Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Salvationist - Chapter Nine

Emma hears the sound of a beep before speaking on Ms. Taylor’s voice mail, “Hi! This is Emma. I was calling to see if you were coming over tonight for dinner? Mr. Weston, Knightly, and Lt. Elton are joining us as well. I told Mr. Weston you were coming and he is really looking forward to seeing you again. I was wondering if you would like to come over a little early and help me with dinner. How does five sound? Just leave a message and I’ll get back to you or see you then.”



“I hope she comes earlier so I can help her with applying some makeup and creating an attractive hairstyle for the evening. Mr. Weston is going to be so taken away, he won’t know what to do” thinks Emma to herself as she ponders potential events for the evening’s events.



The afternoon slowly drags on. Emma watches the clock tick it minutes away without moving at a speed in which she finds acceptable. She catches up and finishes some work that has been set to the side because of not being an immediate concern. She reviews her calendar for the month adding various social items that she might want to attend or be a part of.



At exactly 4:30 pm Emma has her purse on her shoulder and keys in hand walking out the main door of the lobby. Even though Emma is exempt, she tries to put in a daily full-time schedule to set an example for the other employees. The truth is that she spends many hours outside of the office on week-ends or during her free time working on projects that she feels will be beneficial to the Army as a whole. She is very sensitive to the fact she is working for a non-profit agency and mission whose primary purpose is service and caring for others.



Returning home with bags of groceries for dinner, she sets the dining room table with sage cloth napkins and silver table rings. She enjoys entertaining and setting a fancy table for guests even if it is a typical ordinary dish of spaghetti. She starts dinner in the kitchen and hears the door bell ring.



Walking to the door in a t-shirt and cotton capri pants, she answers to find Jane with glasses cascading down her nose and gentle wisps of hair falling out of place standing in front of her with an overwhelming stack of music in her hands. “Hi! I brought some music over for us to go through for singing company like you asked last week. I’m sorry that I’m late. Mrs. Bates had a few instructions for me before I left.”



“Oh I forgot, but come on in! Have you had supper yet?” asks Emma a little embarrassed that she forgot her appointment that she set up with Jane earlier that week “Would you like to stay? A few of the corps people are coming over tonight including Lt. Elton.”



“No. I haven’t had dinner. If you don’t mind, I’d like to stay. I haven’t had a chance to officially meet the new lieutenant yet. Will Knightly be here too? Mrs. Bates told me that he was at area command today” asks Jane.



“Yes, he’s coming” Emma wonders how Mrs. Bates could know he was at area command because she wasn’t “Mr. Weston and Ms. Taylor are coming too. She should be here any moment. I may need your help finishing dinner while I help Ms. Taylor get ready for the evening.”



“Sure, anything I can do to make things a little easier for you tonight. Thanks for inviting for dinner” graciously responds Jane “I like to cook. I’ll follow you to the kitchen after I set my books down by the piano. We can practice later.”



As Emma finishes showing Jane where all the cookware is stored and setting out everything for the meal, the door bell rings again. “It must be Ms. Taylor. Thanks so much for helping me. I’m going to be busy for the next little while helping her.”



“Hello! It’s so good to see you again! How was your day? Are you enjoying your summer break from school?” asks Emma.



“Yes, I went down to Highbury Park again today to sit under the shade and enjoy the beautiful setting of the park while I read and did some creative writing. I don’t have much of a chance to write during the year because I’m usually working on lesson plans or grading papers of my students in the evenings” explains Anne Taylor.



“I thought that it might be fun, if you are interested in doing a bit of a makeover tonight before the other guests arrive. What do you think?” asks Emma.



Surprised but happy Ann Taylor replies, “I was hoping that you would offer. I was going to try and get up the courage to ask you if you had time when I arrived. I would really like to look a little more ‘special’ this evening” hunching her shoulders and grinning suspecting that the reason is quite obvious to Emma.



“Well let’s see. I’ve got plenty of supplies and ideas. Why don’t you come upstairs with me and we will see what we can find. I’m sure Mr. Weston will appreciate our effort” states Emma with a wink.



“What do you think of this?” asks Emma pulling a red dress from her closet.



“I think that might be a little too dramatic for me, even though it is very stunning” compliments Ann.



“Here’s another one. You can never go wrong with a little black dress” explains Emma.

“I think black might be too dark for summer. I’m sure it looks beautiful on you” offers Ann not comfortable with the idea of wearing something completely slimming.



