you for a moment.”



Emma shrugs her shoulders unaware of the gravity of the forthcoming statements, “Okay. What do you need to talk to me about? Is there something going on at the corps that I need to know about?”



Elton shakes his head and squinting his eyes, “No. I want to talk to you about something very important between us.”



Unclear of what he is about to say she assumes it must be in regards to his feelings for Harriet, “Go ahead, I’m listening.”



Sighing in a deep breath Elton begins, “As you know we have been spending a lot of time together lately and it seems that there is a certain understanding that has developed”.



Believing that the ‘we’ is referring to Elton and Harriet, “Yes, I’ve noticed it. I think that it is obvious to everyone. I don’t think anyone is surprised” enthusiastically states Emma.



Elton lightens up relieved at the confirmation of her mutual feelings, “I think so too. I think everyone has been expecting this for awhile”.



“You know, I agree too. I definitely think it will not be a shock to anyone” offers Emma solidly concurring with Elton’s perception of the situation.



Slowing down the van, Elton pulls over to the side of the road “Well then since I feel that we are on the same page, I would like to say very sincerely I think that I love you” as Elton leans in towards her for a kiss.



In a natural instinct motion Emma backs up against the window and very sarcastically bellows “What are you talking about? You don’t love me. You love Harriet!”



Elton’s eyes open and his mouth drops. He is repulsed by the mention of Harriet’s name particularly at this moment and slams on the gas pedal as the van takes off. “What? Love Harriet? When have I ever loved Harriet? I never gave her the impression that I cared about her!” as the van swerves in his astonishment.



“You need to be careful and watch the road! Of course, I mean Harriet. Who else would I mean?” defiantly hollers Emma “I never cared about you.”



Incensed Elton glares at her as if his eyes are about to pop out of their sockets, “You told me you cared!”



“No, I didn’t. I didn’t ever say anything like that to you!” retorts Emma.



“Well, well. You may have not ever said it but you certainly acted like it! You are always talking to me, sitting by me and smiling every time I’m near you with a signal that I’ve noticed to your best friend. What else am I suppose to think?”



“I wasn’t smiling “at” you, I was smiling “for” you being so happy with Harriet!” explains Emma rather passionately.



“I don’t like Harriet! Why do you keep bringing her into this? I could care less about Harriet!” shouts Elton emphatically to strengthen his point.



“But Harriet loves you! Can’t you see that?” roars Emma entirely frustrated by the misunderstanding.



“You were using me! You’re a flirt!” angrily barks Elton.



“I am not. I’ve never been a flirt!” shouts Emma at his ignorant suggestion.



“You are too. You’re always chatting up Grant and then when Knightly is around you use him for attention too. I’m assuming there is something in your past with Robert because it is clear you can barely stand him” yells Elton defending his assumptions.



“Grant is friendly to everyone. I don’t mean anything to him. Knightly and I have been friends for years” pausing for a moment not knowing how to end that statement but continues “and I would never be interested in Robert!” screams Emma feeling that he is attempting to tarnish her reputation.



“Well I can see this conversation is going nowhere and I would like for it to end” firmly announces Elton turning and stiffly facing forward to continue driving the last twenty minutes to Emma’s house.



“That’s fine with me. I have nothing else to say to you either!” shouts Emma taking her IPOD out of her purse and turning angrily to the window to suffer their last few moments together.



When they arrive at her house, Elton doesn’t say anything but sits very still. Emma looks at him, gets out and slams her door. He hits the button to release the back trunk door. Emma grabs her suitcase. As the back door closes, Elton steps on the gas pedal and speeds off as he burns rubber on the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment