Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Salvationist - Chapter Fifteen

“Finished!” as Emma leans back to review her work “Thank you Harriet for taking a photo of mine and combining your creative graphic talents to make something quite wonderful!”



Harriet agrees “This is great! I tried to use the colors that I thought would blend the best with your Christmas photo. I added a few special effects and changed the scope a little. It does look quite good, I think!”



“What are you girls working on today?” asks Elton stopping by area command to drop off some mails and other pamphlets for printing. He confidently walks into Emma’s office as she sits at her computer putting some final touches on her work.



As Elton walks around the table he asks “Did you do this? This is fantastic!”



“Emma and I worked on it together. It is for the Christmas donor campaign. Emma took the pictures and I did some graphic art work to enhance it a bit” explains Harriet.



“This is an amazing image! How long did it take you to come up with the concept?” states Elton truly surprised at the quality of the picture.



“It didn’t take too long. I took the original picture and Harriet’s imagination ran with it” offers Emma “Harriet is a true artist.”



“I agree. Emma this photo is spectacular! I don’t think that I have every seen anything like it. Harriet you did an excellent job bringing out the mood of Christmas behind the photo.”



“Would you email me a copy? I want to send it to my session mates and other officer friends in the territory so they can use it for their kettle campaigns. Is this all right with you?” asks Elton with great enthusiasm.



“Yes!” states Emma excitedly smiling at Harriet “I’m so glad you are impressed with Harriet’s work and taking it to another level that will be helpful to so many people!” agrees Emma thrilled that Elton is so impressed with Harriet.



“It is a pleasure. I don’t think I’ve ever been so astounded by such ingenuity. Your vision has inspired me!” promotes Elton as Emma prints a hard copy for him. “I’m going to frame this and hang it on my wall during the Christmas season to motivate me each day!” He looks at his watch. “I’m sorry that I can’t stay too long today but we will have to meet sometime for lunch next week.”



“We’ll be there. Just let us know where and when you would like to go” responds Emma overjoyed at Elton’s obvious interest in Harriet’s talent as Elton leaves to return to Crestwood.



Emma takes Harriet to Luigi’s for lunch because of their tasty bread and delectable Italian soups. “Really Harriet, I think Elton is taken with you. Have you noticed everything that he is doing lately?”



“To be honest, I have noticed. He has been very friendly towards me. He is a really nice guy” offers Harriet sincerely but without much excitement searching through her salad for a few seasoned croutons.



“I think Elton would be such a great match for you. He’s smart, attractive, and a great preacher. He’s interested in you too!” encourages Emma.



“I think that he is rather sweet towards me. I like being around him. He always does such unexpected things” contemplates Harriet looking up from her plate “but to be honest with you, Robert Martin is the one that I really like.”



“Robert? Are you serious? Robert? Why Robert? Robert is not as refined at Elton. Robert is always doing something goofy. Elton has it together. Why would you like Robert?” accusingly asks Emma not liking Robert not because of anything he has actually done but because of previous past history between them.



Harriet looks hurt as she timidly tries to explain her feelings to Emma “Robert is such a wonderful guy. He makes me feel like I am a princess. He is so caring not just about me but other people too. Robert and I get along really well”.



“You need to put Robert out of your mind. You could do so much better, Harriet. You need to set your sights a little higher. You would have a really bright future with Elton” explains Emma ignoring Harriet’s feelings and desires.



“Robert sent the most beautiful text last night. See - look at it on my phone” as Harriet pulls out the phone from her purse hanging on the back of her chair.



Emma takes the phone and reads it out loud “Dear heart, you are the sunshine of my life. Everything I do, I do it for you. You show me a whole new world. You’re always on my mind and I love you so. Because of you, I can breathe. You are my brown eyed girl. I can’t help falling in love. From this moment with these feelings, you fly me to the moon. I finally found someone who is the greatest love of all. I’ll never break your heart. I’m gonna be there for you. I love you always forever – Robert”



“Harriet, do you know what this is?” asks Emma.



“Yes. Robert is telling me he loves me” replies Harriet feeling that something is about to erupt.



“This is a list of song titles” frankly states Emma.



“I know, but they are all love songs. He’s telling me he loves me through the music” defensively explains Harriet “I thought it was a lovely way to tell me how he feels. I get it and I think that it is so sweet of him”.



“Robert is being silly. I’m sure he didn’t mean it the way you are taking it. Elton is the one who really cares about you - not Robert. He is just joking around” rationalizes Emma not liking the idea of Harriet liking Robert so much.



“I didn’t take it as a joke. I think he meant it” feeling a little defeated and confused explains Harriet.



“I think he was just having fun with you” explains Emma “I’m sure he wasn’t using it as a way to express his feelings towards you”.



“I don’t think he was making fun of me. He wouldn’t do that” replies Harriet but not so sure at Emma’s insistence that Robert’s motives were not what she originally believed.



“Robert is a fun guy. I’ll give you that. But he is joking. If he really cared about you or your feelings he wouldn’t use song titles to get his message across” practically explains Emma relying on her own personal experiences as a resource.



“I hope Robert isn’t making fun of me” states Harriet considering Emma’s logical argument “If he meant it in that way, he is really hurting my feelings. How dare he do that to me!”



“Elton isn’t like that. He would never do such a thing. He likes you too. I think that you ought to give him a chance” suggests Emma adding from her own assumptions “Elton won’t hurt you. He cares too much about you”.



Harriet’s phone rings. She looks at the number and sees that it is Robert’s cell. “I’m not answering that. I am not going to be his fool any day of the year” angrily determined states Harriet “I’m not going to let him treat me like that!” pushing the ignore button.



As they are sit finishing their lunch as Harriet seethes with disgust that she was the butt of Robert’s ill conceived joke Emma’s phone rings.



“Hello! Elton, it’s so good to hear from you! Harriet is with me right now . . . Sure, we would love to go to the Crestwood Annual Meeting with you as your guests . . .” Elton is on the other end of the line hearing the “we” word and hoping that Emma just means herself but not entirely sure.



“What time shall I pick YOU up?” asks Elton hoping that he is clarifying his invitation without stating it directly.



“Harriet and I will be ready about 6 pm if that is all right” offers Emma.



Elton is disappointed that she has included Harriet but figures that perhaps Emma knows of someone else that Harriet would like to see at the dinner. “Ok I’ll see you then. I look forward to seeing you on Friday!”



“He’s taking you on a date on Friday!” exclaims Emma.



“I can hardly wait! But it didn’t seem like he was inviting both of us to the dinner” clarifies Harriet.



“He only invited me along to be polite because he knew that I would be with you. Remember, he just saw us together at the office. Have you given him your phone number yet?” asks Emma already knowing the answer.



“No, I haven’t” considers Harriet.



“See, he had to call me in order to reach you. He knew exactly what time we would be together!” explains Emma “You need to give him your phone number the next time we are together. He was probably just too shy to ask before now!”



As Emma returns home that evening, she sees that Knightly is checking his Facebook and is on chat at the moment. She decides to update him on the recent current events.





Emma: Harriet is going on a date with Elton on Friday.


Knightly: Really? How did that happen?


Emma: He invited her to go to the Annual Meeting with him


Knightly: As a date?


Emma: Of course as a date! But I need to find a way to back out of going.


Knightly: Were you invited too?


Emma: Yes. I just answered the phone.


Knightly: Why was he calling your phone?


Emma: Because he doesn’t have Harriet’s number.


Knightly: I don’t think he was inviting Harriet.


Emma: Of course he was. He likes her. Haven’t you noticed?


Knightly: Elton doesn’t like Harriet. Robert does.


Emma: Robert does not! He sent a text making fun of her.


Knightly: What are you talking about? I talked to Robert about it.


Emma: You told him to make fun of her?


Knightly: I don’t know what you are talking about. He loves her.


Emma: He does not. Elton loves her.


Knightly: Elton might like Harriet, but he definitely not love her.


Emma: You don’t know anything.


Knightly: I know that you need to be careful.


Emma: I’m helping the right people get together.


Knightly: I think you should stay out of it.


Emma: Harriet needs my help. I’m working things out for her.


Knightly: You are causing problems. Harriet is not a project!


Emma: I care about Harriet. Elton likes her! I know it!


Knightly: Elton does not like Harriet. I know it for a fact.


Emma: You don’t know what you are talking about.


Knightly: Trust me. Robert deeply cares about Harriet.


Emma: She can do so much better than him though.


Knightly: As a friend, let your friends deal with their own love life.


Emma: I know what I am doing.

Knightly: Stay out of it! Good night.





















































































No comments:

Post a Comment