Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Salvationist - Chapter Ten

“I’ve got it! Watch out everyone! Move! Make way!” shouts Jennings awkwardly sashaying through the backyard carrying a hot plate of kabobs that has been resting near the BBQ grille through the sliding glass doors to the kitchen.



At the kitchen island Jane is finishing cutting up the apples for the Waldorf salad and throwing in a bag of walnuts. Both Jane and Ann are chatting about possible upcoming activities for women’s ministries. Ann is finishing up a scallop potato casserole that she places in the oven.



Emma mixes a summer punch of fruit juices and Sprite at the counter where Harriet is sitting on one of the bar stools munching on some chips and dip. Emma is a little disappointed that the luau will have to be postponed to another time because Elton didn't have time to find an themed outfit to wear, but this gives her plenty of time use some of her creativity to make the party into something very special.



Harriet wants to help so she searches for the paprika in the cabinet to add for some coloring to the top of the deviled eggs that Alice Hammer made for the day. The container doesn’t sprinkle the red mixture as she intended but instead dumps the seasoning over the half sliced boiled eggs. Harriet furrows her eyebrows afraid that she has once again made another mistake, but Alice walks by and laughs, “Don’t worry. We’ll just call them “hot eggers” instead!” smiling at Harriet thoroughly enjoying her company while staying with her for the summer.



Mr. Woodhouse has retreated to the den to watch the football game with some of the older gentlemen from the corps. “Can I get you something? I’m going to the kitchen to grab a soda, would you like anything Mr. Woodhouse?” asks Mr. Weston in a concealed attempt to check on what Ann is doing.



“A cup of coffee might be nice. Thank you so much” replies Mr. Woodhouse.



Mr. Weston is pretty sure no coffee has been made on the 100 degree day, but he is knows that someone will brew him a cup. At the top of the stairs, he sees Harriet. “How are you doing? It’s great to see you again! Have you been enjoying your time at camp as a counselor?”



“It’s been all that and a bag of chips!” exclaims Harriet with great enthusiasm.



“Uh? Did you want some potato chips? I brought some Fritos with me for some Frito pies later” replies Mr. Weston “I’ll check with Ann where she put them” a little confused but trying to be polite and genuinely smiling back at her pleased that she is fitting in with her friends at Crestwood.



Harriet giggles and races down the stairs stomping on each one with her florescent high top shoes with the strings swinging to each side. She jumps off the last three stairs as she has done many times at camp over the summer when exiting the wooded guest lodge.



She lands just as Robert Martin turns the corner from the den and bumps into him but not able to break her fall. “Hey!” shouts Harriet getting her balance again and excited to see Robert “I didn’t know you were already here!”



“Howdy! I looked around for you but I didn’t see you so I came downstairs to watch the baseball game. I wasn’t sure you were going to be able to take a break from camp. How are y’all liking camp this summer?” asks Robert pleased to see Harriet again too.



“Camp is a blast! It is the best thing I have ever done! I’m so glad my mom talked me into going away and trying something different for the summer. It looks like everything is working out to stay a little longer too!” explains Harriet.



“How many more weeks do you have left of camp?” asks Robert “It would be good to get together again once you are back home. Well - home to Crestwood, I mean.”



“Only one more week left. It is PAL camp with kids who are in juvenile custody. The police department officers, parole officers, and even some judges and other court personnel come out with them for the week. From what everyone has told me who has worked on staff before, it is the best camp of the entire summer because it is so much fun and the kids like it a lot and appreciate being given a chance to go to camp” explains Harriet in anticipation for the following week.



“Maybe I will have to take a drive out there for the day. Would you mind if I came?” asks Robert a little cautiously but not too much.



“Yeah! It would be great! You can meet all my friends. If you want to, you can even help me with my cabin skit for one of the evening programs!” jumps Harriet up and down clapping her hands excited by the thought.



“Ok then. I’ll be there. My day off is on Friday. Will that be all right? Maybe I can come out early in the day and during your time off we can ride on the trail with the horses. “Good Shepherd” is my favorite cayuse buddy. He’s been at the camp corral for years.”



“One of the best parts of the week is taking the girls out on the trail on the outskirts of camp. There are longhorns and other steer around the Hidden Whispers Lake which the girls enjoy seeing every time” shares Harriet “You’ll need to bring your boots.”



“I’ve always got my boots. You’ll hardly ever find me in anything else” explains Robert “It is tough taking them off even for a bath – just kiddin’ …” as he winks at her because she looks appalled for a moment believing that he is telling her the truth.



As they continue talking, Emma carefully walks down the stairs holding a cup of coffee for her father who is watching a baseball game in the den. “Home run! Score! He made it! I knew he’d do it! He’s the best player the team’s got!” Shouts the different men entertained by the movement on the field through the big screen.



Emma looks up surprised to find Harriet and Robert talking in the hallway. Harriet is standing twisting her hair around her finger chomping loudly on some bright green gum rocking back and forth on her foot smiling up at Robert. He is standing in front of her but is resting one arm on the wall directly above her head with one leg crossing the other at the calf with his other hand in the pocket of his faded jean jacket while talking to her. His eyes are bright and he seems tickled by whatever wisdom Harriet is sharing with him at the moment.



Emma is a little perturbed that Harriet seems to be so taken with Robert Martin. She has been contemplating for the last couple of days that she needs to widen Harriet’s horizons. In that she is not interested in Lt. Elton, it seems that he might be an excellent choice for Harriet because they are both single and her friends. Elton likes photography but Harriet is also a bit of an artist in that she likes to work with graphic arts. Some of her posters for camp have been absolutely amazing. Emma can already picture them getting along quite well with each other. Robert Martin doesn’t have Elton’s dignity or refinement. Elton will be able to bring out all of those qualities in Harriet even if she has a few rough edges at the moment. She is definitely a gem in the making.



“Harriet, when you have a chance and you are able to break away, I would like to introduce you to some people. I’m sure Robert won’t mind if I steal you away for awhile” smiling at him while Emma takes Harriet by the arm linking it with her own to give her guidance to walk in the opposite direction of the house.



“Oh. Ok. I’ll see you later Robert. It is going to be so much fun at camp this week!” shouts Harriet waving goodbye to him with her fingers rotating back and forth.



The girls walk upstairs past the entry way and through the kitchen to the backyard. Knightly and Elton are standing at the grille drinking iced pink lemonade to keep them cool in the humidity and heat.



Jennings and Mrs. Dashing are resting on green and yellow checked lounge chairs on the wooden fenced deck. As Emma walks up she notices Jennings resting under her large dark sunglasses and rolled up sleeves of her t-shirt that reads “It’s taken me years to look this good!” Emma smiles because Jennings is one of her favorite Home League ladies.



While lifting up her glasses feeling that someone is watching her, Jennings remarks without the question being asked “I’m getting a tan! I’ve put some baby oil on and hoping that it works. It was cheaper than the tanning lotion. I don’t like to have a farmer’s tan on my arms during the summer. It doesn’t look right in a sundress or a bathing suit. But I guess you can’t go around wearing a bathing suit all day. I’ve tried but it is very uncomfortable and people look at you funny when you go to the grocery store and all you are trying to do is to pick up more ice cream for dessert.”



Shyly chuckling Emma begins “Jennings, this is Harriet my friend from Lima, Peru. She is working with Camp America at Camp Long Branch this summer. She is going to be living with Alice Hammer for the year while working at the Devon Outpost with Mrs. Dashing”.



“I’ve heard all about you! Mrs. Dashing is so pleased that you are coming” as Jennings shoves the lounge chair next to her bumping Mrs. Dashing’s straw hat with a round yellow plastic sunflower to the ground and waking up a frazzled Mrs. Dashing deeply dozing in the dreams of her afternoon nap.



Coming to her senses, Mrs. Dashing sees Harriet bending down in front of her trying to pick up her fallen hat which Harriet kindly gives back to her. In the meantime Jennings continues “Robert Martin and his sisters can’t seem to stop talking about you! If I didn’t know better, I’d say he has a bit of a crush on you. But in my opinion, it is much more fun to keep them guessing. It keeps some excitement in the relationship. However, you might need to eventually tell him before he runs off and finds somebody else.”



Harriet blushes and giggles “It is good to meet you too! I’ve heard so much about you!” Taking a quick glance at Emma for subconscious approval, she responds “Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to keep that in mind. I wouldn’t want him forgetting about me.”



“It is good to see you again Harriet. I’m looking forward to us working together in a couple of weeks. You will be a great help to the Outpost and to me as well” warmly explains Mrs. Dashing “I think that I have stayed in the sun a little too long and I am looking a little crisp from the baby oil. I’m going to head back inside and try to cool down a bit. Good to see both of you girls again!” She slowly wobbles back into the kitchen. It appears she will be using a large bottle of aloe vera tonight on her cherry skin.



“So have you had some food for you picnic yet?” asks Jennings putting on her rainbow flip flops and stretching as she stands up “Have you tried my bacon and baked beans concoction? I added a hint of surprise in it, but I’ll share my secret as long as you promise not to tell anyone”.



After a short pause of silence, both Emma and Harriet shake their heads and agree not to tell. “It is a touch of tobacco sauce and a dash of horseradish sauce. It gives a little spice and a bit of kick. For those who like their sweetness, I still keep the brown sugar in too.”



Emma raises her eyebrows and makes a mental note to skip the hot beans. She wonders if anyone else thought to bring some baked beans for the BBQ. “That is an interesting combination. I haven’t tried that one before.”



“I’ve got plenty of secrets in my recipes. Let me know when you want to cook something special, I can probably help you out” offers Jennings.



“Thanks. I’ll let you know” states Emma nodding to Jennings.



Jennings continues “But Harriet you need to come over and give me some cooking lessons about South American food. I would like to learn some traditional dishes that I can serve for my friends.”



“Sure. Alice Hammer wants to learn too. Maybe we can make a girl’s night of it. What do you think?” asks Harriet.



“Sounds like a plan to me. Give me a call and I’ll be there” offers Jennings giving Harriet an unexpected bear hug “You are a sweetie. Don’t let anybody change you and that includes Emma too” with a thoughtful but joyful glance towards Emma.



“You don’t have to worry about that. Emma likes me just the way I am” explains Harriet “and we’re good friends too.” Jennings smiles and walks by Harriet confidentially patting Emma on the shoulder “You are doing a great job with Mr. Weston and Ann by the way. They seem quite content with each other” observes Jennings. She points in the direction of the park bench in the landscaped backyard where Mr. Weston and Ms. Taylor seem happily engrossed in a heartfelt conversation. Emma smugly smiles at the acknowledgement of her achievement.



Thinking to herself “Now on to other conquests” Emma notices Elton flipping the hamburgers on the grille chatting away to Knightly who is throwing a handful of a few mixed nuts in his mouth while waiting for the food to cook on the grille.



“Did everyone get their plastic cup? You can keep them. I have a permanent black marker here if you want to write your name in the space provided” announces Elton. The insulated cups were found in Precise Kit Promotion boxes in the corps attic with the Crestwood name and address left over from community care distribution with the slogan “Heart to God and Hand to Man” from years ago. Although out of date from the current branding, Elton decided to use them for corps fellowship coffee breaks before the morning worship service, at men’s club and Home League activities since most of them enjoy coffee or tea.



Emma walks up to Elton with a plan in her head. “Hi! It is good to see you again. I’ve brought my friend, Harriet along with me whom I would like you to meet”.



Harriet provides a friendly smile and wave. Elton nods to Harriet but keeps his attention focused on Emma as she continues speaking in a sing-song voice. “I was surprised to find how much you have in common with each other. You are both new to the area. You both like artistic endeavors. You are a photographer and Harriet is a graphic artist. Elton, you know Spanish and that is Harriet’s first language. You both like music. It was like you were meant to meet each other. Don’t you agree?”



Elton is concentrating on the burning coals which have gotten too hot from accidently pouring too much lighter fluid on the coals. He doesn’t hear most of what Emma is trying to say to him except for her last three words.



“Yes! I couldn’t be more certain!” adds Elton not wanting Emma to think he is not listening to her. Emma turns to Harriet and looks her directly in the eyes. Harriet is eagerly excited at being so complimented when she barely knows him.



Trying to keep Emma near him, he engages Harriet in further conversation “So, how long have you been in the states? How long will you be staying?”



“I’ve been here for eight weeks now and hopefully if my visa works out, I’ll be working at the Devon corps for a year” explains Harriet “We should be seeing a lot of each other. You should come by some time” and not wanting to leave Emma out of the conversation “Emma will probably be there sometimes too.”



“I’ll have to do that. Emma and you are an interesting pair. I think it would be fun to spend some time together. There are lots of things that I haven’t been able to do yet in the city and Emma can be our tour guide” states Elton anticipating future times together.



Emma is thrilled at the freedom of the opportunity to use her matchmaking skills. “I would be delighted to show my new friends around the city. There are so many exciting and fun things to do. Let me know when you are available and I will take care of all of the arrangements.”



Elton ecstatically looks at Emma and Harriet. “This will be a wonderful adventure” he thinks to himself. As he grabs the serving plate he shrieks “Oww that’s hot!” He grabs a hot pad and picks up the plate again.



Harriet offers “I’ll take that in for you so you can finish cooking the hot dogs and the rest of the hamburgers. I’ll be right back”. She grabs the hot pad and plate from Elton taking it into Jane who is still putting together the last touches on the potluck buffet.



Knightly has been standing close by watching and listening to the whole conversation. He has already picked up on Emma’s motives but intuitively correctly believes that Elton has missed the point all together. Elton is aiming for another bull’s eye rather than the proposed target at hand.



“Emma, would you carry in this last plate for me? I’m going to work on cleaning up the grille somewhat before joining everyone else” asks Knightly.



“If I must …” mockingly jokes Emma “How was your week? Did everything go rather smoothly after getting back to the office? Sorry that I kept you so late on Monday night watching a couple of my favorite chick-flick movies” apologetically but not entirely sincerely offers Emma.



“I didn’t mind, they weren’t so bad. Everything went on as normal at the office which is a relief to me. I have a good staff and they know how to keep things going well even when I am not there” frankly explains Knightly.



Elton has followed Harriet into the kitchen area along with everyone else filling their Hallmark plates with a printed cartoon character at the center. Knightly and Emma are left standing outside. “I think you might want to leave Elton alone. He has his own agenda. I really don’t want to see anyone getting hurt” offers Knightly “He is a smart guy. He can make his own decisions about his life.”



Misunderstanding Knightly’s concern Emma begins “No one is going to get hurt. We’re only going out as friends to get to know each other better. Don’t worry about it. As long as Harriet is happy, what difference does it make how and what help they have to get together anyway?”



Knightly intently looks at her for a moment but decides to keep the last words of advice to himself realizing that they won’t be accepted by Emma at this moment. “Well, let’s not talk about it anymore. It probably won’t matter what I think anyway. I’d rather talk than argue with you.”



Emma squints and smirks not knowing exactly if he is mocking her or telling the truth but finally decides to add “I suppose I like talking to you too. Except I wish that you wouldn’t tell me what to do. I’m too old for you to do that now.”



Ms Bates stumbles outside over the threshold of the door “I’ve been looking around for the two of you. I did a head count and I knew that there were two people missing but I couldn’t figure out who they were. And look who they are … It is both of you! I don’t know why no one else noticed that there were two people missing, but I did. We don’t want to leave anyone out. Why don’t you come inside? Then everyone will be together and we will no longer be missing the two of you.”



Emma and Knightly step in front of her while Ms. Bates follows behind making sure that everyone has made it inside for the feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment