Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Salvationist - Chapter Four

Looking over her schedule, Emma realizes that she needs to take some photos for the PR spread for the “Tools for School” drive. There are good media relationships with Channel 7 organizing drop off sites at some local office supply stores and the local Christian radio station 97.3 is doing a “Stuff the Bus” which are sponsoring the school supply drive this year. It is being advertised through the web, text message, and newspaper. The Target School Spree dates are set up for the corps to go shopping in August and everything else seems on track.



Crestwood is holding a “Back to School” party to distribute the supplies with the fire department bringing out the Smoke House with its Dalmatian costume mascot and also the police department offering free fingerprinting and their DARE cars on display. The Book Mobile from the library is coming so kids can sign up for library cards with their parents. Coaches will be there from the soccer program and the director of the After-school program at the corps to meet with parents and answer any questions that they might have. It is going to be a very fun day with bounce houses, carnival games and free hot dogs & popcorn distributed from the canteen. A women’s auxiliary member donated a snow cone and cotton candy machine too which will add an extra touch of fun to the day.



Driving to the mall Emma contemplates the organizational elements of this special day, she thinks about how much she enjoyed being a kid with her Wonder Woman lunch pail and bright pink and silver Barbie backpack. Jane had a trendy Bratz backpack when she came to visit which Mrs. Bates had bought for her. Sleepovers were always fun with plenty of goofy stories and adventures. In the summer, her dad would set up a tent outside in the backyard for extra amusement. Emma deeply breathes in and wishes that life were a little less complicated now.



People crowd next to her while rushing to the next store. A couple of teen girls slightly bump into her when passing engrossed in their conversation. She dodges a girl walking in the opposite direction texting on her phone oblivious to anyone around her. She notices to teen boys strutting down the hallway with a certain common hand motion and their baseball caps on backwards and wearing their jeans which are a size larger than need be. Emma walks through the town mall to capture ideas and to watch what the most current trends are for kids and teens. She wants the ad to be appealing to both the kids and the parents as well as provide donors of samples of what to purchase.



Finally coming to a Starbucks, she decides to take a break with a glass of passion tea lemonade. After ordering her drinks, Emma relaxes at a two seat table and leans back listening to the music by a new artist throughout the store.



Her rest is disturbed by a “Hey Emmaaa! I didn’t know you were coming to the mall!” Emma opens her eyes to see Harriet standing before her with dark curly hair dyed in green tips. Standing behind Harriet are two giggly sisters with similar hair styles and outfits of clothing.



“Hi Harriet! Hi Ashley and Katie Martin! What are you doing at the mall?” inquires Emma.



“Can’t you tell?” Eagerly asks Ashley.



“Well, it definitely looks like you have been to the salon. How did you decide who would tip their hair in each color?” politely asks Emma.



“It was Harriet’s idea that we draw for it. I got electric blue and as you can see Ashley chose her favorite color of fuchsia” enthusiastically responds Katie “but you haven’t seen the best part yet”.



“What are you talking about?” tepidly asks Emma “Am I missing something?”



“Youul nava guess whaut I did!” exclaims Harriet.



Emma raises her eyebrows “maybe you need to show me”.



Harriet complies by sticking out her tongue. Emma looks surprised and asks “Does it hurt?”



“Oh yeauh. Katie and Ashluy taulked me into it. I thunk it maoks me look greaut. Whaut do youu thunk?” asks Harriet.



“I think it looks like it is going to hurt for awhile, but it is interesting” practically replies Emma trying to be supportive of Harriet’s choice.



“I hauven’t figured out if the baull is going to vibrate whun I play my hourn” considers Harriet “but I guess it is tou laute nouw.”



“Umm, well that might be a little difficult” acknowledges Emma.



“Howdy! I didn’t know you were all at the mall this afternoon” greets Robert Martin walking up to them and joining the group “I’m on break from my job at Game Point and thought a cup of coffee sounded good. How is everyone?” As Robert places his arms around Harriet and his sister, Ashley, Harriet in response blushes and giggles with his friendliness. Robert is wearing his favorite python cowboy boots, faded Lee jeans, and a blue Wrangler gingham shirt with a matching blue undershirt.



“Where’s your black Stetson?” asks Katie.



Brushing his stringy dishwater blonde hair back with his hand as if realizing something is missing “It’s out in the truck.” informs Robert.



“It’s good to see you again Robert. It has been a long time” welcomes Emma “I think that it has been about two years. What are you doing now?”



“That’s right. I think the last time I saw you was a blind date set up by one of my friends. But that didn’t go so well” frankly states Robert scratching his head “However, it is good to see you again”.



Emma folds her arms and twist her lips for a second at the memory, but relaxes at his calm demeanor and openness. “Yes, that was a long time ago.”



“To answer your question, I’m currently working as the assistant manager at Game Point. We have the highest sales revenue at our store in the area. I designed a new display for the hot game that just came out which really took off” unabashedly answers Robert “It’s been a great promotion for the store” nervously nodding his head and biting his lip in agreement to his own statement.



“Tell Emma about what you are doing at the Devon Outpost too, Robert” requests Katie proud of her brother.



“I help every week at the Devon Outpost with Mrs. Dashing to feed the homeless and distribute blankets on the canteen. It is a great ministry because it gives me time to pray with people whom I might not otherwise come into contact with” honestly replies Robert “They are hurting and I am able for a few moments to offer them friendship and a little comfort”.



Emma is impressed with his compassion but doesn’t quite understand him. Harriet speaks up “I’ve been invited to help him this week and I can hardly wait! Robert has such wonderful stories that he tells.”



“That’s interesting, but you need to be careful” warns Emma “You never know what might happen to you.”



“Ashley and Katie will be there too. The Army is well-respected and loved. The community watches out for us in case someone new comes to the area who might be a potential problem until they get to know them better” Harriet provides in an attempt to comfort Emma’s concern.



“How long have you been doing this homeless ministry Robert?” asks Emma.



“For about four years now, it seemed to be the right thing to do in order to offer a practical service that reaches out to those in need” explains Robert “but I enjoy it too! I think that I get as much out of it as my new friends do. Maybe you can join us one week.”



“I’ll think about it” genuinely responds Emma.



“Emma, can you goube me a ribe home?” asks Harriet “Missus Haummer is wauting for me and the Martins have to go grousary shoupping for their mom”.



“If you don’t mind, I’ll give you a ride. I get off work in a half hour if you can wait until then. I can call Mrs. Alice Hammer for you to let her know that you will be a little late getting back” enthusiastically offers Robert.



“Okay!” rapidly nodding her head in response while Harriet crunches up her shoulders in excitement of spending some time with Robert without his sisters “She luves on Gothard laune”.



Emma smiles but not sure of what she thinks of Robert Martin. He has a history of being a little on the wild side of things in the past and not sure of what direction he is taking for his future. She makes a decision to talk to Harriet about Robert.



Ashley and Katie leave for the grocery store with Robert and Harriet trailing behind in the direction of Game Point. Emma throws away her empty cup in the recycle bins and walks toward the main anchor store focused back again on her project.



“Hey! What are you doing here? Skipping out on your job for the afternoon?” asks Knightly as Emma turns around surprised to see him.



“What a day! It seems like everyone is at the mall” responds Emma “What are you doing here?”



“I needed to buy a tie. I was being a bit of a klutz this morning and spilled coffee on the one I brought with me and accidently left my other tie at home” answers Knightly “What do you think of this one?” pulling the silk tie out of his shopping bag in a Armani box.



“It’s perfect! You do have good taste. I might have picked it myself.” Honestly replies Emma “to Imagine that we think alike is quite shocking.”



Knightly smirks but is pleased that Emma likes his choice. “What brings you here? You never answered my question.”



“I intentionally didn’t answer it but if you must know I am looking at some current trends for a photo shoot for the school supply drive this year” frankly remarks Emma.



“How many kids do you help in the city?” asks Knightly.



“All in all there are about 10,000 children that receive all kinds of school supplies as well as school uniforms in August. We work with the school counselors and agencies in order to reach those in the most need” frankly answers Emma.



“It always enlightening to hear what is happening around the division” states Knightly. “Since we are both here, would you like to join me for dinner tonight? Are you hungry?”



“Actually I am. Where would you like to go?” asks Emma.



“I’m thinking that Five Guys sounds good to me. How about that? Or do you have some other place in mind?” asks Knightly.



“A hamburger and onion rings sounds like just the thing at the moment. Do you want to take my car since it is outside this entrance?” asks Emma.



“I’ll follow you wherever you lead” jokingly replies Knightly.



Emma rolls her eyes at him and leans her head to the side and holds out her hand to direct him to the exit.



As they arrive at the restaurant, knightly orders her hamburger with mushrooms and many other condiments with a bag of fries. Emma contemplates the menu on the wall but ends up ordering a simple hamburger and onion rings.



“So are you enjoying work?” asks Knightly.



“Most days things to be going quite well. Lately it has been quite busy though getting ready for the school project with some details already surfacing in regards to Christmas even though it is still summertime!” Sighing states Emma as she thinks for a moment of the future. “How are things with you?”



“Actually everything is flowing smoothly. The mail appeal has picked up some this year which will help fund many outreach programs and social services in the division. I have a great team to work with including staff and officers in the division” reflectively remarks Knightly.



“So, have you met your new corps officer yet?” curiously asks Knightly “I had a chance to be introduced to him this year at congress a few weeks ago.”



“No, I will meet him on Sunday. He looks okay in his pictures. What do you think of him?” asks Emma.



Knightly takes a deep breath, “I think that I’ll let you meet him first before I share my opinion.”





“That’s not fair. If you won’t tell me about him, maybe you can answer this question: would you be friends with him?” asks Emma carefully analyzing his opinion.



“I think that I need to get to know him better to answer that question. There isn’t any obvious reason why we couldn’t be friends if that is what you are asking” vaguely answers Knightly.



“You are being rather mysterious in your response. It doesn’t really matter. I’ll make my own opinion as I do all the time anyway” smartly responds Emma.



Knightly looks at her and smiles. He is very aware and conscientious of her many opinions about everything from the color of a carpet to her ideas of the complexity of various relationship issues.



“Hello you two! It looks like everyone is in the mood for a hamburger today!” exclaims Mr. Weston “May I join you for dinner? I thought that I would grab a quick bite for dinner before heading home.”



“This seat is for you!” returns Knightly “So did everything come together since the meeting this morning?”



“Quite well and very happy with the results” offers Mr. Weston “I wish Grant was here, he would do such a good job in helping us pull everything together. It would be good to have some company too.”



Suddenly an idea pops into Emma’s mind “Mr. Weston, are you busy on Friday night?”



“No, my only plans are to watch a little TV” answers Mr. Weston.



“Well, I’ve been invited over to Ms. Taylor’s for dinner. She is a great cook and always cooks more than the two of us can eat. Would you like to join us for dinner on Friday?” asks Emma with a twinkle of an eye at Knightly.



“I would love too. Ms. Taylor is a lovely woman and I agree, she does make the best dinners at the corps potlucks. Do you think she would mind the extra company?” Mr. Weston asks hoping that it will not be a problem.



“I’m sure she will be delighted. She is always noticing and saying how much she appreciates everything you do at the corps and wishes that there was time to get to know you better. This is the perfect opportunity” offers Emma and then turning to her side “Knightly can also come if he wants to”.



“Thank you for the invitation but I have to be back at DHQ by then” states Knightly keenly aware of Emma’s scheming.



“That’s too bad. Well then, it will just have to be the three of us and I’m sure we will have a wonderful time together” firmly responds Emma and touching Mr. Weston’s arm “Ms. Taylor is going to be so excited that you are able to join us for dinner!”



After they finish a refreshing dinner, Emma drives Knightly back to the mall to pick up his car. He offers a bit of wisdom as he leaves, “Emma, please remember to take care of yourself while you allow yourself to get in the mix of the lives of everyone else. Their lives will happily go on whether you are involved or not.”



“I know, I know, I know. You don’t need to worry. It will all work out. I know it” retorts Emma with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment