Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

The Salvationist - Chapter One

“Don’t you think weddings are the most beautiful thing ever?” dreamily asks Harriet to her friend and mentor Emma “Anne and Brandon are such a wonderful couple together. I wonder what it will feel like when I am in love.”







“Love is one of the most unique and marvelous experiences in life” wistfully replies Emma but then reflectively “even though I have yet to experience it myself but I will one day.”






“What do you think my Prince Charming will look like?” encouragingly asks Harriet.






“I think you will find a great man who will compliment you in many ways and I see you being very happy together” hopefully answers Emma






“Let’s get some cake before it is all gone. I heard the cake is awesome! It’s like one of the cakes featured on “Ace of Cakes” a few months ago” explains Harriet grabbing Emma’s arm and pulling her towards the reception hall “First, I want to change into my s


Skeetchers though there in the trunk of my car.”






Jane is visiting for the summer as she does every holiday with both of her aunts. Jane is a sweet attractive young woman. She is kind and thoughtful but rather timid in large groups of people since having been raised by her cousins, the Campbells, after the death of her mother. Jane however is chatting to Annie Elliot while drinking a spiced punch in the corner by the gift table. As younger children, they use to be good friends during summer Girl Guard camp every year.






Between Emma and Jane there is a silent rivalry on Emma’s part due to being compared to Jane in every possible way by Jane’s aunts who miss her dearly between visits and love to be reminded of her enjoyable company through telling of stories that they have shared together during her visits.






Emma although she will not admit it to herself is rather jealous of Jane but still manages to override these feelings due to her upbringing and manors. Emma is a beautiful woman as well but is not vain about her looks. But she does believe that she has many answers to life even at her young adult age.






“Jane! How much longer will you be here after the wedding? Are you going home soon? What are your plans after you go back home? How much longer to have left at college?” inquires Emma.






Turning to Annie “Excuse me” smiling and looking up to Emma “I graduated this spring and have decided to stay awhile with my aunts. I’m hoping to get a job either with a corps in town or at area command so I can spend some time with them”.






Emma is shocked “Really? Are you sure you want to do that? Won’t you miss your friends back home?”






“Most of my friends have graduated too and moving to new places” explains Jane “nearly everyone has left or has plans to leave soon.”






“I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you like your stay here in the meantime” apologetically answers Emma.






“The wedding was beautiful” diplomatically adds Annie to the conversation “Anne glows and looks absolutely lovely in her gown.”






“Brandon seems so happy too!” enthusiastically agrees Harriet.






“I don’t think that I’ve met you yet. What is your name? My name is Annie Elliot” politely introduces Annie.






“My name is Harriet. I’m visiting from Peru. I worked this summer at Camp Long Branch with Willoughby and Julie with the Camp America program” explains Harriet.






“Harriet? Is that a Spanish name?” curiously asks Annie with a smile.






“Oh no, I’m named after my British grandmother. My mom came to Peru as a young adult to work as a SAWSO member and met my dad who is Peruvian” Harriet further explains “They fell in love and then had me.”






“I’ve never been to Peru, but I hear that Captain Fred Wentworth is leading a service corps team of young adults to Peru this summer” informatively enlightens Annie blushing a little at saying his name out load after such a long time of keeping his name to herself.






“Did you know that Ben Wick is going there this summer too? He’s been assigned to Captain Wentworth’s team” says Jane joining the conversation “He seems like a nice guy even though I don’t know him all that well. He likes to write poetry too.”






“A lot of people will be leaving this summer to work at camp or service corps. I’m so sorry to hear that Ted and Ellen are going to training and that Brandon and Anne are moving as well” sulkily adds Emma “it won’t be the same without them around at Crestwood.”






“The appointments just came out yesterday but my aunt doesn’t have internet so I wasn’t able to see the ‘official’ moving list on Lotus Notes” Jane curiously seeking more information “Do you know the moves?”






“Yes! I’ve been on the phone the last two days with all the people in the know. I had nearly the complete list the day before the moves came out” brags Emma “Brandon is going to be stationed at THQ but will be working on a national congress that will take place in a couple of years.”






“How exciting!” exclaims Harriet “Who is coming here to Crestwood as the corps officer?”






“His name is Lieutenant Elton Phillips. I looked up his Facebook profile” Emma explains with an air of authority “He is single and 28 years old. He graduated from Booth College University in Winnipeg, Manitoba in Biblical Studies and is being commissioned this year. He has ton of pictures of himself on his Facebook page if you want to look at him.”






“What do you know about him? He is good looking? He is handsome?” excitedly asks Harriet “Is he hot?”






“Yes, I think some might find him attractive” rationalizes Emma “He is arriving in six weeks, so we will get to know him better then.”






“He tweets! I just googled him on my phone!” shouts Harriet jumping up and down “He has a tweet pic too! Let me see . . . “ as Harriet concentrates staring at her phone “It’s of his new haircut . . . actually lots of pictures of his new haircut.”






“Can I see?” asks Jane sitting next to Annie a little tired from the day but trying to be kind and interested “He is nice looking. I wonder what his personality is like.”






Austen Knightly notices the girls all huddle in the corner and decides to find out what has absorbed their attention.






“Hey dude!” enthusiastically welcomes Harriet looking up and catching his attention.






“What are you girls doing?” skeptically asks Knightly peering over at Emma engrossed in her phone.






“Nothing that you would be interested in” excuses Emma “just girl stuff.”






“I don’t know. I find many things rather interesting depending on the subject. Something seems to be keeping your rapt attention” keenly observes Knightly.






“It’s really none of your business, but if you must know we are looking at pictures of the new lieutenant coming to Crestwood” replies Emma “We want to know a few things about our new pastor before he arrives”.






“He’s hot too!” adds Harriet with a little too much enthusiasm while Emma gives her a quick glance to calm her excitement some in front of Knightly.






“Oh I get it. He’s available, right?” asks Knightly “Are you checking him out before he comes in order to claim him?






Rolling her eyes, Emma turns her back on him “Whatever, you don’t understand anything about women. Why don’t you go back over to your corner and hang out with the men for awhile? They probably need you more than we do.”






“I don’t know. It seems like there might be a necessity for my relationship advise and worldly wisdom. Particularly on matters of the heart and soul” mockingly offers Knightly as he exaggeratedly sighs and holds his hand over his heart.






Glaring at him, “That’s not funny!” states Emma “What do you know about relationships? You’re thirty-two and still not married.”






“I’m praying about it and waiting for God to bring someone to me” defensively responds Knightly slightly ticked at Emma’s attitude on the subject “What about you?”






“Well, I am too. I’m only twenty-five. I’ve got plans and things to do before I settle down” explains Emma “but that doesn’t stop me from helping friends and loved ones create fabulous matches for themselves”.






“I think you need to let people make their own choices and stay out of the way” wisely advises Knightly “Most people are pretty good at finding others that they have things in common without any assistance from anyone else”.






“What do you know? You’re just a man. You have no idea how women work. You are misunderstanding the power of the expertise of a woman’s intuition and charm” defensively adds Emma while Harriet and Jane intently listen to the conversation but too afraid to add any additional commentary.






“Emma, just be careful. I’ve seen you at work before. Remember you are dealing with people here not Barbie dolls in a playhouse and they can be disappointed and hurt” kindly reminds Knightly.






Emma directly looks at him realizing he is probably telling the truth but not appreciating the nagging about her behavior “I do care about people. I’m just helping them. No one will get hurt. I’m just nudging them towards real true love.”






“Well, on that note I think that I am going to get some punch it looks like Jennings is about to give the toast to the new happy couple” smiling to himself as he walks away towards the punch bowl.






“He annoys me. Ever since his brother married my sister, he thinks that he has the authority to tell me what I can and cannot do” shrugs Emma turning towards Annie, Harriet, and Jane but then adds defiantly “I don’t let him get away with it though.”






Clanging on the glasses of spiced bunch to get everyone’s attention “Time for a toast!” announces Jennings to everyone in the Fellowship Hall of the Crestwood corps.






Ted Ferris nervously stands but warmly begins “I haven’t known Brandon for very long however we will soon be brothers-in-law. We have become very good friends as well as co-workers in the last few months. He is one of the greatest people I have met in my life and is marrying one of the kindest people I know. Brandon, may you and Anne have many years of joy and happiness together. May your days be filled with laughter, and may mutual understanding and compassion be near you to greet each day. Cheers to your lifetime of blessings together!”






Ellen Dashing picks up a stack of colored index cards on which she has written her notes for the important speech. “Anne, you are beautiful inside and out. Being your sister has brought out many exciting experiences and challenging moments in my life. Brandon has a wonderful future ahead with you. May you bring out the best in each other and appreciate the uniqueness of the gift that God has brought into each of your lives. Wishing you many years of love as each day is committed to each other.”






“Good. It’s my turn now” Jennings excitedly exclaims standing up from her chair “Love is not an easy thing. It is kind-of like peanut and jelly. Some days are creamy and smooth and other days are rocky and filled with nuts. Some days are like jelly which is sweet and yummy. Personally, I like my peanut butter with butter on whole wheat bread and a double dose of strawberry jam . . . but I digress. Oh yes, what was I talking about? Love is like peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Every day is a good mixture of the good and bad but put together it is delicious. May your marriage be a delicious fulfilling sandwich.”






Everyone laughs and claps at the speeches. It has been a great day for everyone.






“It’s time for the bouquet toss! Calling all single girls to the center!” cheers Jennings “Just try to beat me catching the bouquet. I’m faster than all of ya!”






Brandon brings out a chair and takes Anne’s hand to help her on the chair sharing a sweet private moment between each other.






“I’m gonna to get it! I’m prepared, I’ve got my sneaks on now!” challenges Harriet.






Jane and Emma share a quick glance between each other that is slightly on the competitive side. Lila joins them ready to pounce at a moment’s notice.






Annie Elliot shyly joins the group at the center but seems rather awkwardly embarrassed to have to be pointed out that she is single. She rubs her arm as if she is cold and nervously looks around to see if anyone has noticed how uncomfortable she feels.






“One, two, three!” as Anne tosses the beautiful bridal bouquet above her head and back behind her in hopes of aiming directly at her sister, Ellen.






Jennings jumps in full uniform and off-black hose has removed her shoes for extra agility. Jane and Emma jump as high as possible in their heels but do not reach the target of their dreams. Jennings flies past them as Harriet runs back and forth trying to strategize the future landing of the bouquet. Ellen reaches like a quarterback to her side with both arms outstretched but like a shortstop misses the fly ball.






Jennings stretches her body sharp as an arrow and goes for it. The bouquet falls gently on the head of an immovable Annie as Jennings falls flat. Reaching for the floral array on her head, the bouquet providentially cascades into Annie’s hand. Jennings comes to her senses finding herself in a spread eagle position with her nose to the ground. Mrs. Dashing notices Jennings with a few fallen petals splashed about her hair compassionately helps her up from the floor. Jennings resolutely replies “Oh well. Better luck next time” and then optimistically adds “I’ve still got Ellen’s wedding to go to!”

No comments:

Post a Comment