“What about this one?” inquires Emma holding up a retro floral pastel yellow and pink sundress to Ann’s chin and shares “These are good colors for you.”



“I like that one very much! Can I try it on first?” asks Ann wanting to make sure that the dress looks nice on her and she will feel good wearing it.



“The bathroom is in the corner. Once you have it on, come out so I can see the dress too” states Emma pleased that she has finally found a dress in her closet to Ann’s approval.



After a few moments, Ann walks out. She looks ten years younger and very happy. The dress accentuates her figure in ways that her typical work clothing does not. “I think Mr. Weston is going to love this dress on you!”



“Now it is time to work on the hair and makeup!” exclaims Emma excited by her new temporary project.



Emma puts Ann’s hair in a French twist allowing for curled wisps to gently fall against each cheek. Digging through her makeup case, she finds foundation, translucent powder, blush, mascara, and lip gloss that will match Ms. Taylor’s skin tones enhancing her natural beauty. It is the most beautiful she has ever seen Ms. Taylor look and is quite impressed with her own effort. “You look fabulous! Look at yourself in the long mirrors on my closet door. Each of the four closet doors to the walk-in closet is entirely made of mirrors so Anne doesn’t have any trouble picking one to look into.



Ann twirls in her new dress, staring at her reflection previously unaware that she could be so attractive. She touches her cheek and stares for a moment as tears well up in her eyes.



“Don’t cry. It’s just you with a bit of color. You are a very beautiful person and now your outside matches your inside as well” encourages Emma not wanting her to feel uncomfortable in her new outfit “I have some matching heels in the closet. I think we wear about the same shoe size too.”



As Ann follows Emma down the stairs Mr. Woodhouse is reading his paper in the lounge chair in front of the fireplace in the grand room. As Mr. Woodhouse glances at the movement in the peripheral view of his paper he states “My! Who do we have here? Is this our Ms. Taylor? You look lovely tonight, my dear.”



“Thank you Mr. Woodhouse. You are very kind. Emma helped me pick a few clothes and do my hair today. She deserves all the credit” blushes Ann.



“She may have done the decorating, but you dear are the beauty” compliments Mr. Woodhouse in his particular kind of way smiling acknowledging Emma’s effort and kindness.



“After hearing Emma’s voice from the other room Knightly walks into the grand room from the kitchen chomping on a carrot he randomly found in the refrigerator. He stops in his tracks when he notices Ms. Taylor standing next to Mr. Woodhouse. He looks over to Emma raising his eyebrows finding it unbelievable that a hint of makeup and a new dress could make that kind of transformation. “Ms. Taylor, you look wonderful tonight!”



“Thank you so much Knightly.” Ann trying to change the subject diverts the conversation to the topic of desserts “I brought my homemade banana cream pie for dessert. I hope that you will like it.”



“Anything you make is always delicious!” sincerely offers Knightly in return still finding it unfathomable at the change in Ms. Taylor’s demeanor.



The doorbell rings Emma answers the door to find Mr. Weston and Lt. Elton standing in front of her. Elton is making an extra effort to wipe off the remains of mud after having taken a step off the sidewalk to the door. “Hello! Come on in. Dinner is about ready. I’m so glad that you could come!” invites Emma extending her hand into the entry way.



“I brought these for you, Emma” offers Mr. Weston handing her a fresh bouquet in pink shaded mirage of carnations, chrysanthemums, freesias, and heather as a welcome gift that he purchased before coming in the florist section at the local grocery store.



“They’re beautiful! I’m going to find a vase and we will use them for the center piece on the dining room table tonight!” appreciatively states Emma as she walks toward the dining room to find a crystal vase in her great grandmother’s china cabinet.



Mr. Weston looks around and cautiously walks into the grand room a little nervous about seeing Ann again. Elton puts his hands in the pockets of his khaki pants and walks confidently into the other room to the side of Mr. Weston.



“Our guests have finally arrived! So, good to see you again Mr. Weston! It is always a wonderful day when your best friend comes to visit! I must not forget Lieutenant too . . . thanks for coming to my home and I am sure in time we will be good friends as well” warmly greets Mr. Woodhouse very pleased with the company of so many visitors in his home.



Ann Taylor has been quietly sitting in the corner listening to the International Songster music being played throughout the high tech home theater system of the home waiting for Mr. Weston to arrive. While greeting everyone in the room, Mr. Weston has been looking around to see if Ann is there yet. He doesn’t realize the woman sitting in the large recliner with her back to him is Ann. “Is Ann coming tonight? Was she able to make it?” curiously asks Mr. Weston to Emma bringing in a tray of stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer for her friends.



“Yes, didn’t you notice? Ms. Taylor has been with you in the room the entire time!” chuckles Knightly realizing that Mr. Weston is deeply blushing while he makes the statement.



Ann widely smiles waving over to him from across the room, “I’m here. I’ve been listening to the music”.



Mr. Weston looks at down at his shoes with his hands behind his back for a moment a little embarrassed but quite pleased that Ann looks so lovely tonight. “Hello. You look very nice this evening. It is so good to see you again” as Mr. Weston walks towards her trying to scope out a free seat somewhere near the vicinity where she is sitting.



Jane and Emma put out all the dishes on the dinning room table to make sure everything is ready to go before inviting the guests in to their assigned places. She fills the glasses with sweet tea and ice water while hot hazelnut roasted coffee brews in the kitchen to go with dessert.



“Everyone is welcome to join me in the dining room for dinner!” cheerfully announces Emma satisfied with her efforts for this evening.



“Dad, you are sitting at the head of the table. Mr. Weston and Ms. Taylor you are sitting here” pointing to the right side of the table “Knightly, you are sitting next to Ms. Taylor” Emma takes a breath as they locate their places before continuing. “Lt. Elton, you are sitting next to Jane with me on your other side next to my father” explains Emma. Everyone seems content with where they are sitting.



“Jane, I haven’t had much of a chance to talk with you this evening. You’ve been busy cooking in the kitchen. Was this by your choice or did Emma rope you in?” asks Knightly sitting directly across from her.



“I don’t mind cooking and I offered to help Emma. It is one of my favorite things to do” quietly offers Jane.



“What are some of your best dishes?” politely asks Knightly engaging her in conversation knowing that she is a little shy and wants her to feel included.



“I like trying new recipes. My favorite channel is the Food Network. I don’t know that I exactly have a favorite. I do enjoy Thai food though. Anything with curry would probably top the list” explains Jane a little more comfortable with Knightly.



“I watch the Food Network some times. What shows do you like to watch?” asks Knightly intrigued to discover her answer.



“I like “Ace of Cakes”, “Bobby Flay”, “Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations” on the Travel Channel and “Paula Dean” any day” thoughtfully considers Jane.



“I like “Ace of Cakes” too!” adds Anne “I pick up a lot of creative ideas for some birthday and wedding cakes of my own. I like Duff’s team of artists too. They are funny and interesting. “Cake Boss” is a hoot to watch with all the family members as well!



“Which reminds me, have any of you had the Donut Girl donuts that were sold in grocery stores a few years ago?” asks Elton.



“Yes, actually I have. The cinnamon cake donuts were very good. I believe they were sold in Ralph’s grocery stores for awhile in a white box with a Donut Girl on the front. They were made to commemorate the Sally lassies in 1917 who gave out free donuts to the soldiers of World War I in France using a wine bottle as a rolling pin and steel helmets to fry the flour mixture on an 18 inch stove” explains Mr. Weston.



“I haven’t had the donuts, but had some great “Donut Girl Coffee” from Minnesota whose proceeds went to The Salvation Army” offers Knightly “At divisional headquarters, we gave bags to our Advisory Board, Women’s Auxiliary members and some other donors too.”



“There is a “National Donut Day” in June. Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts help the SA to celebrate the donut girl anniversary by giving out a free donut to each customer” explains Emma “It is a wonderful tradition and their kind generosity helps the Army a lot”.



“All this talk of cakes and donuts makes me hungry for dessert! Jane, dinner was absolutely delicious but I am ready for some pie now!” enthusiastically expresses Mr. Woodhouse rubbing his hands together at the thought of a slice of some of Ann’s creations.



Emma, Jane and Anne help to remove the plates to the kitchen. Placing her handful of dishes into the dishwasher Emma energetically asks Ann, “So how is it going? Are you and Mr. Weston having a good time tonight?”



“Henry is always interesting to talk to. We have a good time together” returns Ann happy and content.



“Ooo … ‘Henry’ now! Henry and Ann - I like those names together!” giggles Emma slightly teasing Ann but very happy that things are going so well between them.



Wiping her hands on her canary yellow Women’s Ministries apron given out on Women’s Sunday to match the annual theme “Bountiful Blessings” last year, Jane carefully places the various slices of Coconut, Banana, and Chocolate crème pies on the Royal Doulton “old country roses” pattern china plates that Emma has chosen to use for the occasion.



As Emma enters the dining room, she sees Jane place a piece of pie in front of Knightly. He smiles up at her sweetly and Jane returns his smile. For a second, Emma senses a tinge of jealousy which is out of character. “Knightly has seemed comfortable talking with Jane all evening but is he becoming interested?” Emma thinks to herself unsure of the answer to her own question.



“Thank you, Jane. Dinner was wonderful. You are so talented in many areas” graciously comments Knightly “There is always something new to discover about you!” Happily Jane smiles at being complimented so nicely in front of everyone.



Emma stares at Knightly for a brief moment. She doesn’t remember Knightly ever being that kind to her or complimenting her in that way. She glances skeptically over to Jane wondering if she is interested in Knightly. She considers for a moment that they actually do share common hobbies and interests but the idea of helping to match them up is entirely too uncomfortable and unsettling for her. Jane is not supposed to like Knightly in her opinion. Knightly doesn’t know what he is doing either. Emma sets the pie in front of her father and then Elton.



Elton looks up to Emma and gently taps her hand “thank you”. Emma grins back at him but engrossed in her own thoughts. “Emma, you are a terrific hostess! You have made all of us feel to welcome and at home. You must come over to my house sometime and I can cook for you.”



Ann and Jane smile catching Emma’s eyes and giggle a little to themselves in that Elton has basically invited her on a date in front of everyone. Emma sees their reaction and responds, “Dinner would be very nice some time. I’m sure Jane and Ms. Taylor would enjoy the meal as well”.



Elton looks a little concerned at Emma fearing that she has misunderstood his intent that he would like to spend some time alone with specifically her. “Yes, that would be nice. However, I would enjoy the opportunity for cooking and hearing your expert advice on my culinary talents” Elton states emphasizing the word “your” while looking directly at Emma.



“I’m sure that it will happen some time. We are all going over to your house for a BBQ on Saturday and you can show me some of your cooking talents then” states Emma trying not to turn down Elton’s offer in front of her friends.



Affectionately Knightly amusingly observes this whole verbal routine sipping his smooth coffee and savoring each bite of his pie. Earlier in the day, he was concerned about Emma’s interest in Elton but it seems fairly obvious that she has no personal designs on him - at least for the moment.



Mr. Weston offers to follow Ms. Taylor home to make sure that she arrives safely. He suggests that Elton ride in Jane’s car even though she will be technically riding by herself the rest of the way home but the Bates home is only a couple of blocks from the quarters.



After everyone has left Mr. Woodhouse turns to Knightly “Would you like to stay for awhile and watch some TV with me in the den? My favorite show is on.”



“Yes, I think that I can spare a little more time before returning home. I brought some more books that are in my car that I thought you might enjoy reading as well by Henry Gariepy, Terry Camsey, David Laeger and Marlene Chase” kindly offers Knightly.



“Thank you. I’ve been looking for something new to read for my library. I like the books that you bring to me” thoughtfully answers Mr. Woodhouse as he rocks in front of the big screen TV covered by his thermal blanket and slippers with a cup of hot cocoa that Emma has made for him as she does every night. It is in a room stocked with books on every shelf and also in stacks as well to fill in every empty crevice of space in the large dark wood floor to ceiling bookcases. “Many of my books are also hand-me-downs from Mr. Weston. He likes to read about history and so you will find many of my books have his name printed in the front cover”.



Knightly rests back leisurely in the comfortable sofa resting his feet on the large ottoman in front of him. Knightly enjoys talking with Emma’s dad when he comes to visit. Mr. Woodhouse almost feels like a second father to him since he has known him for so long. Knightly is glad that Mr. Woodhouse was able to retire as a state court judge when he did. He has not been so well since he retired in the last few years. Once her sister left home to marry his brother, Emma has been a good caregiver and attuned to his needs. Mr. Woodhouse is getting older. He suspects that anyone whom Emma marries will also be living with a father-in-law too since Mr. Woodhouse is attached to Emma but also in need of some physical care since his stroke a few years before.



As he is contemplating Emma’s future, she walks in wearing sweats and a faded youth councils t-shirt from a few years ago without makeup and with her hair pulled back looking quite different that she did earlier that evening. She dramatically plops down on the couch with a bowl of popcorn making Knightly lightly bump up in the air as well as a few kernels. Knightly thinks that he likes being around Emma whether she is dressed up or as she is now, it really doesn’t matter to him because he enjoys her chatter and self in just about every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment