Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Salvationist- Chapter Seven

Emma changes her clothes into white shorts and a light pastel green cotton blouse. She is looking forward to the afternoon on Mr. Weston’s boat the “Blue Wish” with Ms. Taylor and even Knightly.



She looks at herself in the mirror as she ties back her hair into a pony tail. Then she applies a little makeup only to enhance her natural skin tones. Emma wonders if everything is going to work out as she hoped for Ms. Taylor and Mr. Weston. She considers if it were just up to her, they would be married by now and forget about all the beating-around-the-bush about their feelings for one another.



Her thoughts jump to her new best friend Harriet and Robert Martin. She doesn’t understand what Harriet sees in him. Robert doesn’t know the first thing about etiquette or when to say or not say something. He does have good qualities such as his sincerity and honesty. But really if Harriet has plans for her future where is Robert going to get her? “Who would help Harriet bring out the better qualities in herself?” Emma muses to herself. Suddenly an idea dawns on her as if a light bulb has lit up the world. “Elton! He’s single and Harriet’s age. Why not? What an excellent idea!” States Emma out loud quite pleased with her ingenuity.



“The next person I have to find someone for is Knightly. He is going to be tough to find a match. There are not many women out there who would put up with his nonsense or understand him. I don’t know why he has to tease me so much. I know what I am doing. He’s all right when he is just himself with me, but I get so tired of him telling me what I should and should not do. I guess he doesn’t exactly “tell” me but he certainly lets me know how he feels about it!” contemplatively thinks Emma recalling numerous occasions of a difference of opinion especially with Emma’s social concerns.



“I wonder what Grant Churchill will be like now. Mr. Weston is such a kind and thoughtful man, his son probably takes after him too. Jane Fairfax thinks he is good looking which he must be since she never mentions any guy one way or another. I personally don’t even think Jane notices anyone all that much because she is too wrapped up in her music to care” thoughtfully considers Emma as she puts in some earrings that she recently bought to match her outfit.



Slipping on her shoes, Emma takes one last long look in the mirror. “I look good. This is going to be a great afternoon with Knightly, Ms. Taylor and Mr. Weston. They are going to fall in love and be happy forever if I have anything to say or do about it. Knightly needs to get use to the idea of me being such a talented matchmaker. Who knows? He made need my assistance himself one day.” convincingly states Emma to herself walking out her bedroom door.



Honk! Honk! Impatiently taps Emma on the steering wheel. “It seems to be taking Knightly forever to come out of his hotel room this afternoon!” thinks Emma “I don’t want to be late!”



Knightly calmly walks out and comfortably settles himself next to Emma in the car seat. He is tanned and appropriately dressed in pressed khaki shorts and a forest green polo shirt wearing his sunglasses ready for a day on the lake. Emma huffs and burns rubber driving out of the parking lot as Knightly anxiously grasps the side of the door in intuitive response to the speed of the car.



Emma observes the white and black speed limit sign posted at the side of the road with the number “35 mph” in bold print. Arguing with Knightly about the intensity with which she is driving, Emma ignores the dark blue car approaching from behind.



In her rearview mirror lights flicker as Emma glances up to see what is causing the warning. Emma sulks, releases the gas petal and slowly pulls over to the side of the road.



A policeman in full official regalia walks confidently up to the driver side window. “Ma’am, I need to see your insurance and driver’s license. Do you know how fast you were going?”



“Actually no, I was too busy arguing with my friend here and accidently must have surpassed the speed limit” honestly replies Emma handing him her insurance card as it rips trying to get it out of the glove compartment.



“You were going 59 miles per hour. You were going ten miles over the speed limit. Fortunately today is not a school day but you need to slow down and be aware of your surroundings. It might have created a more dangerous situation than just an argument with a friend” frankly instructs the policeman.



As the policeman returns to his patrol car, Knightly smiles lightly smirking over to Emma pleased at the fact she has only one alternative and that is to slow down even if it does cause her to pay a hefty fine. Emma scowls at him.



The policeman returns with a long yellow piece of re-printable paper with additional copies in pink and white. “Call the court after this date to see when your fine is due” pointing to a number on the card “Hope you have a nice day and slow down to enjoy it!” nods the police officer tipping his hat with a grin.



“Look what you made me do!” displacing the blame for her own antics.



“I didn’t make you do anything. You choose to drive too fast and this was an obvious consequence to a choice that you made” retorts Knightly laughing at the situation.



“I guess you’re right. But you didn’t have to be so late and then I wouldn’t have felt the need to speed in order to get to the lake on time” defensively trying to explain her actions.



Knightly looks blankly at her and doesn’t respond other than pinching his lips avoiding something else that is coming to his mind in response. Knightly doesn’t want to let Emma know yet that he took extra time this afternoon getting ready for her.



“You’re right. I should have paid more attention. It’s not your fault. Forget what I said” offers Emma “Next time I’ll think twice about taking your life in my hands” and jokingly adds “I’ll try to find a better opportunity to do that instead.”



“Would you like me to drive?” asks Knightly noticing that she is still shaking a little from nerves at being pulled over.



“No, I’m fine. It has been a long time almost four years since I had my last ticket. I decided to park in a “no parking” zone that was only on Tuesdays for trash pickups. I forgot what day of the week it was and ended up having a parking ticket pasted to my windshield wiper. On most days I’m a pretty good driver” confidentially explains Emma “But thanks for asking.” Noticing that his offer was genuine and not in a spirit of mocking.



They arrive at the boat dock of Highbury Park. It is a beautiful summer day and the sun is glistening over the cool shimmering waters whose gentle current provides leeway against the starboards of the abreast vessels tied with brightly colored polyester rope to the damp sun beat dock.



Mr. Weston motions for them with a huge wave that involves his entire body. Ms. Taylor stands up beside him jumping and waving her hands in an effort to be noticed as well until she titters and loses her balance as Mr. Weston quickly comes to rescue holding her by the shoulders sharing a mutual smile. Ms. Taylor’s head drops in embarrassment having aided the boat in possibly capsizing.



Emma smugly turns to Knightly “See – everything is working out fine” as they approach the designated dark blue closed bow runabout. Mr. Weston offers a hand to Emma as he helps her climb the Jacob’s ladder into the boat. “Knightly, can you grab that bitter end of the rode and move the ground tackle to set us free. I have life-jackets for Emma and you in the forepeak with some other gear. Would you like to take a turn at the helm today?”



“Sounds great to me! It’s been awhile since I’ve had the opportunity of navigating a boat. Thanks so much!” appreciatively answers Knightly.



Let’s head out on the set. It will make the sailing a little more smoother. We might need to use the running lights because sundown will be approaching in the not too distant future. I still need to write our destination in the log though. We’ll follow the intra-coastal waterway.”



Mr. Weston moves to the back to sit with Ms. Taylor on the well-cushioned bench so that they can talk some more during the boat ride. Emma sits in the chair on the left while Knightly is steering at the helm on the right. The wind catches their hair in the nice warm coastal breeze.



A stocked refreshment cooler of sodas and lemonade sits in the middle with easy access for everyone. A blended fresh smell of tackle, fish, earthy algae, and musty water intricately mix and blend for a wonderful day on the lake. Ms. Taylor and Mr. Weston talk nearly non-stop all afternoon becoming better acquainted as they share many of their common interests with each other. Both wonder privately how they have been aware of each other for so long but never took the opportunity discover a deeper relationship.



As the boat floats in the calm water, Emma sips on a bottle of lemonade soaking in the sun. “I think that I could live forever like this. What do you think?” asks Emma.



“I think that this is one of the most relaxing days I have had in a very long time. The company is good too” compliments Knightly as his thoughts drift. He is not sure if it is the boat or Emma that has made the day so enjoyable.



“When do you go back to DHQ? Do you have to leave right away or are you staying around for awhile?” asks Emma hoping to see more of him.



“I’ll be at area command tomorrow and Tuesday. There are a couple of new hires in the direct mail department that I am supervising some training for with the new marketing program” explains Knightly “Hopefully I will be seeing you again tomorrow. What is on your schedule for the day?” asks Knightly.



“I’ll be at the office all day. I’m still working on some layouts for the back to school promotion that need to be given to the printers this week. Come by my office when you have a chance” suggests Emma.



“Sounds like a plan to me. I bring by some pictures Isabella sent me of the kids. I don’t know if you already have the same ones, but they are casual pictures of the family from their last visit” explains Knightly.



As the sun begins set in its golden hues of orange, crimson, and amber after a lazy afternoon on the lake Mr. Weston confidently guides them back to the dock.

No comments:

Post a Comment